Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Offense
Let me first start out by saying I love this team. I love the coaching staff. This isn't really a criticism of the players, the staff, or the team.

That being said, there is still SOMETHING that is just bugging me about the way this offense operates.

Maybe I am spoiled or something, but it just seems like this offense goes into lulls sometimes. The first half against the Bucs is what I am talking about - where it just seems like things are so much harder than they should be.

I was one of the first ones to complain early in the season about how we need to sustain drives and how we can't just rely on the explosive plays like we did last year - now I feel like this offense is lacking explosive plays and we don't take enough shots down field.

Again, this isn't a criticism and I think the offense has been fine for the most part...but Joe and the team talked about how the offense has "another level" they can get to - but it seems to me like they have almost taken a step back in recent weeks.

What do you guys think? Does the offense have another level...and if they do what exactly does that look like and can they get there?

To me it's marrying the long sustaining drives (which they have been good at) with the explosive plays. Once that happens, I think they will be on that level they are looking for.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Let me first start out by saying I love this team. I love the coaching staff. This isn't really a criticism of the players, the staff, or the team.

That being said, there is still SOMETHING that is just bugging me about the way this offense operates.

Maybe I am spoiled or something, but it just seems like this offense goes into lulls sometimes. The first half against the Bucs is what I am talking about - where it just seems like things are so much harder than they should be.

I was one of the first ones to complain early in the season about how we need to sustain drives and how we can't just rely on the explosive plays like we did last year - now I feel like this offense is lacking explosive plays and we don't take enough shots down field.

Again, this isn't a criticism and I think the offense has been fine for the most part...but Joe and the team talked about how the offense has "another level" they can get to - but it seems to me like they have almost taken a step back in recent weeks.

What do you guys think? Does the offense have another level...and if they do what exactly does that look like and can they get there?

To me it's marrying the long sustaining drives (which they have been good at) with the explosive plays. Once that happens, I think they will be on that level they are looking for.

When was the last time this bengals offense has been healthy together?

Chase missed extended time
Then hurst, Higgins and boyd.
Higgins and boyd played yesterday, but not 100%.

I think it’s coming together, and will continue to do so. They have been limited recently with injuries and adjusting game plans on the fly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yesterday, specifically, there was a lot of defensive holding not getting called early on. Once the officials rectified that, our receivers started getting a little more separation. There were a few breakdowns up front yesterday too

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yesterday, specifically, there was a lot of defensive holding not getting called early on. Once the officials rectified that, our receivers started getting a little more separation. There were a few breakdowns up front yesterday too

Very good points. 

Also, this is a weird point, but I feel like our offensive weapons visually struggle more on natural turf fields than synthetic. It looked like our receivers and backs were really having problems cutting and were slipping. 
Reply/Quote
I think Zac was screwing with the Bucs yesterday.

1st Half: "Ok, lemme see what you got. Hit me..." *ties hands behind back*
2nd Half: "Ok, my turn. And I don't care if you try to defend yourself." *proceeds to land a swift kick to the nuts*
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Very good points. 

Also, this is a weird point, but I feel like our offensive weapons visually struggle more on natural turf fields than synthetic. It looked like our receivers and backs were really having problems cutting and were slipping. 

It was CERTAINLY an issue in Pittsburgh. I noticed it some yesterday as well. Good point. Last week was just crazy with Boyd and Higgins going down essentially before the game even started. Nice adjustments from the coaches and players to soldier through it. Speaking of soldiering, shout out to TB for toughing it out yesterday and getting a few critical catches along the way.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Let me first start out by saying I love this team. I love the coaching staff. This isn't really a criticism of the players, the staff, or the team.

It's a fair question.  There was a time early in the year where they were doing next to nothing in their first two "scripted" drives.  That being said, if you watch games around the league, EVERY team has "lulls" in performance, usually on both sides of the ball.  It could just be a lack of focus, some nagging injuries, travel, fighting illness, there are tons of reasons for it.

The key, however, is to be able to snap out of it and not let it carry over from one half to the next or even to the next game.  Sometimes, I think teams are just throwing all sorts of new looks at Burrow, and here he is, 40 starts in to his NFL career, and I can honestly say that I think if the team can keep it close, he will generally figure it out in one half or less.  

One thing I would love to see is some hurry up in the non-two minute drill.  Don't give the other team a chance to substitute.  Attack.  See if you can't get an extra possession (if you got the opening kickoff) by scoring quickly at some point in the half.  I know the whole "keep their offensive off the field", but you can't get turnovers that way, either.  And this team is generating turnovers.  CTB AGAIN damn near got his first, and Apple was really close too.  Flowers and Pratt had huge INTs.  
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:38 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: When was the last time this bengals offense has been healthy together?

Chase missed extended time
Then hurst, Higgins and boyd.
Higgins and boyd played yesterday, but not 100%.

I think it’s coming together, and will continue to do so.  They have been limited recently with injuries and adjusting game plans on the fly.

Mixon also had missed time.

Ideally, you want 350+ yards of total offense in a game, 24+ points a game.
Bengals only needed 237 total yards of offense yesterday, but they put up 34 points.
Don't forget too that the Bucs are a Top 10 defense. 10th in Points Allowed, 7th in Yards Allowed.

Expect similar these next few weeks.
NE, BUF, and BAL are all Top 10 defenses.
As long as Bengals are finding ways to get points and win, that's ultimately what matters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's a fair question.  There was a time early in the year where they were doing next to nothing in their first two "scripted" drives.  That being said, if you watch games around the league, EVERY team has "lulls" in performance, usually on both sides of the ball.  It could just be a lack of focus, some nagging injuries, travel, fighting illness, there are tons of reasons for it.

The key, however, is to be able to snap out of it and not let it carry over from one half to the next or even to the next game.  Sometimes, I think teams are just throwing all sorts of new looks at Burrow, and here he is, 40 starts in to his NFL career, and I can honestly say that I think if the team can keep it close, he will generally figure it out in one half or less.  

One thing I would love to see is some hurry up in the non-two minute drill.  Don't give the other team a chance to substitute.  Attack.  See if you can't get an extra possession (if you got the opening kickoff) by scoring quickly at some point in the half.  I know the whole "keep their offensive off the field", but you can't get turnovers that way, either.  And this team is generating turnovers.  CTB AGAIN damn near got his first, and Apple was really close too.  Flowers and Pratt had huge INTs.  

I'd love this. More up tempo. They made it look so easy when they were doing it in the two minute drill yesterday. The opponents DL was visually tired and they really gave Joe more time in the pocket. 
Reply/Quote

Certainly the slow starts and lulls are there. Studying Joe at LSU he started slow there. He’s a rhythm QB for sure. A better run game solves a lot of issues.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'd love this. More up tempo. They made it look so easy when they were doing it in the two minute drill yesterday. The opponents DL was visually tired and they really gave Joe more time in the pocket. 

Yep!  And the way the Bengal's WRs block, you could put two WRs, two TEs (or an extra OT in Adenijii) and a single RB.  Then just pound them with Mixon or Perine, but keep them honest with short, high % passes.  Don't let them sub out from their pass defense and pound them. 
Reply/Quote
This team does have a problem completing four entire quarters of football playing on all cylinders. But to be fair I don't think any team really does super good all 4 quarters they are going to have lulls in most games. Sometimes Buffalo and Kansas City are like that, which is why they are so scary to everyone they can just look completely unstoppable at times. They have defensive lulls though and this year they've definitely had hiccups all over the place.

Philly kind of seems like the scariest team of the year as they've been pretty dominant for most of their quarters. Something seems off with them though. They are certainly good, but I think they had a weak schedule and probably get upset in the playoffs when a strong team gets up on them early and they have to rely on Hurts to win the game with his arm.
Reply/Quote
One thing I noticed the Bengals were trying to get to the edges in the run game like San Francisco did against Tampa Bay the week before. The Bengals didn't have nearly as much success.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Running game went back to being dog crap. Thankfully the defense put Burrow in good field position in the second half.

LC continues to get abused by pass rushers
Reply/Quote
Sometimes it’s just one mistake or one unlucky break and it throws everything off balance for a little while. We actually looked great on that opening drive but a tipped ball resulted in a pick. Then a 3 and out the 2nd series and the offense can’t get going again until right before halftime.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Running game went back to being dog crap. Thankfully the defense put Burrow in good field position in the second half.

LC continues to get abused by pass rushers

They were running more outside zone/outside runs this game for some reason. We have tried to make it work all year and it's just not there. 

I hope they give up on it 100% and just go to more gap stuff - it has worked out so much better. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:13 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Philly kind of seems like the scariest team of the year as they've been pretty dominant for most of their quarters. Something seems off with them though. They are certainly good, but I think they had a weak schedule and probably get upset in the playoffs when a strong team gets up on them early and they have to rely on Hurts to win the game with his arm.

The Eagles have the best offensive line in football and second place isn't even close. Pair that with a dual threat option QB with good deep accuracy and a couple great weapons on the boundary you have a scary offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
How about that sick underhand shovel in the RedZone that should have been picked. Moron just batted it down
Reply/Quote
What baffled me about the game the most is why we seemed to go to stretch run play to the outside using a wide zone blocking scheme. When they lost their best inside run stuffer in Vera did our coaches not get the memo?

That type of blocking had Mixon at 2 yards per carry early in the year why go back to it?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 12:28 PM)Synric Wrote: The Eagles have the best offensive line in football and second place isn't even close. Pair that with a dual threat option QB with good deep accuracy and a couple great weapons on the boundary you have a scary offense.

They've still played a very shitty schedule. The 3 best teams they have played are the Vikings, Titans, and Packers. 

Vikings are the worst good team I've seen in a long time. The packers are extremely mediocre, and they played the Titans during their current slump where they just look god awful.

Also AJ Brown is just so damn good. Titans should have kept him.
Reply/Quote