Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Mock Off-season 4.0
I'm back with another attempt to return the franchise to the dark ages. In new developments since 3.0, it appears Pollack will be back, so there will be no new OL coach in this one. I'm still working on the idea that Callahan gets a HC gig and will need replaced. Once again, I'm using NFLMockDraftDatabase's sim for the draft.

Coaching Hires

Kellen Moore, OC, LAC-Moore winds up on the outs after failing to land the Chargers' HC job himself. Moore had a great run as the Cowboys OC and was the QB coach when Pollack was there, so there is some familiarity there.

Resign

Drew Sample (2 years, $3 mil)-Good reserve/blocking TE.

Marcus Bailey (2 years, $2.5 mil)-Depth/ST's

Tanner Hudson(1 year, $1.2 mil)-Hudson carved out a niche in sub packages this year.

Cody Ford(1 year, $5 mil)-Ford has established himself as the first man off the bench for the OL with his T/G versatility. Also insurance if we whiff on a RT in the draft.

RFA/ERFA Tenders-Trenton Irwin, Jake Browning, Cal Adomitas, Mitchell Wilcox

Cuts

BJ Hill-Hill is a serviceable starter, but better in a rotation coming off the bench, it seems. However, he's paid like a starter. The move saves us $7.2 in salary next year.

UFA

Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami(4 years, $80 mil)-It will be sad to see Reader go, but unfortunately necessary given his age and injury. The Bengals bring in Wilkins as his replacement, as he's one of the top young NT's in the game.

Justin Madubuike, DT, Baltimore(4 years, $80 mil)-Madubuike blew up this year, netting 13 sacks for the Ravens. Still, he's probably the #2 3 tech on the market this year behind Chris Jones. The Bengals spend big to revamp the IDL.

Noah Fant, TE, Seattle (3 years, $24 mil)-With a horrid draft class, the Bengals make a move to shore up the TE position with Fant, who should be the seam threat the offense has packed since Uzomah departed.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Detroit (1 year, $3 mil)-DPJ had a breakout 2022 campaign, racking up over 800 yards while starting 14 games, but this year has been a rough one with him splitting time between the Browns and Lions. DPJ has played on ST's and been a KR/PR, so he should be able to find a role there.

With FA finished, I look to the draft. I definitely want to look for replacements for currently penciled in starters Ford and DPJ, which will definitely be the priority. Depth on the IOL, RB, LB, CB, and NT will also be targets. On to the draft...

#39=Patrick Paul, OT, Houston -Imposing four year starter in Houston's RPO heavy offense, Paul has elite length with a 7' wing span and a finisher's mentality to go with it.

#47=Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina -6'3", 227 pound monster with purported 4.3 speed. There's not a lot of finesse to Legette 's game, making tough catches in traffic and dragging defenders for extra yardage.

#49=Maason Smith, DL, LSU-Freak is the best description for Smith. He's got the size of a NT, but the athletic ability to play anywhere on the DL.

#80=Sedrick Van Pran, IOL, Georgia -A force in the run game already, he'll get a year to to work on his pass pro before moving into the starting lineup in '25.

#115=Braelin Allen, RB, Wisconsin -Bruising 245 pound power RB that's tailor made for the physical AFCN. Could be the thunder to Chase Brown's lightening in a couple years

#147=Junior Colson, LB, Michigan -6'3", 247 pound LB with the size and speed to match up with opposing TE's.

#174=Zemaiah Vaughn, CB Utah-Tall, lanky CB at 6'2", 178.

#195=Josh Proctor, S, Ohio State -Box S who should provide some competition for Scott at the back end of the S room.

#234=Tory Taylor, P, Iowa-Competition for Robbins.

#251=Sheridan Jones, CB, Clemson -Zone CB who probably winds up on the PS.

After a trade up draft in 2.0, I decided to try a trade down in this one, trading #18 to the Giants for their 2 2nd rounders. They missed out on a QB in the first and were presumably moving up for Nix or Penix. Paul was the last OT standing and didn't represent great value, but Legette falling a bit made up for it. I would probably be looking for an Apple/Jones type CB on a one year deal for some added CB depth after this one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks pretty good - but moving down 20 spots for a 2nd rounder is a trade I wouldn't make. I'd rather stay at 18 and take a guy that we need.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 12:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Looks pretty good - but moving down 20 spots for a 2nd rounder is a trade I wouldn't make.  I'd rather stay at 18 and take a guy that we need.

I am typically not a "trade back" guy, but this is a ridiculously stacked draft class.  IMO, most of the guys in that 32-50 range are solidly in the 1st in a normal draft class.  Ideally, I'd like to trade Higgins for a pick, instead, but the sim I use doesn't permit player trades and I am gunshy about a tag/trade with Tee coming off such a bad year.

FWIW, the Bengals came out +40 on the trade value chart for this one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 01:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: I am typically not a "trade back" guy, but this is a ridiculously stacked draft class.  IMO, most of the guys in that 32-50 range are solidly in the 1st in a normal draft class.  Ideally, I'd like to trade Higgins for a pick, instead, but the sim I use doesn't permit player trades and I am gunshy about a tag/trade with Tee coming off such a bad year.

FWIW, the Bengals came out +40 on the trade value chart for this one.

I don;t have a problem trading back - but for that little, it's a bad value.
Reply/Quote
Love the FA and the moves. The Draft just tops it off, getting Paul in a trade back sounds alright. I would like Fuaga more at 18 though.

Might be my only complaint. Love getting Leggette, Maason Smith, Van Pran and Braelin Allen. Tory Taylor would be an upgrade over
Robbins I am sure of it. Well done, like this Mock a ton.

Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm back with another attempt to return the franchise to the dark ages. In new developments since 3.0, it appears Pollack will be back, so there will be no new OL coach in this one. I'm still working on the idea that Callahan gets a HC gig and will need replaced. Once again, I'm using NFLMockDraftDatabase's sim for the draft.

Coaching Hires

Kellen Moore, OC, LAC-Moore winds up on the outs after failing to land the Chargers' HC job himself. Moore had a great run as the Cowboys OC and was the QB coach when Pollack was there, so there is some familiarity there.

Resign

Drew Sample (2 years, $3 mil)-Good reserve/blocking TE.

Marcus Bailey (2 years, $2.5 mil)-Depth/ST's

Tanner Hudson(1 year, $1.2 mil)-Hudson carved out a niche in sub packages this year.

Cody Ford(1 year, $5 mil)-Ford has established himself as the first man off the bench for the OL with his T/G versatility. Also insurance if we whiff on a RT in the draft.

RFA/ERFA Tenders-Trenton Irwin, Jake Browning, Cal Adomitas, Mitchell Wilcox

Cuts

BJ Hill-Hill is a serviceable starter, but better in a rotation coming off the bench, it seems. However, he's paid like a starter. The move saves us $7.2 in salary next year.

UFA

Christian Wilkins, DT, Miami(4 years, $80 mil)-It will be sad to see Reader go, but unfortunately necessary given his age and injury. The Bengals bring in Wilkins as his replacement, as he's one of the top young NT's in the game.

Justin Madubuike, DT, Baltimore(4 years, $80 mil)-Madubuike blew up this year, netting 13 sacks for the Ravens. Still, he's probably the #2 3 tech on the market this year behind Chris Jones. The Bengals spend big to revamp the IDL.

Noah Fant, TE, Seattle (3 years, $24 mil)-With a horrid draft class, the Bengals make a move to shore up the TE position with Fant, who should be the seam threat the offense has packed since Uzomah departed.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Detroit (1 year, $3 mil)-DPJ had a breakout 2022 campaign, racking up over 800 yards while starting 14 games, but this year has been a rough one with him splitting time between the Browns and Lions. DPJ has played on ST's and been a KR/PR, so he should be able to find a role there.

With FA finished, I look to the draft. I definitely want to look for replacements for currently penciled in starters Ford and DPJ, which will definitely be the priority. Depth on the IOL, RB, LB, CB, and NT will also be targets. On to the draft...

#39=Patrick Paul, OT, Houston -Imposing four year starter in Houston's RPO heavy offense, Paul has elite length with a 7' wing span and a finisher's mentality to go with it.

#47=Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina -6'3", 227 pound monster with purported 4.3 speed. There's not a lot of finesse to Legette 's game, making tough catches in traffic and dragging defenders for extra yardage.

#49=Maason Smith, DL, LSU-Freak is the best description for Smith. He's got the size of a NT, but the athletic ability to play anywhere on the DL.

#80=Sedrick Van Pran, IOL, Georgia -A force in the run game already, he'll get a year to to work on his pass pro before moving into the starting lineup in '25.

#115=Braelin Allen, RB, Wisconsin -Bruising 245 pound power RB that's tailor made for the physical AFCN. Could be the thunder to Chase Brown's lightening in a couple years

#147=Junior Colson, LB, Michigan -6'3", 247 pound LB with the size and speed to match up with opposing TE's.

#174=Zemaiah Vaughn, CB Utah-Tall, lanky CB at 6'2", 178.

#195=Josh Proctor, S, Ohio State -Box S who should provide some competition for Scott at the back end of the S room.

#234=Tory Taylor, P, Iowa-Competition for Robbins.

#251=Sheridan Jones, CB, Clemson -Zone CB who probably winds up on the PS.

After a trade up draft in 2.0, I decided to try a trade down in this one, trading #18 to the Giants for their 2 2nd rounders. They missed out on a QB in the first and were presumably moving up for Nix or Penix. Paul was the last OT standing and didn't represent great value, but Legette falling a bit made up for it. I would probably be looking for an Apple/Jones type CB on a one year deal for some added CB depth after this one.

You did a lot of work. The Bengals won’t make that large of an overhaul. IMO. If Callahan leaves Pitcher will absolutely become OC. He doesn’t want to be anywhere else and I’m confident the organization has promised him the OC spot. Nor do I think B J Hill is released. They abhor dead cap. Lou loves B J. I do think they re-sign Reader. I think they sign Noah Fant in FA. Rumors they are finally tired of 1 year fixes at TE. I think they also get a FA at DT. I think they draft a RT round 1. Round 2 I think they go for a RB. If they don’t go for Fant it will be BPA between TE & RB. They will draft a guard round 3.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote