Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Have and Still Need A Top Linebacker Pick
(02-05-2016, 01:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's actually a pretty darn good LB FA. The Bengals could easily pick up a couple of guys who would fix their LB troubles without having to break the bank. Pick up Mark Barron (yes, he's a LB now) and say a Zach Brown. Both 2nd tier FAs, but both huge improvements over what they currently have.

Mark Barron (26), Zach Brown (26), Vontaze Burfict (26)... you'd then be significantly more talented and also younger at LB, turning a position of need into a position of strength without having to spend huge FA money while also opening up your draft possibilities more.

I still have a hard time thinking of Barron as a Linebacker, how much does he weigh now?

I wanted Barron anyways because he can play Safety and Linebacker but i didn't think of him as primarily a Linebacker until
you just said it. Watched a lot of Barron in college and wanted us to draft him but i have not watched much of him in the NFL.

I like the Zach Brown thought for sure. Good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 08:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still have a hard time thinking of Barron as a Linebacker, how much does he weigh now?

I wanted Barron anyways because he can play Safety and Linebacker but i didn't think of him as primarily a Linebacker until
you just said it. Watched a lot of Barron in college and wanted us to draft him but i have not watched much of him in the NFL.

I like the Zach Brown thought for sure. Good stuff.

He's still fairly light for a LB at 213 still according to NFL.com. Even though they've been getting much lighter lately it seems (there's no more 270lb bruising MLB, you need to be able to keep up with the Gronks and Gios) he might still need to put on about 7 pounds or so, but 2015 was his first year at LB and he put up 116 tackles, 1 Sack, 5 Pdef, and 3 FF in 16 games/12 starts. He'd basically just be a 900% or so better version of what they were envisioning Emmanuel Lamur to be. That coverage 4-3 OLB who can still tackle in the run.

Maybe the Bengals primarily use him in the nickle? Dunno, just know he would be a talent improvement at the LB spot, and shouldn't break the bank. Maybe, just maybe, they could finally stop Heath Miller from embarrassing them. Miller started 15 games and a full 1/3rd of his catches and almost 1/3rd of his yardage came in 2 games against the Bengals last year. AJ Hawk and Emmanuel Lamur sure aren't the answer. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's still fairly light for a LB at 213 still according to NFL.com. Even though they've been getting much lighter lately it seems (there's no more 270lb bruising MLB, you need to be able to keep up with the Gronks and Gios) he might still need to put on about 7 pounds or so, but 2015 was his first year at LB and he put up 116 tackles, 1 Sack, 5 Pdef, and 3 FF in 16 games/12 starts. He'd basically just be a 900% or so better version of what they were envisioning Emmanuel Lamur to be. That coverage 4-3 OLB who can still tackle in the run.

Maybe the Bengals primarily use him in the nickle? Dunno, just know he would be a talent improvement at the LB spot, and shouldn't break the bank. Maybe, just maybe, they could finally stop Heath Miller from embarrassing them. Miller started 15 games and a full 1/3rd of his catches and almost 1/3rd of his yardage came in 2 games against the Bengals last year. AJ Hawk and Emmanuel Lamur sure aren't the answer. Lol

That's really all we need from our next LB in the immediate future. 
Dawson could be a solid base LB from the little we saw but we need that guy who can jump in on passing downs and run with TEs and RBs
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's really all we need from our next LB in the immediate future. 
Dawson could be a solid base LB from the little we saw but we need that guy who can jump in on passing downs and run with TEs and RBs

Agreed fully. I like Dawson, but coverage was never his biggest strong suit. He's not bad, but he's really good at his vision and run blocking. He can see where the ball carrier is going and he attacks his gaps well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's still fairly light for a LB at 213 still according to NFL.com. Even though they've been getting much lighter lately it seems (there's no more 270lb bruising MLB, you need to be able to keep up with the Gronks and Gios) he might still need to put on about 7 pounds or so, but 2015 was his first year at LB and he put up 116 tackles, 1 Sack, 5 Pdef, and 3 FF in 16 games/12 starts. He'd basically just be a 900% or so better version of what they were envisioning Emmanuel Lamur to be. That coverage 4-3 OLB who can still tackle in the run.

Thanks for the info on Barron, that is light for a Linebacker but hey, look at Deone in Zona'.

Have to evolve with the times. Love Killebrew in the Draft as well for this type of player.
Reply/Quote

To be fair, the Bengals did try to have a Mark Barrone type player. They tried to make Taylor Mays into that. It just didn't turn out well because, well, Mays just isn't that good.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's really all we need from our next LB in the immediate future. 

(02-06-2016, 03:21 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Agreed fully. I like Dawson, but coverage was never his biggest strong suit. 

This
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 05:47 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: To be fair, the Bengals did try to have a Mark Barrone type player. They tried to make Taylor Mays into that. It just didn't turn out well because, well, Mays just isn't that good.

Shawn Williams actually played a few snaps at LB in the nickle, but I don't see that as being our main plan going forward.

Or maybe we were in a dime with only one LB and Williams was just near the LOS.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Shawn Williams actually played a few snaps at LB in the nickle, but I don't see that as being our main plan going forward.

Or maybe we were in a dime with only one LB and Williams was just near the LOS.

I know there was a few times where they put Williams or Mays in at the LB position due to injury and to make matchup problems.

Deione Jones from this draft would definitely look good there. If not him, then sign Trevathan.

Reply/Quote