Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Defenders Noticing New Aggressiveness On O-Line!
Even the defenders are noticing a difference with the line blocking under Pollack!

It's causing players to talk:
Quote:Talk of a new culture up front has chased the Cincinnati Bengals into training camp this summer.

With Paul Alexander gone and Frank Pollack at the controls, a more aggressive approach is something fans have repeatedly heard about. Tasked with helping overhaul the line, new left tackle Cordy Glenn and rookie center Billy Price have made headlines for different reasons.

Both, at least, have been aggressive to the point defenders see a difference during every rep.

“They beat us up today a little bit,” linebacker Nick Vigil said, according to the team’s official website. “They seem more aggressive. They seem like they’re coming off a little more. It’s a little different mentality. It’s good to see, but we have to match that.”

This is what fans should want to hear at the end of July. While Price has had snap issues every day of practice so far, he’s also been an aggressor and should clean up the problems as he get more reps.

Remember, even some within the Bengals had reportedly called some of Alexander’s most recent units “soft.” Pollack takes a different approach, having his guys attack off the snap instead of backpedal.

If defenders are having to adjust because they notice the difference already, it should speak well to how the line performs during the regular season. There’s a long way to go and the right side still needs to see starters emerge, but this sure beats the uncertainty of last year.

This has me fired up because, if the defenders are noticing it on our stout d-line, it's going to also get them fired up to step-up their games and get on the same level. I feel like, even though some people might not think about it, it's giving the line and the offense an identity and an enthusiasm.

Think about how well Mixon ran last year behind Alexander's timid schemes, and now imagine him this year running behind a line that's firing out to drive defenders into the ground!

I'm so ready for the season and now we have coaches that are giving us a new attitude where our players are going out to kick ass!
Reply/Quote
Hell yes. Exactly the stuff you want to be hearing at this time in camp. Get after em boys!
Reply/Quote
I kind of wish they would keep stuff like this low key. My personal opinion, but we shouldn't tell other teams we are not going to let them hit us first anymore. Let them find out the hard way. After watching a lot of national sporting news, I'm sure teams are not worried about the horrid Bengals anyways, so it doesn't matter I guess.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 02:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I kind of wish they would keep stuff like this low key. My personal opinion, but we shouldn't tell other teams we are not going to let them hit us first anymore. Let them find out the hard way. After watching a lot of national sporting news, I'm sure teams are not worried about the horrid Bengals anyways, so it doesn't matter I guess.

I know your feeling but the good thing when you're a good team, whether its a secret, or splashed all over the media is, if you're good you're going to be good no matter what (and win).

Hopefully they have secret plays to use in the Super bowl.
Reply/Quote
They could be more aggressive because there are multiple guys fighting for multiple open spots.
Reply/Quote
Just look at what happened to the rush game and indeed the overall offense last season after Lazor got Piano Man overruled and changed the line blocking scheme. We shot up to 28.5 PPG and 144 YPG rushing after the scheme chance fully took hold.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 02:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I kind of wish they would keep stuff like this low key. My personal opinion, but we shouldn't tell other teams we are not going to let them hit us first anymore. Let them find out the hard way. After watching a lot of national sporting news, I'm sure teams are not worried about the horrid Bengals anyways, so it doesn't matter I guess.

You don’t think teams would notice in the preseason?

Let them try to be ready for us and then we come out and punch them in the mouth!

I’m fired up!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote

lol...Nothing in this league stays quiet....
Reply/Quote

Everyone is scouting everyone else so outside of playbooks there really are no big secrets.. After all , if fans can go watch practices there's absolutely nothing preventing other teams sending scouts to watch those very same practices . It's not as if you need a secret fan ID card with a birth certificate with a sworn allegiance to your team to get in.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 05:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: Everyone is scouting everyone else so outside of playbooks there really are no big secrets.. After all , if fans can go watch practices there's absolutely nothing preventing other teams sending scouts to watch those very same practices . It's not as if you need a secret fan ID card with a birth certificate with a sworn allegiance to your team to get in.. lol

Hilarious

Forget scouts because every media market takes any story with any significant or interesting news and runs with it!
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about the defensive line at all...so anytime I read the o line is beating them up in practice, I'm excited. Geno vs Bodine in practice must have been good for a Clchuckle the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 01:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Even the defenders are noticing a difference with the line blocking under Pollack!

It's causing players to talk:

This has me fired up because, if the defenders are noticing it on our stout d-line, it's going to also get them fired up to step-up their games and get on the same level.  I feel like, even though some people might not think about it, it's giving the line and the offense an identity and an enthusiasm.  

Think about how well Mixon ran last year behind Alexander's timid schemes, and now imagine him this year running behind a line that's firing out to drive defenders into the ground!

I'm so ready for the season and now we have coaches that are giving us a new attitude where our players are going out to kick ass!

I am tingly.

Just so refreshing, i love this!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am tingly.

Just so refreshing, i love this!

I haven't felt like this in a long, LONG time!  

My optimism is through the roof, but it's more than that because I'm just excited to see them play and have fun watching them go to work.

I don't think I've ever been as excited about a back as I am about Mixon.

AJ has a few guys that can compliment him and a few that seem like they can be playmakers, and I'm especially excited to watch teams try and cover him AND Ross deep.

Eifert sounds like he's looking sharp, and not to mention guys like Uzomah.

The line.............  beautiful  Cry

And then the defense is FULL of playmakers!

It's going to be an exciting year!
Reply/Quote
Eww wee it will be fun if we our running over people and Green Eifert and Ross are healthy.

Trading Paul Alexander for Pollack might be the best trade in team history
Reply/Quote
I can't handle all this good news that keeps coming. I am to the point where I think I'm dreaming this all up. But I also haven't felt like this through the off season in a long time. Uh...WHO DEY.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
It's about time! I like that aspect of open competition for spots, along with the change in approach to the way they do things.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 02:19 PM)Bengalitis Wrote:  I know your feeling but the good thing when you're a good team, whether its a secret, or splashed all over the media is, if you're good you're going to be good no matter what (and win).

Agreed and I feel the same way whenever people mention a "tough schedule".

Even if it is tough, the cream always rises. Great teams just beat whoever is in front of them and end up with 13+ wins regardless.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 11:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't handle all this good news that keeps coming.  I am to the point where I think I'm dreaming this all up.  But I also haven't felt like this through the off season in a long time.  Uh...WHO DEY.

It's better than the sharp stick in the eye we usually get, that's for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
How is Eifert doing?
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 05:06 PM)bengals67 Wrote: How is Eifert doing?

Caught a TD i just saw...
Reply/Quote