Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Defense now 3-4 hybrid
(03-05-2020, 04:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think a player like Geno would benefit by drawing more holding calls, if he were straight up over the Tackle.  He still has one of the better rip moves that I've seen, and those long armed Tackles won't be able to resist trying to lasso him by the neck.

Geno could just bully OT's man...

It might almost be unfair. I think Geno and Hubbard would benefit the most in a 3-4.
Reply/Quote
Always thought that the Front 7 could pull off a 3-4 with the following alignment:

DEs - Dunlap, Atkins
NT - Billings/Tupou
OLBs - Lawson, Hubbard
ILBs - Pratt, Vigil (or someone else)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 02:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is actually a really complex topic but I'll try and explain it the easiest way. The reason a lot of people refer to it that way is because old profiles of what the prototypical player at that position were like are hard for people to break from. Early on many 3-4 defenses were a 2 gap scheme. Because most 3-4 were ran as two gap schemes DT's were then pigeon holed as 3-4 DT's because they were probably a little bigger and more anchors than penetrators. Same for the inverse a lot of 4-3 schemes were traditionally single gap schemes where the personnel was a little smaller so they could shoot gaps and penetrate so if you were a smaller DT you often were type cast as 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. 

Now the thing to understand is most of those beliefs really aren't hard and fast rules anymore. Wade Phillips for instance doesn't like his linemen to sit back and wait so he runs a 3-4 single gap scheme. There are coaches as well that like to run a 4-3 2 gab even scheme where the D linemen eat more blockers and let their linebackers read and react. 

It goes far more in depth than that but essentially players should be rated by their ability and  what they will be asked to do in a scheme more than a generic scheme like they currently are done but the reality is the average fan doesn't know or really care what that means but they can under stand 4-3 versus 3-4. 

That is the camp I'm coming from. I've always been interested in the 3-4 basically because some of the best defenses in our division from the Steelers and Ravens were 3-4. I'm starting to get a better understanding of it though and it sounds like its a lot of terminology because there is so much flexibility within the basic generic versions of 3-4 or 4-3. Definitely excited to see what direction Lou take it, and what players he ends up with. Hopefully some LB's and S's who can cover and tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Always thought that the Front 7 could pull off a 3-4 with the following alignment:

DEs - Dunlap, Atkins
NT - Billings/Tupou
OLBs - Lawson, Hubbard

I think so too as long as Lawson got better in coverage. If I was an Offense I would attack him through the air.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Always thought that the Front 7 could pull off a 3-4 with the following alignment:

DEs - Dunlap, Atkins
NT - Billings/Tupou
OLBs - Lawson, Hubbard

I remember them running a lot of 3 down linemen in a game in 2010. I think it was against the Saints or Steelers... I'm leaning Saints because it wasn't televised due to a blackout. That's the reason I remember it. Lapham wouldn't shut up about it, and Geno, MJ, and Dunlap were getting after it...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:10 PM)jason Wrote: I remember them running a lot of 3 down linemen in a game in 2010. I think it was against the Saints or Steelers... I'm leaning Saints because it wasn't televised due to a blackout. That's the reason I remember it. Lapham wouldn't shut up about it, and Geno, MJ, and Dunlap were getting after it...

Sometimes I wonder why we go away from things that work for us...

Reminds me of the game against Peyton and the Broncos when Paulie G confused the hell out of Peyton and Kirkpatrick had the
best game of his career and we never saw those looks again.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sometimes I wonder why we go away from things that work for us...

Reminds me of the game against Peyton and the Broncos when Paulie G confused the hell out of Peyton and Kirkpatrick had the
best game of his career and we never saw those looks again.

Yeah... And that game I was referring to was during a lost season. Carlos and Geno weren't even starters yet, and I think they were still moving MJ back and forth between LB and DE. Remember how skinny he was when he first came into the league?

One thing's for sure. Jeremy Hill never had another game like the one you were referring to after that.

On a creepy note... I didn't have cable back then and watched that game looking out my window at the guy across the street's big screen with the radio on... They were old AF. It wasn't like I was gonna see any hanky panky.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:24 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... And that game I was referring to was during a lost season. Carlos and Geno weren't even starters yet, and I think they were still moving MJ back and forth between LB and DE. Remember how skinny he was when he first came into the league?

One thing's for sure. Jeremy Hill never had another game like the one you were referring to after that.

On a creepy note... I didn't have cable back then and watched that game looking out my window at the guy across the street's big screen with the radio on... They were old AF. It wasn't like I was gonna see any hanky panky.

That is a bit creepy but I completely understand lol
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a bit creepy but I completely understand lol

Man just wanted to see the game... Haha.

It was funny cause I'd hear what happened on the radio first then I'd just look out the window and see it from the delay on TV. So in my defense... I wasn't staring.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
bring in littleton and draft william gay jr in the 3rd.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 07:20 PM)Okeana Wrote: bring in littleton and draft william gay jr in the 3rd.

Would that be William Gay from the Steelers's kid? If so, he had em young.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:24 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... And that game I was referring to was during a lost season. Carlos and Geno weren't even starters yet, and I think they were still moving MJ back and forth between LB and DE. Remember how skinny he was when he first came into the league?

You'd have still watch if there was hanky panky going on!! Hilarious  Hey you gotta do, what you gotta do, to watch your team!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 07:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You'd have still watch if there was hanky panky going on!! Hilarious  Hey you gotta do, what you gotta do, to watch your team!

That's rough. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too as long as Lawson got better in coverage. If I was an Offense I would attack him through the air.

Not every 3-4 OLB is good in coverage.
3-4 OLBs specialize in rushing the passer.
You know this.
Stop hoping for a unicorn :-P
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not every 3-4 OLB is good in coverage.
3-4 OLBs specialize in rushing the passer.
You know this.
Stop hoping for a unicorn :-P

Well Lawson can make up for his poor coverage being a great pass rusher, we all know this. 

He just has to stay healthy. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 07:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You'd have still watch if there was hanky panky going on!! Hilarious  Hey you gotta do, what you gotta do, to watch your team!

I've since discovered Sling TV... The Emrick's are now completely safe from my prying eyes. That and I lost that place in a divorce.

It's funny how the times change though... Back then I took extreme measures to view some games. This past season if it was a nice day outside it was "**** those losers. I'm spending time with my daughter.".

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:20 PM)jason Wrote: I've since discovered Sling TV... The Emrick's are now completely safe from my prying eyes. That and I lost that place in a divorce.

It's funny how the times change though... Back then I took extreme measures to view some games. This past season if it was a nice day outside it was "**** those losers. I'm spending time with my daughter.".

They better make some big moves this year cause that is the way most of us Bengal fans feel now. Apathetic.

Don't care no more.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They better make some big moves this year cause that is the way most of us Bengal fans feel now. Apathetic.

Don't care no more.

It started the tail end of 2018 for me. I gave them a chance again last year, and even went to the 49ers game (Lord have mercy)... After the Cardinals game I checked out. I'd turn them on now and again, and I watched the last few games... But that's it.

I moved back into their TV market in 05... For 13 years I rarely missed a game, but apathy is creeping in. You see it in the stands too. Burrow brings hope, but they're on a short leash with me... Especially since I have my daughter 98% of all Sundays. I'm not wasting 3 hours on bullshit.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The main reason that I like this is that it leaves us more unpredictable because we can do a lot of different things from this look. We'll obviously need the personnel for it, but I'm liking the way our coaching staff is thinking and the fact that we'll be able to attack in a lot of different ways with these looks.

Our team is adapting!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:20 PM)jason Wrote: I've since discovered Sling TV... The Emrick's are now completely safe from my prying eyes. That and I lost that place in a divorce.

My golf game gets a lot better!
Reply/Quote