Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Offseason, FA and Mock
Bengals Off-season Scenario

I am going to set up this scenario for you.  And let me lead it off with this is a best case scenario for me.  In free agency I made the moves you see below.  Most notable, and probably the two most jaw dropping moves are Bodine and McCarron.  I resigned Bodine before he hit the open market, but planned to make a move for Richburg.  As far as McCarron goes, I plan on using the franchise tag and extending him long term as the starter for the Bengals.  You may be screaming “We already have a lot of money committed to Andy!!!.”  Well you would be right… but in this scenario, not for long.

In the draft, I have us trading back with Arizona for their 1st and 2nd round picks.  This allows them to jump up and take a QB that is sliding a little.  I also have us unloading Dalton and our 2nd round pick for both of the Bills first round picks and their 2nd.  This would award us with 3 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, 2 3rd round picks, 1 4th round pick, 2 5th round picks, 1 6th round pick and 3 7th round picks.  The rest is spelled out below.  Enjoy.

Free Agency:

Cut:
Adam Jones
Michael Johnson
Brandon Lafell
Vincent Rey
Randy Bullock

Re-Sign:
McCarron (18 mil per year/4 years: 10.8 mil cap hit)
Eifert (6 mil per year/3 years)
Bodine (3.75 mil per year/3 years)
Smith (2.25 mil per year/3 years)

Sign:
DJ Hayden (2.25 mil per year/3 years)
Jack Mewhort (5 mil per year/4 years: 3 mil cap hit)
Weston Richburg (8 mil per year/5 years: 5 mil cap hit)
Austin Pasztor (4 mil per year/4 years: 2.8 mil cap hit)

Draft:

Round 1 Pick 15 (ARI):  Nelson, Quenton, OG, Notre Dame
Round 1 Pick 21 (BUF):  Jackson, Josh, CB, Iowa
Round 1 Pick 22 (BUF):  Okorafor, Chukwuma, OT, Western Michigan
Round 2 Pick 15 (ARI):  Jefferson, Malik, ILB, Texas
Round 2 Pick 21 (BUF):  Phillips, Harrison, DT, Stanford
Round 3 Pick 13:  Holmes, Jalyn, DE, Ohio State
Round 3 Pick 36: Falk, Luke (QB) Washington State
Round 4 Pick 12:  Gesicki, Mike, TE, Penn State
Round 5 Pick 14:  Gallup, Michael (WR) Colorado State
Round 5 Pick 33: Whitehead, Jordan, FS, Pittsburgh
Round 6 Pick 13:  Carlson, Daniel, K, Auburn
Round 7 Pick 31:  Phillips, Darius, CB, Western Michigan
Round 7 Pick 34: Wadley, Akrum (RB) Iowa
Round 7 Pick 35: Flowers, Dimitri (FB) Oklahoma

Depth Chart:
QB: McCarron, Falk, Driskel
RB: Mixon, Bernard, Wadley
FB: Flowers, Hewitt
WR: Green, Ross, Gallup, Boyd, Malone, Erickson
TE: Eifert, Gesicki, Kroft
OT: Okorafora, Pasztor, Obguehi, Fisher
OG: Boling, Mewhort, Nelson, Westerman, Hopkins
C: Richburg, Bodine, Johnson
DE: Dunlap, Smith, Holmes, Willis
DT: Atkins, Phillips, Billings, Glasgow
LB: Burfict, Jefferson, Lawson, Vigil, Evans, Nickerson
CB: Jackson, Jackson III, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Phillips, Hayden
S: Iloka, Williams, Whitehead, Fejedelum, Shaw
K: Carlson
P: Huber

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Uh, you have 29 guys on your offensive roster, including a dozen OL. They typically keep 9.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 02:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, you have 29 guys on your offensive roster, including a dozen OL.  They typically keep 9.

This is the roster coming out of the draft, I am not assuming they keep all players listed.  Just a list to work with following draft/free agency.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
Theres a lot of unrealistic stuff going on here:

1. I don't see any way that Arizona gives up a second round pick to move up 3 spots. Maybe a 3rd, but I doubt it.
2. Nelson at 15? I'd be shocked if he's there at 12.
3. ANY offseason that involves re-sigining Bodine is a waste. There's no reason to waste anything on the guy.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Theres a lot of unrealistic stuff going on here:

1.  I don't see any way that Arizona gives up a second round pick to move up 3 spots.  Maybe a 3rd, but I doubt it.
2.  Nelson at 15?  I'd be shocked if he's there at 12.
3.  ANY offseason that involves re-sigining Bodine is a waste.  There's no reason to waste anything on the guy.

In response:

1. In most cases I would agree with you, but with an early run on QBs likely to happen, we are sitting in a very strong position to charge a high price for the 12th spot.  If we need to throw in a future 3rd round pick to get the deal done, so be it.  Whatever we need to do to take their 1st and 2nd (within reason).

2. I agree to an extent, however I did about 10 simulated mocks and 9 of them he was available at that spot.  If he isn't available I would flip my picks and go best available T at 15 and take best available guard (Hernandez probably) later in the first.

3. I despise Bodine as a starting center.  I do.  But for the low price tag we get him back at (with only 30% of the salary guaranteed) it works out for us.  He would be better than most backup centers in the league without a doubt.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
LA LA LAND bro.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 04:24 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: In response:

1. In most cases I would agree with you, but with an early run on QBs likely to happen, we are sitting in a very strong position to charge a high price for the 12th spot.  If we need to throw in a future 3rd round pick to get the deal done, so be it.  Whatever we need to do to take their 1st and 2nd (within reason).

2. I agree to an extent, however I did about 10 simulated mocks and 9 of them he was available at that spot.  If he isn't available I would flip my picks and go best available T at 15 and take best available guard (Hernandez probably) later in the first.

3. I despise Bodine as a starting center.  I do.  But for the low price tag we get him back at (with only 30% of the salary guaranteed) it works out for us.  He would be better than most backup centers in the league without a doubt.

Think you meant it works out for MB. 

Hate the idea of it but do not doubt they will choose this direction. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
But would be happy if we signed Richburg and ecstatic if Nelson falls into our lap.

Or Wynn for that matter.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 01:28 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: LA LA LAND bro.

I know it is a stretch, but the Dalton trade scenario makes too much sense to me.  IMO Dalton is better than McCarron (right now), but we know Dalton's ceiling and rather than letting McCarron walk out the door for nothing, we may as well use Dalton as a trade piece to assemble as strong a team as possible for whoever the next QB is.  

I do see us trading back though as long as more than one BPA is still on the board for the Bengals to grab.  They will see it as an opportunity to acquire more picks and still get at least one of the guys on the board.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 01:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: But would be happy if we signed Richburg and ecstatic if Nelson falls into our lap.

Or Wynn for that matter.

If Nelson wasn't there at 15 I would go best available OT (McGlinchey) and the take either Hernandez or Wynn later in the first to fill the G slot.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote