Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hilton...Pass Rush?
One of Mike Hilton's biggest strengths as a steeler in 2020 was his ability to rush the passer. A surprise bandit (I don't know why, but I always call safety or CB blitzers "bandits") that catches QBs off guard, in 2020 he had 3 sacks, 2 QB hits, and 4 hurries for a total of 9 QB pressures.

Although it seemed like he wasn't really used in that role here last year, he had 1 sack, 2 QB hits, and 8 hurries for 11 total pressures.

On a recent "Hear That Podcast Growlin'" episode, I think it was Paul Dehner, Jr. mentioned that Anarumo wanted to use Hilton more in pressure packages, but was forced to use him more as the slot DB because no one else was as adept in slot coverage behind him at the safety position.

Enter one Daxton Hill. Apparently, one of the things Anarumo loves about Hill is the ability to have him cover the slot and free up Hilton to rush the passer on occasion.

I know if Bates isn't here, that Hill's role could be relegated to high free safety (or maybe Anderson?) but if Bates reports as I believe he will, it could be fun to see Hilton unleashed a bit more as a pass rusher. Like, maybe week 1? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of Mike Hilton's biggest strengths as a steeler in 2020 was his ability to rush the passer.  A surprise bandit (I don't know why, but I always call safety or CB blitzers "bandits") that catches QBs off guard, in 2020 he had 3 sacks, 2 QB hits, and 4 hurries for a total of 9 QB pressures.

Although it seemed like he wasn't really used in that role here last year, he had 1 sack, 2 QB hits, and 8 hurries for 11 total pressures.

On a recent "Hear That Podcast Growlin'" episode, I think it was Paul Dehner, Jr. mentioned that Anarumo wanted to use Hilton more in pressure packages, but was forced to use him more as the slot DB because no one else was as adept in slot coverage behind him at the safety position.  

Enter one Daxton Hill.  Apparently, one of the things Anarumo loves about Hill is the ability to have him cover the slot and free up Hilton to rush the passer on occasion.  

I know if Bates isn't here, that Hill's role could be relegated to high free safety (or maybe Anderson?) but if Bates reports as I believe he will, it could be fun to see Hilton unleashed a bit more as a pass rusher.  Like, maybe week 1?   Ninja
yes, I was a bit dissapointed Hilton wasnt unleashed more often last yr as its a strength for him. I wish they would figure out the Bates drama once and for all and move on with either him as our Starter or with Hill and Anderson.  
Reply/Quote
the addition of Hill (and even Ossai) will allow the defense to do more exotic stuff than last season
Reply/Quote
Great post. We know Dax is a toy to unleash if Bates plays, but you're right that Hilton could flourish. Versatility is one thing, but those two being threats to shoot the lanes and get to the QB could force bad passes. Have to love Hubbard's ability to roam as shown vs KC to keep balance too.
Reply/Quote
Hilton is a hell of a football player, his INT against the Titans is one of the best plays in franchise history. The addition of Hill definitely frees him up to do a lot more in run support, pass rushing and overall free-lancing kinda stuff where he disrupts using his instincts.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 11:23 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: the addition of Hill (and even Ossai) will allow the defense to do more exotic stuff than last season

Yep

If Ossai gets going and Hilton comes off the other edge letting Hill take slot could be a real good package.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of Mike Hilton's biggest strengths as a steeler in 2020 was his ability to rush the passer.  A surprise bandit (I don't know why, but I always call safety or CB blitzers "bandits") that catches QBs off guard, in 2020 he had 3 sacks, 2 QB hits, and 4 hurries for a total of 9 QB pressures.

Enter one Daxton Hill.  Apparently, one of the things Anarumo loves about Hill is the ability to have him cover the slot and free up Hilton to rush the passer on occasion.  

I know if Bates isn't here, that Hill's role could be relegated to high free safety (or maybe Anderson?) but if Bates reports as I believe he will, it could be fun to see Hilton unleashed a bit more as a pass rusher.  Like, maybe week 1?   Ninja

Gonna be fun. So true about Daxton Hill freeing up Mike. There are so many things Lou can do now with these versatile 
players that he has brought in. Ossai and ADG are a couple other guys that can do multiple things and really **** with a
Offensive Coordinator's head. Instincts, you can't teach them and these guy's have them, same with Logan Wilson.

This Defense is going to be fun to watch after a disappointing regular season besides Hendrickson and our run stopping.

We were only ranked middle of the pack Defensively besides being 5th against the run. Need to improve in many other 
aspects especially against the pass. The additions like Dax Hill, CTB and Tycen could help in certain packages to free up
others to make game changing plays. As we all know Mike Hilton is a game changer with his instincts and skills.
Reply/Quote
in 2020 with the Stealers Hilton blitzed on 10 percent of the defensive snaps he played. With us it was only 3.6%.

DB blitzes can be very effective. In that game from Joe's rookie year when the Ravens sacked him 7 or 8 times I think 5 or 6 were by DBs.
Reply/Quote
I really like both Dax and Cam, but I don't see either of them playing a lot of snaps if everyone is healthy.

But even just 5 to 10 snaps a game can make a significant impact on a defense. Especially if most of those snaps are 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 11:59 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Hilton is a hell of a football player, his INT against the Titans is one of the best plays in franchise history.  The addition of Hill definitely frees him up to do a lot more in run support, pass rushing and overall free-lancing kinda stuff where he disrupts using his instincts.

Yep!  And people forget he made the touchdown-saving tackle the previous play.  He pretty much turned that drive around by himself.

Hilton will make just under $5 million per year in 2022.  And Bates' agent has him posturing saying he won't play for $13 million.  I understand they play different positions with different positional values, but Azuzie was outstanding last year and he is making just under $8 million this year. 

I don't mean to hijack my own thread about Hilton to another Bates debate, but I love Hilton's energy and his talents.  Hope he has a huge season and more folks recognize him.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I really like both Dax and Cam, but I don't see either of them playing a lot of snaps if everyone is healthy.

But even just 5 to 10 snaps a game can make a significant impact on a defense.  Especially if most of those snaps are 3rd downs.

If Bates plays from week 1, I think we could see a lot of Dax on the three-safety looks that Lou loves to employ.  Have no idea how many snaps that would equate to...since the offense can't be stopped  Ninja but I sure like the sound of it and hope Dax, Tycen, and CTB get some valuable experience this year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gonna be fun. So true about Daxton Hill freeing up Mike. There are so many things Lou can do now with these versatile 
players that he has brought in. Ossai and ADG are a couple other guys that can do multiple things and really **** with a
Offensive Coordinator's head. Instincts, you can't teach them and these guy's have them, same with Logan Wilson.

This Defense is going to be fun to watch after a disappointing regular season besides Hendrickson and our run stopping.

We were only ranked middle of the pack Defensively besides being 5th against the run. Need to improve in many other 
aspects especially against the pass. The additions like Dax Hill, CTB and Tycen could help in certain packages to free up
others to make game changing plays. As we all know Mike Hilton is a game changer with his instincts and skills.

Dead on...and you didn't even mention the TE killer, Flowers.   Hilarious  Seriously, though, the guy showed a penchant to really help minimize the opposing TEs and what once seemed like a permanent issue on Bengal defenses, is now a strength.

The new pass rushers, the added talent in the secondary, and (often overlooked) what I believe will be a HUGE upgrade for the defense is the offense's ability to sustain drives.  The added talent on the line and the multitude of options that opens for Callahan and ZT will keep the ball out of the hands of opposing offenses.

I get so pumped thinking about getting a two or three score lead and having the pass rushers teeing off on opposing QBs.  I sure hope we get to see it week 1.  
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on...and you didn't even mention the TE killer, Flowers.   Hilarious  Seriously, though, the guy showed a penchant to really help minimize the opposing TEs and what once seemed like a permanent issue on Bengal defenses, is now a strength.

The new pass rushers, the added talent in the secondary, and (often overlooked) what I believe will be a HUGE upgrade for the defense is the offense's ability to sustain drives.  The added talent on the line and the multitude of options that opens for Callahan and ZT will keep the ball out of the hands of opposing offenses.

I get so pumped thinking about getting a two or three score lead and having the pass rushers teeing off on opposing QBs.  I sure hope we get to see it week 1.  

Even when Flowers was getting beat it was great coverage. That is all you can ask for going against the great TE's and QB's of 
today. Flowers should really help out Tycen Anderson who is the same body type. Like you say with an improved OL we should 
be able to sustain drives for once and score once we are in the RZ. This will keep the D fresh and hungry.

We CAN stop the run, we shown that. Hendrickson CAN get after the passer big time, need others to step up besides him.

As you know Ossai is my pick to be this guy. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2022, 11:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even when Flowers was getting beat it was great coverage. That is all you can ask for going against the great TE's and QB's of 
today. Flowers should really help out Tycen Anderson who is the same body type. Like you say with an improved OL we should 
be able to sustain drives for once and score once we are in the RZ. This will keep the D fresh and hungry.

We CAN stop the run, we shown that. Hendrickson CAN get after the passer big time, need others to step up besides him.

As you know Ossai is my pick to be this guy. We will see.

Yep, Ossai could be huge this year and there will be no shortage of guys pushing him. Hope it brings out his best and he can stay healthy.

Right now, as excited as I am about Ossai, he will be the player we took over Spencer Brown in round 3 until he shows he can contribute.

I love his upside, but it is time to show up the entire season.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2022, 11:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, Ossai could be huge this year and there will be no shortage of guys pushing him.  Hope it brings out his best and he can stay healthy.

Right now, as excited as I am about Ossai, he will be the player we took over Spencer Brown in round 3 until he shows he can contribute.

I love his upside, but it is time to show up the entire season.

Sucks we have only seen him healthy for like a game and a half in the Preseason.

As we all know the only ability that matters is availability. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sucks we have only seen him healthy for like a game and a half in the Preseason.

As we all know the only ability that matters is availability. 

Trae Waynes approves of this message...
Reply/Quote