Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Have and Still Need A Top Linebacker Pick
(01-26-2016, 05:44 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Last group of fans you should be asking about a player from that school....

But he's good. Athletic as hell and can hit too. 

He looks like what the Bengals target as a SAM and Nickle LB...

He has the speed and athletic ability to flip his hips and run with TEs, RBs, and even slot receivers. Great at picking lanes to the ball carrier and making tackles in the open field. His biggest issue I've seen is when lined up in the box he gets washed out of plays easily by linemen and blocking TEs. He needs time in the weight room and work stacking and shedding.

The thing is he has the athletic ability and football IQ to be a first round pick but the the lack of strength in his game is off putting for a linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:16 PM)Synric Wrote: He looks like what the Bengals target as a SAM and Nickle LB...

He has the speed and athletic ability to flip his hips and run with TEs, RBs, and even slot receivers. Great at picking lanes to the ball carrier and making tackles in the open field. His biggest issue I've seen is when lined up in the box he gets washed out of plays easily by linemen and blocking TEs. He needs time in the weight room and work stacking and shedding.

The thing is he has the athletic ability and football IQ to be a first round pick but the the lack of strength in his game is off putting for a linebacker.

If we are a smart team, we'd draft a DT who could prevent OL from getting to him with ease. But we've not shown that sort of acumen yet...
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If we are a smart team, we'd draft a DT who could prevent OL from getting to him with ease. But we've not shown that sort of acumen yet...

Probably got Peko's cousin at the top of our board.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Probably got Peko's cousin at the top of our board.

we've shied from bloodlines, so IDK about that.
It would be weird if we took him and Kenny Iloka 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If we are a smart team, we'd draft a DT who could prevent OL from getting to him with ease. But we've not shown that sort of acumen yet...

This year I really don't see the penetrating 1 techs. If they were smart they'd go after Nick Fairly hard in FA it would be around the same price as a 1st round pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:31 PM)Synric Wrote: This year I really don't see the penetrating 1 techs. If they were smart they'd go after Nick Fairly hard in FA it would be around the same price as a 1st round pick.

Ah yes, I remember that tease
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:31 PM)Synric Wrote: This year I really don't see the penetrating 1 techs. If they were smart they'd go after Nick Fairly hard in FA it would be around the same price as a 1st round pick.

Sheldon Rankins
DJ Reader
Jarran Reed
Kenny Clark 
Austin Johnson
Andrew Billings
Hassan Ridgeway

Hmm. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: we've shied from bloodlines, so IDK about that.
It would be weird if we took him and Kenny Iloka 

Kyle Peko would have to be a rookie camp tryout. CBS has the top 69 DTs listed and Peko isn't anywhere to be found.

Iloka would be intriguing since his stock crumbled with his injury. I could see him as a legit rookie camp tryout.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Kyle Peko would have to be a rookie camp tryout. CBS has the top 69 DTs listed and Peko isn't anywhere to be found.

Iloka would be intriguing since his stock crumbled with his injury. I could see him as a legit rookie camp tryout.

Both would be welcomed additions. We've had some luck with UDFAs 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sheldon Rankins
DJ Reader
Jarran Reed
Kenny Clark 
Austin Johnson
Andrew Billings
Hassan Ridgeway

Hmm. 

Like I said Penetrating 1 techs.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 06:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Like I said Penetrating 1 techs.

Rankins, Billings, Reed and Clark are exactly that.

Reader has upside there.
Ridgeway and Johnson are more standard 1T 

But to say what you did is horribly false. 

This draft is rich with 1T prospects. 
Reply/Quote
How many LBs do we have on the field. Burfict should be here as long as he is in the NFL. Maualuga signed a 3 year deal last year. And Dawson was supposed to be the most instinctive player in the draft. If he turns out are we going to sit our first round pick LB a lot of people want for a couple years?

I understand we need depth at LB. But we can get depth without burning a premium pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 12:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How many LBs do we have on the field. Burfict should be here as long as he is in the NFL. Maualuga signed a 3 year deal last year. And Dawson was supposed to be the most instinctive player in the draft. If he turns out are we going to sit our first round pick LB a lot of people want for a couple years?

I understand we need depth at LB. But we can get depth without burning a premium pick.

Despite all those LB's, the Bengals do not have a LB that can consistently hang with TE's and stay close to RB's.  A true run and chase, cover guy.  Don't need to burn a #1 unless Jaylon Smith is on the board.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 12:39 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Despite all those LB's, the Bengals do not have a LB that can consistently hang with TE's and stay close to RB's.  A true run and chase, cover guy.  Don't need to burn a #1 unless Jaylon Smith is on the board.

Burfict can hang with TE's and cover RBs.. so we do have one guy but more depth would be great... as I stated before our draft this year will be more dependent on our own FA signings than any of the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2016, 12:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How many LBs do we have on the field. Burfict should be here as long as he is in the NFL. Maualuga signed a 3 year deal last year. And Dawson was supposed to be the most instinctive player in the draft. If he turns out are we going to sit our first round pick LB a lot of people want for a couple years?

If Dawson was all that great we would have seen him play more this year.
Reply/Quote

2-3 of them. Right now we have 2 base linebackers and one of those is okay in coverage. 
We need a third LB. Maybe that's Dawson in base. But he's like Maualuga and Burfict. If he can keep the coverage in front of him then he's fine. but if he has to turn and run, we're in trouble.  We need the guy who can turn and run. 

(02-01-2016, 10:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burfict can hang with TE's and cover RBs.. so we do have one guy but more depth would be great... as I stated before our draft this year will be more dependent on our own FA signings than any of the past few years.

He really can't though. We got ate up at times because he can't turn and run with them. 
Reply/Quote

Boy I hope you're wrong this year.  There are a lot of them, though I think after the Senior Bowl Rankins and Reed climb the draft boards.   Rang at CBS already have put Rankins and Reed out of reach for us - and given the rise of Aaron Donald I think he's right about Rankins.   But I would think that Clark or Butler will still be there.  And we need to take one of those if we hope to stiffen our run defense and keep the O Linemen off our linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:55 PM)3wt Wrote: Boy I hope you're wrong this year.  There are a lot of them, though I think after the Senior Bowl Rankins and Reed climb the draft boards.   Rang at CBS already have put Rankins and Reed out of reach for us - and given the rise of Aaron Donald I think he's right about Rankins.   But I would think that Clark or Butler will still be there.  And we need to take one of those if we hope to stiffen our run defense and keep the O Linemen off our linebackers.

People will be shocked at the difference it makes when your LBs aren't having to deal with a guard every snap
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: People will be shocked at the difference it makes when your LBs aren't having to deal with a guard every snap

Not sure what you are claiming here.

Atkins draws as many double teams as any DT in the league and almost no offense double teams both DTs at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are claiming here.

Atkins draws as many double teams as any DT in the league and almost no offense double teams both DTs at the same time.

Honestly that makes it worse.

Our nose and reserves we rely on in our rotation consistently cannot get off blocks.
Reply/Quote