Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals OC Jackson calls out A.J. Green for quitting on near interception
Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson did not like what he saw from A.J. Green during one play in Sunday's win over San Diego, and he let him know about it.

It happened early in the fourth quarter with the Bengals inside the Chargers' 5-yard line. Quarterback Andy Dalton was looking for Green on a quick screen, but his pass was tipped by linebacker Melvin Ingram. As corner Jason Verrett went for the interception, Green didn't exactly hustle to make a play for the ball, although it looked like he also may have slipped on the play. Luckily for Green -- and the Bengals -- Verrett didn't come up with the pick, and the Bengals scored on the very next play to go ahead 24-13.

Regardless of whether Green slipped, Jackson had a simple message for Green.

"It's as simple as that: There's the ball," Jackson said via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "See ball, get ball. It's just what we do. I think the mindset of how we go about things is starting to change, and it has to continue to change as we ratchet this thing up as we keep going."

Asked if he spoke with Green about the play, Jackson responded in the affirmative.

"Yes I have," Jackson said. "I don't miss anything. We need to continue to grow. We're not there yet. We're still a work in progress. But it's fun to have a lot of work to do and be 2-0. To have a lot of work to do and have some of the success we have had. Because what you're selling, guys buy. It makes sense. So we'll just keep chugging away at it and continue to get better."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/bengals-oc-jackson-calls-out-aj-green-for-quitting-on-near-interception/ar-AAeF3KY

I found this article on MSN, and it referenced the Cincinnati Enquirer, but I couldn't find the original article in a cursory search. However I think it's high time that the coaches said something to AJ about his not playing every play at 100% all the way through the whistle. Hopefully this motivates AJ to become even better, and fight more for marginal passes.
Reply/Quote
Can't throw a pass low when a LB is right in your throwing lane. Lobbing a screen is also not a good idea. So moving to another target or throwing it away might have been the better move by Dalton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm glad to see that the coaches feel like everyone here needs to be accountable. That sounds simple enough, but I also understand that the coach here makes now less than 1/10th what the receiver does and his job is not remotely as secure so it can be a fine line. Hue understands that to win it all, he needs 100% of 100% of his guys.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't AJs week with the issues the Ratbirds have in their secondary.

This game is also a great test as to if the Bengals have any letdowns like last season going in to New England 3-0.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 11:40 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Can't throw a pass low when a LB is right in your throwing lane. Lobbing a screen is also not a good idea. So moving to another target or throwing it away might have been the better move by Dalton.

maybe but the point has been getting called out for years now about greens lack of effort on some plays glad to see hue put the boot to the ass.

If green puts in 100% effort every play he truely could be the best in the league stat wise.
Reply/Quote
Great to hear stuff like this. Hue's a great coach--really challenging players to be better in every situation. His play calling has been very good this year too. Couldn't be more happy with him as our OC.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm glad to see that the coaches feel like everyone here needs to be accountable.  That sounds simple enough, but I also understand that the coach here makes now less than 1/10th what the receiver does and his job is not remotely as secure so it can be a fine line.  Hue understands that to win it all, he needs 100% of 100% of his guys.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't AJs week with the issues the Ratbirds have in their secondary.  

This game is also a great test as to if the Bengals have any letdowns like last season going in to New England 3-0.

Their secondary aside from Will Hill is suspect, but Hill is having himself quite a season thus far. Id steer clear of him when passing.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:18 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Their secondary aside from Will Hill is suspect, but Hill is having himself quite a season thus far. Id steer clear of him when passing.

If their secondary is depleted but they still have 1 good guy out there... Green will still get his targets but we could see a monster game from #2, #3 Eifert and Jones as they should be able to win one on ones all day
Reply/Quote
AJ certainly did, yes it was a bad throw but he gave up on the play.

Thank God the DB didn't make the INT.

AJ can't be making these mistakes as our franchise WR making 15 million annually....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I wonder when the league will start putting little cameras on the helmets so you can track video of certain players. I know AJ has had some problem of fighting for or defending the pass but those would be some good clips to see how often it happens. Like running back for the pass, being able to see the DBs coverage from the receivers' perspectives, etc.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:41 PM)corpjet Wrote: AJ certainly did, yes it was a bad throw but he gave up on the play.

AJ can't be making these mistakes as our franchise WR making 15 million annually....

would like to see him make plays like brandon marshal did against the browns. where the ball was picked and he went and took it back hahahahahahahahahaha
Reply/Quote
I know I probably will get a lot of grief for saying this but I commend Hue for saying this because on that play it was true. AJ just kind of watched the ball almost be intercepted while he did nothing. AJ is a great receiver but honestly it is plays like this and all of the drops that is keeping him from being a top 3 receiver in the league. Everyone is always quick to point out mistakes when Andy makes them but it just seems that every time AJ makes a mistake he gets a pass because he is "one of the best in the game at his position." Don't get me wrong I am a huge AJ fan but he needs to be held accountable for his mistakes as much as the next guy. In order for this team to continue winning everyone will have to continue to step up their game and play with the heart and passion that they have been playing. I know it is early but I am excited about this team's chances this year. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I like a little of this sort of constructive criticism.

As for throwing the pass at all, ball placement is really what matters. I don't buy that throwing at AJ Green when he is covered by an LB is a bad thing though.

Reply/Quote
AJ Green = Randy Moss. Kills you when he wants to. If the play doesn't go how he wants it to... meh.
Reply/Quote
My guess is that AJ might say that it was clear he was not going to get to the ball.  Why waste the effort.

My daughter is probably the most talented player on her soccer team (OK I'm biased - but she's good).  I have often criticized her for not putting herself closer to her marks so she has the chance to make a play on the ball.  She says I don't know everything that's going on out there.  But to me what you do without the ball is as important as what you do with the ball.  She'll never listen to me (1 because I'm her father and 2 because she's right - I know a lot less than she does), but I believe I'm right on this.

AJ may be right in his assessment (the one I'm assuming he has made).  But that extra effort would put him in a better position to make a play - if he had to.

I LOVED his game against Pittsburgh last year.  He was on fire, proactive, physical and aggressive.  He was a stud.  I think he could be the # 1 WR in the game if he played like that every game.

Guy needs someone like Jerry Rice, Isaac Curtis, Carl Pickents or Fred Biletnikoff put a bug in his ear.
Reply/Quote
Accountability for everyone. No special treatment. That is exactly what this team needs.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
I mentioned this play in the 'All Things Andy Dalton' thread.

Post 138
Quote:....With that said, one thing I didn't like was AJ giving up on that short inside pass, that was nearly picked. I'm pretty sure I saw in the chat where some were blaming Andy. No way! That was all AJ.

Someone responed that the DE made the play and AJ wasn't at fault.

Hue is correct. AJ gave up on the play and deserves to be called out for it. He's made many spectacular catches in addition to many great games but he cannot allow defenders to make a play on the ball without contest.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 02:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: AJ Green = Randy Moss. Kills you when he wants to. If the play doesn't go how he wants it to... meh.

I have never once seen any attitude from AJ like Moss had.  Not even close.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:41 PM)corpjet Wrote: AJ certainly did, yes it was a bad throw but he gave up on the play.

Wasn't a bad throw. It got tipped.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 02:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: AJ Green = Randy Moss. Kills you when he wants to. If the play doesn't go how he wants it to... meh.

[Image: award.jpg]
Reply/Quote
AJ's refusal to play defense when the DB's get position is what keeps him from actually being elite.
Reply/Quote