Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Podcast
So, who listens to these? Do you think the latest one -- Hot Fun in the Summertime -- is a realistic look at the Bengals this year? (playoffs)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I guess that's a 'no'.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 01:11 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I guess that's a 'no'.

Think a link would help you here.

I used to listen when PDJ and Jim O. were running it. They did a great job and had interesting discussions. PDJ had high standards and knew the history very well which helped.

I tried to listen with the new crew, and just couldn’t stand it. They just seemed far more goofy than knowledgeable. I’m not a fan of Tyler Dragon. Stupid name, stupid guy. I’m overly critical of them I’m sure but that’s how I felt after my latest attempt to listen to it again.
Reply/Quote
If Dan Hoard would quit attempting to "sing" it might be OK..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A link? It's literally on bengals.com. I guess people are more lazy than I thought!
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 07:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: A link?  It's literally on bengals.com.  I guess people are more lazy than I thought!

Well, to be completely honest, some of us don't frequent the mothership.  Typically, the only time I look at anything on there, is when it's linked in a post on here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 12:28 AM)EatonFan Wrote: So, who listens to these?  Do you think the latest one -- Hot Fun in the Summertime -- is a realistic look at the Bengals this year? (playoffs)

I listen to the Bengals Booth Podcast regularly.  It often features a segment with Dave Lapham and I think the two are fantastic together.  Dan Hoard is excellent.  

I also like "Hear that Podcast Growlin'" a feature from the Athletic with Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner, Jr.  

Lastly, the "Locked on Bengals" podcast is also great, with Jake Lisco and James Rapien.  

All three shows help the miles (or some days, the law mowing) pass much more quickly.  Nothing but positives to share from each.  Dave Lapham recently started a series called "In the Trenches" that I am also just starting to follow.  Lots of one-on-one interviews.  He did one with Tony Pike recently that I really enjoyed.  
Reply/Quote
I’m not real big on listening to podcasts, but I do like one’s that I can watch on YouTube. For the Bengals that’s mainly New Stripe City with Ace and Zim (they get a lot of good interviews), and The Orange and Black Insider with Anthony Cosenza and John Sheeran.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 12:28 AM)EatonFan Wrote: So, who listens to these?  Do you think the latest one -- Hot Fun in the Summertime -- is a realistic look at the Bengals this year? (playoffs)

I listen to them daily and weekly as new ones come out. IMO, the best ones are...

- Hear That Podcast Growlin (Paul Dehner Jr & Jay Morrison) - Weekly
- Bengals Booth (Lap & Hoard) - Weekly
- Locked On Bengals (Rapien caries the show. The other guy absolutely sucks) - Daily

Cincy 3:60 is Tony Pike & Mo Egger. LOVE those guys and their show. They have absolutely KILLED it. So much so that they've kicked ESPN syndicated stuff off of Cincinnati local airwaves during lunch hour and expanded it. They cover the Bengals a TON. Those guys deserve an award for their work, IMO. Wildly appreciated on my end.

After that, the Equirer show "Bengals Beat" (which Dehner Jr started) is a clown show. The girl is good on there. The other two are goofballs. Hearing the guy, Charlie, ask questions in pressers is cringe inducing.... but I still listen after I've caught up on the other ones. Tyler Dragon, who's on there, couldn't be worse or more out of touch and unrelatable for the Cincinnati area and Bengals fans. Vomit inducing to hear him ramble on about crap he likes: Like the Lakers, his shoe collection, and track and field competition. His first episode he went on and on about the Steelers and about how he came from the Dallas market. What a *****.

The Cincy Jungle podcast is horrific and worse than the above. I would rather listen to a Ravens podcast than those morons. They do a rotation of guests and they all suck compared to the above - Although, I do appreciate Ace & Zim at least trying to be interesting and have life . I'll listen to this one and the Bengals Beat when I cut my grass at the end of the week and I've already gone through the good stuff. One almost covers the front yard, the other the back. So, that's the only reason I get them in.

The British guys who do an all Bengals podcast effort pretty well and aren't bad as a change of pace. they are genuine fans and really care about the team.

Worst of them all are the special needs guys with the puppets. My god. One day they'll get laid and drop the schtick.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 01:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not real big on listening to podcasts, but I do like one’s that I can watch on YouTube. For the Bengals that’s mainly New Stripe City with Ace and Zim (they get a lot of good interviews), and The Orange and Black Insider with Anthony Cosenza and John Sheeran.

You and I are different humans when it comes to that. Read my review of them above... TRASH
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 07:05 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You and I are different humans when it comes to that. Read my review of them above... TRASH

Eh, to each their own. I like Sheeran, and tend to agree with his takes more often than not. And Ace & Zim get some of the best interviews. Like I said, I mostly stick with those because I can watch them on YouTube (I get bored just listening).

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 07:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, to each their own. I like Sheeran, and tend to agree with his takes more often than not. And Ace & Zim get some of the best interviews. Like I said, I mostly stick with those because I can watch them on YouTube (I get bored just listening).

Hey, listen, if we all liked the same thing life would be boring. I keep giving them all a try.... except those F'ing puppets. I genuinely wish them ALL great success even if I don't like everything about their shows.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 07:42 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Hey, listen, if we all liked the same thing life would be boring. I keep giving them all a try.... except those F'ing puppets. I genuinely wish them ALL great success even if I don't like everything about their shows.

Yeah, I can’t do the one with the puppets lol.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 06:55 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I listen to them daily and weekly as new ones come out. IMO, the best ones are...

- Hear That Podcast Growlin (Paul Dehner Jr & Jay Morrison) - Weekly
- Bengals Booth (Lap & Hoard) - Weekly
- Locked On Bengals (Rapien caries the show. The other guy absolutely sucks) - Daily

Cincy 3:60 is Tony Pike & Mo Egger. LOVE those guys and their show. They have absolutely KILLED it. So much so that they've kicked ESPN syndicated stuff off of Cincinnati local airwaves during lunch hour and expanded it. They cover the Bengals a TON. Those guys deserve an award for their work, IMO. Wildly appreciated on my end.

After that, the Equirer show "Bengals Beat" (which Dehner Jr started) is a clown show. The girl is good on there. The other two are goofballs. Hearing the guy, Charlie, ask questions in pressers is cringe inducing.... but I still listen after I've caught up on the other ones. Tyler Dragon, who's on there, couldn't be worse or more out of touch and unrelatable for the Cincinnati area and Bengals fans. Vomit inducing to hear him ramble on about crap he likes: Like the Lakers, his shoe collection, and track and field competition. His first episode he went on and on about the Steelers and about how he came from the Dallas market. What a *****.

The Cincy Jungle podcast is horrific and worse than the above. I would rather listen to a Ravens podcast than those morons. They do a rotation of guests and they all suck compared to the above - Although, I do appreciate Ace & Zim at least trying to be interesting and have life . I'll listen to this one and the Bengals Beat when I cut my grass at the end of the week and I've already gone through the good stuff. One almost covers the front yard, the other the back. So, that's the only reason I get them in.

The British guys who do an all Bengals podcast effort pretty well and aren't bad as a change of pace. they are genuine fans and really care about the team.

Worst of them all are the special needs guys with the puppets.
Thanks for the insightful post. I love podcasts of all kinds, although most of the ones I listen to are on finance or true crime, I listen to Bengals Booth and Locked On. I pretty much agree with your thoughts on both so I really need to check out the one with T Pike and Mo. I always like Pike when I hear him, and used to listen to Mo on am radio religiously back in the day.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:57 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Thanks for the insightful post.  I love podcasts of all kinds, although most of the ones I listen to are on finance or true crime, I listen to Bengals Booth and Locked On.  I pretty much agree with your thoughts on both so I really need to check out the one with T Pike and Mo.  I always like Pike when I hear him, and used to listen to Mo on am radio religiously back in the day.

Ok, so, if I can maybe give some advice....

Easiest way to catch that live is iHeart Radio app. Search for channel 1530 ESPN. It's on from 12-2 and covers Cincy Sports. They cover a lot of stuff, but always Bengals.

For older episodes, iHeart is also great. Search for Cincy:360 and you can find their backlog.

I use an app called Podcast Player and search "Bengals" to get all of the Bengal specific shows like I listed in my bigger post. And for the local guys, search by name: Mo Egger, Lance Mcalister, etc etc. From there you can easily find snippets of their shows with titles. Makes it easy to find Bengals only content from local shows.

Enjoy!!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 07:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: A link?  It's literally on bengals.com.  I guess people are more lazy than I thought!

Are you too lazy to post a link?

I know when I always refer to something I link it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 07:05 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You and I are different humans when it comes to that. Read my review of them above... TRASH

What's not to like? I'm just curious because it's literally just Bengals talk, nothing more nothing less. All you said in your post above is that you think they suck but didn't list anything specific.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2021, 12:35 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: What's not to like? I'm just curious because it's literally just Bengals talk, nothing more nothing less. All you said in your post above is that you think they suck but didn't list anything specific.

I wasn't going for a professional review of each show, but I understand the ask. Keep in mind, I have been listening to all of these shows daily/weekly for quite a few years. So, I may be harsher or have opinions (rightly or wrongly) formed over longer periods of time than others......

1st: I don't think they're formatted very well. Some people may like just hearing Bengals chatter from fans, but my buddies and I can do that ourselves. Or, I can come here for that. There's a reason professional shows are formatted certain ways and flow well. I like that.

2nd: They missremember/pronounce names, have to correct themselves constantly, and misquote stats and timelines quite a bit. Again, as amateurs or people doing this as a passion project, I think that's normal to happen... it's just not for me. When compared to the others, these things are noticeable to me.

3rd: They talk over each other & technical problems.... interruptions (kids in background, barking dogs, etc). 

4th: Suuuuuuper homers. Very little criticism.

5th: What's new? A lot of this is just rehashing things that other people - professionals - have already reported. All I'm hearing is another fan's take on it... I can come here for that.

BTW, Cincy Jungle articles have gotten WAY WAY better at providing original content. Like I said, I keep trying articles and listening to shows. These guys will all grow and get better over time. I don't dislike them as people or anything and realize they're fans putting on a show for everyone.

^ If someone wanted Bengals media stuff I would definitely list this for them, but I would describe it as fan talk.

6th: I feel like some of this comes across as them feeling themselves a bit much in the case of Ace & Zim.

7th: To me, and this may be a complete 180 from what others like, I think those 2 ^ would do really well if they had a producer helping them with flow, info, content, and direction during their show. Instead, they end up drifting into their own kind of tangents that they aren't prepared (data wise) to go into.

8th: The Cincy Jungle shows can have some co-hosts that just do NOT go well with the main host. Not good personalies or energy matches. And sometimes they are last minute. I remember a string if shows where it seemed like they were just subbing in co-hosts and it was tough to listen to.

9th: These shows tend to be 1 note and not particularly funny or engaging. It's just fan takes on Bengals news. Monotone or monochromatic. Again, this goes back to formatting and newness for hosts or perhaps the nervousness of it being new.

^ Ultimately, consistency is a good thing and the shows I said were trash are primarily inconsistent. Of course, I'm comparing armateur stuff to professionals... but when you are listed on the same platforms, that's the space you're competing in. They will get better over time, I'm sure!
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2021, 12:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you too lazy to post a link?

I know when I always refer to something I link it. 

Bengals Booth Podcast:

https://danhoard.podbean.com/

Locked on Bengals Podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bengals-daily-podcast-on-the-cincinnati-bengals/id1159723162

Hear that Podcast Growlin' (must subscribe to the Athletic...totally worth it...like $1 a month)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hear-that-podcast-growlin-show-about-cincinnati-bengals/id1477129521

Dave Lapham "In the trenches" podcast:

https://www.audible.com/pd/In-The-Trenches-with-Dave-Lapham-Podcast/B08K56JS3Q

All of these immediately come up with Google search.  Just type in the podcast you are looking for and there it is.  
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2021, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Bengals Booth Podcast:

https://danhoard.podbean.com/

Locked on Bengals Podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bengals-daily-podcast-on-the-cincinnati-bengals/id1159723162

Hear that Podcast Growlin' (must subscribe to the Athletic...totally worth it...like $1 a month)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hear-that-podcast-growlin-show-about-cincinnati-bengals/id1477129521

Dave Lapham "In the trenches" podcast:

https://www.audible.com/pd/In-The-Trenches-with-Dave-Lapham-Podcast/B08K56JS3Q

All of these immediately come up with Google search.  Just type in the podcast you are looking for and there it is.  

Just a heads up, I get HTPG for free on the Podcast Player app.
Reply/Quote