Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Could Target Kyle Rudolph!
PLEASE DO!

This is per StripeHype, and purely speculation, but it makes PERFECT SENSE!

Quote:In the next couple of days, tight end Kyle Rudolph could become one of many players becoming a cap casualty from the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings are trying to make up $20 million in cap space and Rudolph would give them $5.5 million in cap space. Needing an upgrade at TE the Bengals should be interested in Rudolph.

The 32-year-old TE is about to enter the third year of five on his current contract. The Vikings will be taking a little time to evaluate trade options but no one wants to pay an average of $11 million to a 32-year-old for the next three seasons. Once cut there will be some interest in Rudolph.

The Cleveland Browns and the Buffalo Bills have been interested in a trade but that has stalled. Now the wait for the cut is coming. For the right price, the Cincinnati Bengals should put their hat in the ring.

I'll be so pissed if we don't at least make a play for him, especially with Burrow coming off injury, a shaky line (probably), and Rudolph being the perfect safety valve.

Quote:Rudolph was an all-American at Elder High School. Rudolph is a Cincinnati native and his family still lives in the area. Former Packers linebacker AJ Hawk decided to retire in his hometown of Cincinnati. Returning to Cincinnati would good way for Rudolph to end his career.

Bring him home! Let him end his career in his hometown!

This would be an INCREDIBLE signing because, even if he's 32, he's still a PERFECT fit for Burrow and the Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 06:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: PLEASE DO!

This is per StripeHype, and purely speculation, but it makes PERFECT SENSE!

I'll be so pissed if we don't at least make a play for him, especially with Burrow coming off injury, a shaky line (probably), and Rudolph being the perfect safety valve.

Bring him home! Let him end his career in his hometown!

This would be an INCREDIBLE signing because, even if he's 32, he's still a PERFECT fit for Burrow and the Bengals!

He's seemed to be declining for years. There could be many reasons for that... I dunno. I suppose he's a bigger threat in the red zone than Sample, so I guess I wouldn't mind him on the cheap.

... And AJ Hawk is from Centerville. Thuney is from Kettering The people of Dayton will no longer stand by while the media gives our local HS heros to Cincinnati.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 07:09 PM)jason Wrote: He's seemed to be declining for years. There could be many reasons for that... I dunno. I suppose he's a bigger threat in the red zone than Sample, so I guess I wouldn't mind him on the cheap.

... And AJ Hawk is from Centerville. Thuney is from Kettering The people of Dayton will no longer stand by while the media gives our local HS heros to Cincinnati.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/move-up-cincinnati/why-a-cincinnati-dayton-partnership-could-be-a-regional-powerhouse

Matter of time. Just accept it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 08:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/move-up-cincinnati/why-a-cincinnati-dayton-partnership-could-be-a-regional-powerhouse

Matter of time. Just accept it.

It was tongue in cheek. I work back and forth between Cincinnati and Dayton... There's maybe 3 miles between Middletown and Monroe that are undeveloped. It's basically one big metro area from Vandalia, Ohio to Florence, Kentucky.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Pass. Guy is overrated. Rather get Hunter Henry.
Reply/Quote
For the right price, this is a smart signing.

Vet that will be a good and reliable target for Burrow. Means we can draft a TE to develop later in the draft and not waste an early pick on one.

Plus, the guy could be a great influence on the young TEs we have on the roster now. If it isn't a huge contract, it is a smart move.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know he missed a few games last season, but his stats look very Drew Sample like to me (especially the 1 TD). And that was in an offense that put up big numbers.

Reply/Quote
While I appreciate the sentiment of looking at players who came up local, I really can't see Rudolph bringing anything to the team that we don't already have in the, according to reports, the well healing CJ Uzomah and up and coming Drew Sample. The Bengals offense doesn't focus on the TE nearly enough to justify paying an aging Kyle Rudolph a respectable salary.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 08:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Pass. Guy is overrated. Rather get Hunter Henry.

Hunter Henry would be siiiiick
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I know he missed a few games last season, but his stats look very Drew Sample like to me (especially the 1 TD). And that was in an offense that put up big numbers.

I think Irv Smith Jr was really cutting into his targets late in the year. Especially in the red zone. That's not an excuse. I'm ok with not paying Rudolph any mind in FA.

My ideal strategy is to go after Thuney and Curtis Samuel... Maybe see what's up with Justin Houston ( if he can be had for less than Lawson), let Jackson walk, and bring back Alexander. Sewell, Pitts, or Chase in the first... If we land Samuel I guess I'd take Chase off the list.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I appreciate the sentiment of looking at players who came up local, I really can't see Rudolph bringing anything to the team that we don't already have in the, according to reports, the well healing CJ Uzomah and up and coming Drew Sample. The Bengals offense doesn't focus on the TE nearly enough to justify paying an aging Kyle Rudolph a respectable salary.

This. I don’t think he has much left in the tank and I’d rather use the money elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm in Vikings country living close to the cities. Rudolph hasn't done anything the past couple years. Irv Smith is better than him at this point. I'd rather get a younger player
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't hate a small 2 year contract for Rudolph. I think his best is behind him, but I do think he could be more efficiently productive than Uzomah or Sample in an offense that's going to pass as much as the Bengals have lately.

He can get it done in the red zone which the Bengals desperately need. He's also only dropped 1 of his last 167 targets, so that's about as sure handed as you can get. (Uzomah has dropped 5 of his last 115 and Sample 3 of his last 59. Weird target numbers because it's 2018-2020.)

So yeah, it's not a game changing move, but I do think it could be a solid bridge move to finding a proper long term solution to the TE position 1-2 years from now when they hopefully have less demanding needs for their FA $ and high draft picks.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 01:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wouldn't hate a small 2 year contract for Rudolph. I think his best is behind him, but I do think he could be more efficiently productive than Uzomah or Sample in an offense that's going to pass as much as the Bengals have lately.

He can get it done in the red zone which the Bengals desperately need. He's also only dropped 1 of his last 167 targets, so that's about as sure handed as you can get. (Uzomah has dropped 5 of his last 115 and Sample 3 of his last 59. Weird target numbers because it's 2018-2020.)

So yeah, it's not a game changing move, but I do think it could be a solid bridge move to finding a proper long term solution to the TE position 1-2 years from now when they hopefully have less demanding needs for their FA $ and high draft picks.

I agree with this, not against it as he might still be better than the guys we currently have.

Would rather have Hunter Henry but he will cost a lot.
Reply/Quote
We will either draft 1, or go with what we got. I'm ok with Uzomeh and Sample, as long as we get a stud #3 WR. I'm not a big fan of sinking any more money into a TE that's on the wrong side of 30. I think these guys are worth a look as a #3 TE out of the draft:

1) Quentin Morris-(Bowling Green) 6'4 250 6th rd

2) Kylen Granson-(SMU) 6'2 240 5th rd

3) Kenny Yeboah-(Ole Miss) 6'4 240 4th rd
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 01:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He can get it done in the red zone which the Bengals desperately need.

No he can't.

2020 red zone production

Rudolph...2 catches....9 yds....1 td
Sample.....4 catches...35 yds...1 td
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he can't.

2020 red zone production

Rudolph...2 catches....9 yds....1 td
Sample.....4 catches...35 yds...1 td

And the year before that? 

Rudolph... 8 catches...51 yds....5 td
Sample...0 catches...0 yds...0 td

Rudolph has 37 career redzone TDs. He was averaging 4 a year before last year. Sample and Uzomah have 9 combined TDs from any distance in 8 total seasons worth of play.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 09:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And the year before that? 

Rudolph... 8 catches...51 yds....5 td
Sample...0 catches...0 yds...0 td

Rudolph has 37 career redzone TDs. He was averaging 4 a year before last year. Sample and Uzomah have 9 combined TDs from any distance in 8 total seasons worth of play.

Last season, the Vikings also ranked 6th in red zone TD percentage, so maybe it's just because they didn't need him?

Not to mention that he only played 11 full games last season.

Funny how none of that was mentioned......  it's almost like people are intentionally ignoring context.........
Reply/Quote
Targets overall have been down last two year so not sure if he has lost a step or by design with more passes to WR.. he has been very healthy over the last 6 years with starting in 92 of 96 games.. which is very impressive at the TE position.. i think for the right price would be a great 3 year signing and free up our draft even more to focus on Oline and other Def positions...
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 10:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Last season, the Vikings also ranked 6th in red zone TD percentage, so maybe it's just because they didn't need him?

Not to mention that he only played 11 full games last season.

Funny how none of that was mentioned......  it's almost like people are intentionally ignoring context.........

Irv Smith Jr had 5 TDs last season. More receptions and yards than Rudolph too. A few years ago Kyle was getting like 800 yards a season. He's definitely dropping off.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote