Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals- Holes to Fill and Money to Fill Them Still
Bengals have done a pretty good job filling many of the holes left on the team but there are still a couple of areas of concern left as well as a couple of upgrades.

Holes:
Back -up OT-- Neither Adeniji nor Fred Johnson showed enough to be locked in as first tackle of the bench. Both are late round picks so don't even have the pedigree to have garnered much trust. Smith is young. Would hate to see a starting tackle go down with an injury even short term that could derail the protection schemes. Would also not be helpful to developing Carman if they need to move him right away. Okung, Moses or another quality veteran who may become available is needed to secure O-Line depth

LB - Bengals have a few promising LB's who need time on the field to grow but there is something to be gained by having to win the job too. Adding a veteran LB who could push the youngsters to perform or at least bring experience to the film sessions would be helpful. Adding KJ Wright or someone similar would make a great addition and still allow for the young guys to get experience.

Upgrades:
DT - Mike Daniels is a decent back up and Ogunjobi is an okay starter but there are better players available who may be cheap given the number of teams maxed out of cap space. Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey would cost more than Daniels but would definitely be upgrades and maybe even starters. Bengals have the cap space to look to improve roster still

TE- I wouldn't trade for Ertz but if he becomes available I would definitely go after him. His next contract will be less than what CJ will make this year and Ertz would be a significant upgrade. With the attention to WR's, Ertz could really capitalize. CJ is a good back-up TE but not an ideal starter. Sample is a back-up as well and could be the primary TE in run sets while Ertz could shine in pass sets.

I think the other positions are pretty well set. DB's look much deeper this year and DE's have some young guys who show promise. There are some solid vet pass rushers left but I think the Bengals need to ensure that the young guys get a chance
Reply/Quote
Guard. I would put that above dl, and certainly above backup tackle. I like Spain as a backup, at g and t if needed. But I’d like a starting caliber guard get cut from some cash strapped team now that June 1 is upon us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if they're thinking Spain can play tackle again in a pinch?
Reply/Quote
Need a #4 WR.

Need depth on the O-line, especially OT.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 08:18 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Bengals have done a pretty good job filling many of the holes left on the team but there are still a couple of areas of concern left as well as a couple of upgrades.

Holes:
Back -up OT-- Neither Adeniji nor Fred Johnson showed enough to be locked in as first tackle of the bench. Both are late round picks so don't even have the pedigree to have garnered much trust. Smith is young. Would hate to see a starting tackle go down with an injury even short term that could derail the protection schemes. Would also not be helpful to developing Carman if they need to move him right away. Okung, Moses or another quality veteran who may become available is needed to secure O-Line depth

LB - Bengals have a few promising LB's who need time on the field to grow but there is something to be gained by having to win the job too. Adding a veteran LB who could push the youngsters to perform or at least bring experience to the film sessions would be helpful. Adding KJ Wright or someone similar would make a great addition and still allow for the young guys to get experience.

Upgrades:
DT - Mike Daniels is a decent back up and Ogunjobi is an okay starter but there are better players available who may be cheap given the number of teams maxed out of cap space. Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey would cost more than Daniels but would definitely be upgrades and maybe even starters. Bengals have the cap space to look to improve roster still

TE- I wouldn't trade for Ertz but if he becomes available I would definitely go after him. His next contract will be less than what CJ will make this year and Ertz would be a significant upgrade. With the attention to WR's, Ertz could really capitalize. CJ is a good back-up TE but not an ideal starter. Sample is a back-up as well and could be the primary TE in run sets while Ertz could shine in pass sets.

I think the other positions are pretty well set. DB's look much deeper this year and DE's have some young guys who show promise. There are some solid vet pass rushers left but I think the Bengals need to ensure that the young guys get a chance

I really like Adeniji and D'Ante's upside but wouldn't mind bringing in a vet as you say they are young and inexperienced.

Same with Linebacker, really like our young guys but man we are even younger here. KJ Wright had a horrible year last year
according to PFF, don't know if he is the answer. He might be over the hill now.

Would love to bring in Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey.

Ertz is another guy who might be over the hill and might not be the answer. Actually really like a couple of our UDFA's in Moss
of course and O'Grady. TE doesn't seem to be a concern with our coaches for some reason.

I agree with Fred on WR. after our trio we aren't deep at all there.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Need a #4 WR.

Need depth on the O-line, especially OT.

Smh
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I really like Adeniji and D'Ante's upside but wouldn't mind bringing in a vet as you say they are young and inexperienced.

Same with Linebacker, really like our young guys but man we are even younger here. KJ Wright had a horrible year last year
according to PFF, don't know if he is the answer. He might be over the hill now.

Would love to bring in Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey.

Ertz is another guy who might be over the hill and might not be the answer. Actually really like a couple of our UDFA's in Moss
of course and O'Grady. TE doesn't seem to be a concern with our coaches for some reason.

I agree with Fred on WR. after our trio we aren't deep at all there.

Keep in mind, we likely only keep 4 Tackles, so one of the young guys is going to have get cut in order to add the vet swing Tackle.  Personally, I am fine with that move, but which younger player to cut?  Obviously I'd like to see Smith protected by being on the 53, as I believe he will develop into an every day player in a couple years.

Same goes with LBs, we only keep what, 5?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 09:13 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Guard.  I would put that above dl, and certainly above backup tackle.  I like Spain as a backup, at g and t if needed.  But I’d like a starting caliber guard get cut from some cash strapped team now that June 1 is upon us.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Spain being the first guard off the bench as well. I don't like any of the available guards out there as upgrades tho so it would depend on their being a decent player released. 

Spain could maybe fill in at OT if he was on the bench but I worry that an injury to one of our OT's would be a disaster. I like Jonah but counting on him to play all 17 games is leap of faith. Need at least one OT on the bench that is capable. If have to move Carman or Spain to OT we then are weaker at OG- XSF may be okay to fill in at guard but if we have Spain at OT and XSF at guard we are pretty weak. 

I would love another WR but I think WR 4 (or WR5) if you believe in Tate is behind OL, DT, LB and TE in my view. If we upgrade TE then WR5 is less of an issue and TE will play more than WR4/5.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Keep in mind, we likely only keep 4 Tackles, so one of the young guys is going to have get cut in order to add the vet swing Tackle.  Personally, I am fine with that move, but which younger player to cut?  Obviously I'd like to see Smith protected by being on the 53, as I believe he will develop into an every day player in a couple years.

Good points Sunset. I like D'Ante and Adeniji too much to cut them and Von Bell and Ossai can also play LB.

We run a lot of sets with only 2 Linebackers as well.

WR depth is still the hole I think we need to fill soon enough. Is DeDe Westbrook still available?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Keep in mind, we likely only keep 4 Tackles, so one of the young guys is going to have get cut in order to add the vet swing Tackle.  Personally, I am fine with that move, but which younger player to cut?  Obviously I'd like to see Smith protected by being on the 53, as I believe he will develop into an every day player in a couple years.

These are good points but I remain very worried about protecting Burrow and doing so, in part, by establishing a run game. 

I am far from convinced that our o line- though improved- can do this.
Reply/Quote
I really like listening to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller on XM moving the chains.

They are extremely nice, jovial and respectful of all callers and make really great comments.

Yesterday Pat said Bengals badly needed to sign a vet tight end and run more 12 packages this year to better protect Burrow.

I personally think this is a very good observation given the continuing questions about our o line and having to play three of the best defenses in the league 6 times.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 08:18 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Bengals have done a pretty good job filling many of the holes left on the team but there are still a couple of areas of concern left as well as a couple of upgrades.

Holes:

Upgrades:

Good OP. I agree in the main. But would echo the others saying OG needs upgraded and WR depth.
Reply/Quote
If he can prove he's healthy in a workout, and pass a medical exam, I think that the Bengals would do very well to sign Mitchell Schwartz to a 2 year deal. The more strong, veteran influence that they can put into the OL room, the better.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How much of this extra cash is for extensions though? I'm not expecting a ton of signings. Maybe a couple.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he can prove he's healthy in a workout, and pass a medical exam, I think that the Bengals would do very well to sign Mitchell Schwartz to a 2 year deal. The more strong, veteran influence that they can put into the OL room, the better.

This would be great
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he can prove he's healthy in a workout, and pass a medical exam, I think that the Bengals would do very well to sign Mitchell Schwartz to a 2 year deal.  The more strong, veteran influence that they can put into the OL room, the better.

Would love Mitchell, leave out his last name, Brad might come in here... Ninja
Reply/Quote