Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals HQ concerned with free agency
This is from Jason La Canfora

"There is a lot of concern in Bengals headquarters about this year's free-agent defections mirroring last year's. Lot of talent getting away"
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:59 AM)Trademark Wrote: This is from Jason La Canfora

"There is a lot of concern in Bengals headquarters about this year's free-agent defections mirroring last year's. Lot of talent getting away"

And pray tell, what did they learn from last year's stampede?
Reply/Quote
If this was actually true, they would change their approach and sign guys they supposedly value before letting them hit FA or dare I say it...they'd make competitive offers to FA's and not try to count on a hometown discount while being cheap as hell.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:59 AM)Trademark Wrote: This is from Jason La Canfora

The Bengals just let them walk away without much of a fight. Didn't even offer Zeitler a contract. Wow, what a way compete there.

The team can call them defections, but I call Mikey Brown a piece of dog stuff that was stepped on by the players for a second year in a row.

Reply/Quote
But they all went to top notch franchises like Falcons, Browns, Rams, Lions.......they should be worried. Why are they saying this now. Its all bullshit, its not like they made Zeitler an offer but he took less to play somewhere else, they didnt make an offer at all. Screw them with their woe is me bullshit when they sit on their hands and watch everyone else get better. No excuse for not keeping 1 of the 2 OL men we lost.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If this was actually true, they would change their approach and sign guys they supposedly value before letting them hit FA or dare I say it...they'd make competitive offers to FA's and not try to count on a hometown discount while being cheap as hell.
Yes, you are correct.

And pray tell, what did they learn from last year's stampede?
Answer: Apparently NOTHING!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If this was actually true, they would change their approach and sign guys they supposedly value before letting them hit FA or dare I say it...they'd make competitive offers to FA's and not try to count on a hometown discount while being cheap as hell.

Apparently we offered Whit 11 million. He chased the money. 

Hard to compete with Cleveland when they are flushing 16 mil down the toilet to get a 2nd round pick next year. Making Zeitler the highest paid G in the league is a cleveland type move.

With Hobson bullshitting us about them having 2-3 mil left to spend they have to be setting aside a big chunk for extensions. 

Does it go to Burfict and Eifert? Or are they getting ready to hand extensions to Clarke Hill and Bodine?

Ideally we get Eifert and Burfict locked up with fair deals and go in to next year with a new head coach and no big time free agents who would get us comp picks so we actually get involved in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:20 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Apparently we offered Whit 11 million. He chased the money. 

Hard to compete with Cleveland when they are flushing 16 mil down the toilet to get a 2nd round pick next year. Making Zeitler the highest paid G in the league is a cleveland type move.

With Hobson bullshitting us about them having 2-3 mil left to spend they have to be setting aside a big chunk for extensions. 

Does it go to Burfict and Eifert? Or are they getting ready to hand extensions to Clarke Hill and Bodine?

Ideally we get Eifert and Burfict locked up with fair deals and go in to next year with a new head coach and no big time free agents who would get us comp picks so we actually get involved in free agency.

Okay, he chased the money, and Zeitler broke the bank...but why did it come to this??? If they are "troubled" by the losses, then why did they allow them to even get to this point is what I am asking?? It's not against the rules to extend them before FA starts and before other teams can talk to them. You actually can extend them before they even start playing the final year of their contract. 

To me it is simple. If you let a guy hit true open market FA, then you aren't too worried about losing him. Good teams, never let their best players hit that point. Did the steelers allow Brown, or Ben or Bell or DeCastro or etc, etc, hit that point? Nope, they locked those guys up before anyone else can get a chance to even tempt them with big money.

That is where this team is falling short. If Marvin Jones is a guy you value, let him know it by signing him before the Lions can overpay. Whit is a cornerstone of the franchise you say? Then sign him, so he never gets this offer from LA and retires a Bengal.

This isn't rocket science, it's just Mike being cheap, that's all there is too it. 

Winning teams, only let guys hit this point if they are prepared to move on without them. And if the player wants to test the waters, that is when you tag him so other teams can't just take him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown be like...

"Can that Peko guy play Tackle?"
Reply/Quote