Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Early Mock Draft Concensus
(02-02-2018, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't pay much attention to Hobspin. I don't believe he has any more inside information than any other Bengals Reporters. Also Hobspin said that before they even had a new offensive line coach in place to evaluate the talent in the upcoming draft. 

Marvin has recently come out and said Ced has had 2 years and he has held the team back. I think that's Marvin's way of saying it's time to move on so if there is a tackle they like at 12 I would guess they jump on him in a heartbeat.

Perhaps you are right. I think many (or maybe just me) assume Hobson has more inside info because he writes on Bengals.com.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps you are right. I think many (or maybe just me) assume Hobson has more inside info because he writes on Bengals.com.

Lapham on the other hand about two weeks before the draft tells you exactly who the Bengals are targeting...I've always wondered if other teams notice that too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 02:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Lapham on the other hand about two weeks before the draft tells you exactly who the Bengals are targeting...I've always wondered if other teams notice that too.

Yep. I've definitely noticed that Lap seems to have inside info. Or he's just a really damn good guesser.
If the former, I think it indicates that the Bengals were really high on John Ross, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, etc.
To the extent that while fans and/or the experts may say someone like Ross wasn't pure BPA, he very well may have been when it comes to Bengals coaches and FO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 11:29 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Sounds like Okorafor is "Ced.2." I'm sure Paul Alexander would have wanted to take him in the first round:

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/WesternMichigan_logo.gif

[Image: WesternMichigan_logo.gif] Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
Height: 6-6. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.19.
Projected Round (2018): 4-6.

1/22/18: There were some reports in the media about Okorafor as an early-round tackle prospect. After speaking with some team sources, they weren't enthusiastic about Okorafor. Some sources felt that while Okorafor has some athletic ability, he is a very soft offensive lineman, and they think he is going to get pushed around in the NFL. Those team sources were grading Okorafor on the third day of the 2018 NFL Draft and were against their teams selecting him.

Have also heard Connor Williams as a Ced 2.0 even if i don't necessarily believe it...

Coming off of injury, extremely athletic but a bit soft at times. Heavy feet though.

(02-02-2018, 12:47 PM)depthchart Wrote: If I had to take a guess as to what the Bengals will do (assuming Hobson is correct that they won't take O-line with pick #12) my guess would be that they will take Linebacker Roquan Smith.

Just a very early guess based on who may still be there at pick #12 but we could use a high energy tackler with speed that appears to be good in pass coverage as well.

Roquan may not be quite as fast as Ryan Shazier of the Steelers (4.38 forty) but Roquan should run well at the combine.

I would take Roquan at 12 if both Quentin and McGlinchey are gone, might be BPA for us honestly.

Roquan actually does remind me of Shazier but i think Roquan takes better angles than Shazier did in college.

(02-02-2018, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've always preferred a BPA-need mix.
I think it's safe to say the two biggest areas of need are OT, LB, and C.
Therefore, if it were me, the pick would be BPA for one of those three positions.

Same here agree completely. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would be shocked if they go Safety in the 1st. Hopefully it’ll be an OT or LB. Biggest needs by far.
James isn't your average safety.  He can play in the box like a backer, rush the passer, play centerfield, or cover backs and tight ends.

Backer isn't as big of a need just because of how much of a passing league it has become, and it's not a three-backer defense as much.  Plus, like I said, James offers you pretty much what a backer would, plus more.

Here's a page with some of his interceptions

Hopefully Pollack is a good enough coach that we won't need another first-round pick on a tackle.

(02-02-2018, 11:29 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Sounds like Okorafor is "Ced.2." I'm sure Paul Alexander would have wanted to take him in the first round:

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/WesternMichigan_logo.gif

[Image: WesternMichigan_logo.gif] Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
Height: 6-6. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.19.
Projected Round (2018): 4-6.

1/22/18: There were some reports in the media about Okorafor as an early-round tackle prospect. After speaking with some team sources, they weren't enthusiastic about Okorafor. Some sources felt that while Okorafor has some athletic ability, he is a very soft offensive lineman, and they think he is going to get pushed around in the NFL. Those team sources were grading Okorafor on the third day of the 2018 NFL Draft and were against their teams selecting him.
That scares me because that seems like the kind of discount guy that Mike Brown loves because he'd slip, so Mike wouldn't have to spend a high draft pick on him, but he had still enough pre-draft hype that people who don't know any better would still be excited about him.  It's trying to get a player at a discount like they're still a star when there's a reason that they fell so far, just like Andre Smith.
(02-02-2018, 11:53 AM)samhain Wrote: Yep.  They may like some of the safeties, but they have two starters under contract and glaring needs elsewhere.  I don't envision them upsetting the Williams/Iloka apple cart.  I know it's the Bengals and all, but I don't see how James doesn't take one of their jobs if he's on the roster.  Not the Bengal way.
James is a game changer and can do so much more than those two that I think Marvin would love to grab him, especially since it seems like Marvin is calling the shots now.
(02-02-2018, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't pay much attention to Hobspin. I don't believe he has any more inside information than any other Bengals Reporters. Also Hobspin said that before they even had a new offensive line coach in place to evaluate the talent in the upcoming draft. 

Marvin has recently come out and said Ced has had 2 years and he has held the team back. I think that's Marvin's way of saying it's time to move on so if there is a tackle they like at 12 I would guess they jump on him in a heartbeat.

Maybe but I think we've been burned too much on tackles and Marvin knows that Pollack is good enough that we don't need first round talent to get the job done.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:47 PM)depthchart Wrote: If I had to take a guess as to what the Bengals will do (assuming Hobson is correct that they won't take O-line with pick #12) my guess would be that they will take Linebacker Roquan Smith.

Just a very early guess based on who may still be there at pick #12 but we could use a high energy tackler with speed that appears to be good in pass coverage as well.

Roquan may not be quite as fast as Ryan Shazier of the Steelers (4.38 forty) but Roquan should run well at the combine.

Nah. Even for a will he cant take on blockers. They're looked for a multi position lber and that's Edmunds, if he's there. With comps to Brian urlacher we better hope he's there.
Reply/Quote
So one position that ppl would hate but I personally wouldn't in the first is cb. We need it. Either Josh Jackson or Denzel Ward(who runs a 4.23 btw). Outside of that I don't like any 12th pick tackles. They're gonna go high impact player at 12 for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:33 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Following is an early mock draft concensus:

Source (as of 2/1)

Projected Bengals Draft Selection at 12th Overall

NFL.com: Lance Zierlein  OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

NFL.com: Daniel Jeremiah OT – Connor Williams, Texas

NFL.com:  Bucky Brooks OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

CBSSports.com: Chris Trapasso OT – Connor Williams, Texas

SBNation.com: Dan Kadar OT – Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

SportingNews.com: Eric Galko OT – Brian O’Neill, Pittsburgh

WalterFootball.com S - Derwin James, Florida State

BleacherReport.com: Ryan McCrystal S - Derwin James, Florida State

DraftTek.com OT – Brian O’Neill, Pittsburgh

RotoWorld.com: Josh Norris OT – Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan

CBSSports.com: R.J. White OT – Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

ESPN.com: Mel Kiper, Jr. LB – Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

Not to take a dump on your thread, as I like all things NFL Draft, but these are non-Bengal experts that only know that our offensive line sucks, and that we are thin at LB especially when our best LB is unreliable. 

As a Bengal expert, I can tell you that I really doubt they will go for a guy like Orlando Brown in the first round.  He is clearly a RT and not a LT, and although a position of need, I only see the Bengals taking him if they traded WAY down, and not likely in Rd 1.

I think the copycat league nature will be in full-effect come the draft and although the Bengals have huge needs at the tackle positions, they will STILL have Ced and Fisher for one more year minimum.  If they didn't admit defeat and upgrade them last year, I doubt they will this year as they actually did show signs of improvement.  Granted, not enough to be NFL starters, but with the new offensive line scheme, could be much improved.  The Bengals also have some versatility with Boling actually showing very well against the Rats in week 17 and the opportunity (finally!) given to Redmond and Westerman might also shake up the line.  

The Bengals (IMHO) will go defense early, and it could be as surprising to some as the selection of Ross a year ago.  I nailed that one (I don't care if his rookie season was torpedoed by Marv, I was still right about his selection, as I was Willis and Lawson).  I think the Bengals will be looking hard at the S from FSU, Derwin, the LB from Va Tech, Edmunds, and the DT from Washington, Vea.

The fact that Marv got an extension tells me he negotiated for more control over the selection and he probably used the success of the Eagles and Jax as evidence to his desires:  more talent on defense.  Even though the Bengals were horrible most of the season on offense, that probably fell on the lap of Zampese and Fat Ass.

Marvin reportedly REALLY wanted Reuben Foster last year, and didn't want Ross.  We saw how that worked out.  I am not admitting in any way he was right and I was wrong, because it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you continually shit publicly on a kid and don't give him the opportunities, but Mike Brown doesn't want another year of that and he sure as hell doesn't want his #1 pick posting "healthy scratch" videos on twitter.

Marv will get his player, and if I had to guess, he will get the LB.  I think safety might be a bigger impact if Derwin is what everyone thinks he is, but our safeties play a very conservative game to prevent big plays.  It might be a bit of a waste unless our new DC has other plans for our scheme and I am yet to see a coach come in with more aggression before Marv puts the conservative brakes on it.  

I would wager on Edmunds from Va Tech or another very highly rated LB.  The potential to trade back and get a different position (like the aforementioned RT or GULP!  a QB that falls) but I would venture that it won't happen, either.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 04:49 AM)Jpoore Wrote: So one position that ppl would hate but I personally wouldn't in the first is cb. We need it. Either Josh Jackson or Denzel Ward(who runs a 4.23 btw). Outside of that I don't like any 12th pick tackles. They're gonna go high impact player at 12 for sure.

Very logical if they didn't already have Dennard, WJIII, and Dre.

They will aim to sign them before drafting another first round CB.  As I understand it, they are also very high on the CB from Notre Dame that they got when released from the Cheifs:  KeiVarre Russell.
Reply/Quote
i'd prefer the QB out of Louisville Lamar Jackson....
he's a taller right handed version of Michael Vick.....runs like the wind w/ a cannon arm...& trade Dalton...

or stick w/ A.D. & pick McGlinchey....
Ced can't play LT anymore....period...
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very logical if they didn't already have Dennard, WJIII, and Dre.

They will aim to sign them before drafting another first round CB.  As I understand it, they are also very high on the CB from Notre Dame that they got when released from the Cheifs:  KeiVarre Russell.

The only way I'd be okay with dennard and Dre k is if they flip positions. Dennard excels on the outside, and Dre k pulls on jerseys to much. On the inside it's much shorter routes and he would be a stud there. But I doubt they resign dennard in all honesty. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 09:38 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The only way I'd be okay with dennard and Dre k is if they flip positions. Dennard excels on the outside, and Dre k pulls on jerseys to much. On the inside it's much shorter routes and he would be a stud there. But I doubt they resign dennard in all honesty. 

I think Dennard could play either but Dre can't play the slot corner.  In fact, I think the aforementioned Russell is better at slot than Dre.  I have no idea what happened to Josh Shaw this past year, but he went from promising to sucked seemingly overnight. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 09:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Dennard could play either but Dre can't play the slot corner.  In fact, I think the aforementioned Russell is better at slot than Dre.  I have no idea what happened to Josh Shaw this past year, but he went from promising to sucked seemingly overnight. 

Dennard sucks in the slot bc his hops are too stiff. I think Dre k would Excel in the slot. I loved the Russell pick up. We need to get rid of the Dre k contract. But while he's here he's gonna start and the best place for him to succeed is the slot bc it damn sure ain't the boundary. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 09:44 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Dennard sucks in the slot bc his hops are too stiff. I think Dre k would Excel in the slot. I loved the Russell pick up. We need to get rid of the Dre k contract. But while he's here he's gonna start and the best place for him to succeed is the slot bc it damn sure ain't the boundary. 

I disagree about Dennard.  He played extremely well last year and in both places.  Dre is horribly inconsistent but has at least shown flashes on the outside.  He is way too long a strider to be the slot corner.  One thing I like about Dre is he seems to play his best against the best competition.  It is as though he has lapses in concentration on anything but the biggest stage, which is contrary to most of the team. 

One thing we can agree on is that WJIII is a star and was the perfect selection a couple years ago.  
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree about Dennard.  He played extremely well last year and in both places.  Dre is horribly inconsistent but has at least shown flashes on the outside.  He is way too long a strider to be the slot corner.  One thing I like about Dre is he seems to play his best against the best competition.  It is as though he has lapses in concentration on anything but the biggest stage, which is contrary to most of the team. 

One thing we can agree on is that WJIII is a star and was the perfect selection a couple years ago.  
Wjiii is a star. But I wanted Micheal Thomas there. Just think. We could have had Micheal Thomas with that selection and then lattimore this past year. Oh well hindsight 20/20. Dennard over his career has been much better on the outside than the slot. The think about Dre k is the holding penalties. He grabs too much.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2018, 03:23 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: James isn't your average safety.  He can play in the box like a backer, rush the passer, play centerfield, or cover backs and tight ends.

Backer isn't as big of a need just because of how much of a passing league it has become, and it's not a three-backer defense as much.  Plus, like I said, James offers you pretty much what a backer would, plus more.

Here's a page with some of his interceptions

Hopefully Pollack is a good enough coach that we won't need another first-round pick on a tackle.

That scares me because that seems like the kind of discount guy that Mike Brown loves because he'd slip, so Mike wouldn't have to spend a high draft pick on him, but he had still enough pre-draft hype that people who don't know any better would still be excited about him.  It's trying to get a player at a discount like they're still a star when there's a reason that they fell so far, just like Andre Smith.
James is a game changer and can do so much more than those two that I think Marvin would love to grab him, especially since it seems like Marvin is calling the shots now.

Maybe but I think we've been burned too much on tackles and Marvin knows that Pollack is good enough that we don't need first round talent to get the job done.

Good stuff, Brad! Just wanted to add a little something positive or hope to your Pollack comment. Obviously, we all know that Ced & Jake have been disappointing; that said, perhaps Pollack can get something out of them? As you mentioned, that would be a blessing.

Completely agree about DJ.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 06:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Good stuff, Brad! Just wanted to add a little something positive or hope to your Pollack comment. Obviously, we all know that Ced & Jake have been disappointing; that said, perhaps Pollack can get something out of them? As you mentioned, that would be a blessing.

Completely agree about DJ.

It would definitely be a blessing but Pollack needs to be working with them a lot pre-draft to determine if he thinks that he CAN get something out of them and turn them around because we don't want to go into the season with the position as an uncertainty and risk putting the entire season at risk.

If he can get a little something out of them but it's still not a high level, then I hope we still at least draft guys high (or relatively high) to create competition.  I don't want any player on the team thinking that they're a lock to start, especially on the offensive line (obvious exceptions to guys like AJ, Geno, Burfict, etc).
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It would definitely be a blessing but Pollack needs to be working with them a lot pre-draft to determine if he thinks that he CAN get something out of them and turn them around because we don't want to go into the season with the position as an uncertainty and risk putting the entire season at risk.

If he can get a little something out of them but it's still not a high level, then I hope we still at least draft guys high (or relatively high) to create competition.  I don't want any player on the team thinking that they're a lock to start, especially on the offensive line (obvious exceptions to guys like AJ, Geno, Burfict, etc).

Personally, would like to see a couple of proven,solid vet olineman signed. High character guys with nasty dispositions,as far as blocking goes. There are some really interesting olineman in this draft: 
O'Neill, Hernandez, Cole, Wynn, Tooth, Cappa, & Bozeman to name a few. Add a couple of these guys, hopefully line is improved now.

I also really like some of the latter round LB's: De Luca, Jewell, Owosu, Williams, O'Daniel, Kiser, & Burks to name a few.

If the powers that be actually really do their homework & a great job of scouting for this draft, this team can be greatly improved. Several diamonds in the rough in this class.

All that said, I take DJ without batting an eye at #12.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:41 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Wjiii is a star. But I wanted Micheal Thomas there. Just think. We could have had Micheal Thomas with that selection and then lattimore this past year. Oh well hindsight 20/20. Dennard over his career has been much better on the outside than the slot. The think about Dre k is the holding penalties. He grabs too much.

I too have thought about Thomas + Lattimore. But here’s the scary thing about that...it likely would have resulted in WJ3 being a Steeler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I too have thought about Thomas + Lattimore. But here’s the scary thing about that...it likely would have resulted in WJ3 being a Steeler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. That would nit be good at all. But aj green and Micheal Thomas. Sorry got to stop day dreaming. 
Reply/Quote