Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Could Free Up 86 Mil for New Players
I pulled up Bengals salaries contracts on internet and found Spotrac.com as SOURCE

Going on average year salaries of contracts over end of this season and end of next season.

If Bengals at 1-16 over last 17 games just decided not to resign anybody, let's see how it adds up in money

Adios to AJ Green, Dennard, Eifert, Vigil, Hopkins, Billings, Fejedelem, Carter, Wynn, Leamon, Scott, A.Smith, Jerry, Reynolds, Zeitel, McRae, Redmond, Wilson, McTyer, Tupou, Mabin AFTER THIS SEASON.

That gives Bengals around 39 million for new players per year and no contract take away because all these contracts end. 39 million ball park figure.

OK, lets say they don't resign anybody in off season either so the 2021 contracts run out after next season

Adios Dalton, Glenn, S Williams, WJ3 Jackson, Huber, Mixon, Erickson, Bullock, Lawson, Glasgow, Evans, C.Harris, Tate, A. Brown, S. Morgan AFTER NEXT SEASON.

That gives Bengals around 47 million for new players per year and no contract take away because the contracts ended.

Now that means in 12 months time from Feb 2020 to Feb 2021, the Bengals could free up around 86 million ball park figure for new players, IF THEY WANTED TO.

Fans ask, How Do You Turn This Team Around ? Well, the Bengals finished 1-7 last half of 2018. In 2019 they are 0-9. Fans of some of these players won't like it, but one scenario is to not resign any of them and use the money for a whole new team of players in 2022.

It's An Option. 86 Million for New Players on 2022 team. Not saying they do it. It's an Option. Team is on 1-16 streak. Let's say the team keeps losing and goes 2-14 this year. That is 3- 21 since last 8 games of 2018. How many of these guys at 3-21 do you want to keep anyway ???

OK, lets say you want to keep Mixon and a couple others. You can still free up 70 to 75 million for new players to go into next Decade.

I will add if Front Office stays the same, Nothing, not even this, will help.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
They'll probably just overpay a bunch of Tier D free agents from the Giants and Bills.

It's really pointless to look at all of their cap space and forecast what good moves would be.

They could sign Littleton from the Rams and ruin him here too.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:

Now another scenario would be to just keep all the same players.  Even if they go 0-16 and 1-23 since mid 2018.  Continue saying they are great and keep all the same players.   Seems to me that would be a crack pot idea. 

Bengals are 1-16 since mid season 2018.  Many contracts are ending.  It may be time to say the window of opportunity slammed shut on some of these players, and it's time to look to NFL Drafts and time for a major rebuild of new players.  As for this comic, he has a movie where the football player wants more money, and he tells the football player that when he plays bad he doesn't give any money back.   Right now, as a team, they are very bad on a 1-16 streak and resigning them to MORE money seems not a good idea. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:13 PM)kevin Wrote: Now another scenario would be to just keep all the same players.  Even if they go 0-16 and 1-23 since mid 2018.  Continue saying they are great and keep all the same players.   Seems to me that would be a crack pot idea. 

Bengals are 1-16 since mid season 2018.  Many contracts are ending.  It may be time to say the window of opportunity slammed shut on some of these players, and it's time to look to NFL Drafts and time for a major rebuild of new players.  As for this comic, he has a movie where the football player wants more money, and he tells the football player that when he plays bad he doesn't give any money back.   Right now, as a team, they are very bad on a 1-16 streak and resigning them to MORE money seems not a good idea. 

I think what you'll see is them attributing the season to a new coaching staff taking their lumps. Also injuries...to Green, Jonah, Boling retiring. They'll probably also think guys on defense like Kirkpatrick and WJ3 getting injured hurt the team. Preston Brown is a scapegoat. Dennard injured.

It's easier to blame things out of their control than them making bad decisions or being inept.

Then, they'll sign a few Tier C and D free agents. Maybe a LB with name recognition that's past his prime. They'll throw maybe a 2nd round pick at a LB.

You'll hear heavy PR how getting Jonah back is like having a 2nd 1st Round pick...and that's why they didn't trade it.

They'll try to keep Green, probably overpaying him. He's been healthy once in 4 years...so he'll likely miss games next year too.

They'll likely keep the coordinators. Maybe tweak a few position coaches.

That's what I see in my crystal ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They'll probably just overpay a bunch of Tier D free agents from the Giants and Bills.

It's really pointless to look at all of their cap space and forecast what good moves would be.

They could sign Littleton from the Rams and ruin him here too.

Or they could rebuild in the draft,  and resign some young players such as Mixon.  Resign some young guys on team maybe worth keeping.  The Bills LT and LB show Bengals don't do very well in free agency.   

If they resign a few key young players, instead of 86 million, it could be more around 60 to 70 million they have for new players.  If they say the window closed on Dalton to Green, those 2 alone free up 31 million.  Again, team is 1-16 since mid 2018.   A new Decade is coming.  It might be time to put an end on the 2011 team hopes, and some others on team. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This was their strategy to fix LB last year:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:27 PM)kevin Wrote: Or they could rebuild in the draft,  and resign some young players such as Mixon.  Resign some young guys on team maybe worth keeping.  The Bills LT and LB show Bengals don't do very well in free agency.   

If they resign a few key young players, instead of 86 million, it could be more around 60 to 70 million they have for new players.  If they say the window closed on Dalton to Green, those 2 alone free up 31 million.  Again, team is 1-16 since mid 2018.   A new Decade is coming.  It might be time to put an end on the 2011 team hopes, and some others on team. 

The thing about the draft is...EVERY TEAM drafts. And other teams have 2 to 3 times the player personnel department guys scouting that we do preparing for that draft.

I think you are grossly underestimating what it will cost to retain guys.

Mixon will get probably atleast $10-12 million a year IF we want to keep him. We'll need to overpay.
AJ Green $15-17 million a year.
William Jackson will cost $10-12 million a year.
Dennard $6-8 million.
Hopkins could cost $8-10 million a year.
Billings $4-6 million a year.

Those guys right there are about $60 million a year.

Then, Eifert...they seem to like bringing back or they would have traded him. $4-5 million a year.
Vigil is a free agent. I assume they let him walk. You never know here.

Then, Brandon Wilson and Fej are restricted. With Wilson's kick returning, they need to keep him.

And who knows what they do with Andy. We assume they'll trade him. They might want him here to mentor a young QB. Andy is actually being too good of a teammate on Finley...

And teams will pay these guys. They know that coaching is bad here and that these guys can play...much like Justin Smith and Joseph.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have a way of doing less with $50 million in cap space than teams with $12 million in cap space. Remember that.

They had some $50 million in space this past offseason! And look hoe they spent it.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals have a way of doing less with $50 million in cap space than teams with $12 million in cap space. Remember that.

They had some $50 million in space this past offseason! And look hoe they spent it.

There going to have to cut players to add space. Already started by cutting Brown hopefully that's the start but its Mike Brown so probably won't happen.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think what you'll see is them attributing the season to a new coaching staff taking their lumps. Also injuries...to Green, Jonah, Boling retiring. They'll probably also think guys on defense like Kirkpatrick and WJ3 getting injured hurt the team. Preston Brown is a scapegoat. Dennard injured.

It's easier to blame things out of their control than them making bad decisions or being inept.

Then, they'll sign a few Tier C and D free agents. Maybe a LB with name recognition that's past his prime. They'll throw maybe a 2nd round pick at a LB.

You'll hear heavy PR how getting Jonah back is like having a 2nd 1st Round pick...and that's why they didn't trade it.

They'll try to keep Green, probably overpaying him. He's been healthy once in 4 years...so he'll likely miss games next year too.

OK, but the fact remains that AJ Green is NOT signed past this season.  He can go Free Agent after this season.  The fact that Bengals didn't avoid this says a lot.  

Now they have Dalton on the bench.

Very good chance both will be gone soon as Bengals free up 31 million right there. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think what you'll see is them attributing the season to a new coaching staff taking their lumps. Also injuries...to Green, Jonah, Boling retiring. They'll probably also think guys on defense like Kirkpatrick and WJ3 getting injured hurt the team. Preston Brown is a scapegoat. Dennard injured.

AJ Green is healthy right now. His ankle swells when he watches this team play, and this staff coach.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:52 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, but the fact remains that AJ Green is NOT signed past this season.  He can go Free Agent after this season.  The fact that Bengals didn't avoid this says a lot.  

Now they have Dalton on the bench.

Very good chance both will be gone soon as Bengals free up 31 million right there. 

The Bengals are likely low-balling him because of the injuries. But, they'll likely tag him if it comes to that.

I still go back to us having $50+ million of cap space this past offseason and how little we did with it.

I don't see another $20 million changing that.

The Dolphins are projected to have some $100 million.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals are likely low-balling him because of the injuries. But, they'll likely tag him if it comes to that.

I still go back to us having $50+ million of cap space this past offseason and how little we did with it.

Mike Brown never renews contracts once season starts.  The fact that they drafted Boyd and Ross and then let Greens contract run out.   That they didn't resign Green.   Once they don't resign Marvin Jones, Sanu, Zeitler, Whitworth and let them go free agent.  Fans say they made a last hour offer.  If Bengals really wanted AJ Green, he would have been resigned long term last off season.  

Then there is Dalton on the bench. His contract ends after next season.  From 2011 on it was Dalton to Green.  All things come to an end.  Bengals have Green ready to go Free Agent in 3 months.  If a team wanted to keep an AJ Green, they would not let him get this close to Free Agency offers by other teams, he would be signed already.  

The team finished 1-7 in 2018 and are 0-9 in 2019. Green not signed and Dalton on bench contract ends next season. 31 million right there that they look like they are freeing up.  If Green and Dalton are on the chopping block, so are some others.  

They probably WON'T dump 86 mil in salary over next 15 months.  They may keep Mixon, WJ3, contracts up after next season. They may only dump 70 mil in salary.   Use it to keep young players they want to keep, and bring in draft picks they want.  Get some better D Players and better Blockers.  Maybe even get and sign that draft pick QB so many are eager for. 

The future is coming and Bengals don't seem to have Green or Dalton in the plans, or they would be signed long term.  Again, they are 31 mil for other players by themselves. Bengals maybe drafted Boyd, Ross, Finley for this. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals are likely low-balling him because of the injuries. But, they'll likely tag him if it comes to that.

Right now, we're projected at $63 mil in cap space.  Cutting/trading Dalton and Glenn would clear another $27 million.  Other bad contracts they may jettison would be Uzomah, Hart, and Webb, which would be another $9 million.  The two sizable extensions we would potentially be looking at would be Mixon and WJIII, but neither may want to negotiate an extension coming off of down years where the Bengals would have leverage.  

After the coaching change, there's really no reason to think there isn't a talent issue on the roster.  Mikey isn't a great football mind, but he isn't that dumb.  Whether he ponies up to speed up the rebuild is another matter. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 01:36 AM)kevin Wrote: Mike Brown never renews contracts once season starts.  The fact that they drafted Boyd and Ross and then let Greens contract run out.   That they didn't resign Green.   Once they don't resign Marvin Jones, Sanu, Zeitler, Whitworth and let them go free agent.  Fans say they made a last hour offer.  If Bengals really wanted AJ Green, he would have been resigned long term last off season.  

Then there is Dalton on the bench. His contract ends after next season.  From 2011 on it was Dalton to Green.  All things come to an end.  Bengals have Green ready to go Free Agent in 3 months.  If a team wanted to keep an AJ Green, they would not let him get this close to Free Agency offers by other teams, he would be signed already.  

The team finished 1-7 in 2018 and are 0-9 in 2019. Green not signed and Dalton on bench contract ends next season. 31 million right there that they look like they are freeing up.  If Green and Dalton are on the chopping block, so are some others.  

They probably WON'T dump 86 mil in salary over next 15 months.  They may keep Mixon, WJ3, contracts up after next season. They may only dump 70 mil in salary.   Use it to keep young players they want to keep, and bring in draft picks they want.  Get some better D Players and better Blockers.  Maybe even get and sign that draft pick QB so many are eager for. 

The future is coming and Bengals don't seem to have Green or Dalton in the plans, or they would be signed long term.  Again, they are 31 mil for other players by themselves. Bengals maybe drafted Boyd, Ross, Finley for this. 

Palmers contract extension happened in dec/Jan

Update- Carson signed a six-year contract extension through the 2014 season with the Bengals on December 29, 2005. In addition to the three years remaining on his existing deal, the value of the extension was worth $118.75 million over nine years.

Then, He tore his ACL the following week.
Reply/Quote
Anyway, there is some Positive to my post. IF the Bengals can rebuild the Defense, and mind you Atkins & Dunlap are signed for a few more years. If they can take money and get talent on Defense. .....and IF they can rebuild the O Line.....mostly in the draft.....This could start to look like a Team again. Blocking, Tackling. ...Plus I'm sure they are looking for the franchise QB of the 2020's to lead the team to Wins. ...So they are in a position to free up salary cap and contracts to do that.

So it is a positive in that they are not locked into contracts like Raiders new GM was and he saw so much going to Carson Palmer to play for Arizona and so many other contract gaffs. The Raiders GM then saying not to expect much for a couple years do to some really bad contracts he inherited. The Bengals don't have that. They can get out from under 86 million if they wanted. I think it will be less as they sign maybe Mixon, WJ3 and some newer picks like that. Still, they are in a position to go out and get Defense, O Line, QB, as they build for 2020's Decade. So that really is a Positive. They can free up cap space over 15 months to bring in good young talent in 2020 and 2021. Some teams are too locked in on contracts to do that.

I hope they make positive moves. I want to go back to my old avatar of the Super Bowl Trophy if they turn things around. Super Bowl being the goal, not losing to get draft picks.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:03 AM)jason Wrote: AJ Green is healthy right now. His ankle swells when he watches this team play, and this staff coach.

Yep. So does my liver.

Reply/Quote
I'll give my take here based on what I think realistically is going to happen. I tend to use overthecap for this stuff but for continuity I'll use Spotrac. In 2020 the Bengals are set to have $63 Million available based solely on guys who have contracts into next year. We will use that $63 Million cap number to start this exercise.

Resign:
Trey Hopkins avg per year $5.5 million (Puts him on a similar deal to JC Tretter)
Andrew Billings avg per year $4.25 million (Puts him on a similar to to Jonathan Hankins)

Franchise Tag:
AJ Green projected tag for WR $18.5 Million

New Total: $34.75 Million

Trade:
Andy Dalton $17.7 Million freed with no dead money
Cordy Glenn $9.5 Million freed with no dead money

New Total: $61.95 Million

Projected Rookie Salary Pool: $10.8 Million

My Projected Total Available: $51.15 Million

Now are they going to spend $51.15 Million? No. I do however think they could spend $30 Million of that pretty easily. One of the interesting things to watch will be how they view William Jackson who's contract is up the following year and the question will be what do they need to resign him.
Reply/Quote
Salary cap is also projected to rise from 188.2 Mil to 200 Mil in 2020. There's an additional almost 12 Mil the Bengals will have next year, not that they will use it.
Reply/Quote