Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Offensive and Defensive Balance
So, I had a little free time today and looked at some stats on NFL.com for the Top 4 Offenses and Defenses (in points per game). When you look at the teams that the top 4 have played, the results are rather interesting.

Top 4 Offenses:

Arizona: Played 4 defenses in the top half of the league.
   New England: Played 5 defenses in the top half of the league.
   Carolina: Played 3 defenses in the top half of the league.
   Cincinnati: Played 7 defenses in the top half of the league

Top 4 Defenses:

Cincinnati: Played 7 offenses in the top half of the league.
   Minnesota: Played 4 offenses in the top half of the league.
   Carolina: Played 3 offenses in the top half of the league.
   Denver: Played 6 offenses in the top half of the league.

Not only are the Bengals in the Top 4 offensively and defensively (in points per game), but they have done it against higher quality opponents than the other teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good post, interesting stats.

We have the most well rounded football team out there I like to believe. Arizone is a close second, then Carolina.

Arizona can throw well, but just lost Chris Johnson and not so sure how their run game will be.
Carolina can run well, but they don't have many bonafide playmakers on the outside.

It's nice we can do both, run and pass, while also having a great defense. We really should win this superbowl hah.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:51 PM)Earendil Wrote: So, I had a little free time today and looked at some stats on NFL.com for the Top 4 Offenses and Defenses (in points per game). When you look at the teams that the top 4 have played, the results are rather interesting.

Top 4 Offenses:

Top 4 Defenses:

Not only are the Bengals in the Top 4 offensively and defensively (in points per game), but they have done it against higher quality opponents than the other teams.

The Kitty bowl is coming....
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:51 PM)Earendil Wrote: So, I had a little free time today and looked at some stats on NFL.com for the Top 4 Offenses and Defenses (in points per game). When you look at the teams that the top 4 have played, the results are rather interesting.

Top 4 Offenses:

Top 4 Defenses:

The Bengals are actually the #1 scoring defense in the NFL and the #3 offense.  

This is great research, and it helps prove the point that the Bengals are more "battle tested" than many of the other teams in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 05:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Good post, interesting stats.

We have the most well rounded football team out there I like to believe. Arizone is a close second, then Carolina.

Arizona can throw well, but just lost Chris Johnson and not so sure how their run game will be.
Carolina can run well, but they don't have many bonafide playmakers on the outside.

It's nice we can do both, run and pass, while also having a great defense. We really should win this superbowl hah.

I'd heard that they lost Johnson.  I don't know who their back up is, but if that severely impacts their running game, then defenses can pin their ears back and tee off on Palmer. As far as Carolina is concerned, if you can shut down their run game and bracket Olsen, they are going to have a rough time.  Their receivers wouldn't be starters on at least half the other teams in the league.

(12-01-2015, 07:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Bengals are actually the #1 scoring defense in the NFL and the #3 offense.  

This is great research, and it helps prove the point that the Bengals are more "battle tested" than many of the other teams in the NFL.  

We've heard from a lot of talking heads that they could be the most complete team in the league, and this backs it up.  I think if they can get past the first playoff game, then they could run the table.  They just have to get past that mental hurdle.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 11:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: We've heard from a lot of talking heads that they could be the most complete team in the league, and this backs it up.  I think if they can get past the first playoff game, then they could run the table.  They just have to get past that mental hurdle.

This statement annoyed me, but it is true.  The whole hatred for the Brown family for being cheap in the 80s and 90s isn't this team's fault.  But the 0-4 playoff history is all theirs.  There are legitimate reasons for each loss, but there is an absolute mental hurdle for this team in that first playoff game.  

The good thing is, this team has knocked down mental hurdle after mental hurdle this season.  The playoff game will just be one more.  I honestly believe it will end up being one of the teams like the Texans or KC.  I really don't think Denver will do it with Osweiler, nor will the Colts have any juice.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 05:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The Kitty bowl is coming....

I can get on board with this,honestly packers and Seahawks are the only teams they have played. Beat colts by 3. So yea bring cam on. We was a missed kick away last year.  Cool
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 11:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'd heard that they lost Johnson.  I don't know who their back up is, but if that severely impacts their running game, then defenses can pin their ears back and tee off on Palmer. As far as Carolina is concerned, if you can shut down their run game and bracket Olsen, they are going to have a rough time.  Their receivers wouldn't be starters on at least half the other teams in the league.

We've heard from a lot of talking heads that they could be the most complete team in the league, and this backs it up.  I think if they can get past the first playoff game, then they could run the table.  They just have to get past that mental hurdle.
David Johnson is their back now, after losing Ellington and Chris Johnson. 

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 08:48 AM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I can get on board with this,honestly packers and Seahawks are the only teams they have played. Beat colts by 3. So yea bring cam on. We was a missed kick away last year.  Cool

we will be the giants to their undefeated season muhahahahaha
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 11:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: As far as Carolina is concerned, if you can shut down their run game and bracket Olsen, they are going to have a rough time.  Their receivers wouldn't be starters on at least half the other teams in the league.

Last time they beat us because Cam ran wild (17 runs for 107 yards).  Apparently that was just a mistake in the reads our defense was making.  If we can address that then we will be fine.  We would have shut them down last year if not for all the big runs by Newton.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last time they beat us because Cam ran wild (17 runs for 107 yards).  Apparently that was just a mistake in the reads our defense was making.  If we can address that then we will be fine.  We would have shut them down last year if not for all the big runs by Newton.

They have done a decent job this year against mobile quarterbacks (Wilson, Jen, and Manziel), so I think they would be able to contain Cam.
Reply/Quote

Top 4 Offenses:

Top 4 Defenses:

Good post and info!!!  Thanks!!

That is re-assuring to see that not only are we a well balanced team, but that we have gone up against better competition and done well.  There is no reason we can't continue down that same path, all the way to the Super Bowl.  Now, let's get it done!!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 10:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we will be the giants to their undefeated season muhahahahaha

Wouldn't that be sweet them win out to the Super Bowl and lose to bengals. Media would be sick.  Smirk

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 02:17 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Wouldn't that be sweet them win out to the Super Bowl and lose to bengals. Media would be sick.  Smirk

Cam Newton is a big play machine, he embraces the spotlight.  I personally don't want any part of trying to break up a perfect season.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last time they beat us because Cam ran wild (17 runs for 107 yards).  Apparently that was just a mistake in the reads our defense was making.  If we can address that then we will be fine.  We would have shut them down last year if not for all the big runs by Newton.

Cam has never beaten the bengals...!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 03:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cam has never beaten the bengals...!!!

No 2010 before last season was last match up. Pretty sure it was clausen?

Edit
That's post is about your quote  xeno 

Reply/Quote
A quick search found this

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/teamvsteam?opp=5

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 03:32 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: No 2010 before last season was last match up. Pretty sure it was clausen?

Edit
That's post is about your quote  xeno 

yeah they were drafted the same year...

We Played the NFCW 2011
NFCE 2012
NFCN 2013
NFCS 2014
NFCW 2015

Cam and Dalton tied lol
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 03:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah they were drafted the same year...

We Played the NFCW 2011
NFCE 2012
NFCN 2013
NFCS 2014
NFCW 2015

Cam and Dalton tied lol

Yea I couldn't remember but 1game between them. 

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 03:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cam has never beaten the bengals...!!!

:hail: :hail: XENOMORPH PROVES FREDTOAST WRONG!!!!!!!! :hail: :hail:
Reply/Quote