Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Hire James Bettcher
Ian Rapoport - #49ers senior defensive assistant James Bettcher is expected to fill the vacant LBs job with the #Bengals, sources tell me and @TomPelissero A strong addition in Cincy.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
If hes the guy who coached Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner then this is a huge win and I am so glad Zac isnt that dick coach who tries to make his own guys, but understands he needs help and gets good coaches
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He's the former DC for the Giants when Lou was there. So the boss is now working for the employee.

When he was with Arizona his defenses were all in the top 6 in yards allowed

His background is in linebackers and dl as well as special teams

Looks to be a really strong hire of someone who could step in when Lou gets his HC job

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Bettcher had 3 top 10 D finishes with the Cardinals as DC... horrible stint with the Giants but their talent was God Awful.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Bengals media confirm this hire

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
They seem to love this hire around the webs. So I’ll say well done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Come to Cincinnati. Help us win Championships. Get yourself promoted in the process.
Reply/Quote
Definitely a familiar name. Lost a good coach and it sounds like we plugged a good one right back in. Nice!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 01:45 PM)pally Wrote: Looks to be a really strong hire of someone who could step in when Lou gets his HC job

Let’s hope this doesn’t happen; now that Lou Anarumo has “his guys” on the field the Cincinnati defense is light years better than it was. I hope Mike Brown does not make the same mistake with Lou he did with Mike Zimmer. Letting the Z-fense lapse was most unwise. Keeping Lou in Cincinnati as long as possible as defensive coordinator is the way to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whoa, great grab. Loved Golden but Bettcher might be even bettcher....
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 03:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s hope this doesn’t happen; now that Lou Anarumo has “his guys” on the field the Cincinnati defense is light years better than it was.   I hope Mike Brown does not make the same mistake with Lou he did with Mike Zimmer.  Letting the Z-fense lapse was most unwise.  Keeping Lou in Cincinnati as long as possible as defensive coordinator is the way to go.

I think we have 2 things in our favor regarding Lou.

His resume is very light - this is his 1st FT Coordinator job and strictly a DB coach prior, he did get a cup of coffee with the Giants recently but that may be more due to familiarity and helping Lou.

Secondly the league is in an offensive head coach hiring wave.  Good offenses win games with the way the league continues to change.

Callahan will probably be gone before Lou due to this trend.  However, if BC does leave, we dont lose continuity with the play calling due to Zac being the primary play caller. Now if he would just do it better.... (another topic)
Reply/Quote
When your head coach gets a solid contract renewal it makes it a lot easier to attract coaches. When you make it to the Super Bowl and have a generational QB it makes it easier to attract Free Agents. When your roster raves about the head coach and staff it attracts free agents. When the word gets out that coaches love it in Cincinnati and their boss and front office it attracts people.

When Zac first became head coach a lot of great coaches weren’t available. He did pretty good. He’s done pretty good on eyeing talent. He’s done pretty good eyeing free agents. He’s done pretty good eyeing players to not retain and obtain team leaders. He changed the culture and turned the team around quickly. No he didn’t do it all by himself. I’d expect he concentrates on the OL now and is successful.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: When your head coach gets a solid contract renewal it makes it a lot easier to attract coaches. When you make it to the Super Bowl and have a generational QB it makes it easier to attract Free Agents. When your roster raves about the head coach and staff it attracts free agents. When the word gets out that coaches love it in Cincinnati and their boss and front office it attracts people.

When Zac first became head coach a lot of great coaches weren’t available. He did pretty good. He’s done pretty good on eyeing talent. He’s done pretty good eyeing free agents. He’s done pretty good eyeing team leaders to not retain or obtain. He changed the culture and turned the team around quickly. No he didn’t do it all by himself. I’d expect he concentrates on the OL now and is successful.

This. On top of that Joe Burrow will bring in more talent that want to get that SB win. We were this close with a shit OL.

Get that fixed and who knows what we can do...

Anything is possible with a great OL in front of Burrow and young, smart coaches learning on the fly.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This. On top of that Joe Burrow will bring in more talent that want to get that SB win. We were this close with a shit OL.

Get that fixed and who knows what we can do...

Anything is possible with a great OL in front of Burrow and young, smart coaches learning on the fly.

If they can rush the football Mixon is as explosive as Jonathan Taylor. He’s had a crap OL forever. That will make this offense ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If they can rush the football Mixon is as explosive as Jonathan Taylor. He’s had a crap OL forever. That will make this offense ridiculous.

True, would love to see what Mixon can do behind a great OL. Our WR's are great blockers so once Mixon gets holes in front
of him he can go all the way with our blocking on the outside. Chase namely is a fantastic blocker.
Reply/Quote
Good hire? You Bettcher ass.

I just hope no one Bettchers his name.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good hire? You Bettcher ass.

I just hope no one Bettchers his name.

Sigh…welp I guess we’re doing this.

And I said, “Bettcher? Hardly know her!”
Reply/Quote
LOVE the hire and hopefully it means we'll keep making additions to the coaching staff and roster!

I also love that it was this early because we're going out and getting people we want and not just waiting for leftovers after everyone else hires who they want. Let's hope we take the same approach with free agents (specifically on the offensive line).
Reply/Quote
Bring in good coaches and develop the hell out of the youngsters.. Build the dynasty!!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 03:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s hope this doesn’t happen; now that Lou Anarumo has “his guys” on the field the Cincinnati defense is light years better than it was.   I hope Mike Brown does not make the same mistake with Lou he did with Mike Zimmer.  Letting the Z-fense lapse was most unwise.  Keeping Lou in Cincinnati as long as possible as defensive coordinator is the way to go.

What exactly did MB do regarding Zimmer that he could avoid doing with Lou? Because MB isn't giving Lou the head coaching job and firing Zac. 
Reply/Quote