Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Get To Look At Blockers In Combine Today On Friday
(03-04-2022, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have an entire coaching staff who I assume have some interest in who we draft.

And I assume our scouts have been working all through the college season and since it has ended.  That gives them thousands of hours to look at all the prospects.  You don't have to wait until the season is over to start scouting.

Coaches wouldn't really have had time to look at prospects until after the season though, right?
So at best, they'd only have about a week or two.

I know that the scouts don't have to wait until the end of the season, nor would I expect them to.
I just don't know enough of whether they would get tape as soon as a game is done or if they have to wait weeks before being able to get it.

I do know that players can't notify about attending the Combine until at least Jan 4, but some wait until later to give that decision.
So it can be hard to finalize who all will attend right away.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Coaches wouldn't really have had time to look at prospects until after the season though, right?
So at best, they'd only have about a week or two.

I know that the scouts don't have to wait until the end of the season, nor would I expect them to.
I just don't know enough of whether they would get tape as soon as a game is done or if they have to wait weeks before being able to get it.

I do know that players can't notify about attending the Combine until at least Jan 4, but some wait until later to give that decision.
So it can be hard to finalize who all will attend right away.

According to Zac's recent interviews, you're correct. He said he and the coaches are just now in the catching up phase where Duke and his staff are educating them about prospects.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Personally, I hope we don't have to take any of the blockers. The line needs to be fixed in FA.

This ... Drafting for need lands you with a bad roster. BPA all day.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Thread #7 on the front page about the offensive line. 

Anyone ready for a single, sticky "Offensive Line" thread yet?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They get to take a look at blockers today?  If they don't know who they like by now, they never will..

Look man...don't be crappin' on the 443rd thread about the offensive line and BLOCKERS, on the front page alone. Let Kev do his thing!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Look man...don't be crappin' on the 443rd thread about the offensive line and BLOCKERS, on the front page alone. Let Kev do his thing!

It's going to even get more crazy when free agency passes and our OL signings aren't up to fan expectations. We'll then get 5 to 8 threads highlighting how we blew it.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:12 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's going to even more crazy when free agency passes and our OL signings aren't up to fan expectations. We'll then get 5 to 8 threads highlighting how we blew it.

[Image: ryan-reynolds-great.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They get to take a look at blockers today?  If they don't know who they like by now, they never will..

This just isn't true. The combine always makes folks "go back and look at the tape". There's no way a department can watch every snap of every player. But if you see a kid under your radar and you like the way he moves, his size, his interview...then you can go back and study him more closely, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
ESPN and most Mocks have Bengals taking Bernhard Raimann, the Blocker out of Central Michigan. That is if Steelers don't take him first. Steelers and other teams are moving in on him. I saw him run in the Combine today. My brother called, so I didn't get to see as much. They didn't show the weight lifting part. Bengals use to rave about what a Blocker bench pressed in work outs before the draft. I can see that, good foot work, explosive off the snap, and very strong. Now just because ESPN and others say Bengals will take Raimann with their 1st pick, does not make it so. Still, he looked like an upgrade to Bengals O Line, from what little they showed of him....When younger he was a Tight End. That could be a plus. Big enough to be listed as a Blocking O Lineman, but able to line up as a road grading Tight End and catch a few passes when needed. The Steelers are now very interested in him, but I would think with Big Ben gone they would be in dire need of a new young QB.

That is as much of Combine as I will watch. I saw what little they showed of THE BLOCKERS, which Bengals need.

The Next KEY DATE is around March 15th. Bengals run out of time on using the Franchise Tag, and Free Agency Starts. The Combine is important, even if some on here don't think so. All these NFL teams are at the Combine every year for a reason. They don't show up because they love going to Indy.

Oh Yes, NFL Network said not many top RB's, but O Line Blocking is DEEP in this years Draft. That is good news for a Bengals team looking high and low to protect their young star quarterback who they have already got his knee injured since a Bengal. I would say a combo of Free Agents AND draft picks needed brought in to Protect Joe Burrow. The good news is that THIS is a good year for Blockers, per NFL Network. The Bengals should be able to get a good one, even at pick 31.

My Prediction. Bengals had to take Chase. Bengals make up for not taking Sewell by going O Line in Round 1 the very next year in 2022. The name being mentioned is Bernhard Raimann out of Austria and Central Michigan. So Bengals had to take Chase over Sewell, but NOW they take a Blocker to make up for it. Burrow the most sacked QB in the NFL needs PASS PROTECTION.

To those who say Bengals have Prince, Burrow might as well have the 1980's singer Prince blocking for him. Every year Fans on here always rave about some guy that couldn't block your grandmother, and claim we don't need to draft O Line. I know it is more exciting to draft other positions. Nobody gets excited over drafting Blockers. Still, Joe Burrow needs some Pass Protection, he is getting hit more than any other QB in the NFL. How important is keeping Joe Burrow healthy ? I say it is the most important thing Bengals need to do to Win. With just a little more Blocking, Burrow could have got Shooter McPherson in range to kick Super Bowl tying Field Goal, but the Blocking Was NOT there. Bengals were lucky Burrow got up off the ground as often as he did, the Doctor did a good operation and knee brace. Maybe that doctor should be Bengals MVP, he did more to protect Burrow than the O Line did.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I get that we need to be looking at draft prospects, but I can't help but think and be worried that our FO is seeing the draft as the answer to our o-line probs once again...

We can look all day at unproven prospects on the OL, but if we don't walk out of free agency with at least 2 new (PROVEN) starting o-linemen, then they can f*** off. Let's say we draft 3 starting OL, sign no free agent OL, and they all end up being HoF players. Of course we all forget the approach we took because it worked out, but it doesn't make our method(s) any less irresponsible and/or disturbing. In fact, it's disrespectful to the future of our franchise in Joey B.

The approach we need to take, is going into Free Agency hellbent on the OL issues. OUR OL NEEDS TO BE FIXED BEFORE THE DRAFT. THIS IS WHAT CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS DO! DRAFT BPA AT THIS LEVEL, NOT FOR NEED!
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 07:04 AM)kevin Wrote: ESPN and most Mocks have Bengals taking Bernhard Raimann, the Blocker out of Central Michigan.  That is if Steelers don't take him first.  Steelers and other teams are moving in on him.  I saw him run in the Combine today.  My brother called, so I didn't get to see as much.  They didn't show the weight lifting part.  Bengals use to rave about what a Blocker bench pressed in work outs before the draft.  I can see that, good foot work, explosive off the snap, and very strong.   Now just because ESPN and others say Bengals will take Raimann with their 1st pick, does not make it so.  Still, he looked like an upgrade to Bengals O Line, from what little they showed of him....When younger he was a Tight End.  That could be a plus.   Big enough to be listed as a Blocking O Lineman, but able to line up as a road grading Tight End and catch a few passes when needed.  The Steelers are now very interested in him, but I would think with Big Ben gone they would be in dire need of a new young QB.

That is as much of Combine as I will watch.  I saw what little they showed of THE BLOCKERS, which Bengals need.

The Next KEY DATE is around March 15th.  Bengals run out of time on using the Franchise Tag, and Free Agency Starts. The Combine is important, even if some on here don't think so. All these NFL teams are at the Combine every year for a reason. They don't show up because they love going to Indy.

Oh Yes, NFL Network said not many top RB's, but O Line Blocking is DEEP in this years Draft.  That is good news for a Bengals team looking high and low to protect their young star quarterback who they have already got his knee injured since a Bengal.  I would say a combo of Free Agents AND draft picks needed brought in to Protect Joe Burrow.  The good news is that THIS is a good year for Blockers, per NFL Network.  The Bengals should be able to get a good one, even at pick 31.

My Prediction.  Bengals had to take Chase.  Bengals make up for not taking Sewell by going O Line in Round 1 the very next year in 2022.   The name being mentioned is Bernhard Raimann out of Austria and Central Michigan.  So Bengals had to take Chase over Sewell, but NOW they take a Blocker to make up for it. Burrow the most sacked QB in the NFL needs PASS PROTECTION.

To those who say Bengals have Prince, Burrow might as well have the 1980's singer Prince blocking for him.  Every year Fans on here always rave about some guy that couldn't block your grandmother, and claim we don't need to draft O Line.  I know it is more exciting to draft other positions.  Nobody gets excited over drafting Blockers.  Still, Joe Burrow needs some Pass Protection, he is getting hit more than any other QB in the NFL.  How important is keeping Joe Burrow healthy ?  I say it is the most important thing Bengals need to do to Win. With just a little more Blocking, Burrow could have got Shooter McPherson in range to kick Super Bowl winning Field Goal, but the Blocking Was NOT there. Bengals were lucky Burrow got up off the ground as often as he did, the Doctor did a good operation and knee brace.  Maybe that doctor should be Bengals MVP, he did more to protect Burrow than the O Line did.

Please Lord, let the Steelers take this man. We have suffered enough from OL busts. Deliver to us proven disciples to part the ways for Joe Mixon, and to help keep Joe Brrr strong in the pocket. 

Amen. 

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:12 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's going to even get more crazy when free agency passes and our OL signings aren't up to fan expectations. We'll then get 5 to 8 threads highlighting how we blew it.

Good. If we don't go into Free Agency hellbent on protecting Burrow, can you blame anyone for wanting to blow steam on a message board? It's better than the alternative that could have some people sitting behind bars for life. We all wanna see this FO give a shit about our future. And the answer is not in the draft. If it is, they got lucky. 

Reply/Quote
it's just football, man!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 07:52 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Good. If we don't go into Free Agency hellbent on protecting Burrow, can you blame anyone for wanting to blow steam on a message board? It's better than the alternative that could have some people sitting behind bars for life. We all wanna see this FO give a shit about our future. And the answer is not in the draft. If it is, they got lucky. 

Well, we can blow off steam in one massive thread. That was rfaulk's point, keep the conversation together about the OL in one thread.
Reply/Quote
Can't say I'm interested in prospects that typically take 2-3 years in the league to gel. Sick of betting on young prospects finally getting it. Sign some premium FA O linemen with proven track records.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Personally, I hope we don't have to take any of the blockers. The line needs to be fixed in FA.

Agree

They have to get at least two upper tier Olinemen in free agency. And then I hope they draft a couple Oline but I really don't want to rely on rookies to step right in even later on in the season.

Fix the line for real.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Look man...don't be crappin' on the 443rd thread about the offensive line and BLOCKERS, on the front page alone. Let Kev do his thing!

458 I counted

Yes you're wrong

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 12:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This just isn't true. The combine always makes folks "go back and look at the tape". There's no way a department can watch every snap of every player. But if you see a kid under your radar and you like the way he moves, his size, his interview...then you can go back and study him more closely, 

[Image: R.61990ff8b50ee7f7b227b5609c2f64ce?rik=D...ImgRaw&r=0]

"There's no going back"
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 07:04 AM)kevin Wrote: ESPN and most Mocks have Bengals taking Bernhard Raimann, the Blocker out of Central Michigan. That is if Steelers don't take him first. Steelers and other teams are moving in on him. I saw him run in the Combine today. My brother called, so I didn't get to see as much. They didn't show the weight lifting part. Bengals use to rave about what a Blocker bench pressed in work outs before the draft. I can see that, good foot work, explosive off the snap, and very strong. Now just because ESPN and others say Bengals will take Raimann with their 1st pick, does not make it so. Still, he looked like an upgrade to Bengals O Line, from what little they showed of him....When younger he was a Tight End. That could be a plus. Big enough to be listed as a Blocking O Lineman, but able to line up as a road grading Tight End and catch a few passes when needed. The Steelers are now very interested in him, but I would think with Big Ben gone they would be in dire need of a new young QB.

That is as much of Combine as I will watch. I saw what little they showed of THE BLOCKERS, which Bengals need.

The Next KEY DATE is around March 15th. Bengals run out of time on using the Franchise Tag, and Free Agency Starts. The Combine is important, even if some on here don't think so. All these NFL teams are at the Combine every year for a reason. They don't show up because they love going to Indy.

Oh Yes, NFL Network said not many top RB's, but O Line Blocking is DEEP in this years Draft. That is good news for a Bengals team looking high and low to protect their young star quarterback who they have already got his knee injured since a Bengal. I would say a combo of Free Agents AND draft picks needed brought in to Protect Joe Burrow. The good news is that THIS is a good year for Blockers, per NFL Network. The Bengals should be able to get a good one, even at pick 31.

My Prediction. Bengals had to take Chase. Bengals make up for not taking Sewell by going O Line in Round 1 the very next year in 2022. The name being mentioned is Bernhard Raimann out of Austria and Central Michigan. So Bengals had to take Chase over Sewell, but NOW they take a Blocker to make up for it. Burrow the most sacked QB in the NFL needs PASS PROTECTION.

To those who say Bengals have Prince, Burrow might as well have the 1980's singer Prince blocking for him. Every year Fans on here always rave about some guy that couldn't block your grandmother, and claim we don't need to draft O Line. I know it is more exciting to draft other positions. Nobody gets excited over drafting Blockers. Still, Joe Burrow needs some Pass Protection, he is getting hit more than any other QB in the NFL. How important is keeping Joe Burrow healthy ? I say it is the most important thing Bengals need to do to Win. With just a little more Blocking, Burrow could have got Shooter McPherson in range to kick Super Bowl winning Field Goal, but the Blocking Was NOT there. Bengals were lucky Burrow got up off the ground as often as he did, the Doctor did a good operation and knee brace. Maybe that doctor should be Bengals MVP, he did more to protect Burrow than the O Line did.
Besides sarcasm, are there actually people referencing Prince in an optimistic light ? Agree that There are several intriguing OL prospects , and I hope we double or triple dip this year (for depth and development) along w hitting FA for the immediate return.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2022, 09:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Well, we can blow off steam in one massive thread. That was rfaulk's point, keep the conversation together about the OL in one thread.

You and I both know you're asking for too much.

Reply/Quote