Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Draft and Other Interesting Stories
Let's do a thread to liven things up a bit.

During the 2011 draft...the Falcons wanted to trade up to grab a WR.

They offered the Bengals a trade package that included 5 picks. I remember a lot of fans argued that they should take the trade. I argued that we needed an impact player. http://www.scoresreport.com/2011/04/29/report-falcons-wanted-green-but-bengals-rejected-trade-offer/

The Falcons actually wanted AJ Green.

The Browns took the trade.

Atlanta got: Julio Jones

The Browns got 5 picks! Wow. 5 picks! A 1st (27), 2nd, and 4th in that draft...and a 1st and 4th in the following draft.

They got:

1 ) Phil Taylor - A big DT. The Browns actually traded up with KC to 21 to get him. At the time he looked like he'd be great. He was gone in 2015 mainly due to injuries. His rookie year was his best year.
2 ) Greg Little - Yeah the guy that we signed an waived a couple times.
3 ) RB Owen Marecic
4 ) Brandon Weeded
5 ) Trent Richardson (Cleveland used the 4th Round pick from Atlanta in a trade to move up 1 spot to get Richardson)

Sometimes it's more about quality than quantity.

Just think, had the Bengals accepted that trade...the course of the franchise would have changed drastically as Green is our best player.
Reply/Quote
Damn those Stains can screw up shit.
Reply/Quote
Can someone post about the Ki-Jana Carter trade and the Akili Smith/Saints offer?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can someone post about the Ki-Jana Carter trade and the Akili Smith/Saints offer?

True, the Bengals can screw up some shit too. Sad
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's do a thread to liven things up a bit.

They offered the Bengals a trade package that included 5 picks. I remember a lot of fans argued that they should take the trade. I argued that we needed an impact player. http://www.scoresreport.com/2011/04/29/report-falcons-wanted-green-but-bengals-rejected-trade-offer/

The Browns got 5 picks! Wow. 5 picks! A 1st (27), 2nd, and 4th in that draft...and a 1st and 4th in the following draft.

They got:

1 ) Phil Taylor - A big DT. The Browns actually traded up with KC to 21 to get him. At the time he looked like he'd be great. He was gone in 2015 mainly due to injuries. His rookie year was his best year.
3 ) RB Owen Marecic
4 ) Brandon Weeded
5 ) Trent Richardson (Cleveland used the 4th Round pick from Atlanta in a trade to move up 1 spot to get Richardson)

Just think, had the Bengals accepted that trade...the course of the franchise would have changed drastically as Green is our best player.

My question would be is who would we have drafted with those picks? Sure the Browns screwed up but if we had taken the deal and not gotten AJ chances are with the pick in the next draft we may have taken Justin Blackmon?? In the trade down pick possibly Cameron Jordan?? Good thread I always like to speculate on these scenarios
Reply/Quote
NOTEBOOK; The Bengals Are Willing to Trade Places

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH  

Published: April 21, 1995

Last year, the Cincinnati Bengals were sitting in the driver's seat of the National Football League college draft with the No. 1 pick over all. They kept the pick and selected defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson of Ohio State.

This year, the Bengals have the No. 5 pick in the first round, but they're still in a good position.

"We will listen to any deal, whether it means moving up or down," said Bengals General Manager Mike Brown. "We have had talks with teams around the league about going either way. There are several possibilities that appeal to us. If it's right, we'll do it."

Cincinnati could keep the pick and get a very good player. Or the Bengals could trade down in the draft, say four, five or six spots and still get the help they need. The Bengals would like to pick running back Tyrone Wheatley of Michigan, and chances are they could still get him if they dropped in the draft order.

The Bengals have had talks with the Jets, who have the No. 9 pick, Minnesota, which picks No. 11, and Philadelphia at No. 12, about trading places. The Jets, Vikings and Eagles want a shot at Warren Sapp, the Miami defensive end. The talks have centered around the Bengals switching positions in the first round, picking up a second-round pick and giving away a fifth-round choice. Chances are Wheatley would still be available at either of those spots. They also like Reuben Brown, the guard from Pittsburgh.

They have also had talks with Carolina about moving up to the top spot for a chance at Ki-Jana Carter, the Penn State running back.

"We're interested in a lot of players, but I'm not going to list them A, B, C," Brown said. "We'd like to move up and take Ki-Jana Carter or Tony Boselli, but I don't think that's going to be possible."

If they keep the pick, and for some reason quarterback Steve McNair of Alcorn State slips to No. 5, will the Bengals select him?

"Yeah," Brown said. "I'm not going to say we would pass over a quarterback lightly."

Brown said he expected things to heat up today and a few deals that have been brewing all week to be consummated before the draft begins tomorrow.

"That's the way it always happens," Brown said. "Teams have been talking about the same deals all week, but teams always want to wait until the last minute, because they think they'll get a better offer." And Now, the Cyberdraft

Draft fans worldwide will be able to stay on top of the proceedings this weekend via the Internet on a site the league set up on April 10. The location on the World Wide Web is http://nflhome.com.

Fans using the Internet will be able to converse with Gil Brandt, former Cowboy scout, and several of the top players scheduled to attend the draft, according to Mary Griswold, a spokeswoman with the N.F.L. Paul Tagliabue, the league's commissioner, might even sit down at the keyboard to take a few questions.

Since the Internet site was set up on April 10, "hundreds of thousands of people" have signed on to get pre-draft information, Griswold said.

"A lot of people watch the draft on ESPN, but so many people use the Internet. This is a way to get them involved," Griswold said of why the N.F.L. decided take the draft into cyberspace.

Also, the N.F.L. moved the location of the draft from the Marriott Marquis to the Paramount in Madison Square Garden to accommodate more fans. There are 3,500 seats available at the Paramount compared with the 600 at the Marriott. Tickets will be distributed starting at 9 A.M. On the Town

Ten of the top college players are expected to attend the draft at the Paramount this year -- the most ever. That's because the N.F.L. has provided the players with a free weekend in Manhattan.

The league is picking up round-trip air fare and hotel accommodations, has arranged for a boat trip around Manhattan, theater tickets and dinner. Players can pick between two Broadway shows, "Tommy" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman."

The players expected to attend the draft this year are Warren Sapp, Luther Elliss, Ki-Jana Carter, Reuben Brown, Kerry Collins, Tony Boselli, Steve McNair, Tyrone Wheatley, Kevin Carter and Kyle Brady.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/21/sports/notebook-the-bengals-are-willing-to-trade-places.html
Reply/Quote
The Browns made the correct decision. Unfortunately just like all of their decisions it screwed them over. The Falcons got lucky to get a top 4 WR and still have a QB that is great, but it messed up the Falcons' depth for years following until they got incredibly lucky to get contributions from rookies to make a good enough defense
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: NOTEBOOK; The Bengals Are Willing to Trade Places

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH  

Last year, the Cincinnati Bengals were sitting in the driver's seat of the National Football League college draft with the No. 1 pick over all. They kept the pick and selected defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson of Ohio State.

This year, the Bengals have the No. 5 pick in the first round, but they're still in a good position.

"We will listen to any deal, whether it means moving up or down," said Bengals General Manager Mike Brown. "We have had talks with teams around the league about going either way. There are several possibilities that appeal to us. If it's right, we'll do it."

Cincinnati could keep the pick and get a very good player. Or the Bengals could trade down in the draft, say four, five or six spots and still get the help they need. The Bengals would like to pick running back Tyrone Wheatley of Michigan, and chances are they could still get him if they dropped in the draft order.

The Bengals have had talks with the Jets, who have the No. 9 pick, Minnesota, which picks No. 11, and Philadelphia at No. 12, about trading places. The Jets, Vikings and Eagles want a shot at Warren Sapp, the Miami defensive end. The talks have centered around the Bengals switching positions in the first round, picking up a second-round pick and giving away a fifth-round choice. Chances are Wheatley would still be available at either of those spots. They also like Reuben Brown, the guard from Pittsburgh.

They have also had talks with Carolina about moving up to the top spot for a chance at Ki-Jana Carter, the Penn State running back.

"We're interested in a lot of players, but I'm not going to list them A, B, C," Brown said. "We'd like to move up and take Ki-Jana Carter or Tony Boselli, but I don't think that's going to be possible."

If they keep the pick, and for some reason quarterback Steve McNair of Alcorn State slips to No. 5, will the Bengals select him?

"Yeah," Brown said. "I'm not going to say we would pass over a quarterback lightly."

Brown said he expected things to heat up today and a few deals that have been brewing all week to be consummated before the draft begins tomorrow.

"That's the way it always happens," Brown said. "Teams have been talking about the same deals all week, but teams always want to wait until the last minute, because they think they'll get a better offer." And Now, the Cyberdraft

Draft fans worldwide will be able to stay on top of the proceedings this weekend via the Internet on a site the league set up on April 10. The location on the World Wide Web is http://nflhome.com.

Fans using the Internet will be able to converse with Gil Brandt, former Cowboy scout, and several of the top players scheduled to attend the draft, according to Mary Griswold, a spokeswoman with the N.F.L. Paul Tagliabue, the league's commissioner, might even sit down at the keyboard to take a few questions.

Since the Internet site was set up on April 10, "hundreds of thousands of people" have signed on to get pre-draft information, Griswold said.

"A lot of people watch the draft on ESPN, but so many people use the Internet. This is a way to get them involved," Griswold said of why the N.F.L. decided take the draft into cyberspace.

Also, the N.F.L. moved the location of the draft from the Marriott Marquis to the Paramount in Madison Square Garden to accommodate more fans. There are 3,500 seats available at the Paramount compared with the 600 at the Marriott. Tickets will be distributed starting at 9 A.M. On the Town

Ten of the top college players are expected to attend the draft at the Paramount this year -- the most ever. That's because the N.F.L. has provided the players with a free weekend in Manhattan.

The league is picking up round-trip air fare and hotel accommodations, has arranged for a boat trip around Manhattan, theater tickets and dinner. Players can pick between two Broadway shows, "Tommy" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman."

The players expected to attend the draft this year are Warren Sapp, Luther Elliss, Ki-Jana Carter, Reuben Brown, Kerry Collins, Tony Boselli, Steve McNair, Tyrone Wheatley, Kevin Carter and Kyle Brady.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/21/sports/notebook-the-bengals-are-willing-to-trade-places.html

I just got the shivers and chicken skin thinking back to those days......

Ahh, I need a drink.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can someone post about the Ki-Jana Carter trade and the Akili Smith/Saints offer?

Here's the details on the Saints trade and what the end result was for everyone involved.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/17/5623840/nfl-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:09 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The Browns made the correct decision. Unfortunately just like all of their decisions it screwed them over. The Falcons got lucky to get a top 4 WR and still have a QB that is great, but it messed up the Falcons' depth for years following until they got incredibly lucky to get contributions from rookies to make a good enough defense

Did it mess up their depth? None of the 5 guys the Browns picked are even in the league.

If you get 2 starters out of any draft...you've had an above average draft.
Reply/Quote
In 81 some fans complained about using a second round pick on another wr after using the first round pick on wr David verse.

That 2nd round wr was Cris collinsworth
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's the details on the Saints trade and what the end result was for everyone involved.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/17/5623840/nfl-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade

I'd take Bailey and Arrington or Chris Samuels for the Bengals. Of course there was no way to know that pick would end up being the #2 pick in the draft the following year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd take Bailey and Arrington or Chris Samuels for the Bengals. Of course there was no way to know that pick would end up being the #2 pick in the draft the following year.

Agreed. It's also tough because the trade was taken by Dan Snyder who treated it like a game of Madden.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:09 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just got the shivers and chicken skin thinking back to those days......

Ahh, I need a drink.

I started feeling sick again too and then you reminded me, my  spots are suffering from liver and I need a drink as well Drunk !
Reply/Quote
Could you imagine the Bengals with Tony Boselli? They could have had Willie Anderson AND Tony Boselli.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's do a thread to liven things up a bit.

They got:

3 ) RB Owen Marecic
4 ) Brandon Weeded

(04-26-2017, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Could you imagine the Bengals with Tony Boselli? They could have had Willie Anderson AND Tony Boselli.

Or what if KiJana had never gotten hurt. He was the real deal. I loved that trade up at the time
Reply/Quote
This was great. The Bengals picked this chain-smoking TE in the 3rd Round...then their website had no info to post on him so they posted the article that said he was a chain-smoker and a gangsta.

Remember Bengals 'chain-smoking tight end' Sean Brewer?

Reading this outstanding piece by SI.com's Don Banks about Booker Reese and "the most botched NFL Draft pick ever" (definitely worth a read, look for references to Moeller High School and former Bengals QB Jack Thompson, BTW) had us thinking about questionable Bengals draft picks, including "chain-smoking tight end" Sean Brewer in the third round of the 2001 draft.

At the time, suffice it to say it was a surprising pick by the Bengals, who took a beating from media and fans when Brewer's excessive smoking habit was discovered.

In this article from 2001, Tom Groeschen wrote the following:

Sean Brewer was a bit stunned, too. Apparently, few outside the Bengals' war room thought the San Jose State tight end would be Cincinnati's third-round draft choice. Or anybody's.

"I'm kind of surprised at how soon I went in the third round," Brewer said, in a teleconference Saturday night. Third round? That Brewer was chosen at all surprised former Mariemont pharmacist Jerry Jones, who publishes The Drugstore List of prospects. Jones tabbed Brewer a likely free agent and rated him the 15th best tight end. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper was kinder, listing Brewer seventh among tight ends, but projecting him as a backup, not made of starting timber.

The Bengals disagreed, making Brewer the third tight end taken Saturday.
"He was a consensus top-three tight end," said Frank Verducci, the Bengals' tight ends coach.

More from the Groeschen article:

Brewer is regarded as an aggressive blocker and reportedly has the speed to get open quickly. But a pre-draft report by NFLmedia.com also said Brewer is "a poorly conditioned athlete" who has bad eating and training habits.

After Brewer's selection, the Bengals' media relations staff had difficulty finding background information on him. So they distributed a biography written by Dave-Te' Thomas, who writes scouting reports for the official NFL Web site.
Thomas also said Brewer "has a tough-guy attitude that has gotten him into confrontations with the coaching staff in the past." Thomas went on to write that Brewer is a "spoiled kid with a "gangsta mentality' who has to give up his pack-a-day cigarette habit. ... Does not seem to have the crisp cutting ability when running pass patterns."
On the positive side, Thomas says Brewer is an "aggressive blocker" and is "effective turning upfield after the catch. Has a good understanding for the game and is quick to digest complicated plays."
In defense of the Bengals, Brewer WAS good enough to make two starts for the Bengals in 2002, and appeared in nine games for the Falcons in 2003. And even more in the Bengals' defense, the rest of their 2001 NFL draft was outstanding, including first-rounder Justin Smith (DE, Missouri), second-rounder Chad Johnson (WR, Oregon State), fourth-rounder Rudi Johnson (HB, Auburn) and seventh-rounder T.J. Houshmandzadeh (WR, Oregon State).

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: NOTEBOOK; The Bengals Are Willing to Trade Places

By TIMOTHY W. SMITH  

The guy he fired.....Sam Wyche.....went on to draft Sapp.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Remember Bengals 'chain-smoking tight end' Sean Brewer?

Reading this outstanding piece by SI.com's Don Banks about Booker Reese and "the most botched NFL Draft pick ever" (definitely worth a read, look for references to Moeller High School and former Bengals QB Jack Thompson, BTW) had us thinking about questionable Bengals draft picks, including "chain-smoking tight end" Sean Brewer in the third round of the 2001 draft.

At the time, suffice it to say it was a surprising pick by the Bengals, who took a beating from media and fans when Brewer's excessive smoking habit was discovered.

In this article from 2001, Tom Groeschen wrote the following:

Sean Brewer was a bit stunned, too. Apparently, few outside the Bengals' war room thought the San Jose State tight end would be Cincinnati's third-round draft choice. Or anybody's.
"I'm kind of surprised at how soon I went in the third round," Brewer said, in a teleconference Saturday night.
Third round? That Brewer was chosen at all surprised former Mariemont pharmacist Jerry Jones, who publishes The Drugstore List of prospects. Jones tabbed Brewer a likely free agent and rated him the 15th best tight end. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper was kinder, listing Brewer seventh among tight ends, but projecting him as a backup, not made of starting timber.
The Bengals disagreed, making Brewer the third tight end taken Saturday.
"He was a consensus top-three tight end," said Frank Verducci, the Bengals' tight ends coach.
More from the Groeschen article:

Brewer is regarded as an aggressive blocker and reportedly has the speed to get open quickly. But a pre-draft report by NFLmedia.com also said Brewer is "a poorly conditioned athlete" who has bad eating and training habits.

After Brewer's selection, the Bengals' media relations staff had difficulty finding background information on him. So they distributed a biography written by Dave-Te' Thomas, who writes scouting reports for the official NFL Web site.
Thomas also said Brewer "has a tough-guy attitude that has gotten him into confrontations with the coaching staff in the past."
Thomas went on to write that Brewer is a "spoiled kid with a "gangsta mentality' who has to give up his pack-a-day cigarette habit. ... Does not seem to have the crisp cutting ability when running pass patterns."
On the positive side, Thomas says Brewer is an "aggressive blocker" and is "effective turning upfield after the catch. Has a good understanding for the game and is quick to digest complicated plays."
In defense of the Bengals, Brewer WAS good enough to make two starts for the Bengals in 2002, and appeared in nine games for the Falcons in 2003. And even more in the Bengals' defense, the rest of their 2001 NFL draft was outstanding, including first-rounder Justin Smith (DE, Missouri), second-rounder Chad Johnson (WR, Oregon State), fourth-rounder Rudi Johnson (HB, Auburn) and seventh-rounder T.J. Houshmandzadeh (WR, Oregon State).

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/

Could you imagine this happening today? NFL scouts and teams act like the government and dig up almost anything on you.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did it mess up their depth? None of the 5 guys the Browns picked are even in the league.

If you get 2 starters out of any draft...you've had an above average draft.

The Falcons clearly would not have drafted the same players the Browns did. It worked out for the Falcons and not ffor the Browns, but hindsight is 20/20. It was a HUGE risk for the Falcons and the Browns with a depleted roster did a great job acquiring as much as they could for the picks. Just because it didn't work out doesn't make it a bad decision. That is on talent evaluators and luck.
Reply/Quote