Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Could Free Up 86 Mil for New Players
Get rid of anyone making more than 3 million a year and just draft/sign a bunch of unknowns and become the bad news bears. We may not win but the drama will keep this team thriving.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think what you'll see is them attributing the season to a new coaching staff taking their lumps. Also injuries...to Green, Jonah, Boling retiring. They'll probably also think guys on defense like Kirkpatrick and WJ3 getting injured hurt the team. Preston Brown is a scapegoat. Dennard injured.

It's easier to blame things out of their control than them making bad decisions or being inept.

Then, they'll sign a few Tier C and D free agents. Maybe a LB with name recognition that's past his prime. They'll throw maybe a 2nd round pick at a LB.

You'll hear heavy PR how getting Jonah back is like having a 2nd 1st Round pick...and that's why they didn't trade it.

They'll try to keep Green, probably overpaying him. He's been healthy once in 4 years...so he'll likely miss games next year too.

They'll likely keep the coordinators. Maybe tweak a few position coaches.

That's what I see in my crystal ball.

Your crystal ball sounds a lot like Mike Brown with a dash of Hobspin. This team is run by morons. Mike Brown kicking the bucket is sadly the franchise’s only hope. He won’t sell.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals just get rid of Dalton, Glenn, Hart, and Kirkpatrick, they will have over $100 mill in cap space for 2020.
Dennard, Eifert, Billings, Green, Hopkins all FAs so they may not re-sign anyway.

I've already gone through a mock offseason in the Mock Drafts section that would be something I would do, but basically they could allow their FAs to walk except for Hopkins (and Billings), make a couple cuts in Glenn and Dalton, and still have plenty of room to sign 3-5 upper-tier FAs and really bring this team back to contending (if playcalling improves).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:09 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Your crystal ball sounds a lot like Mike Brown with a dash of Hobspin.  This team is run by morons.  Mike Brown kicking the bucket is sadly the franchise’s only hope.  He won’t sell.

Which is what we normally see. Like how they signed Hart and talked about how he was young and they could coach away the false starts. How he had several years of starting experience, etc.

How in the offseason, our preseason heroes are great players.
Reply/Quote
Will we actually sign anyone good. We need to sign all free agent lineman
Reply/Quote
Gotta have that rollover money!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 11:27 PM)kevin Wrote: Or they could rebuild in the draft,  and resign some young players such as Mixon.  Resign some young guys on team maybe worth keeping.  The Bills LT and LB show Bengals don't do very well in free agency.   

If they resign a few key young players, instead of 86 million, it could be more around 60 to 70 million they have for new players.  If they say the window closed on Dalton to Green, those 2 alone free up 31 million.  Again, team is 1-16 since mid 2018.   A new Decade is coming.  It might be time to put an end on the 2011 team hopes, and some others on team. 

they had their shot to prepare to rebuild thru the draft by collecting assests before the deadline... but chose not to.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals just get rid of Dalton, Glenn, Hart, and Kirkpatrick, they will have over $100 mill in cap space for 2020.
Dennard, Eifert, Billings, Green, Hopkins all FAs so they may not re-sign anyway.

I've already gone through a mock offseason in the Mock Drafts section that would be something I would do, but basically they could allow their FAs to walk except for Hopkins (and Billings), make a couple cuts in Glenn and Dalton, and still have plenty of room to sign 3-5 upper-tier FAs and really bring this team back to contending (if playcalling improves).

upper tier FA's will choose to sign elsewhere... they generally don't sign on for rebuilds unless they are only paycheck guys
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: upper tier FA's will choose to sign elsewhere... they generally don't sign on for rebuilds unless they are only paycheck guys

Doesn't mean the Bengals wouldn't have room to sign them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: upper tier FA's will choose to sign elsewhere... they generally don't sign on for rebuilds unless they are only paycheck guys

Well...in the OP's scenario, we basically let all of our free agents walk.

So...that would mean LOTS of Comp Picks.

We'd likely only sign guys who were cut to not ruin the Comp Pick train.
Reply/Quote
It's kind of a sucky free agent class. Not many Tackles.

LB's you have Trevathan, Littleton, Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland...I think last years class was better.
Reply/Quote
I am going to say this without bringing up my past post....Free agency is a 2 way street....Other players DO NOT WANT TO COME HERE....You can have all of the money you want and it will still not matter....FAs definitely will not want to come here if you go and let the likes of Green, Atkins, Dunlap and the likes walk or trade them.

Everyone questions the signings of last year...well, you know what? The Bengals have to spend that money now, at least since the CBA from 2011 forces them to..... This is the reason that we signed players like Gio, Hart, Brown to those extensions and no outside FAs were brought in..... THEY HAD TO SPEND THAT MONEY!!!

We are better off signing back AJ, getting Mixon under wraps, draft another top OL and a top LBer, stick with Dalton/Finley for another year and see how things unfold.....Getting rid of everyone and starting a team from scratch is a decade long experience...MB and company would not even know how to spend 90 million dollars!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals just get rid of Dalton, Glenn, Hart, and Kirkpatrick, they will have over $100 mill in cap space for 2020.

Yes, but releasing and not re-signing players just opens up more holes.

Let's assume the 1st round pick is QB and Dalton's replacement.

They'll need to protect the new franchise QB - so let's say an upper tier RT and LG FAs. There's no depth whatsoever at tackle, so let's assume they draft a swing tackle in the third.

Obviously linebacker is a must so let's say another FA and a 2nd round LB to go with Pratt.

Cornerbacks will need to be looked at. You'll have WJIII as CB1 but if you let Dre and Dennard walk after that it's Darius Phillips and BW Webb - so let's add a CB2 in free agency.

We've now used up 4 FA and our first 3 round picks and having let our best WR and TE walk the weapons our new QB has to throw to would be Boyd, the usually injured Ross, Tate, Erickson and Uzomah. Yikes. So let's assume they sign a starting WR or TE as well for a 5th notable FA (optimistic as the Bengals will need to overpay to attract FAs).

But where's the depth? Who's your 4th LBer your 5th CB, your 4th DE, your 3rd S, your 3rd TE - you've only got a pick in each of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th and these are players who'll likely see action in a rotational role.

The Bengals would need to hit with every draft signing, with every free agency signing and hope there are no injuries. No team does that, certainly not the Bengals and certainly not a team who will struggle to attract free agents.

The only way I could see any such strategy have a chance of succeeding would be if they managed to trade Green and Dalton for an extra first and second. Maybe then that would give a bit of margin of error. Even then it seems a long shot.
Reply/Quote
I doubt the Bengals release Glenn. They seem to like having him on the roster and paying him.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 04:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt the Bengals release Glenn. They seem to like having him on the roster and paying him.

He's a good glue guy in the locker room. He helps set the tone. Even an established star like AJ Green is following his lead...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 04:47 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Yes, but releasing and not re-signing players just opens up more holes.

Let's assume the 1st round pick is QB and Dalton's replacement.

They'll need to protect the new franchise QB - so let's say an upper tier RT and LG FAs. There's no depth whatsoever at tackle, so let's assume they draft a swing tackle in the third.

Obviously linebacker is a must so let's say another FA and a 2nd round LB to go with Pratt.

Cornerbacks will need to be looked at. You'll have WJIII as CB1 but if you let Dre and Dennard walk after that it's Darius Phillips and BW Webb - so let's add a CB2 in free agency.

We've now used up 4 FA and our first 3 round picks and having let our best WR and TE walk the weapons our new QB has to throw to would be Boyd, the usually injured Ross, Tate, Erickson and Uzomah. Yikes. So let's assume they sign a starting WR or TE as well for a 5th notable FA (optimistic as the Bengals will need to overpay to attract FAs).

But where's the depth? Who's your 4th LBer your 5th CB, your 4th DE, your 3rd S, your 3rd TE - you've only got a pick in each of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th and these are players who'll likely see action in a rotational role.

The Bengals would need to hit with every draft signing, with every free agency signing and hope there are no injuries. No team does that, certainly not the Bengals and certainly not a team who will struggle to attract free agents.

The only way I could see any such strategy have a chance of succeeding would be if they managed to trade Green and Dalton for an extra first and second. Maybe then that would give a bit of margin of error. Even then it seems a long shot.

Come on man that's not the Bengals way!

You don't have to worry about depth if you have a depth guy as your starter! That's the Bengals way.
Reply/Quote