Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Need Blocking. Mostly OT
Letting Whitworth go and the Ogbuhei & Fisher experiment completely failed. This results in poor running lanes and poor pass blocking. The Bengals don't get the most out of Dalton, Green, Boyd, Mixon. It also means the Bengals D ends up on the field too much. Forget about running out the clock, Bengals can't block enough to come close. It also means the other teams QB gets plenty of chances to beat Bengals. Against good teams Bengals blocking has been so bad that Bengals were never in the game. I've seen Bengals call it quits in 3rd quarter just to keep Bengals QB from getting killed. Good teams destroy our O Line to the point the game never should have been played.

In the 1980's the Bengals had a great O Line and went to 2 Super Bowls. The Bengals have not won a play-off game since. Mike Brown on down to the new coaches need to see they will never get a play-off win without good blocking across the board from tackle to tackle. The new coach from Rams should know adding Whitworth got Rams to play-off wins. Without Whitworth Rams coaching doesn't look so hot. The X's and O's of entire playbook blow up as defenses pour through bad Bengals blocking.

So Bengals need Blocking. Mostly OT. Those who can't see that must be the people who say they never get to watch Bengals where they live. If you watch the Bengals, the No Blocking is an issue every week the last few years. As people complain about poor run game or poor passing game, smell the roses and see that it is poor blocking. Right now Bengals could use a bell cow at tackle, they will find trying to put a guard out there or other half assignment moves will be lit up by the good teams again this year. I'm not talking about when Bengals play a bad team and pad their stats. You all know what happens when Bengals play a good team, no blocking so 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. BENGALS NEED BLOCKING.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Ya don't say!
Reply/Quote
You're right, blocking has been terrible, but instead special teams took a turn to the darker side.. I couldn't resist..

[Image: 2011-Mental-Health-humorThe-Peanuts-Gang...alates.jpg]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Letting Whitworth go and seeing the after-effects of that solidified Marvin and his crew as being a bunch of clueless hacks in my eyes. Idiots.
Reply/Quote
Lets overpay an old washed up OT...
Reply/Quote
OK, some of you agree and say everybody knows Bengals need blocking.
So my question then is why is everybody talking about drafting every other position except offensive tackle ?
If we need blocking and everybody knows we need blocking, then don't the Bengals need to draft blocking and early in draft ?
Yet when you mention drafting an OT, that's when people say we have great blockers already.
Yet when I post that we need blocking, everybody agrees and says they know this already
It's a real Catch 22 when you talk blocking but then mention drafting blocking.
So everybody knows we need blocking, except the draft where they want everything but blocking ?????
But so far everybody agrees Bengals need Blocking, especially Offensive Tackle.
The Reds have improved pitching, only because they went out and got pitching in off season.
The Bengals better be getting more blocking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 12:21 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, some of you agree and say everybody knows Bengals need blocking.  
So my question then is why is everybody talking about drafting every other position except offensive tackle ?
If we need blocking and everybody knows we need blocking, then don't the Bengals need to draft blocking and early in draft ?
Yet when you mention drafting an OT, that's when people say we have great blockers already.  
Yet when I post that we need blocking, everybody agrees and says they know this already
It's a real Catch 22 when you talk blocking but then mention drafting blocking.
So everybody knows we need blocking, except the draft where they want everything but blocking ?????
But so far everybody agrees Bengals need Blocking, especially Offensive Tackle.
The Reds have improved pitching, only because they went out and got pitching in off season.
The Bengals better be getting more blocking.

This is the part I haven't heard before.

We need blockers, for sure, but fixing the blocking on offense won't matter when we are giving up 35+ points a game. Blocking is very important, we all agree with you Kevin, but fixing the linebackers is a bigger priority for quicker success.
Reply/Quote
Starts in the trenches, this is where it starts. Turner will need all the help he can get, more so than Tem needs in my opinion. Plus there is not as much of a fall off at Linebacker after the Devins as i initially thought. Mack Wilson, Germaine Pratt, David Long Jr, Cashman, Coney are all arguably just as good. We see this every year with players in the Draft. Some are overhyped, get drafted early and amount to nothing.

OT is rare in that usually a top pick does well in the NFL.

Jawaan Taylor is my top pick for us now at 11. Mel and Todd's Mock draft has us taking him.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 12:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This is the part I haven't heard before.

We need blockers, for sure, but fixing the blocking on offense won't matter when we are giving up 35+ points a game. Blocking is very important, we all agree with you Kevin, but fixing the linebackers is a bigger priority for quicker success.

Kinda what I was thinking. Yes, we need better blocking, that's a fact. Yet our LB corps negate anything positive we do because teams move at will up the middle and bad tackling has plagued this D. Plus, we could use some depth on the DL. We also need another edge rusher. This is why I'm not into the idea of trading Dalton right away. We would be addressing the wrong needs off the bat.

WTS, I wouldn't be upset if we took an OT in the first as long as it was Dillard or Taylor. However, if they are not there, you have to try and hit a home-run in another needed position like LB or Edge. Just my opinion but hoping we have a stellar draft. Probably be taking Friday off so I can sit in the man-cave and get wasted watching the drama unfold.  Cool

Reply/Quote
There will be a good lb there in the 2nd. There won't be a tackle. There will be an unprecedented run on tackles between our picks.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Kinda what I was thinking. Yes, we need better blocking, that's a fact. Yet our LB corps negate anything positive we do because teams move at will up the middle and bad tackling has plagued this D. Plus, we could use some depth on the DL. We also need another edge rusher. This is why I'm not into the idea of trading Dalton right away. We would be addressing the wrong needs off the bat.

WTS, I wouldn't be upset if we took an OT in the first as long as it was Dillard or Taylor. However, if they are not there, you have to try and hit a home-run in another needed position like LB or Edge. Just my opinion but hoping we have a stellar draft. Probably be taking Friday off so I can sit in the man-cave and get wasted watching the drama unfold.  Cool

Love it Harley. Fun times. I think the pick will be either White, Taylor or Wilkins the closer we get to the draft.

All have outstanding character that fill needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:44 PM)Storer50 Wrote: There will be a good lb there in the 2nd. There won't be a tackle. There will be an unprecedented run on tackles between our picks.

I don't know, i think one of Lindstrom, Risner, Tytus Howard, Sharping, Edoga will be around in the 2nd to 3rd and all are good.

Bottom line, there are lots of ways to go in this draft and this draft is a good one for filling our needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:44 PM)Storer50 Wrote: There will be a good lb there in the 2nd.  There won't be a tackle. There will be an unprecedented run on tackles between our picks.

I agree with this, but not completely as you have it stated.  I feel like OT is a higher need than LB, I also feel like it's entirely possible for both of our biggest needs to be met in the first two rounds.  The names attached to those picks may not be the ones we have envisioned in our minds, but still high quality prospects.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The game is won & lost in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
This time next week we will be talking about our studly new tackle depth. We need at least 2 new ones.
Reply/Quote
The reason the Bungles don’t win is the fact they have never valued the OL. This is Mike Brown in a nutshell.
Great shiny pieces, as good or better, then any team in the league. Shit OL, mutes all the shine. When the defense spends an average of 8 minutes more time on the field than the offense, they are worn out. How many times in the last three years did they lose a lead in the fourth quarter? Common effing sense. Great offenses make great defenses. Dominant OLs make a great offense.
Just take a look at the two SB teams this past year. How many sacks did they give up combined? Less than the Bungles as a whole.
Draft the best OL at 11, and 42.
There is no argument, why does Alabama, and now Clemson dominate?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 03:28 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: The reason the Bungles don’t win is the fact they have never valued the OL.  This is Mike Brown in a nutshell.
Great shiny pieces, as good or better, then any team in the league.  Shit OL, mutes all the shine.  When the defense spends an average of 8 minutes more time on the field than the offense, they are worn out.  How many times in the last three years did they lose a lead in the fourth quarter?  Common effing sense.   Great offenses make great defenses.  Dominant OLs make a great offense.
Just take a look at the two SB teams this past year.  How many sacks did they give up combined?  Less than the Bungles as a whole.
Draft the best OL at 11, and 42.
There is no argument, why does Alabama, and now Clemson dominate?

But, but, but If Andy gets killed by an inept O-line it'll give them every excuse in the book to draft a QB next year out of sheer desperation. Or is it shear as in cutting off hair? (DAMMIT! There are just a few words I never seem to get right even after looking them up multiple times..)
And just think..If they have the worst O-line in football history and whatever QB we happen to have at the time accidentally wins more games than not that QB can potentially be viewed as the greatest dodge artist in football history!  You're just not focusing on the possible positive outcomes of sucking enough..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 12:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This is the part I haven't heard before.

Agreed...And I can't help but think our offensive line will be aided by a less predictable scheme.  What I mean is personnel groups and formations dictated run or pass and helped make it easier to defend.  I hope Dalton is given more authority to check in and out of run/pass plays based on what he sees.  

As far as the defense goes, unless we enjoyed watching Dalton execute a great should-be winning drive to only have pitt go right back down the field in 1:40, we need to improve the defense at both DT and LB positions.  The change in scheme from the horrible zone that Austin employed was a big start, but we need better personnel at NT and LB to make the defense playoff-caliber.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 12:21 PM)kevin Wrote: Yet when you mention drafting an OT, that's when people say we have great blockers already.  

Literally no one has ever said that.  Not once.

We've been burned by bad early round oline pics where all probably sick of talking out taking a pic here.  Our lbs have been a weak spot for sometime and are now depleted completely with burfict gone.  

You're not wrong about our need for blocking and yes everyone knows this.  It's not some new revelation.  Also not a revelation, our defense sucks and weak spot is lb.

So we pic our battle s an lb is a sexier position to talk about.

Hopefully those that actually make the decisions will see what's available and what our needs are and make the correct choice whatever position it is they fill first.  Untill then we can all shout whatever we want it no a vacuum.

And on that note I say we take a kicker with our first pick ?
Reply/Quote
Let's hope Marvin is not the equivalent of Withworth in the coaches category.
Reply/Quote