Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Bengals OL PFF Postseason Grades
(02-22-2022, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They look at positioning, hand placement, anchor, and all that other stuff.
Just because it may not have resulted in a negative play doesn't mean there weren't negative aspects to the player's performance on the snap.

And that is where PFF gets silly.

A QB can complete 70% of his passes for 400 yards and 4 tds but get a poor PFF rating because they don't like his throwing style.

Remember these are the people who claimed Andy Dalton was better in 2018 than he was in 2015.  It is all just subjective judgements.
Reply/Quote
[quote='BurrowTheGoat' pid='1182558' dateline='1645524874']
Hopkins isn't good. He should not be safe if we can find a replacement. Obviously RG and RT are more pressing but I would like to see us upgrade Hopkins as well whether via the draft by trading up for Linderbaum or sign Jensen or Jones.

Not great at attachments but according to PFF. Billy Price had a better overall grade for the Giants this year than Hopkins.

[/https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
49ers - Rams PFF grades. The 49ers Offensive line is rated overall pretty high.

I don't have PFF to get each 49ers Off lineman PFF scores for that game.

San Francisco would have wanted the offensive line to control the game today. That didn’t happen. No 49ers offensive lineman recorded a PFF pass-blocking grade above 70.0 on first-run analysis of the game, and they averaged fewer than three yards per carry on designed runs.

They broke down late in pass protection, as well. Garoppolo was pressured on seven of his nine fourth-quarter dropbacks, according to PFF’s first-run analysis of the game.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 07:52 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 07:14 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Hopkins isn't good.  He should not be safe if we can find a replacement.  Obviously RG and RT are more pressing but I would like to see us upgrade Hopkins as well whether via the draft by trading up for Linderbaum or sign Jensen or Jones.

Not great at attachments but according to PFF. Billy Price had a better overall grade for the Giants this year than Hopkins.

[/https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings
That's because of run blocking, and Price wasn't still recovering from a big injury like Hopkins was.
In the regular season:
Hopkins - 56.1 pass block, 48.6 run block
Price - 52.5 pass block, 68.0 run block
As pointed out in the OP, Hopkins was a good pass blocker in the postseason, putting up 72.3 PB grade.
Hopkins is always going to be limited based on his ability to run block. But he's a very solid pass protector once healthy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When they can't get a yard, when they need a yard, they suck..

Yup and when you aren't even a little surprised that Joe gets sacked more than any other QB in the NFL that should tell you something too.

This OL gets ZERO push, doesn't open run lanes, can't pass block against NFL players... Maybe HS players though..
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 11:02 AM)M.W. Wrote: Yup and when you aren't even a little surprised that Joe gets sacked more than any other QB in the NFL that should tell you something too.

This OL gets ZERO push, doesn't open run lanes, can't pass block against NFL players... Maybe HS players though..

Ok, that's not true.
Bengals wouldn't have had the 3rd highest rusher in the league if they couldn't open running lanes at all.
It's not like Mixon has breakaway speed. His longest run of the season was only 32 yards.
They definitely don't seem to be good at getting the timely short yardage runs though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think people incorrectly associate that if the defender didn't get a pressure, hit, or sack, the blocking grade should be good.
But that's not all they look at.
They look at positioning, hand placement, anchor, and all that other stuff.
Just because it may not have resulted in a negative play doesn't mean there weren't negative aspects to the player's performance on the snap.

Yes. In the SB our pass block win rate was like 18%. Yet we obviously didn't give up sacks on every play. But the guys got beat a lot.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And that is where PFF gets silly.

A QB can complete 70% of his passes for 400 yards and 4 tds but get a poor PFF rating because they don't like his throwing style.

Remember these are the people who claimed Andy Dalton was better in 2018 than he was in 2015.  It is all just subjective judgements.

Well a QB can throw a 50/50 ball that should get intercepted and the wr makes an amazing play and scores a td.

That said, PFF loves Burrow. I believe he had the highest grade among QBs.

But I agree that some of the ratings are weird. The ones I question most are rb and dt.
Reply/Quote
Well in the end stats matter and we saw little improvement on the Oline, the improvement that moved the needle was Chase and overall defense play.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've been seeing a lot of people trash certain players (mainly Hopkins) for having bad PFF grades, so I wanted to set the record straight on how well or poor the OL actually did in the postseason, according to PFF.

Hopkins - 57.0 overall, 72.3 pass block, 51.4 run block, 1 penalty, 1 sack allowed
Williams - 60.9 overall, 61.6 pass block, 54.3 run block, 1 penalty, 2 sacks allowed
Spain - 46.1 overall, 49.4 pass block, 43.3 run block, 0 penalties, 2 sacks allowed
Adeniji - 37.6 overall, 19.9 pass block(!!), 48.9 run block, 0 penalties, 6 sacks allowed(!!)
Prince - 36.9 overall, 31.8 pass block(!), 52.9 run block, 4 penalties(!), 2 sacks allowed
Carman (39 snaps) - 44.9 overall, 4.2 pass block(!!), 69.9 run block, 1 penalty, 0 sacks allowed

Hopkins was the best pass blocker on the team, followed by Williams.
Adeniji and Prince were atrocious.
Carman was terrible in his limited snaps in pass blocking, but did well in the run game.

I figured some were interested in this, as most only ever see the regular season grade posted, and it's usually only the single cumulative grade.

Not surprised, it was pretty terrible but kind of expected going against the best of the best and these guys being our main
weakness. Hop played much better when he got over the injury, I wouldn't hate it if we stuck with him would just like for us
to upgrade big time especially at RG and RT. Surprised Spain played that bad though as he had a very good regular season.

Still thinking we need to add something like Ryan Jensen, Laken Tomlinson and Morgan Moses or something alike. Pick your
guys, lots of ways we could go. Need to go all out on the OL though and even if we have to add 4 outside FA's and let Spain
go cause of his poor postseason production I am down. Connor Williams at LG would be fine with me too as I think under
Pollack he might clean up his issues with penalties.
Reply/Quote