Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals, Dolphins favorites to trade for Derrick Henry?
So you'd want to get decisions either way on vet extensions that could pull money into this year, but if you get some of those now and if Henry hangs on the market long enough you have to consider it. Plan A is to use the money at higher priotity positions and end up with a cheaper Perine/rookie, but at some point I'd do it depending the cost.
Reply/Quote
Henry is on the downhill part of his career and our Oline is mediocre at best when healthy. I dont see adding Henry to the team helping much when we have other needs and options.
Reply/Quote
King Henry at RB would be awesome for the Bengals. Burrow would have a ground and air attack. However, I just don't see it happening at this time. The Bengals still need to extend Burrow which will be expensive.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote

1. Henry is an excellent player.  I love his style and his drive.  But he's an old running back.  He's also an expensive running back.  He's also used to being fed the ball in a run first offense.  The heart says YES PLEASE.  The brain says no.
Reply/Quote
Mixon and a 5th for Henry. I'd do it.
Reply/Quote
I believe he would help balance this offense out.

He can get you 3-4 yards at a time. He can break off long runs.

He was the 6th best at pass blocking last year.

He can catch out of the backfield (not his best attribute, but he is solid)

Now he is in his age 29 season with a ton of wear on his body. That said, this could be like when Dillion went to the pats. You would likely need to rip up the last year on his deal and do a new deal, maybe only 2 years with a significant amount gtd. The Burrow contract is going to kick in (against the cap) in 2 years, so really the window is 2 years with manageable QB dollars against the cap.

I’m indifferent, but he would help this team in the short term.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:02 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Please no.  I’d rather keep our guys and draft a rb.  He will still want big money and I think he’s already starting to decline.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

He's already started breaking down.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Stewy Wrote: Agreed.

Window beofre we get destroyed by cap hits is only 1 year longer anyway. Henry in 2023-2024 will still likely be top 5
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 10:56 AM)Housh Wrote: Window beofre we get destroyed by cap hits is only 1 year longer anyway. Henry in 2023-2024 will still likely be top 5

The window is open a long as Burrow is here.

Fan desperation isn't pretty.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Stewy Wrote: Agreed.

The plan isn't to keep him until he retires, just add him for the season and win the Super Bowl.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cutting Mixon post 6/1 and trading for DH would only add $1M to this year's cap. Would defer $2.75M of Mixon's hit to next year. Definitely doable. You'd probably want to sweeten the deal for Henry by converting some of his base to a signing bonus.

I'd still re-sign Perine and draft a mid-rounder to limit Henry's touches during the regular season.

For me, it just depends on what the Titans would want in return to make it worth the risk on his age.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 11:22 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Cutting Mixon post 6/1 and trading for DH would only add $1M to this year's cap. Would defer $2.75M of Mixon's hit to next year. Definitely doable. You'd probably want to sweeten the deal for Henry by converting some of his base to a signing bonus.

I'd still re-sign Perine and draft a mid-rounder to limit Henry's touches during the regular season.

For me, it just depends on what the Titans would want in return to make it worth the risk on his age.

I don't know that they could restructure him, as he's in the final year of his second contract.  I think that they only way to do what you were suggesting is to sign him to an extension.  Not sure that would work, with the Burrow, Higgins, Chase deals all looming.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 11:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The plan isn't to keep him until he retires, just add him for the season and win the Super Bowl.

And RB isn't what  stopped in the playoffs the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:51 PM)Stewy Wrote: And RB isn't what  stopped in the playoffs the last two years.

Umm, I can point back to a couple of occasions where the Bengals needed a yard or two, and if they had a power back like Henry, they could have just handed it off and relaxed.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Umm, I can point back to a couple of occasions where the Bengals needed a yard or two, and if they had a power back like Henry, they could have just handed it off and relaxed.

Pure speculation.  Not unreasonable speculation, but you're assuming there was a hole and our RB missed it.  Whereas, it is just as likely or more so that it was the OLINE (which we know has been bad) or scheme (which some say is questionable).  
Reply/Quote
if we are getting rid of mixon its to Save money not to replace his contract with henrys lol
Reply/Quote
This is moot. No way in hell the Bengals front office is signing an old, expensive running back. We about to cut one ourselves.

The front office learned their lessons from the first two years of the Taylor era. Old, expensive, slowing players are not going to be paid here.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 01:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if we are getting rid of mixon its to Save money not to replace his contract with henrys lol

Hmm, I thought the point of getting rid of Mixon was because he isn't worth the value of his contract?  The cap savings was just a bonus.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 09:53 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe he would help balance this offense out.

He can get you 3-4 yards at a time.  He can break off long runs.

He was the 6th best at pass blocking last year.

He can catch out of the backfield (not his best attribute, but he is solid)

Now he is in his age 29 season with a ton of wear on his body. That said, this could be like when Dillion went to the pats.  You would likely need to rip up the last year on his deal and do a new deal, maybe only 2 years with a significant amount gtd.  The Burrow contract is going to kick in (against the cap) in 2 years, so really the window is 2 years with manageable QB dollars against the cap.  

I’m indifferent, but he would help this team in the short term.

Well, thanks Bengalbug, that was all I needed to know. Like I said, never really paid attention to Henry's pass blocking much so I 
had no idea. I still doubt this is a thing but if we could cut Mixon like Schmitbuck said post 6/1 and trade for Henry I would be for it.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 11:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: The window is open a long as Burrow is here.

Fan desperation isn't pretty.

Henry is only owed 10M so i don’t think it’s fan desperation to want a top 5 back at likely the same price it would take to keep Perine and Mixon.

Dude did just have 1500 yards.
-Housh
Reply/Quote