Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Linebackers
The time is winding down to training camp and the news cycle is slow. However, I wanted to get the board'd take on our linebacker unit this season. I personally am excited about the potential of our linebacker core this season. We know what Burfict will bring to the table. I think Preston Brown will be a solid, steady addition to the defense. I still hold out hope for Nick Vigil to be a contributor. The guys I am really excited about are Jordan Evans and Malik Jefferson. I really think these two guys help make our defense very good. Evans starting coming on at the end of the year last season. I think he could challenge for a starting spot or be very good in the rotation. Jefferson I think can be a contributor early on as well. He is pretty raw from a recognition standpoint, but he definitely has the speed and athleticism we have been missing. I think when he gets in the classroom he will be able to learn his assignments and be able to contribute. I hope and pray he (and the other rookies) do not fall pray to Marvin's Rookie Rule. I think our defense as a whole will be pretty good, the linebackers are due for some success. Our D Line and secondary has always been good. Time for our LB's make some noise! Who Dey!!! Rock On Rock On Rock On
Reply/Quote
one of those young lb'ers will have to step.up and really become a relentless playmaker.
in the AFC North there are a handful.of playmakers that can torch guys at the 2nd level.
LeVeon Bell Duke Johnson David Njoku Jarvis Landry
Alex Collins is not a cakewalk

Preston Brown can rack.up.tackles by the bunches. hes fundalmentally solid
Vontez Burfict when on the field just makes everyone better
after those 2.....its too many question marks
i have no faith in Nick Vigil. he cant cover a Wal Mart door greeter. he guesses too much
he cant shed blocks to save his life. the only play he made last year was sacking Kizer unblocked
Vinny Rey has his moments but hes not a missle. hes a pros pro and will give you 100%
but hes not a game changer.
Jordan Evans has a chance to really make a impression. he got caught out of position last year
but he was a rookie. Its Haslett job to coach him up.
Evans has Ryan Shazier like speed in closing out to ball.carriers.its just matter of him reading and getting there and not whiffing
Chris Worley could be a wild card much like Malik Jefferson.
but we need a contribution from a young LB now and not later
we havent had a pure game changer at LB since Odell Thurman.
Reply/Quote
If Burfict and Brown can stay healthy? I'd think that the LB corps will be good. If they stay healthy AND one of the young guys steps up? They have a shot at being really good this year. Jefferson probably won't play much being a rook, but Evans or Vigil might take a step forward or at least clean up their mistakes. 
Reply/Quote
I like our LB potential. I like Worley for the practice squad.

Evans, Brown, Vigil, Jefferson, Rey and Lawson is my guess for our LBs during Burficts suspension. I think Rey goes when Burfict comes back if we stay healthy, it will be a tough choice between him and one of the recent DB draft picks to cut.

Dunlap, Willis, Hubbard, MJ

Atkins, Baker, Billings, Glasgow, Brown

Wj3, kirk, dennard, Shaw, Devontae, Jackson

Iloka, Williams, Bates, Fej, Wilson

We should get to see Burfict, Preston, and Lawson on the field together at LB. Good luck running when Preston and Burfict are on the field. Add in Lawson blitzing behind 4 defensive linemen 2 of them being Atkins and Dunlap and you better throw the ball fast. Preston and Burfict might not be the best in pass coverage but if we are getting instant pressure that weakness would be masked.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 09:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I like our LB potential. I like Worley for the practice squad.

Evans, Brown, Vigil, Jefferson, Rey and Lawson is my guess for our LBs during Burficts suspension. I think Rey goes when Burfict comes back if we stay healthy, it will be a tough choice between him and one of the recent DB draft picks to cut.

Dunlap, Willis, Hubbard, MJ

Atkins, Baker, Billings, Glasgow, Brown

Wj3, kirk, dennard, Shaw, Devontae, Jackson

Iloka, Williams, Bates, Fej, Wilson

We should get to see Burfict, Preston, and Lawson on the field together at LB. Good luck running when Preston and Burfict are on the field. Add in Lawson blitzing behind 4 defensive linemen 2 of them being Atkins and Dunlap and you better throw the ball fast. Preston and Burfict might not be the best in pass coverage but if we are getting instant pressure that weakness would be masked.
I forgot about Worley. I think he may be the UDFA that follows the Vinny Rey pathway and has a solid career with us.
Reply/Quote
Preston should help the run defense. Not sure we are good pass defenders there though. Let's face it. At times, teams will try to isolate them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The one thing that wont surprise me is if the Bengals look to the waiver wire for a veteran LB, and I don't mean a washed up AJ Hawk kind of guy either.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 10:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Preston should help the run defense.  Not sure we are good pass defenders there though.  Let's face it.  At times, teams will try to isolate them.

I agree that we definitely have some coverage liability in the middle of the defense right now, but I'm thinking there are a couple way we can address it:

1) As someone said earlier in the thread, our pass rush looks like it could really take it to another level this year. We have the talent, and just as important, we have good depth.

2) Bates. Sure he'll be great insurance for the deep ball, but I think we'll see him patrolling the middle of the field too. I expect him to get some good INTs jumping in front of TEs this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 05:40 AM)Air Force 1 Wrote: The one thing that wont surprise me is if the Bengals look to the waiver wire for a veteran LB, and I don't mean a washed up AJ Hawk kind of guy either.

Don't see it. I think they like what they have with Burfict and Brown and they have invested a decent amount in Vigil, Evans, and Jefferson hoping one of them can figure it out. Remember you also have Shawn Williams available to play Nickle LB on passing downs. 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 08:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: Don't see it. I think they like what they have with Burfict and Brown and they have invested a decent amount in Vigil, Evans, and Jefferson hoping one of them can figure it out. Remember you also have Shawn Williams available to play Nickle LB on passing downs. 

I agree with this. Vigil was playing on a bum ankle last year, so we'll see how he does, but Jordan Evans was making huge strides at the end of last season, and if he continues to improve, he will be a very good backer. As for Jefferson, I think he will impress.....
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree with this. Vigil was playing on a bum ankle last year, so we'll see how he does, but Jordan Evans was making huge strides at the end of last season, and if he continues to improve, he will be a very good backer. As for Jefferson, I think he will impress.....

Evans was indeed flashing signs of being good towards the end of last season. I don't really know what to make of Vigil ? I haven't gave up all hope on him but I'm leaning towards him not being the answer. Perhaps his injury limited him ?
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 09:13 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Preston Brown can rack.up.tackles by the bunches. hes fundalmentally solid
Vontez Burfict when on the field just makes everyone better
after those 2.....its too many question marks 

This.

Vinny Rey is a smart veteran, but lacks elite athleticism.  Jordan Evans has elite athleticism but doesn't have the head for the game yet.

Nothing else really impresses me right now.

FYI Bengals only used 3 LBs on 30% of defensive snaps last year (18th in league. about average). We used a nickel package (5 DBs) more than all but 3 other teams in the league.  I don't see that changing a lot, but I think we might see more 3 safety instead of 3 CB.  In fact teams like the Pats, Chiefs, Packers, and Chargers are using a lot of 3CB, 3 Saf as a major part of their "base" scheme.  League wide teams on;y use 4 DBs about 33% of the time.  Now teams are looking more and more at a safety/hybrid type player too keep on the field all the time.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 09:57 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps his injury limited him ?

I can't see how a bum ankle could not limit his coverage.... I'm not saying he will be any better this year, but I have to try to be fair, if he was playing on a bum ankle, then running could not be 100%
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 08:39 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: The time is winding down to training camp and the news cycle is slow. However, I wanted to get the board'd take on our linebacker unit this season. I personally am excited about the potential of our linebacker core this season. We know what Burfict will bring to the table. I think Preston Brown will be a solid, steady addition to the defense. I still hold out hope for Nick Vigil to be a contributor. The guys I am really excited about are Jordan Evans and Malik Jefferson. I really think these two guys help make our defense very good. Evans starting coming on at the end of the year last season. I think he could challenge for a starting spot or be very good in the rotation. Jefferson I think can be a contributor early on as well. He is pretty raw from a recognition standpoint, but he definitely has the speed and athleticism we have been missing. I think when he gets in the classroom he will be able to learn his assignments and be able to contribute. I hope and pray he (and the other rookies) do not fall pray to Marvin's Rookie Rule. I think our defense as a whole will be pretty good, the linebackers are due for some success. Our D Line and secondary has always been good. Time for our LB's make some noise! Who Dey!!! Rock On  Rock On  Rock On

Really like the upside of both Jefferson and Evans. Malik has the skillset to play SAM for us, i think it will take a bit
for him to adapt to the NFL though. Both Malik and Evans have rare athleticism we haven't had in our Linebackers.

Preston Brown like you said is solid and is a great tackler, we are better then last year for sure at LB. I just have not
been impressed with Haslett, i wanted another LB coach but oh well, hope he changes my mind. Worley is smart and
athletic, i think he makes the team.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  I just have not been impressed with Haslett,

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with Haslett? Not preparing to bash, just wanting to be more informed.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 03:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Out of curiosity, what is the issue with Haslett? Not preparing to bash, just wanting to be more informed.

Even when he was on the Redskins London Fletcher one of the most underrated LB's ever had problems with
him as a Coach. Haslett was a great player but that doesn't always translate to coaching. I have tried to be
fair with the guy and not have a bias against him i just haven't been impressed with him coaching our guys up.

His first year here our Linebackers were always out of position it seemed.
Reply/Quote
One of the biggest question marks on the team.  And I'm not really too hopeful for the beginning of the season:

1. Tez is out 4 games and reportedly looks way out of shape
  2. Preston is a great two down LB who is used to playing 3, but is not overly quick and fast and will probably be a liability in passing plays
  3. Vigil appears to be smart and fast when healthy, but struggles with shedding and tackling
  4. Evans is fast but does not appear to have any instincts
  5. Rey is a gamer with good smarts and great heart - but he's slow
  6. I have great hopes for Worley.  I think he's going to be a good backer, but he also is not known for his speed
  7. Jefferson is really fast, but he's always had the knock of not being to smart.  I think we'll rue the day we did not take a DL or OL at his spot.
So not an inspiring group right now.  There are possibilities, but my fear is that we will be the same crew that cannot shed, tackle and cover.

Sure hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even when he was on the Redskins London Fletcher one of the most underrated LB's ever had problems with
him as a Coach. Haslett was a great player but that doesn't always translate to coaching. I have tried to be
fair with the guy and not have a bias against him i just haven't been impressed with him coaching our guys up.

Thats fair. I was just curious because I don't know anything about the guy.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 03:54 PM)3wt Wrote:
  1. Tez is out 4 games and reportedly looks way out of shape

Where did you hear this? The last thing I read was he looked in mid-season form already.....
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2018, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even when he was on the Redskins London Fletcher one of the most underrated LB's ever had problems with

Ahh, you beat me to it.  Tez is the only backer we've had for a while that will step into a gap and hit someone with the ball. The others are slow to react and drag ball carriers down. Hoping that Brown will meet people in the hole. 
Reply/Quote