Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals OL Projected #27
(07-15-2019, 04:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: With Boling retiring, I’d say the starting 5 became a little more solidified. Only camp battle I see is for LG between Jerry and Westerman.

LT - Glenn
LG - Jerry/Westerman
C - Price
RG - Miller
RT- Hart

Jordan as the backup RG and RT.
Hopkins as backup everywhere.
2 spots left for a backup OT and OG. I’m pulling for Sutherland and Dugas, unless a vet is brought in.

Honestly, I think we'll see a veteran brought on to play swing Tackle, as soon as the rookies start proving capable of replacing the high priced veterans around the league.  Some quality guys will get cut, they always do for financial reasons.  The Bengals are just the type of opportunistic bargain shoppers to pick up an aging vet at half the price they would have had to pay him in free agency.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I think we'll see a veteran brought on to play swing Tackle, as soon as the rookies start proving capable of replacing the high priced veterans around the league.  Some quality guys will get cut, they always do for financial reasons.  The Bengals are just the type of opportunistic bargain shoppers to pick up an aging vet at half the price they would have had to pay him in free agency.

I agree. I think several NFL Teams will be interested in Tackles though so there could be competition.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 10:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree. I think several NFL Teams will be interested in Tackles though so there could be competition.

Well, they did just gain some cap space, along with a roster spot..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they did just gain some cap space, along with a roster spot..

Having a ton of leftover cap space means nothing to this team.  They're pretty good at explaining away just about any amount of leftover cap.  They absolutely will not be compelled by that particular factor.

I agree with you about what needs to happen.  A swing tackle is desperately needed.  It will be catastrophic if Glenn misses games.  It might be an improvement if Hart goes down.

It's not a good time in this league to need OTs.  There just aren't that many good ones anymore, and any (that are serviceable) that become free agents will likely have many suitors.  

My memory isn't 100 percent clear, but I don't recall any being available after camp cuts last year.  No decent ones, anyway.  Earl Watford was the "big ticket" OL that hit the market, and he got scooped up pretty quick.  Not awesome.
Reply/Quote