Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals, Marvin, and Comp Picks
(03-11-2017, 10:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: My anger is finally subsiding.  I've written this year off already.  Maybe we can use our #1 draft pick next year on an O lineman.

:giggle:

Yeah right you guys will be crying all the way up to the pre-season.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:42 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: :giggle:

Yeah right you guys will be crying all the way up to the pre-season.

My hissy fit is almost over.  I'm resigned to a losing season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 01:35 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: It's not all bad.  Pats comps since Brady in 2000. Which was a total fluke.

Patriots comp picks

2016: Round 3, No. 96 – Vincent Valentine, DT, Nebraska

2016: Round 6, No. 208 – Kamu Grugier-Hill, LB, Eastern Illinois

2016: Round 6, No. 214 – Elandon Roberts, LB, Houston

2016: Round 6, No. 221 – Ted Karras, G, Illinois

2015: Round 3, No. 97 – Geneo Grissom, DE, Oklahoma

2015: Round 7, No. 253 – Xzavier Dickson, DE, Alabama

2014: Round 4, No. 140 – Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford

2010: Round 6, No. 205 – Ted Larsen, C, North Carolina State

2010: Round 7, No. 247 – Brandon Deaderick, DT, Alabama

2010: Round 7, No. 248 – Kade Weston, DT, Georgia

2010: Round 7, No. 250 – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

2009: Round 3, No. 97 – Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida

2009: Round 5, No. 170 – George Bussey, G, Louisville

2009: Round 6, No. 207 – Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky

2007: Round 5, No. 171 – Clint Oldenburg, OT, Colorado State

2007: Round 6, No. 208 – Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut

2007: Round 6, No. 209 – Corey Hilliard, OT, Oklahoma State

2007: Round 7, No. 247 – Mike Elgin, C, Iowa

2006: Round 6, No. 205 – Dan Stevenson, G, Notre Dame

2006: Round 6, No. 206 – Le Kevin Smith, DT, Nebraska

2005: Round 3, No. 100 – Nick Kaczur, OT, Toledo

2005: Round 5, No. 170 – Ryan Claridge, LB, UNLV

2005: Round 7, No. 255 – Andy Stokes, TE, William Penn

2002: Round 7, No. 253 – David Givens, WR, Notre Dame

2001: Round 5, No. 163 – Hakim Akbar, S, Washington

2001: Round 6, No. 200 – Leonard Myers, CB, Miami

2001: Round 7, No. 239 – T.J. Turner, LB, Michigan State

2000: Round 4, No. 127 – Greg Randall, OT, Michigan State

2000: Round 6, No. 199 – Tom Brady, QB, Michigan

2000: Round 6, No. 201 – David Nugent, DE, Purdue

The Bengals list had many more decent NFL players than the pats list did. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:33 PM)Beaker Wrote: The Bengals list had many more decent NFL players than the pats list did. 

Difference is, the Pats, and probably most other teams, don't build their entire philosophy of team building around comp picks.  And really, stop comparing us to the Patriots.  We are not even in the same universe.  They won the SB and then set about getting better.  We won 6 games and immediately proceeded to get worse.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:41 PM)McC Wrote: Difference is, the Pats, and probably most other teams, don't build their entire philosophy of team building around comp picks. 

Neither do the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: Neither do the Bengals.

Of course they do.  Where have you been?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:45 PM)McC Wrote: Of course they do.  Where have you been?

The comp picks are one part of the puzzle, not the entire method. 

The Bengals were on of the first teams to realize the value of comp picks and incorporate them into their strategy....in fact other teams figured it out too after the Bengals success and began working it into their strategies also. There is another thread on here about what geniuses the browns are for paying $16M for a second round pick....but the Bengals being smart about comp picks is bad?

Look, you take some of the older FAs....for example Reggie Nelson, Peko, etc...and realize that their time is short, their skills are declining, and so forth....and you let them walk maybe a season earlier than you had planned because you will get a comp pick is not a bad, stupid or unreasonable thing to do. In soccer, teams will often sell players that have a year left on their contracts because the team knows when the contract is up the player can leave for free, so they get some value while they can. I see comp picks as a similar move. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:45 PM)McC Wrote: Of course they do.  Where have you been?

Yeah there's no denying that compensatory picks are extremely important to them. To the point where we can pretty much forget about signing external FA's that weren't cut. To the point where it was reported that the Bengals were practically giddy that Zeitler and Whit would probably net them 3rd and 5th rounders. Free Agency is a good tool if used properly, and the Bengals pretty much take themselves out of the running for 90% of the players available.

Getting extra picks is generally smart. It's not smart when you tank a season because you won't fix an o-line using FA because you don't want to lose a damn compensatory pick. That's when it goes from being smart to being stupid. The o-line as it stands will be a disaster this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: The comp picks are one part of the puzzle, not the entire method. 

The Bengals were on of the first teams to realize the value of comp picks and incorporate them into their strategy....in fact other teams figured it out too after the Bengals success and began working it into their strategies also. There is another thread on here about what geniuses the browns are for paying $16M for a second round pick....but the Bengals being smart about comp picks is bad?

Look, you take some of the older FAs....for example Reggie Nelson, Peko, etc...and realize that their time is short, their skills are declining, and so forth....and you let them walk maybe a season earlier than you had planned because you will get a comp pick is not a bad, stupid or unreasonable thing to do. In soccer, teams will often sell players that have a year left on their contracts because the team knows when the contract is up the player can leave for free, so they get some value while they can. I see comp picks as a similar move. 

Except there has never been a reaping of these fictitious benefits.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So what you are telling me is we are due to hit on our comp picks this year?

Or are you saying package our comps in  4, 5, 6, and 7 and move up?

I am sayin' that comp picks are not nearly as good as Mikey, et al think they are. See list as proof.
Reply/Quote