Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Did Improve To 7-9 and 7-7 with Lasor
Bengals were 6-10 last year and started 0-2 with no touchdowns. Out with Zampese, in with Lasor. Somehow this awful, awful team at start of season came back and played .500 ball rest of season. NO QUIT....Wins that stand out are winning at Denver, Beating Buffalo. Finishing with wins over Detroit and Baltimore. So Bengals did NOT go 6-10 or 4-12 or 0-16 like Browns. 7-9 is respectable, not great, but respectable. You can get back to the play-offs faster from 7-9 than you can 0-16. Trust me, Browns would LOVE to be 7-9 after being in last every year winning almost no games at all. I thought Bengals had packed it in and wouldn't win another game and would go 5-11. Some how team woke up. maybe trying to win for Marvin, maybe the guard moved to left tackle, maybe all of it, and team NEVER QUIT and finished a respectable 7-9.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 02:22 AM)kevin Wrote: Bengals were 6-10 last year and started 0-2 with no touchdowns. Out with Zampese, in with Lasor.  Somehow this awful, awful team at start of season came back and played .500 ball rest of season.  NO QUIT....Wins that stand out are winning at Denver, Beating Buffalo.  Finishing with wins over Detroit and Baltimore.   So Bengals did NOT go 6-10 or 4-12 or 0-16 like Browns.  7-9 is respectable, not great, but respectable. You can get back to the play-offs faster from 7-9 than you can 0-16.  Trust me, Browns would LOVE to be 7-9 after being in last every year winning almost no games at all.  I thought Bengals had packed it in and wouldn't win another game and would go 5-11.   Some how team woke up. maybe trying to win for Marvin, maybe the guard moved to left tackle, maybe all of it, and team NEVER QUIT and finished a respectable 7-9.

It's crazy to think that this team was actually close to going to the playoffs. We had a few close games this season that we could have won. Texans, Packers, Titans, and Steelers were all close games. If the ball bounced our way in those games we could have been 11-5 and that's with all of our problems. This team just needs a new head coach and improvements at the OL and we might have a very good team on our hands. We have found the answer at the running game with Mixon and Gio. Green is always a top receiver, and with Kroft, Boyd, and possibly Ross our receiving core isn't that bad. If we get a new HC and draft Nelson in the first and Price in the second I will be VERY hyped for the next season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 02:22 AM)kevin Wrote:  and team NEVER QUIT and finished a respectable 7-9.

I don't know....looked to me like they quit against the Bears and Vikings.  But, they did rally enough (after a few key personnel changes) to screw themselves out of a high draft pick... Yay!
Reply/Quote
7-9 is by no definition "respectable" it's a losing record. It's mediocre to poor.

9-7, 10-6 might be respectable. This team was mediocre.
Reply/Quote
What is so frustrating about 7-9 is that we can certainly see multiple games we could have won.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:11 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  If the ball bounced our way in those games we could have been 11-5 and that's with all of our problems. 

Could it be that the team couldn't get the ball to bounce their way, because of those problems?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know....looked to me like they quit against the Bears and Vikings. 

Agreed, how soon we forget. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know....looked to me like they quit against the Bears and Vikings.  But, they did rally enough (after a few key personnel changes) to screw themselves out of a high draft pick... Yay!

Stop it : 10 falling to 12 isn't a big deal, this narrative is weak.

As for those two games, the Vikings game, I think everyone had the wind out of their sails with the Marv announcement.

But the Bears game, we lost 5 guys due to the Stoolers and all starters: I think they were too battered and missing Burfict allowed them to run on us.

Most teams never give up.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I just don't want anyone to misinterpret the last two games into not doing anything and everything necessary to fix the Offensive Line.
Reply/Quote
The fact is that these last 2 wins may have given us more of Marvin. He looked worn and defeated several times this year. He won’t let the best players play until others get hurt, it’s way past time for new philosophies around here.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 02:22 AM)kevin Wrote: Bengals were 6-10 last year and started 0-2 with no touchdowns. Out with Zampese, in with Lasor.  Somehow this awful, awful team at start of season came back and played .500 ball rest of season.  NO QUIT....Wins that stand out are winning at Denver, Beating Buffalo.  Finishing with wins over Detroit and Baltimore.   So Bengals did NOT go 6-10 or 4-12 or 0-16 like Browns.  7-9 is respectable, not great, but respectable. You can get back to the play-offs faster from 7-9 than you can 0-16.  Trust me, Browns would LOVE to be 7-9 after being in last every year winning almost no games at all.  I thought Bengals had packed it in and wouldn't win another game and would go 5-11.   Some how team woke up. maybe trying to win for Marvin, maybe the guard moved to left tackle, maybe all of it, and team NEVER QUIT and finished a respectable 7-9.

The Bengals are 9-18-1 against teams not from Cleveland over the last two years. 

Can we please stop using the whole 'the Browns would love to be the Bengals' thing?

Not trying to be an ass Kevin, but shouldn't the barometer be how we stack up in comparison to the best teams, and not how much better we are than the worst team in football?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals are 9-18-1 against teams not from Cleveland over the last two years. 

Can we please stop using the whole 'the Browns would love to be the Bengals' thing?

Not trying to be an ass Kevin, but shouldn't the barometer be how we stack up in comparison to the best teams, and not how much better we are than the worst team in football?

In reality, how much better off are we than Browns fans?  Are we really any closer to a SB than they are?  At least they get to hope.  Ah yes, hope, the thing Mike takes such pleasure in murdering.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Competent coaching we could've had at least three more. Steelers/Packers games should've been over and we let them come back. Titans was another one that was mind boggling. If everyone remembers correctly, we had several like that as well. Including that ugly game in London against the Redskins.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: In reality, how much better off are we than Browns fans?  Are we really any closer to a SB than they are?  At least they get to hope.  Ah yes, hope, the thing Mike takes such pleasure in murdering.

I don’t think there’s any real hope with either franchise. Both owners are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: In reality, how much better off are we than Browns fans?  Are we really any closer to a SB than they are?  At least they get to hope.  Ah yes, hope, the thing Mike takes such pleasure in murdering.

Hard to say.  They have another opportunity to royally screw up a draft where they have an embarrassment of high picks.  It would suck to be a Browns fan, but they have made some progress in the trenches.  If they, by some miracle, finally manage to draft a decent qb, then who knows?  They're pretty historically awful at doing just that, so I wouldn't bet money on it.  They have 2 picks in the top 4, so maybe they can take 2 quarterbacks just to increase the odds, lol.
Reply/Quote
Hard to believe, but the other teams we play against also get paid to win games. It's not AS IF games are ONLY decided by our team and our team alone, but sometimes reading this board and others like it you wouldn't know that.. 
We almost broke even so it could have been worse. It could have been better too, but every game they play is still played against other NFL teams who have the same goals in mind starting their seasons out..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

C'mon man..the Browns went 1-31 over the past two seasons...We were 13-17 in the same span.. 
Sure they have more high picks, but when haven't they had more high picks than us in the past 5 or 6 seasons? The Browns have turned squandering draft picks into an art form.. 

When I grow up I wanna be drafted by the Browns!, said no kid ever in the past decade.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 12:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Stop it : 10 falling to 12 isn't a big deal, this narrative is weak.

As for those two games, the Vikings game, I think everyone had the wind out of their sails with the Marv announcement.

But the Bears game, we lost 5 guys due to the Stoolers and all starters: I think they were too battered and missing Burfict allowed them to run on us.

Most teams never give up.

Truck, I love you man...and miss your PFF rankings show on here.

BUUUUTTTTT....

This team has repeatedly given up.  If you would have seen some of the effort at games.  Guys literally running away from making a tackle.  Short-arming passes.  Falling down when touched by a defender.  Quitting is a strong word, but they sure as hell didn't have a lot of fire this year.  

I miss guys like TJ that seemingly hated losing.  That dude was clutch and all-effort all the time.  I like what I see in Mixon, the re-shuffled line (the new guys), and Kroft, but the Bengals have about as much fire as a wet firecracker in a lot of games.  

I would take that win and ending Baltimore's season all day long, though...

I was being sarcastic about the draft picks, but I half wonder if they thought after losing both their starting tackles and then one of the backups that they had no idea they would actually look BETTER.  Now, if only we could put Westerman at Center, Redmond at RG, Boling back at LG, and draft the next fixture at LT, we could start talking playoff runs again instead of draft position.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:11 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's crazy to think that this team was actually close to going to the playoffs. We had a few close games this season that we could have won. Texans, Packers, Titans, and Steelers were all close games. If the ball bounced our way in those games we could have been 11-5 and that's with all of our problems. This team just needs a new head coach and improvements at the OL and we might have a very good team on our hands. We have found the answer at the running game with Mixon and Gio. Green is always a top receiver, and with Kroft, Boyd, and possibly Ross our receiving core isn't that bad. If we get a new HC and draft Nelson in the first and Price in the second I will be VERY hyped for the next season.

Ross has yet to prove he can play in the NFL. He has one touch and one fumble. For a top 10 pick. That's just messed up.

Mike Brown still controls the Bengals' draft choices and we know he considers interior linemen more like underwear, cheap to buy and easy to dispose of. If Mike Brown has any say left in the draft after the mess of drafting Ross last year then we won't be spending a high 1st round pick on a G and we won't spend a 2nd round pick on a C.

Reply/Quote
Dead. Cat. Bounce.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote