Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Off Season Recap as of June 5th
This is a itemized list taken from Bengals.com transactions. Posted not for the fans on here who will say they know these names already. This is for the fans who maybe don't follow football or Bengals Board 365 days a year and wouldn't mind an off season list.

GONE :
QB-AJ McCarron to Buffalo Bills
DE-Chris Smith to Cleveland Browns
OT-Andre Smith to Arizona Cardinals
HB- Jeremy Hill to New England Patriots
C-Russell Bodine to Buffalo Bills
LB-Kevin Minter to New York Jets
LB-Carl Bradford
LB-Connor Harris
G-Oni Omoile
TE-Scott Orndorff
S-Robenson Therezie

Suspended first 4 games of season. His appeal has already failed :
LB-Vontaze Burfict.
3 of the first 4 games are road games.
Burfict could return in time for 4 of the next 5 games in THE JUNGLE including Pittsburg.

Should add Offensive Coordinator Bill Lazor in his first preseason here
Defensive Coordinator Austin from Detroit new to Bengals
Has Coached on 3 Super Bowl Teams, Seattle, Arizona, Baltimore.
Has learned coaching under Joe Paterno, Lloyd Carr, Mike Holmgren, Ken Whisenhunt, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh.
Trying to fix O Line is new O Line Coach Frank Pollack from Dallas Cowboys.

New or Re-Signed Players :
OT/ OG- Bobby Hart from New York Giants
DT-Chris Baker from Tampa Bay Buccaneers
OT-Cordy Glenn from Buffalo Bills
P-Kevin Huber Bengals re-sign
LB-Preston Brown from Buffalo Bills
TE-Tyler Eifert Bengals re-sign
QB-Matt Barkley. Last team Chicago Bears
C- Billy Price
S-Jesse Bates
DE-Sam Hubbard
LB-Malik Jefferson
HB-Mark Walton
CB-DaVonte Harris
DT-Andrew Brown
CB-Darius Phillips
QB-Logan Woodside
G/T-Rod Taylor
WR-Auden Tate
TE-Moritz Bohringer
WR-Ka'Raun White
WR-Davonte Boyd
DE-Gaelin Elmore
OT-Austin Fleer
HB-Quinton Flowers
TE-Jordan Franks
S-Trayvon Henderson
LB-Junior Joseph
HB-Ray Lawry
DE-Ja'von Rolland Jones
LB-Chris Worley
S-Tyrice Beverette
C-Brad Lundblade
DT-Chris Okoye

I should point out that much has been made out of the RT position
Names that are here as Tackles are :
Jake Fisher
Austin Fleer
Cordy Glenn slated for Left Tackle
Bobby Hart who could be a starting Guard
Javarius Leamon
Justin Murray
Cedrick Ogbuehi
Kent Perkins
Rod Taylor
It's important to note Fisher & Ogbuehi still here to be coached up by new O Line Coach from Dallas Cowboys
One could earn RT with the other as a possible Guard. Look for Pollack to play only the best blockers from preseason.

Besides new Centers, there are returning Centers
Besides new Guards there are returning Guards
Besides new Tackles, there are returning Tackles
For this coach from Dallas Cowboys to fix worst blocking in NFL in 2017

I must also point out Bengals no longer bringing in undrafted players close to Cincy on the cheap
Use to be we saw many local college players fill out training camp as punching bags, no more
The players brought in are from all over and the scouts and coaches have a reason for them besides just close to Cincy
These coaches must see something in them to bring them in from all over USA

So it looks like a very interesting and competitive Training Camp and Preseason this Summer
Just a quick update and recap on June 5th of baseball, swimming, vacations and other things.
I will include that adding to the depth at WR is Boyd scored the winning TD Bomb in last game to beat Baltimore.
That pass from Dalton to Boyd remains last game winning play going into 2018.
This team is starting to have depth at positions again, which you need to make play-offs.
Since many of the coaches who started 2017 very badly are gone, 2018 should be a preseason of competitive changes.
The Team promised many changes after the 2017 season to get back to winning.
2018 should look like a different team of plays and players than the team that flopped starting 2017.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Nicely done Kevin and yet with all of the above some of us are still bored out of our minds and we still don't have a definitive list of Hooeywood actors and actresses to portray us in the upcoming feature attraction about our lives as Bengals fans.  Yes! It'll be just that exciting. I can't wait. 

Actually I can wait. I'm looking forward to the new season. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 05:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: Nicely done Kevin and yet with all of the above some of us are still bored out of our minds and we still don't have a definitive list of Hooeywood actors and actresses to portray us in the upcoming feature attraction about our lives as Bengals fans.  Yes! It'll be just that exciting. I can't wait. 

Actually I can wait. I'm looking forward to the new season. 

Starring Robert Duvall as grampahol...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 04:35 AM)kevin Wrote: This is a itemized list taken from Bengals.com transactions. Posted not for the fans on here who will say they know these names already. This is for the fans who maybe don't follow football or Bengals Board 365 days a year and wouldn't mind an off season list.

Should add Offensive Coordinator Bill Lazor in his first preseason here
Defensive Coordinator Austin from Detroit new to Bengals
Has Coached on 3 Super Bowl Teams, Seattle, Arizona, Baltimore.
Has learned coaching under Joe Paterno, Lloyd Carr, Mike Holmgren, Ken Whisenhunt, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh.
Trying to fix O Line is new O Line Coach Frank Pollack from Dallas Cowboys.

In addition to the new coordinators and OL coach Frank Pollack, also new on the coaching staff are

Secondary coach- Daronte Jones
Defensive Assitant- Matt Raich
Wide Receiver Coach-Bob Bicknell ( who has to bring up someone other than Green)
QB Coach- Alex Van Pelt

4 other coaches are only in their 2nd year with the team

Gelling among the coaching staff will need to be quick

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 12:32 PM)jason Wrote: Starring Robert Duvall as grampahol...

Hilarious

(06-05-2018, 02:48 PM)pally Wrote: In addition to the new coordinators and OL coach Frank Pollack, also new on the coaching staff are

Secondary coach- Daronte Jones
Defensive Assitant- Matt Raich
Wide Receiver Coach-Bob Bicknell ( who has to bring up someone other than Green)
QB Coach- Alex Van Pelt

4 other coaches are only in their 2nd year with the team

Gelling among the coaching staff will need to be quick

Have to list these guys for sure. I think Pollack, Van Pelt and Bicknell could all have a huge impact for us in a great
way once they as you say gel. It will take some time i am sure but once it starts to happen i think we will be a tough
team for any team to play this year. Made some great moves.

More then this team is getting credit for. Will surprise the talking heads pretty sure barring injuries.
Reply/Quote
How can you not mention the fact that a healthy, focused John Ross would be like getting an extra first round pick this year.

For a while he was all a lot of people would talk about because they could rip Marvin, or rip Ross, or rip the front office over picking him. But now that Ross has admitted that Marvin had legit reasons not to play him and all the news about his heath is positive the amount of conversation about him has dropped off.

Even if he just has the type of seasons that Marvin Jones had here (50-60 catches, 700-800 yds) he could have a huge impact on our offense
Reply/Quote
Although it was certainly listed under offseason changes here, the massive overhaul to the offensive line and the blocking scheme (and coach) is the single greatest change this team made for some time.

Lazor looked at what wasn't working and who wasn't working and came up with a plan. An injury at the end of the season to Ced forced Boling outside and gave Westerman and Redmond some much-needed evaluation time. Both looked to be significant upgrades over Hopkins, at the very least. I am thrilled we have both of them to compete for the RG position this year, as it not only will improve both of them, but covers the team better in the event of an injury.

Billy Price is a massive upgrade over Bodine. He is not only arguably the best at his position coming out of college, but he was a true leader at OSU and that is something this team has needed since Whit headed to the West Coast.

Cordy Glenn is a proven veteran that is another massive upgrade over his predecessor, Ced.

Boling really proved his versatility by starting and playing very well at LT last year. A small part of me wonders if the team wouldn't be better served with Boling at RT and Westerman at LG, with Redmond at RG. If nothing else, Boling gives the team some flexibility in the event of an injury.

RT I am less enthused about, as it seems like they are throwing a lot of bodies against the wall and hoping one sticks. My guess of what is competing there is that Fisher will win the job and, hopefully, can be a solid contributor with a clean bill of health.

The mere adaptation of a different scheme had 100 yard rushing days for both Mixon and Gio down the stretch last year. With better talent and a more aggressive scheme, I think there could be substantial improvements in the rushing attack.

Which leads me to the final and most important point: Andy Dalton. He has never really had a great rushing attack here, and he has proven time and time again that when he is given time, he can pick teams apart. A healthy Eifert and Ross could be huge upgrades, but more than anything the Bengals have taken the steps to address a horrible offensive line and I can't wait to see the dividends.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 06:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although it was certainly listed under offseason changes here, the massive overhaul to the offensive line and the blocking scheme (and coach) is the single greatest change this team made for some time.

Lazor looked at what wasn't working and who wasn't working and came up with a plan.  An injury at the end of the season to Ced forced Boling outside and gave Westerman and Redmond some much-needed evaluation time.  Both looked to be significant upgrades over Hopkins, at the very least.  I am thrilled we have both of them to compete for the RG position this year, as it not only will improve both of them, but covers the team better in the event of an injury.  

Billy Price is a massive upgrade over Bodine.  He is not only arguably the best at his position coming out of college, but he was a true leader at OSU and that is something this team has needed since Whit headed to the West Coast.  

Cordy Glenn is a proven veteran that is another massive upgrade over his predecessor, Ced.  

Boling really proved his versatility by starting and playing very well at LT last year.  A small part of me wonders if the team wouldn't be better served with Boling at RT and Westerman at LG, with Redmond at RG.  If nothing else, Boling gives the team some flexibility in the event of an injury.  

RT I am less enthused about, as it seems like they are throwing a lot of bodies against the wall and hoping one sticks.  My guess of what is competing there is that Fisher will win the job and, hopefully, can be a solid contributor with a clean bill of health.  

The mere adaptation of a different scheme had 100 yard rushing days for both Mixon and Gio down the stretch last year.  With better talent and a more aggressive scheme, I think there could be substantial improvements in the rushing attack.  

Which leads me to the final and most important point:  Andy Dalton.  He has never really had a great rushing attack here, and he has proven time and time again that when he is given time, he can pick teams apart.  A healthy Eifert and Ross could be huge upgrades, but more than anything the Bengals have taken the steps to address a horrible offensive line and I can't wait to see the dividends.
I've thought the same thing about Boling.   I thought when he was playing LT he would be victimized by a good bull rush, but he held up to Suggs more than well enough.   I think he had problems with Ziggy Ansah though.

But If he was able to stay at left tackle, and we played Westerman and Redmond at LG & RG respectively, leaving Glenn at RT I think we'd have a really dynamite OL.

And nice post by the way.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you not mention the fact that a healthy, focused John Ross would be like getting an extra first round pick this year.

For a while he was all a lot of people would talk about because they could rip Marvin, or rip Ross, or rip the front office over picking him.  But now that Ross has admitted that Marvin had legit reasons not to play him and all the news about his heath is positive the amount of conversation about him has dropped off.

Even if he just has the type of seasons that Marvin Jones had here (50-60 catches, 700-800 yds) he could have a huge impact on our offense

Yes, Ross really could be the X-factor this year.

(06-06-2018, 06:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although it was certainly listed under offseason changes here, the massive overhaul to the offensive line and the blocking scheme (and coach) is the single greatest change this team made for some time.

Lazor looked at what wasn't working and who wasn't working and came up with a plan.  An injury at the end of the season to Ced forced Boling outside and gave Westerman and Redmond some much-needed evaluation time.  Both looked to be significant upgrades over Hopkins, at the very least.  I am thrilled we have both of them to compete for the RG position this year, as it not only will improve both of them, but covers the team better in the event of an injury.  

Billy Price is a massive upgrade over Bodine.  He is not only arguably the best at his position coming out of college, but he was a true leader at OSU and that is something this team has needed since Whit headed to the West Coast.  

Boling really proved his versatility by starting and playing very well at LT last year.  A small part of me wonders if the team wouldn't be better served with Boling at RT and Westerman at LG, with Redmond at RG.  If nothing else, Boling gives the team some flexibility in the event of an injury.  

RT I am less enthused about, as it seems like they are throwing a lot of bodies against the wall and hoping one sticks.  My guess of what is competing there is that Fisher will win the job and, hopefully, can be a solid contributor with a clean bill of health.  

The mere adaptation of a different scheme had 100 yard rushing days for both Mixon and Gio down the stretch last year.  With better talent and a more aggressive scheme, I think there could be substantial improvements in the rushing attack.  

Which leads me to the final and most important point:  Andy Dalton.  He has never really had a great rushing attack here, and he has proven time and time again that when he is given time, he can pick teams apart.  A healthy Eifert and Ross could be huge upgrades, but more than anything the Bengals have taken the steps to address a horrible offensive line and I can't wait to see the dividends.

Great post SHRacer. Pretty much summed up my thoughts about the O-line to a T.

Boling at RT should be a thought man. I think he played very good against Suggs at LT and he is a good run blocker
and can pull block very well. Westerman is more of a LG then a RG anyways from everything i have seen and Redmond
is more of a road grading RG. The O-line could very well look like this opening day....

LT - Cordy Glenn
LG - Christian Westerman
C - Billy Price
RG - Alex Redmond
RT - Clint Boling
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 12:32 PM)jason Wrote: Starring Robert Duvall as grampahol...

Not exactly my doppleganger . I still have a babyface even at my age. Very few people guess my age correctly.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 06:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Not exactly my doppleganger . I still have a babyface even at my age. Very few people guess my age correctly.. 

So, this isn't you?

[Image: funny_face_old_man34_normal.jpg]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, this isn't you?

[Image: funny_face_old_man34_normal.jpg]

LMAO! Haven't seen that for awhile. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2018, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: LMAO! Haven't seen that for awhile. Hilarious

That's what my wife said. I hate getting fat!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you not mention the fact that a healthy, focused John Ross would be like getting an extra first round pick this year.

For a while he was all a lot of people would talk about because they could rip Marvin, or rip Ross, or rip the front office over picking him.  But now that Ross has admitted that Marvin had legit reasons not to play him and all the news about his heath is positive the amount of conversation about him has dropped off.

I never met one coach who sat players who were better that get paid big bucks to win. The myth ML doe snot play healthy rookies has also been rebuked over and over.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Good post
Reply/Quote
Great post.

Regardless of what Bengal bashing national pundits say, I think this has been one of the best off seasons for Bengal management in my memory.

Lots of very uncharacteristic changes and actions taken to improve the team.

I think the impact of Van Pelt on Dalton combined with better running game, the return of Eifert, and the development of Ross could have massive impacts.
Reply/Quote