Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals New Defense Coordinator
(01-11-2019, 01:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Did Manuel get fired?

Yeah 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds legit.

Actually, they might be a bit higher.  I re-read the article, and those figures were from around 2011.  It's tough to find current statistics on those figures.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not his alma mater.  He is not making them any better.  He is going to get canned.  If I was him I would jump at the chance to get back in the NFL.

You're not wrong on any of that.  If we offered him that spot, I wouldn't hate it, that's for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:43 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Who can blame them? Stay in ACC where you're a shoe in for ACC title game. That team is stacked for years to come. Only way I'd leave that staff is for a PAC 12 team that is ready to compete. Maybe a BIG team like *Ichigan, depending on how Day works out. But that's a nice gig in Clemson.

No doubt.....bad news for us Seminoles fans. Sad

(01-11-2019, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be a significant drop in pay.  I can't find the exact figures, but he just signed a 6 year, 21M extension at UI.  Average defensive coordinator salary in the NFL is listed as around 850K.

Unless he was led to believe that accepting a DC position would directly and quickly lead him back to a HC position in the NFL, I would think him smarter to stay put and comfortable.

Shocked Damn that's a lot of cheese!

Reply/Quote
Whoever the next DC is, I guess he will be a 4-3 guy. Are there still enough of those guys out there?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:19 PM)McC Wrote: Whoever the next DC is, I guess he will be a 4-3 guy.  Are there still enough of those guys out there?

I would hope the new DC would be of the hybrid variety, use the assets you have to best of their abilities. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I would hope the new DC would be of the hybrid variety, use the assets you have to best of their abilities. 

Okay/  That makes sense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt.....bad news for us Seminoles fans. Sad

Shocked Damn that's a lot of cheese!

And Smith is only the 39th highest paid coach in CFB..

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I would hope the new DC would be of the hybrid variety, use the assets you have to best of their abilities. 

^This, right there.  In the day and age of dynamic offenses, the old style DC that rigidly stick to the format of "base, nickle, dime" of whatever scheme they adhere to, is a style that's quickly losing traction.  In order to be competitive and successful, a modern NFL DC must be as fluid and dynamic with his game planning and scheming as the offenses are.  He must get full utilization of his entire roster.  

A good case in point to study?  Just this past weekend, Gus Bradley and Matt Eberflus both employed a similar game plan and tactics that would be considered "exotic" by hard traditionalist coaches.  The Chargers and Colts were both faced against QBs that can both run and pass the ball well.  They both used Safeties in lieu of LBs, and assigned a "spy" to the opposing QB, in order to keep his running in check.

If you ask me?  As long as the Bengals are looking to go youthful and dynamic with a HC/Offensive mind, then they might as well go the distance and do the same on the defensive side of the ball, as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And Smith is only the 39th highest paid coach in CFB..

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/

I know man, that's crazy what they make these days.  I should have expanded on my post and said "Damn that's a lot of cheese to lose so many games!" LMAO

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you ask me?  As long as the Bengals are looking to go youthful and dynamic with a HC/Offensive mind, then they might as well go the distance and do the same on the defensive side of the ball, as well.

A guy does not have to be young to be innovative.

Just look at Belichick.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A guy does not have to be young to be innovative.

Just look at Belichick.

A case could be made for Wade Phillips out in LA too.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A guy does not have to be young to be innovative.

This is true.  And, with seeing how this is such a "copycat" league, I'm sure many teams will employ similar tactics versus mobile QBs next season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:05 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I’m a buckeye and I want nothing to do with that. Under his watch, the linebacker play at Ohio state has stunk. Wrong gaps, no discipline, bad key reading. No thanks.

Exactly,

Watching the Bengals and Buckeyes all season it was like watching the same defense. LBers MIA
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ^This, right there.  In the day and age of dynamic offenses, the old style DC that rigidly stick to the format of "base, nickle, dime" of whatever scheme they adhere to, is a style that's quickly losing traction.  In order to be competitive and successful, a modern NFL DC must be as fluid and dynamic with his game planning and scheming as the offenses are.  He must get full utilization of his entire roster.  

A good case in point to study?  Just this past weekend, Gus Bradley and Matt Eberflus both employed a similar game plan and tactics that would be considered "exotic" by hard traditionalist coaches.  The Chargers and Colts were both faced against QBs that can both run and pass the ball well.  They both used Safeties in lieu of LBs, and assigned a "spy" to the opposing QB, in order to keep his running in check.

If you ask me?  As long as the Bengals are looking to go youthful and dynamic with a HC/Offensive mind, then they might as well go the distance and do the same on the defensive side of the ball, as well.

Agree, 

The old school base 4-3 with a giant run stuffing MLB just can't get it done in today's NFL. I'm sick of watching us get roasted up the middle by TE's and RB's on little hitch routes and swing passes.
Reply/Quote
My ideal would be Richard but he might be the HC of the Phins or DC for the Cowboys for all we know.

Marinelli if Richard gets promoted to DC or Del Rio would definately make me more than happy.
Reply/Quote
It will be Joe Barry.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 04:13 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: It will be Joe Barry.

Is this a hunch?

Reply/Quote
I'm going WAY out on a limb here. Somebody in the Mike Zimmer mold. A local boy who would put asses in seats and really fire up the defense....

KERRY COOMBS!!
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 05:39 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I'm going WAY out on a limb here. Somebody in the Mike Zimmer mold. A local boy who would put asses in seats and really fire up the defense....

KERRY COOMBS!!

He is under contract and the Titans can block him. 
Reply/Quote