Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Dumped 40 Million in Payroll Over Free Agency
(06-01-2023, 11:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I didn't mean to get to hyperbolic, but compared to years past, she's done a great job. It goes beyond the field of play too though. The RoH, all of the improved fan engagement (which is a lot due to her daughter of course), the stadium naming rights, the practice bubble, and overall change in organizational philosophy. That, with improved play on the field, warrants some praise in my book anyway. She's also been acclaimed league wide for the way she manages the cap. The philosophy seems to be to keep what's really good on offense within reason, and improving the line. Seems like they are planning on drafting well defensively and staying young/cheap on that side of the ball. Will it work? That remains to be seen, obviously.

Is Katie Blackburn the one responsible for those non-contract things?
I thought her daughter Elizabeth was at least over some of that.

With that said, I agree that there have been improvements made in those areas you are talking about.
It's specifically the contract structures with players expecting a lot more guarantees that are starting to worry me.
It may be much ado about nothing though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 11:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Is Katie Blackburn the one responsible for those non-contract things?
I thought her daughter Elizabeth was at least over some of that.

With that said, I agree that there have been improvements made in those areas you are talking about.
It's specifically the contract structures with players expecting a lot more guarantees that are starting to worry me.
It may be much ado about nothing though.

Yes, Elizabeth has led the charge on fan engagement, and it may have been her idea for the RoH, I can't remember (and why I gave her credit in my response to you). Without knowing the closely guarded details regarding Bengals hierarchy, I just have to assume she has played a big role in all of the recent changes because we do know she has pretty much been handed the reins. I'll be honest and admit I was very skeptical about her. I was worried she'd be Mikey 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

If Mike was still calling every shot, I'm not sure the team gets a practice bubble, facilities renovation for players, the naming rights deal, the RoH, hell.... maybe not even Zac Taylor. Things have definitely changed for the better since she has taken on more and more responsibility for the club's operations.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, Elizabeth has led the charge on fan engagement, and it may have been her idea for the RoH, I can't remember (and why I gave her credit in my response to you). Without knowing the closely guarded details regarding Bengals hierarchy, I just have to assume she has played a big role in all of the recent changes because we do know she has pretty much been handed the reins. I'll be honest and admit I was very skeptical about her. I was worried she'd be Mikey 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

If Mike was still calling every shot, I'm not sure the team gets a practice bubble, facilities renovation for players, the naming rights deal, the RoH, hell.... maybe not even Zac Taylor. Things have definitely changed for the better since she has taken on more and more responsibility for the club's operations.

Katie is, without question, the boss of the organization.  No doubt Elizabeth has made the fan experience incredible.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, Elizabeth has led the charge on fan engagement, and it may have been her idea for the RoH, I can't remember (and why I gave her credit in my response to you). Without knowing the closely guarded details regarding Bengals hierarchy, I just have to assume she has played a big role in all of the recent changes because we do know she has pretty much been handed the reins. I'll be honest and admit I was very skeptical about her. I was worried she'd be Mikey 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Night and day from how things were handled years back with MB in charge no question.

Katie is a wizard in handling contracts and Elizabeth has made our social media probably the best in the NFL.

(06-01-2023, 03:45 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Katie is, without question, the boss of the organization.  No doubt Elizabeth has made the fan experience incredible.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Night and day from how things were handled years back with MB in charge no question.

Katie is a wizard in handling contracts and Elizabeth has made our social media probably the best in the NFL.

ThumbsUp

Other than the terrible schedule announcement lol.
It was not good at all.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than the terrible schedule announcement lol.
It was not good at all.

That was a low point I guess lol 

Still love how she handled the white outs and all that last year, thought this was masterfully done.

Love those helmets with the white uni's. Just tops. I guess we could think of some of it that wasn't the best but overall Elizabeth 
has done a great job. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than the terrible schedule announcement lol.
It was not good at all.

It was only terrible compared to about 25 other teams.  We were one of a handful that gave absolutely zero effort or we just suck creatively....

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That was a low point I guess lol 

Still love how she handled the white outs and all that last year, thought this was masterfully done.

Love those helmets with the white uni's. Just tops. I guess we could think of some of it that wasn't the best but overall Elizabeth 
has done a great job. 

I'm still waiting for more players to be added on the online shop for the Color Rush uniforms, or even more preferable fully customized number and name.
I kinda want a McPherson one.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 12:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm still waiting for more players to be added on the online shop for the Color Rush uniforms, or even more preferable fully customized number and name.
I kinda want a McPherson one.

Is Logan Wilson on there? Still looking to get one of his in the White Color Rush...
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Is Logan Wilson on there? Still looking to get one of his in the White Color Rush...

There was at one point, but online shop only has Mixon, Bates (lol), and Chase left.
You could probably find a knock-off though for about any player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well, the OP is slanting things a bit. Money in should really be compared with what we were paying the guys that left. But regardless, we are surely saving money for the big payouts coming for guys on rookie deals (Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Chase).

Out (per year):
Bates: $12.9
Bell: $7.5
Apple: $3.75
Hurst: $3.5
Perine: $1.85
Flowers: $1.8
----------
$31.3 million

Scharping went from $2.54 to $1.28. That's another $1.26 mil. So lets rounf & say $32.5 total savings

In (yearly):
Brown: $10.4
Scott $2.4
Smith: $1.75
-------------
$14.55. Rounded to $14.5. So that yields $18 mil diff.

But a lot of guys got raises. Biggest jumps:
Burrow: $9.9 to $11.5 = $2.6
Jonah: $5.6 to $12.6 = $7
Pratt: $2.8 to $5.4 = $2.6
-----------
$12.4

Now you are down to under $5 mil, and that is not taking into account other raises, team wide. Or figuring in the extensions that are coming (around $15 mil). When all is said & done, we'll be closer to the cap this year than last, meaning we increased spending by more than the cap went up. But not by a lot.

Great job by Katie & the FO..We landed a LT upgrade in FA. We need some 2nd years (Hill, Volson, Carter, Ossai) and new guys (Scott, Smith) to deliver. Rooks, too. But we also get Chido, Boyd, Cappa, Collins, & Jonah back from the team that ALMOST beat the Chiefs last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 02:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, the OP is slanting things a bit. Money in should really be compared with what we were paying the guys that left. But regardless, we are surely saving money for the big payouts coming for guys on rookie deals (Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Chase).

Out (per year):
Bates: $12.9
Bell: $7.5
Apple: $3.75
Hurst: $3.5  
Perine: $1.85
Flowers: $1.8
----------
$31.3 million

Scharping went from $2.54 to $1.28. That's another $1.26 mil. So lets rounf & say $32.5 total savings  

In (yearly):
Brown: $10.4  
Scott $2.4
Smith: $1.75
-------------
$14.55. Rounded to $14.5. So that yields $18 mil diff.

But a lot of guys got raises. Biggest jumps:
Burrow: $9.9 to  $11.5  = $2.6
Jonah: $5.6 to $12.6 = $7
Pratt: $2.8 to $5.4 = $2.6
-----------
$12.4

Now you are down to under $5 mil, and that is not taking into account other raises, team wide. Or figuring in the extensions that are coming (around $15 mil). When all is said & done, we'll be closer to the cap this year than last, meaning we increased spending by more than the cap went up. But not by a lot.

Great job by Katie & the FO..We landed a LT upgrade in FA. We need some 2nd years (Hill, Volson, Carter, Ossai) and new guys (Scott, Smith) to deliver. Rooks, too. But we also get Chido, Boyd, Cappa, Collins, & Jonah back from the team that ALMOST beat the Chiefs last year.

I don't think I ever realized that Irv Smith's contract was only $1.75 mill, and I see Sample's at just $1.1 mill. Asiasi also at $1.1 mill.
The top 3 projected TEs are all in contract year, but combined making just about $4 mill total.
If at least one of them can step up to produce decently well, this group is a heck of a steal cost-wise.
On paper though, it's about the worst among all teams for TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 02:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think there’s several more like Jerry Jones, Irsay, and probably others. But the distinction is the Browns never had other income previously. I remember having a long discussion with Herschel Walker before he was traded by the Cowboys. Early on most were skeptical of Jimmy Johnson who had no NFL experience or most of his staff and Jones either in running a team. He certainly had no loyalty to the new regime but his comment resonated with me. He said Jerry Jones is damn smart and he invested all his oil fortune into the Cowboys. It’s his livelihood. He’ll be successful.

I’m new to Texas and attended two Cowboy games in 2022. They run a great experience at ATT stadium in Irving. They have a deep fan base and they come out on game day, especially those that sit outside the stadium to watch the game. I had comped tickets each time and had a great time.
Reply/Quote
Been saying it for a few years now

Katie for President !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 02:21 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I’m new to Texas and attended two Cowboy games in 2022. They run a great experience at ATT stadium in Irving. They have a deep fan base and they come out on game day, especially those that sit outside the stadium to watch the game. I had comped tickets each time and had a great time.

Isn't it the most expensive stadium of all time?

I figured that would be one hell of an experience watching a game there...

Just watching a Cowboys game in TV, you can see the money dumped into that place. But still, for the life of me, I don't understand 
being a Cowboys fan lol
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't it the most expensive stadium of all time?

Just watching a Cowboys game in TV, you can see the money dumped into that place. But still, for the life of me, I don't understand 
being a Cowboys fan lol

It’s a great venue but I hated the acoustics
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't it the most expensive stadium of all time?

being a Cowboys fan lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_stadiums

If we're talking worldwide and all sports, it looks like it's 7th. Looks like it never held the title of most expensive stadium. Wembley was ahead of it in cost and was opened first. It held the NFL title for most expensive for just 1 year before losing it to New York (Jersey).

Now the Rams have it by such an enormous margin that there had to be some absurd levels of corruption involved or something. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I was on the field (before the game per NFL rules) at MetLife for the Bengals/Jets game. It’s not nearly as impressive as Jerry World. However depending on the weather I’d much rather watch a game there. But Jerry World is a venue and Metlife a stadium. Metlife was tons easier before and after the game. Much better tailgating. My son went to the Bengals/Rams SB and SoFi must be something else.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't it the most expensive stadium of all time?

being a Cowboys fan lol

Stadium cost I don’t know. Food is excellent. Fans are passionate but civil and friendly. The technology enhances the game if you’re in the upper decks as I was. You miss nothing up there. The worst part was paying $100 for a parking spot 1/2 mile away. In CA I attended a few Raider games and it wasn’t so great. Asshole fans, drunk and belligerent. None of that with the Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2023, 03:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s a great venue but I hated the acoustics

Ahhh, good to know.

(06-04-2023, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_stadiums

If we're talking worldwide and all sports, it looks like it's 7th. Looks like it never held the title of most expensive stadium. Wembley was ahead of it in cost and was opened first. It held the NFL title for most expensive for just 1 year before losing it to New York (Jersey).

Now the Rams have it by such an enormous margin that there had to be some absurd levels of corruption involved or something. Lol

Thanks TLL, with that big screen and all the technology put into that stadium I thought it would be up there.

We all know there is a lot of funky stuff going on in LA and NY, guess it all makes sense.

(06-05-2023, 12:01 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Stadium cost I don’t know. Food is excellent. Fans are passionate but civil and friendly. The technology enhances the game if you’re in the upper decks as I was. You miss nothing up there.  The worst part was paying $100 for a parking spot 1/2 mile away. In CA I attended a few Raider games and it wasn’t so great. Asshole fans, drunk and belligerent.  None of that with the Cowboys.

Yeah, them Raida fans lol
Reply/Quote