Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Cap Management
(03-16-2024, 03:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Everyone else is more creative. What is the end result? Bengals have one of the best playoff and regular season records the past 3 years. 

So, name every team that has had more success with their creativity the past 3 years. I assume you say all since that was what you said in this post. 

Hopefully the Bengals can get back to the AFCCG with Burrow healthy again, as the team is trending downward since the Super Bowl defeat.
Many expect it to become more challenging fielding a great team once the QB becomes expensive, but we're in the early stages of that for CIN.
The next two years will be very important to sustaining success.
Hopefully no big injury derails the season again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they needed the space, they might have made that move. However, Andrei Pertotta is living 10 years in the past.  Wish I could pull that one off...

DJ Reader's cap hit with Detroit this year is $5.8 mil. 

The Chief's would have done it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopefully the Bengals can get back to the AFCCG with Burrow healthy again, as the team is trending downward since the Super Bowl defeat.
Many expect it to become more challenging fielding a great team once the QB becomes expensive, but we're in the early stages of that for CIN.
The next two years will be very important to sustaining success.
Hopefully no big injury derails the season again.

Come on ocho. We lost in the AFC Championship to KC at the gun as a result of an unlikely big punt return and personal foul. They won the SB. Who’s to say we wouldn’t have won the SB.Joe was lame in the Browns game, both Ravens game, and Titans. Then missed 7 games. I agree about the other stuff. Trending downward? We beat SF soundly on the road. Everybody says they didn’t have Trent Williams or Debo. Well the 31 points was on their full strength defense. We also dominated the Bills.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Come on ocho. We lost in the AFC Championship to KC at the gun as a result of an unlikely big punt return and personal foul. They won the SB. Who’s to say we wouldn’t have won the SB.Joe was lame in the Browns game, both Ravens game, and Titans. Then missed 7 games. I agree about the other stuff. Trending downward? We beat SF soundly on the road. Everybody says they didn’t have Trent Williams or Debo. Well the 31 points was on their full strength defense. We also dominated the Bills.

Doesn't matter.
That's a "What if?"
As of right now, Bengals have gone by year since 2021:
2021 - Super Bowl
2022 - AFCCG
2023 - 9-8, missed playoffs

What I meant from what I said was can they sign good enough FAs and draft well enough to continue being a championship-caliber team.
Adding Trent Brown today really does help solidify the OL, albeit only for this season.
At some point, Bengals will have to start getting good production out of their draft picks because these core veterans will either start becoming too expensive or too old.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Doesn't matter.
That's a "What if?"
2021 - Super Bowl
2022 - AFCCG

What I meant from what I said was can they sign good enough FAs and draft well enough to continue being a championship-caliber team.
Adding Trent Brown today really does help solidify the OL, albeit only for this season.
At some point, Bengals will have to start getting good production out of their draft picks because these core veterans will either start becoming too expensive or too old.

Let's hope that he is inspired, takes care of himself and stays healthy for at least half of the season.  I like what he can do when he's got it going on, but realistically I'm putting the over/under at 9 games for him this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's hope that he is inspired, takes care of himself and stays healthy for at least half of the season.  I like what he can do when he's got it going on, but realistically I'm putting the over/under at 9 games for him this year.

I'm not taking RT off the table early in the draft, even still in consideration in 1st Round.
Brown just covers the immediate need for this season and doesn't absolutely force the Bengals into RT at 18 now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not taking RT off the table early in the draft, even still in consideration in 1st Round.
Brown just covers the immediate need for this season and doesn't absolutely force the Bengals into RT at 18 now.

I hear ya. I'm also hoping for the best, but remaining cautiously prepared for what also could happen, as we've seen it all before several times.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Doesn't matter.
That's a "What if?"
2021 - Super Bowl
2022 - AFCCG

Agree completely they need to nail the drafts
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Agree completely they need to nail the drafts

If they want to nail the drafts.They can start,by replacing whoever was responsible for picking,Cedric Ogbuehi,Michael Jordan,and Jackson Carman.All high draft picks on the off line,who have been busts.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 08:04 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: If they want to nail the drafts/They can start,by replacing whoever was responsible for picking,Cedric Ogbuehi,Michael Jordan,and Jackson Carman.All high draft picks on the off line,who have been busts.

Carman they were not happy about some BS info about his work ethic. They learned later they were misled.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 08:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Carman they were not happy about some BS info about his work ethic. They learned later they were misled.

After the Trent Brown signing,  how much Cap room do they have to possibly add a good Vet CB?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: After the Trent Brown signing,  how much Cap room do they have to possibly add a good Vet CB?

With Stone, Bell, and Battle at safety you’d have to expect Dax Hill to corner so I don’t see adding a corner vet but maybe draft one.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 08:04 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: If they want to nail the drafts.They can start,by replacing whoever was responsible for picking,Cedric Ogbuehi,Michael Jordan,and Jackson Carman.All high draft picks on the off line,who have been busts.

I wouldn't exactly call Jordan in the 4th round a high pick, but you cold just as easily substitute the Billy Price pick in the 1st round and been even more correct.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's hope that he is inspired, takes care of himself and stays healthy for at least half of the season.  I like what he can do when he's got it going on, but realistically I'm putting the over/under at 9 games for him this year.

Yep that's been a problem for Brown.

In his career, he's only played a full season 3 times out of 9.
This is specially concerning given he's had a shortened season 3 of the past 4.
EDIT - And when I say shortened I mean 5 games (2020), 9 games (2021), and 11 games (2023). That's less than 50% availability those 3 seasons.

I really do think RT is in play still in Rd 1 because at best, they need someone to replace him after this season, at worst they need someone who can take over midway through this year if injury occurs.
Although they could always re-sign Brown or sign another FA after this season, but at some point they need to try to get some draft picks to hit, right?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: After the Trent Brown signing,  how much Cap room do they have to possibly add a good Vet CB?

Hard to know yet as we do not have the details. 

Functionally, including $4 mil for the PS and a little more for the first rounder, I had us around $22 mil pre-Brown signing, at 53.

But we never go right to the cap. Keeping some space for cuts/injuries and/or extensions is necessary. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hard to know yet as we do not have the details. 

Functionally, including $4 mil for the PS and a little more for the first rounder, I had us around $22 mil pre-Brown signing, at 53.

But we never go right to the cap. Keeping some space for cuts/injuries and/or extensions is necessary. 

If it's a stratified deal, similar to the one that Tyron Smith got with the Jets, we could essentially be done with FA acquisitions.  I'm not sure on the exact rules of contracts with escalators, but I seem to remember that the team must put the max value aside, in case the player achieves all incentive escalators.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hard to know yet as we do not have the details. 

The PS has nothing to do with the cap. It is only top 51. Anyone we sign more expensive; we lose that player's cap and the add the new player. 

An example would be #53 makes 900K and new guy makes 4 million maximum with incentives, the net would be an additional 3.1 subtracted from our cap space.

The estimated cap space on these sites also takes draft picks into consideration.  They are already deducted from the cap space.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote