Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals D-line rotation '14 versus '15.
(12-07-2015, 02:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why is Hunt still on this team? I keep wondering.

We like to give guys more than enough rope. 

He's 2 years older than Carlos Dunlap and only 5 months younger than Michael Johnson.
Let that sink in for a minute. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He is who he is. This is who he has always been.
No one should be shocked by this

Yeah, but the point is he wasn't here last season and was pretty poor in Tampa.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, the other options are not that great.  That is why none of them are on an NFL roster.

I'm willing to bet that once Hunt is released, no one will pick him up. Just because a player is a FA doesn't mean he's not better than Hunt. 

(12-07-2015, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We like to give guys more than enough rope. 

He's 2 years older than Carlos Dunlap and only 5 months younger than Michael Johnson.

Hunt is on the roster because he was a high draft pick. That's why he's getting a long leash. It's quite obvious that he won't be around next year though. The reduction in snaps is telling.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:05 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Yeah, but the point is he wasn't here last season and was pretty poor in Tampa.

He was slowed by injury last year.

In '12 and '13 I am pretty sure he played more snaps than any other D-lineman on the team.  he doesn't usually pile up a lot of stats, but he is very solid against the run and getting pressure on the QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:05 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Yeah, but the point is he wasn't here last season and was pretty poor in Tampa.

MJ wasn't bad in Tampa, he just wasn't the sack master they (foolishly) believed he'd be.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: MJ wasn't bad in Tampa, he just wasn't the sack master they (foolishly) believed he'd be.

Yep. Which is why that contract was a joke and didn't think we should have given him that.
He had double digit sacks once (fluke) and even this his QB pressures were always meh. Dunlap much more productive overall. Versus the run and pass. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yep. Which is why that contract was a joke and didn't think we should have given him that.
He had double digit sacks once (fluke) and even this his QB pressures were always meh. Dunlap much more productive overall. Versus the run and pass. 

In the double digit sack year, somewhere around half his sacks came against backup tackles. I actually remember discussing that with you after that season.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yep. Which is why that contract was a joke and didn't think we should have given him that.

His 11.5 sack season was no more a "fluke" than Dunlap's 9.5 his rookie season.

Also Johnson recorded 56 QB hits and hurries in 2013, both of which ranked in the top 11 of all NFL pass rushers.  His 61 total pressures were 14th in the league.

I agree that Dunlap is better, but Johnson was much more then "meh" when it came to getting pressure on the QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 04:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In the double digit sack year, somewhere around half his sacks came against backup tackles. I actually remember discussing that with you after that season.

Yep. It's no surprise. 

(12-07-2015, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His 11.5 sack season was no more a "fluke" than Dunlap's 9.5 his rookie season.

Also Johnson recorded 56 QB hits and hurries in 2013, both of which ranked in the top 11 of all NFL pass rushers.  His 61 total pressures were 14th in the league.

I agree that Dunlap is better, but Johnson was much more then "meh" when it came to getting pressure on the QB.

9.5, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 8, 9.5+.....

3, 2.5, 6, 11.5, 3.5, 4, 4+.....

Which one is a fluke again? If anything, Dunlap's 4.5 is more of the fluke considering he was splitting time more than MJ was getting fewer chances....

His pass rush is always meh. The pressures are nice but that's about all he contributes. He's an average NFL pass rusher. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: His pass rush is always meh. The pressures are nice but that's about all he contributes. He's an average NFL pass rusher. 

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  Rushing the passer is about getting pressure on the QB.  Johnson's numbers show that he is well above average at this.  
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  Rushing the passer is about getting pressure on the QB.  Johnson's numbers show that he is well above average at this.  

You posted 2013 numbers. Post them all to decide for sure. 

His overall production is meh.
His pressures are good but he rarely finishes plays and can be absolutely silent for stretches at a time. He's average. 

It's about the total package. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You posted 2013 numbers. Post them all to decide for sure. 

His overall production is meh.
His pressures are good but he rarely finishes plays and can be absolutely silent for stretches at a time. He's average. 

It's about the total package. 

He is not just average.  Three different teams have felt he was worth top tier money.

I have posted plenty of stats to back up my position.  It is your turn.
Reply/Quote

Playing on a bad ankle last year...

He is pretty good at what he does.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is not just average.  Three different teams have felt he was worth top tier money.

I have posted plenty of stats to back up my position.  It is your turn.

This again?

The last time we did this, I spent 3 pages arguing with you because you refused to admit you were wrong. I'm not getting into this with you again for everyone else's sake. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: This again?

The last time we did this, I spent 3 pages arguing with you because you refused to admit you were wrong. I'm not getting into this with you again for everyone else's sake. 

WTF are you talking about.

I posted stats showing that Johnson was among the league leaders in QB pressures in 2013.  He also had 11.5 sacks in 2012.  His first two seasons he was flipping back and forth from DE to OLB so his pass rush nhumbers were not very impressive.  Last year he was slowed by injury.

I have also shown that three didfferent NFL teams have felt he was worth a lot more than "average" money

So far you have posted NOTHING to back up your claim that he is just average. So if by "this again" you mean you will not post anything to back up your argument then PLEASE do not start that again.  It is just a waste of everyones time.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF are you talking about.

I posted stats showing that Johnson was among the league leaders in QB pressures in 2013.  He also had 11.5 sacks in 2012.  His first two seasons he was flipping back and forth from DE to OLB so his pass rush nhumbers were not very impressive.  Last year he was slowed by injury.

I have also shown that three didfferent NFL teams have felt he was worth a lot more than "average" money

So far you have posted NOTHING to back up your claim that he is just average. So if by "this again" you mean you will not post anything to back up your argument then PLEASE do not start that again.  It is just a waste of everyones time.

Lol.

Oh fred. Your temper-tantrums are great. 
I'm talking about the Andre Smith discussion we had where I posted the play about 4 times for you and you still just screamed like a child that I didn't post anything.
Have a good day fred. 
Reply/Quote
Girls... you're both pretty, now let's move on or take it to private messages please.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 06:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Lol.

Oh fred. Your temper-tantrums are great. 
I'm talking about the Andre Smith discussion we had where I posted the play about 4 times for you and you still just screamed like a child that I didn't post anything.
Have a good day fred. 

So you admit you have nothing to add to this thread to back up your opinion?

As for the other thread you are talking about I'll treat you just like I do Brad when he starts acting like this...........Post a link for everyone to read and decide for themselves
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We like to give guys more than enough rope. 

Now I really don't know why he's here. Maybe we just want a 9th DL just in case or something. Of course, I don't really have anyone in mind to add to the roster so maybe neither do the coaches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 02:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hunt looked more active then Clarke has looked in his limited playing time yesterday. May be time for Clarke to be inactive for awhile.

Speaking of Hunt, glad his injury is healed. I noticed he seems to go too far inside and gets caught when the QB or RB goes wide.  I thought he  #(99) partially blocked the FG, but the commentators said it was Dunlap. Glad it happened 96 or 99.
Reply/Quote