Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals DIDN'T turn down trade, Browns Messed It Up.
There is another thread starting how Bengals turned down another trade. That is SO WRONG. Read all the news stories. The Bengals had AJ McCarron traded to the Browns and the Browns wanted him. The Browns even thought the deal was done. The Bengals did everything in time but the NFL said the Cleveland Browns failed to get the trade in by 4 PM of Trade Deadline. Hue Jackson and the Browns have argued to the NFL they thought they got it in, they tried to get it in, and for NFL to approve the trade. The NFL says Cleveland missed the Deadline and no trade. The News is saying, " That is so Cleveland ". The News reports are saying it made sense for Cleveland to want McCarron who Hue Jackson already knows. That Cleveland who has been looking for a quarterback for years may have just traded for the one they have been looking for in McCarron, but they didn't get the trade to the NFL in until after the deadline.

So Bengals DID NOT fail to make a trade or mess up this trade. The Bengals had the trade finished on their end. AJ McCarron for Cleveland's # 2 and # 3 pick in the draft and since Browns will be picking first, those would have been like a # 1 and a # 2 pick for Bengals . Picks 33 and 65. Bengals had the trade to rebuild in the draft and get McCarron out from behind Dalton to a team like Browns where McCarron could win the starters job. Bengals had their end of the trade done. Cleveland thought they had their end of the trade done. NFL said NO, that Cleveland messed it up and didn't get it in before the trade deadline. The Browns wanted this trade and McCarron, they just fumbled it.

Blame Cleveland for fumbling and bumbling this trade. I've bee as hard on Mike Brown and Bengals owners as anybody but this was not their fault. The Cleveland Brown owners fumbled and bumbled this trade and they wanted McCarron. The News Media all over is saying. " This is so Cleveland ". Cleveland who wanted McCarron bad failed to get the trade to the NFL by the trade deadline time. " So Cleveland ". They could have used McCarron. Bengals who will have high draft picks anyway would have been in quick rebuild mode with Browns picks 33 and 65 also. Cleveland fumbled the trade.

So I repeat. BLAME CLEVELAND, not Bengals. CLEVELAND MESSED UP THIS TRADE......Washington Post says Cleveland was celebrating the trade so much, they forgot to turn it into the NFL before deadline.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This season isn't getting any better. We blew any opportunity we had to get a good draft pick for a guys who's most likely going to walk after this year. Dealing McCarron should have been done in the preseason.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:06 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This season isn't getting any better. We blew any opportunity we had to get a good draft pick for a guys who's most likely going to walk after this year. Dealing McCarron should have been done in the preseason.
 NO, you don't get it.  This is why I posted this extra thread on the trade.  We, The Bengals, didn't as you say, " Blow This ".   The Cleveland Browns " BLEW THIS " as they celebrated getting AJ McCarron but forgot to turn the trade into the NFL before the trade deadline.  Everybody in the media is laughing at how the no win Cleveland Browns even screwed up this trade.  Bengal fans need to know it wasn't the Bengals this time.  

As for saying we should have traded McCarron in preseason.  Nobody offered Bengals a deal like this until yesterday.  The Bengals had a sweet deal getting Browns 2nd and 3rd round picks.  Browns with no wins, those were like a 1st and a 2nd round pick.  Picks 33 and 65 in the draft.  Cleveland was more than glad to give up those high picks because they were celebrating getting McCarron at quarterback so much that they forgot to turn the trade into the NFL and the trade deadline ran out.  

As long as there is The Cleveland Browns, Bengals are not the worst team in Ohio or AFC North.  The Mistake On The Lake " Blew Another One "....in the words of Sam Wyche, " Remember that you don't live in Cleveland ". 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What is the purpose of a trade deadline? Why can't we trade players whenever up until the playoffs? Lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What is the purpose of a trade deadline? Why can't we trade players whenever up until the playoffs? Lol.

It would have helped if Cleveland would have remembered there is a trade deadline, LOL.   Celebrating getting McCarron but forgot to turn in the trade.  That's the Mistake On The Lake.  Just remember kids, you don't live in Cleveland.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What is the purpose of a trade deadline? Why can't we trade players whenever up until the playoffs? Lol.

To avoid teams just about getting into playoffs getting super stacked while teams completely out of it selling the farm.
While I understand that mindset, I've always felt around this time was a little early. Maybe mid-November for a deadline instead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:06 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This season isn't getting any better. We blew any opportunity we had to get a good draft pick for a guys who's most likely going to walk after this year. Dealing McCarron should have been done in the preseason.

I bet you pay full price for automobiles..... Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I bet you pay full price for automobiles.....

But Saturn says they do not wheel and deal!!!!!!!!!!!  Cry
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:51 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: But Saturn says they do not wheel and deal!!!!!!!!!!!  Cry

They all say that until you are walking away. Sometimes you get a sweet deal, sometimes they let you walk. It's part of the process.... no one gets a great deal early.
Reply/Quote
There are reports out there that it was the Bengals who blew this. We will most likely never know the truth.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:45 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: There are reports out there that it was the Bengals who blew this. We will most likely never know the truth.

No, they are wrong. We turned in our paperwork the Browns did not. The Browns tried claiming we were supposed to send theirs in but that is not allowed. The Browns must submit their own paperwork and they didn't.

The Browns screwed this up 100% and it's not debatable. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:45 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: There are reports out there that it was the Bengals who blew this. We will most likely never know the truth.

Even if the Browns blew it yesterday, the Bengals still had a year to trade McCarron and they chose not to.  I get it, best deal, wait until the deadline, and so on, but it didn't get done.  Mike Brown doesn't HAVE to trade anyone, so he seems to have a tendency to ask for more than his fair share. It almost seems like a "fair trade" isn't worth his time. We wanted more than the Pats got for Garpopololopoloo and we didn't get it.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if the Browns blew it yesterday, the Bengals still had a year to trade McCarron and they chose not to.  I get it, best deal, wait until the deadline, and so on, but it didn't get done.  Mike Brown doesn't HAVE to trade anyone, so he seems to have a tendency to ask for more than his fair share.  It almost seems like a "fair trade" isn't worth his time.  We wanted more than the Pats got for Garpopololopoloo and we didn't get it.

As soon as i saw what Jimmy G went for my first thought was "AJ now commands a 3rd or 4th". I was shocked by the Browns offer. They wanted Jimmy bad and they literally almost panicked into a bad deal for themselves.  Damn

I imaging this bluff will live in infamy around here.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:13 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: As soon as i saw what Jimmy G went for my first thought was "AJ now commands a 3rd or 4th". I was shocked by the Browns offer. They wanted Jimmy bad and they literally almost panicked into a bad deal for themselves.  Damn

I imaging this bluff will live in infamy around here.

Are we sure the Browns didn't change their minds?  Or maybe they just wanted to see what it would take to pry McCarron from Mike Brown and then thought, nah we can shoot for him as a FA instead.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if the Browns blew it yesterday, the Bengals still had a year to trade McCarron and they chose not to.  I get it, best deal, wait until the deadline, and so on, but it didn't get done.  Mike Brown doesn't HAVE to trade anyone, so he seems to have a tendency to ask for more than his fair share. It almost seems like a "fair trade" isn't worth his time. We wanted more than the Pats got for Garpopololopoloo and we didn't get it.

We did the same thing the Pats did the only difference was our trade partners inability to finalize a deal.
Reply/Quote
I only stated how it was reported first. Take veiled shots at me if you want because more details came as the evening went on. But Shefty's words not mine. Besides there were still reports that it was the Bengals fault late in the day. So many people who get paid to report news were wrong. If you want to give the Bengals a pass for waiting to offer up McCarron until 3:30pm on deadline day that's fine. But if they wanted to trade him they could have started the process a little earlier. It is week 8. A lot of blame to go around.

I think it's ridiculous to act like the Browns messed up a trade "accidently" (their Front Office clearly wasn't on same page as Coaching staff)...... Think about it. They've been trading like crazy for the past 2 years. They know what they are doing, and have more experience with trades then the Bengals Front Office.

Who cares now tho. The trade didn't happen. Move on.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:23 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We did the same thing the Pats did the only difference was our trade partners inability to finalize a deal.

Well that's a relief.  Our hands are clean.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well that's a relief.  Our hands are clean.

Had the deal went through, it still would have done nothing to improve the team NOW.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Had the deal went through, it still would have done nothing to improve the team NOW.

Meh, it would have been something.  Something to show the Bengals recognize the status quo isn't getting it done.  I don't have all the facts, I may never anyways, and I'm just confirming a preconceived bias but I think Mike Brown asked for too much because he's bolstered by the fact that he can't get fired.

When you are invincible the other side has to really make it worth your while, and whether it fell through because the Browns eventually balked at the price OR were too busy slapping each other on the backs is irrelevant.  We wanted that extra 3rd and it cost us the deal, right?  I get it.  It's business. 

I'll admit I wanted to see what McCarron and Hue could do (might be mildly amusing, if nothing else because the Bengals aren't really lighting my fire this year), and we might have been looking at the #33 overall pick in the draft next year. Those are both more interesting than McCarron sitting on a bench, to me.
Reply/Quote
Yep...I was on here yesterday bagging on the Bengals' front office for doing nothing. Well, I'll eat the crow as the Bengals in fact had a solid deal worked out for McCarron. Browns worked one over on them and should be held accountable by the NFL.
Reply/Quote