Reply/Quote
Gold Jacket presentation

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So great to see

Now if they'll put Anderson in
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just watched his son at the induction. Man, not gonna lie, kind of hurts me that he didn't get to be there and get his representation while he was alive. Glad his wife got to see it and Junior did his dad proud.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 12:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So great to see

Now if they'll put AndersonS in

Definitely Kenny is way past due but Willie needs to be enshrined, too.
Reply/Quote
Ken Riley was NEVER voted to the Pro Bowl. I remember because people asked what could the sports writers be looking at every year to NEVER consider Ken Riley as Pro Bowl or All Star or All Pro. I think playing in Cincinnati, because if he was playing in New York, why anybody with half his talent in New York gets treated like a star by The New York sports writers.

This glaring mistake is being corrected today as Ken Riley goes into the NFL Hall of Fame. I just wish he was alive to see it.

Tony Perez was the most under estimated player in baseball per Maury Wills in Sports Illustrated around 1970. So I never expected Tony to make the HOF. More amazing is Ken Riley, who was never in a Pro Bowl even though he was more than good enough.

So glad that TODAY.....KEN RILEY.....Goes into the NFL Hall Of FAME

Yes, next needs to be Ken Anderson. Again, if Ken Anderson had played in New York, he would have been in decades ago. The very smug New York looks down on fly over Cincinnati. A good example is Ken Burns History of Baseball, which barely mentions an Ernie Banks, but acts like if it didn't happen in New York or Boston, it didn't happen. There are many players for New York teams who have no business in the Hall Of Fames, and too many great players for cities like Cincinnati being left out by New York snub.

But TODAY, somebody got it right. Ken Riley joins Anthony Munoz as the only 2 Cincinnati Bengals in The Hall Of Fame. Yes Paul Brown also, but he was in before he started The Bengals Bengals can also share in Charlie Joiner in HOF, for he indeed spent years here as a Bengal. .....But I can add many times Pro Bowl Ken Anderson, or many times Pro Bowl Max Montoya. Cris Collinsworth for his Pro Bowl years and for his NFL Game Of Week broadcasting needs considered. Had AJ Green or Issac Curtis played in New York, they would go in easy.

But as Johnny Bench tried to tell fans at HOF chanting Pete, save that for another day, this is a day to celebrate. So just as when Johnny Bench went in, today is not a day to say who isn't in, that is for another day....

TODAY is KEN RILEYS DAY....and it is well deserved....but as Jimmy Cagney said when Fred Astaire was honored in the 1980's, " What the heck took everybody so long " ......To Ken Riley Family, it took too long, but TODAY is YOUR DAY.

I saw Lemar Parrish and Ken Riley, and later Louis Breeden and Ken Riley, both great CB combos, but Always Ken Riley.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 12:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So great to see

Now if they'll put Anderson in

Was listening to an interview with Anthony Munoz on the NFL radio channel, and he was how long it had been overdue for Ken Riley to be inducted and that he had pulled out his #13 jersey to commemorate the occasion.  He went on to say that he hopes to be pulling out his #14 jersey soon.

Side note, even my son who is a die hard Browns fan (for some odd reason) found it astonishing that Riley had been passed by on for so many years. He said "that guy has numbers that will never be equaled by even the most elite modern CBs".  I went onto explain to him that it's because he played for the small market Bengals, and had he played for one of the major market teams he would hallowed as one of the legendary greats of the NFL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 02:34 PM)kevin Wrote: Ken Riley was NEVER voted to the Pro Bowl.  I remember because people asked what could the sports writers be looking at every year to NEVER consider Ken Riley as Pro Bowl or All Star or All Pro. 
It's true KR never was voted to a Pro Bowl, but he did make 1st Team All-Pro his last year in the league. 

WTS, so glad to see The Rattler get his due. I've said it before; he's the reason I wore 13. KR was much more than a great football player, he was a brilliant man. I pray he's looking down today. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 12:30 PM)pally Wrote: Gold Jacket presentation

2 things got Riley in, his son continued to beat the drum and seniors inductees expand to 3 temporarily 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 11:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 2 things got Riley in, his son continued to beat the drum and seniors inductees expand to 3 temporarily 

Of course there was this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/6/2/22462271/mel-blount-supports-ken-riley-hall-of-fame-case-bengals-steelers-hall-of-fame

Quote:“Justice needs to be served for Ken Riley,” Blount said.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
So happy for his family to see him received this long overdue honor.
Reply/Quote
The team's video tribute was excellent. Wish he was here to see it all happen.

I hope that this current team's rise to relevance can help get some other former players over the line and into the Hall.
Reply/Quote
boutdamntime !

Now they need to undo their other mistake and induct Kenny as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
[Image: IMG_6101.jpeg?preset=large.socialmediaimage]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2023, 09:55 AM)Go Cards Wrote: boutdamntime !

Now they need to undo their other mistake and induct Kenny as well.

both Andersons....Kenny and Willie

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course there was this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/6/2/22462271/mel-blount-supports-ken-riley-hall-of-fame-case-bengals-steelers-hall-of-fame

Just saying the interview I saw with his son about after he died, his goal was not letting HOF goal go and increased the effort.. probably help lead to the mel blount endorsement
Reply/Quote
I had no idea he was from Bartow, FL. Next time I’m in the area, I’ll have to see if I can find the street they named after him.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 02:00 PM)Destro Wrote: Just watched his son at the induction. Man, not gonna lie, kind of hurts me that he didn't get to be there and get his representation while he was alive. Glad his wife got to see it and Junior did his dad proud.

He absolutely did. Awesome speech.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote