Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Have No O Line, Need To Add Many New O Line
(12-07-2020, 03:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know PFF likes him, but I haven't been all that impressed. When the line has struggled, he's been right along with them.

Matter of fact if he was really living up to his billing we wouldn't be so desperate for LT at 3. So I get the sense many of us don't see that spot as solidified.

The Bengals are not "so desperate" for a LT at 3.
The fans want the best OL in the draft, and that's Sewell.
It just so happens he plays LT, and Jonah has played RT in college, so some think the easiest thing to do is shift Jonah to RT while keeping Sewell at LT.
Jonah would also look better if he didn't have the worst pass-blocking starter on the OL next to him in Mike Jordan.

Did people really expect Jonah to be a Top 10 LT in the NFL in his first season of action? I didn't. But I did expect him to be solid, which he has been.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 03:47 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I wouldn't consider Jonah a bust. But he's no 2nd coming either. At least at this point, he's basically a rookie himself.

I agree.  If I remember correctly, Jonah was the best tackle in a not so good tackle class in that draft year.  From what I see including PFF grades, he is just above average and would be better at RT when we bring Sewell into the fold.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are not "so desperate" for a LT at 3.
It just so happens he plays LT, and Jonah has played RT in college, so some think the easiest thing to do is shift Jonah to RT while keeping Sewell at LT.
Jonah would also look better if he didn't have the worst pass-blocking starter on the OL next to him in Mike Jordan.

Did people really expect Jonah to be a Top 10 LT in the NFL in his first season of action? I didn't. But I did expect him to be solid, which he has been.

Great point. No other positions (maybe QB/WR) requires players to gel as much and work together to be successful. Put a Zeitler or Boling next to Jonah and he’ll look even better.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 04:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Great point. No other positions (maybe QB/WR) requires players to gel as much and work together to be successful. Put a Zeitler or Boling next to Jonah and he’ll look even better.

Or even put Spain there, as Spain has said he feels best at LG.
XSF also got 6 snaps in yesterday's game, and his most familiar position is LG, so he could play there too and should be an upgrade.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are not "so desperate" for a LT at 3.

Do you think this would be the case if LT was settled? or if people were sold on Williams? We pass up on "can't miss" prospects all the time in the draft at positions that are settled. That's why no one is interested in a QB at 3. I think if fans were sold on Williams, we would be willing to pass on Sewell at 3. Again, this is the deepest OT class we have seen in the last decade. We can get a starting RT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I hope we take Sewell, because I'm willing to admit I'm not sold on Williams at LT. If I was sold on Williams, I'd be open to take another position or trade out of the spot (which I still hope we do).

There was concerns about Williams coming out as far as his best position. Some even saying he'd be best at Center.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 05:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Do you think this would be the case if LT was settled? or if people were sold on Williams? We pass up on "can't miss" prospects all the time in the draft at positions that are settled. That's why no one is interested in a QB at 3.  I think if fans were sold on Williams, we would be willing to pass on Sewell at 3. Again, this is the deepest OT class we have seen in the last decade. We can get a starting RT in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I hope we take Sewell, because I'm willing to admit I'm not sold on Williams at LT. If I was sold on Williams, I'd be open to take another position or trade out of the spot (which I still hope we do).

There was concerns about Williams coming out as far as his best position. Some even saying he'd be best at Center.

In a word: yes.
RT is about just as important at LT is nowadays and the Bengals could use an upgrade over Hart.
Sewell can also play RT, he doesn't have to be LT only.
I'd be fine putting Sewell at RT and keep Williams at LT.

If I was to pick a non-QB at 3, the only 3-4 prospects I'd consider are Sewell, Chase, Surtain, and maybe Rousseau.
I do agree that a starting RT can be found in Rd 2 or top of Rd 3, but there's a difference between those guys in Rd 2/3 and Sewell.

But I wouldn't go Surtain if WJ3 is extended, as Surtain would almost "surtainly" be a backup as a rookie or Waynes would get paid way too much to ride the bench. And I wouldn't necessarily want to go Chase because I feel the Bengals already have good starting WRs in Higgins and Boyd. Rousseau is a bit of a gamble after only having just a single good season.

So for me, I'd take Sewell or trade back to get an extra couple Day 1/2 picks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think if you look at Jonah with all the other first year tackles he is playing well. Facts are it takes lineman a couple years from college to pro. Johan has the occasionally oops play but looks solid for the most part. This is something he can build on. First year players will have those games or moments no matter what. But overall his body of work looks bright for the future. Sewell who I hope we draft will also have these issues as a first year player. If you think any rookie will come in and be a HOFer from the start your just going to be upset. But to the OP yes we need help at 4 of the spots. Even Hopkins gets drove back 3 yards every snap.
Reply/Quote
I think we need an OL coach even worse than we need new players.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 03:58 PM)tBengal Wrote: I really don’t want to pass up on Sewell, not only is he talented but he has attitude. Something this team needs.

I have full confidence Jim Turner can coach every drop of testosterone out of Sewell and turn him into a false starting blob of goo. If you’re going to take Sewell PLEASE get a better line coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 03:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know PFF likes him, but I haven't been all that impressed. When the line has struggled, he's been right along with them.

Matter of fact if he was really living up to his billing we wouldn't be so desperate for LT at 3. So I get the sense many of us don't see that spot as solidified.

We aren't desperate for a LT at 3, we are desperate for a generational talent at OT.  

The line would be above average to very good if they had the following:

LT - Williams/Sewell
LG - FA/Spain
C - Hopkins
RG - FA/Spain
RT - Williams/Sewell
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 01:59 PM)kevin Wrote: Now as every year, people have been on here saying The O Line looks pretty good to them, and we should not draft O Line.

I could have sworn it was the opposite and each year people on here have been saying the O line looks pretty bad to them and the should draft O Line.

(12-07-2020, 03:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is the deepest tackle draft in the last decade. Equivalent to the great Wideout prospects last draft. If Williams is legit as folks are acting we could get a RT of the future in the 2nd or 3rd round and open up pick 3.

Let me say this another way, when LT for us was set, we weren't looking at tackles in the top 5.

Before Burrow got injured we weren't picking third.

Now with us picking third that gives us a shot at Sewell, who is, I hear, the equivalent of Chase Young in last year's draft. You talk about opening up the draft, but the reason you open up the draft is so you can go BPA. Sewell is by all accounts the BPA at this pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 08:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I have full confidence Jim Turner can coach every drop of testosterone out of Sewell and turn him into a false starting blob of goo.  If you’re going to take Sewell PLEASE get a better line coach.

And that's the thing. People talk about Sewell as can't miss.

He will have not played in over a year because of opting out for covid.

The Bengals generally also play a passive blocking scheme. Do we know what Sewell excels in at Oregon? There are just a lot of variables. How does he respond to being screamed at as a source of motivation?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 04:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: YOU NEEDED to watch the 2nd half. Yes you do!

Oh, you liked the bench clearing thing.  Do you also like TV Wrestling ?   The Bengals played an AWFUL 2nd Half.   What stands out is THE O LINE letting 2nd QB in 3 games get pounded into injury.   2 QBs injured in 3 games.   Until Bengals get a REAL O LINE,  Burrow and every good QB in NFL should refuse to play for Cincinnati and waste their careers here. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 08:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We aren't desperate for a LT at 3, we are desperate for a generational talent at OT.  

LT - Williams/Sewell
LG - FA/Spain
C - Hopkins
RG - FA/Spain
RT - Williams/Sewell

I like adding Sewell....   Now I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Cincinnati.  They tell me Hopkins is good there. but I think that they are batty.  Not Spain or Hopkins, or other Flopkins, or Burrow coming back will not matter. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Getting our hands on a couple of (good) veteran FA OLinemen would ease things as they are pretty much ready to plug-and-play.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals generally also play a passive blocking scheme. Do we know what Sewell excels in at Oregon? There are just a lot of variables. How does he respond to being screamed at as a source of motivation?

I can't contribute much as to Oregon's specific blocking scheme, but when I watch footage of Sewell in action, he looks to be anything but passive.  If fact, he looks aggressive as hell!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 08:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We aren't desperate for a LT at 3, we are desperate for a generational talent at OT.  

LT - Williams/Sewell
LG - FA/Spain
C - Hopkins
RG - FA/Spain
RT - Williams/Sewell

I couldn't have said it any better.
Reply/Quote
Again it is a wasted pick unless Turner is junked and the Bengals finally and permanently drop the passive blocking schemes.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:59 PM)kevin Wrote: I like adding Sewell....   Now I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Cincinnati.  They tell me Hopkins is good there. but I think that they are batty.  Not Spain or Hopkins, or other Flopkins, or Burrow coming back will not matter. 

Not sure what you mean by that, but having Sewell/Spain/Hopkins/Free agent/Williams would be a damn good O-line.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not sure what you mean by that, but having Sewell/Spain/Hopkins/Free agent/Williams would be a damn good O-line.
Looked like a Waylon thing to me, which is never a bad thing.
Reply/Quote