Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Practice Squad announced
Im glad Brandon Wilson made the practice squad. Everybody has that one player that gets cut and you hope like hell they clear and make the PS. I just dont understand how everything was handled with Wilson. After being only the 4th player in history that the Bengals have traded up for, even though it was a late pick to bring him off the NFI list just a week ago then cut him. I dunno, none of it makes sense to me.
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I'm sure I saw a couple guys on here swear that Elliott wouldn't make it through waivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting. I'm sure I saw a couple guys on here swear that Elliott wouldn't make it through waivers.
He's getting an opportunity to wait in the wings and prove in practice that he can get the job done.

They said during the Colts game (I think it was that one) that Bullock has not made a FG over 50 yards since 2014.  If that stat doesn't change with his first 50+ attempt of the season, that leash will be REALLY short.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 10:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He's getting an opportunity to wait in the wings and prove in practice that he can get the job done.

They said during the Colts game (I think it was that one) that Bullock has not made a FG over 50 yards since 2014.  If that stat doesn't change with his first 50+ attempt of the season, that leash will be REALLY short.

well i believe he kicked two in preseason.. so a good sign
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting. I'm sure I saw a couple guys on here swear that Elliott wouldn't make it through waivers.

I admit it, I thought Elliott would be picked up. As of right now, I am wrong but a long season.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 10:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He's getting an opportunity to wait in the wings and prove in practice that he can get the job done.

While it is true he hasn't made a FG over 50 yards since 2014, it's not like been missing them.  He is 0-1 since 2014,  He is 5-11 for his career, and 4 of his misses were his rookie year when he was 1-5.  So he has hit 4-6 from over 50 since his rookie year.  Since his rookie year Bullock is 57-67 overall.  That's 85%.  Mike Nugent only hit 85% once in his 7 year Bengal career. (2011)  So if Bullock only maintains the consistency he's had since his rookie year, then he's a nice upgrade over Nugent.  Bullock is just 27 years old, so it's not as if he's past his prime and should be losing any leg strength.  I have confidence in Bullock until he shows a reason to not have confidence in him.  IMO the missed 43 yarder against the Texans last year isn't enough to erode said confidence. 
Reply/Quote
Glad we got Wilson and Tupou. I hope the big DT can stick and become a contributor.
Reply/Quote
I am bummed that Cox got away given the injuries we currently have at S. And kinda wish Dielman could have been developed. Redmond spent last year on the PS, that's what allowed him to develop and play well enough this offseason to beat out a draft pick.
Reply/Quote
Jarveon Williams, looked really good. Glad to see him sticking around.
Reply/Quote
I know if another team grabs one of our PS players they have to put him on their 53 man roster. If a claim is put in for one of our players can we block it and place him on our roster first?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote

Wanted Elliott to win job mostly because did not like the way Bullock looked last season in the cold. 

But he has looked really good this preseason. 

Yet never thought Elliott would be claimed. Strong leg but has to harness his accuracy on midrange shots. 

Could be great if he does, leg is strong. But the bread and butter comes from making the ones you are supposed with regularity. 

Not sure he is there yet and hope Bullock proves my worries wrong. But not sold just yet. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Call me jaded, but I think the Bengals were just saving face by throwing him on the PS. If Bullock keeps hitting FG's when it counts, they're not going to just cut him to get Elliott out there. At this point I think the Bengals would sign a kicker in FA before they'd promote Elliott, barring some big turnaround. Throwing him on the PS just lets them get a longer look at the mistake they made. 

(09-03-2017, 11:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I admit it, I thought Elliott would be picked up. As of right now, I am wrong but a long season.

You were one of the couple. I'm pretty sure you said he wouldn't make it to the PS and he did, so I'm not sure how you can still be right later. No biggie. I voluntarily ate my crow on the Haden contract, so I wanted to make sure you ate some on this.  Smirk 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Call me jaded, but I think the Bengals were just saving face by throwing him on the PS. If Bullock keeps hitting FG's when it counts, they're not going to just cut him to get Elliott out there. At this point I think the Bengals would sign a kicker in FA before they'd promote Elliott, barring some big turnaround. Throwing him on the PS just lets them get a longer look at the mistake they made. 

You were one of the couple. I'm pretty sure you said he wouldn't make it to the PS and he did, so I'm not sure how you can still be right later. No biggie. I voluntarily ate my crow on the Haden contract, so I wanted to make sure you ate some on this.  Smirk 

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement in bold, but if his leash can't be long considering the missed game winners against Houston and the Colts, and no 50 yarders for some time.  Let's say his first three attempts are 42, 51, and 53 yards for the win.  If he comes out of it 1/3 with only hitting the shorter kick, they will make the change, IMO.  I understand that Elliot's performance thus far in fake games and practice is dicey, but there is no reason not to try him out in real games if the guy who has bounced around the league isn't getting it done either.

Hopefully Bullock sets a record this year with no FGs, 100% success rate on 700 XPs, and 716 touchbacks, making this discussion all academic!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Call me jaded, but I think the Bengals were just saving face by throwing him on the PS. If Bullock keeps hitting FG's when it counts, they're not going to just cut him to get Elliott out there. At this point I think the Bengals would sign a kicker in FA before they'd promote Elliott, barring some big turnaround. Throwing him on the PS just lets them get a longer look at the mistake they made. 

I looked back and yes I did say he would not get to the practice squad so yep I was wrong. ThumbsUp But, I still say he ends up being a very good NFL kicker for us or someone, better than Bullock long term.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly with the statement in bold, but if his leash can't be long considering the missed game winners against Houston and the Colts, and no 50 yarders for some time.  Let's say his first three attempts are 42, 51, and 53 yards for the win.  If he comes out of it 1/3 with only hitting the shorter kick, they will make the change, IMO.  I understand that Elliot's performance thus far in fake games and practice is dicey, but there is no reason not to try him out in real games if the guy who has bounced around the league isn't getting it done either.

Hopefully Bullock sets a record this year with no FGs, 100% success rate on 700 XPs, and 716 touchbacks, making this discussion all academic!

I see nothing wrong with keeping a kicker who has not overwhelmed in the clutch pushed by his potential replacement kicking by him side by side in practice. Maybe this will motivate Bullock to become the next Justin Tucker or A. Viniteri.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly with the statement in bold, 1. but his leash can't be long considering the missed game winners against Houston and the Colts, and 2. no 50 yarders for some time.  Let's say his first three attempts are 42, 51, and 53 yards for the win.  If he comes out of it 1/3 with only hitting the shorter kick, they will make the change, IMO.  3. I understand that Elliot's performance thus far in fake games and practice is dicey, but there is no reason not to try him out in real games if the guy who has bounced around the league isn't getting it done either.

4. Hopefully Bullock sets a record this year with no FGs, 100% success rate on 700 XPs, and 716 touchbacks, making this discussion all academic!

1. That's why I said "if Bullock keeps making kicks". I don't think he's earned any sort of long leash. He'll likely be replaced if he comes out on an extended cold streak. Like I said though...I think they'd be more likely to pick up a veteran than throw Elliott in there. Consider the word's from coach's mouth: "obviously Elliott would've been the choice if it were anything close" (referring to the competition). Read between the lines there. They desperately wanted the 5th round pick to win, but he stunk it up. They're not going to give him the job unless he gets better. That has nothing to do with Bullock.

2. Elliott fans have been using this as some sort of indictment of Bullock, but they neglect to mention that Bullock has only attempted 1 FG of that length since 2014 because he's bounced around a bit and has only played 16 games during that span. Saying "since 2014" sounds worse than "over his last 16 games" I guess. He definitely has the ability to hit them though. He hit a couple in preseason, he went 4-5 in 2014, and it's obvious he has a stronger leg than Nuge.

3. You use a missed preseason kick against Bullock, but seem to downplay Elliott's performance thus far by calling it fake games and practice. Fwiw, I don't think many kickers get better when the pressure increases. 

4. That'd be nice, but Bullock is going to miss some. All kickers do. I'm sure Elliott fans will be fair about it though.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. That's why I said "if Bullock keeps making kicks". I don't think he's earned any sort of long leash. He'll likely be replaced if he comes out on an extended cold streak. Like I said though...I think they'd be more likely to pick up a veteran than throw Elliott in there. Consider the word's from coach's mouth: "obviously Elliott would've been the choice if it were anything close" (referring to the competition). Read between the lines there. They desperately wanted the 5th round pick to win, but he stunk it up. They're not going to give him the job unless he gets better. That has nothing to do with Bullock.

2. Elliott fans have been using this as some sort of indictment of Bullock when they neglect to mention that Bullock has only attempted 1 FG of that length since 2014 because he's bounced around a bit and has only played 16 games during that span. Saying "since 2014" sounds worse than "over his last 16 games" I guess. He definitely has the ability to hit them though. He hit a couple in preseason, he went 4-5 in 2014, and it's obvious he has a stronger leg than Nuge.

3. You use a missed preseason kick against Bullock, but seem to downplay Elliott's performance thus far by calling it fake games and practice. Fwiw, I don't think many kickers get better when the pressure increases. 

4. That'd be nice, but Bullock is going to miss some. All kickers do. I'm sure Elliott fans will be fair about it though.  Mellow

Did he stink it up? He missed a 60 yard kick by a yard left. My guess is he wins the job if he the 60 yarder. He hit every kick off deep into the endzone. Bullock had a great camp and beat him out. Why do you have to take away from Bullock to bash Elliott? I just don't get that some don't realize because you get beat or because you lose a starting job does not make you trash, make you bad if someone is just better. It is life, it happens in the work place too. Good employees get fired every day because someone was better and not because they stink at their job.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. That's why I said "if Bullock keeps making kicks". I don't think he's earned any sort of long leash. He'll likely be replaced if he comes out on an extended cold streak. Like I said though...I think they'd be more likely to pick up a veteran than throw Elliott in there. Consider the word's from coach's mouth: "obviously Elliott would've been the choice if it were anything close" (referring to the competition). Read between the lines there. They desperately wanted the 5th round pick to win, but he stunk it up. They're not going to give him the job unless he gets better. That has nothing to do with Bullock.

2. Elliott fans have been using this as some sort of indictment of Bullock, but they neglect to mention that Bullock has only attempted 1 FG of that length since 2014 because he's bounced around a bit and has only played 16 games during that span. Saying "since 2014" sounds worse than "over his last 16 games" I guess. He definitely has the ability to hit them though. He hit a couple in preseason, he went 4-5 in 2014, and it's obvious he has a stronger leg than Nuge.

3. You use a missed preseason kick against Bullock, but seem to downplay Elliott's performance thus far by calling it fake games and practice
. Fwiw, I don't think many kickers get better when the pressure increases. 

Nope, I was conscious of it at the time and meant to address it (the misses asked me about something and I forgot to go back and re-word it).
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Did he stink it up? He missed a 60 yard kick by a yard left. My guess is he wins the job if he the 60 yarder. He hit every kick off deep into the endzone. Bullock had a great camp and beat him out. Why do you have to take away from Bullock to bash Elliott? I just don't get that some don't realize because you get beat or because you lose a starting job does not make you trash, make you bad if someone is just better. It is life, it happens in the work place too. Good employees get fired every day because someone was better and not because they stink at their job.

Let me put it this way. Bullock was nothing spectacular through camp and preseason. He was a veteran doing a solid job. Marvin Lewis said the competition wasn't close. Put 2 and 2 together. They wanted Elliott to win this competition, but couldn't justify keeping him on the 53 based on his performance. You keep bringing up this 60 yarder as if it were the only negative. Elliott went 1 for 4 in the last couple games. There were reports of him "struggling" through camp:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/17/16161312/bengals-kicker-battle-update-jake-elliott-struggling-randy-bullock-superior

Quote:Jay Morrison 

@JayMorrisonCMG

Rough day for rookie kicker Jake Elliott. Misses from 45 and 53 and two from 54. Only made the 50. Bullock 4 for 4

Elliott did show leg on kickoffs, but the stats were dead even with Bullock there, and that's not enough to make up for the inaccuracy. A kicker with a big leg is useless if he can't make the kicks. It just looks prettier, but the result is still 0 points on the board. It reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. Dude could throw a pretty spiral 70 yards...but it was just as likely to hit a cheerleader as a receiver.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 01:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Let me put it this way. Bullock was nothing spectacular through camp and preseason. He was a veteran doing a solid job. Marvin Lewis said the competition wasn't close. Put 2 and 2 together. You keep bringing up this 60 yarder as if it were the only negative. Elliott went 1 for 4 in the last couple games. There were reports of him "struggling" through camp:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/8/17/16161312/bengals-kicker-battle-update-jake-elliott-struggling-randy-bullock-superior

Elliott did show leg on kickoffs, but the stats were dead even with Bullock there, and that's not enough to make up for the inaccuracy. A kicker with a big leg is useless if he can't make the kicks. It just looks prettier, but the result is still 0 points on the board. It reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. Dude could throw a pretty spiral 70 yards...but it was just as likely to hit a cheerleader as a receiver.

I love how you throw in a negative Elliott article, but ignore how well in camp Bullock was doing rarely missing anything in practice. So in your mind Bullock sucks, Elliott just sucks more.

Why not just cut Bullock too and go get a vet who was cut if Bullock is so bad?

Reply/Quote