Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Ranked 7th Best Running Back Situation
(07-11-2017, 10:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well remember what potential means.. have not done "shit yet" lol... rookies can fall into this for many... so I would say they are very weak at this point overall with backups... 

Same boat as us. Rookie and a guy coming off an ACL as backups to an average RB. Steelers at least have a top 5 RB as the starter.
Reply/Quote
Hill will not be cut until after this season imo and will be highly motivated. What that brings to our table who knows ?

Mixon sure looks like the real deal, but we will have to wait and see him against NFL players first. Think he is a beast though.

The O-line will have to take a huge stride forward to reach greatness or even where they are ranked.

steelers ranked higher I get. They say Bengals model their approach after the steelers.

Yet the steelers pay their OL including OG's. Big difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals RB's will be given a huge pass this year because of the offensive line. I don't see them having stellar statistical seasons (say that 5 times fast).
Reply/Quote
IMO, this entire season hinges on the OL. If they can protect Andy and open holes for whomever is running the ball then this team will win a lot of games. Naturally it will all fall apart in the playoffs, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 10:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Steelers are ranked that high because their offensive line run blocks exceptionally well no matter who their running back is.  Yes, they hold a lot but their line opens lots of holes.

I agree,but I also think that they benefit from questionable play & officiating on occasion.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 02:02 PM)Earendil Wrote: IMO, this entire season hinges on the OL.  If they can protect Andy and open holes for whomever is running the ball then this team will win a lot of games.  Naturally it will all fall apart in the playoffs, but that's a discussion for another thread.

If he stays healthy, I really don't think Andre and Fish will have any problem opening up the right side of the line.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 02:43 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Sadly the stealers have a history of finding quality players, that is why they are normally in the Superbowl hunt.
Typing that makes me throw up a little in my mouth . Sick

And Conner is a very good back.   Very powerful and still nifty, just not really fast.   But he's going to be a good one from what I've seen and heard.

And you're right about finding quality players.   I think the QB out of UT is going to be a heck of a player, and the Steelers got him for a song.

I look forward to seeing their development.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 08:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I stopped reading when I saw "Jeremy Hill is fantastic in the red zone".

He kind of is though. Between the 20's he's been a disappointment for sure...but he does produce TDs at the goal line.

This isn't me endorsing him or anything, but he does have a knack for punching it in. Just as Mixon has a knack for punching other stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I just hope Marv gives Mixon a chance and doesn't just rely on Hill and Gio....
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:30 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: I just hope Marv gives Mixon a chance and doesn't just rely on Hill and Gio....

Gio will most likely be on PUP do to his injury and that leaves it as Hill vs Mixon. They will probably split carries like Hill and Gio did, but at some point if Mixon is just out performing him, he's going to start. This is a 2nd round pick vs a 2nd round pick. No reason to hold back.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 09:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He kind of is though. Between the 20's he's been a disappointment for sure...but he does produce TDs at the goal line.

This isn't me endorsing him or anything, but he does have a knack for punching it in. Just as Mixon has a knack for punching other stuff.
Yes, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don' remember seeing any spectacular plays or him running over anyone Jerome Bettis style to score.  It always seemed to be more just one-yard running into the endzone untouched and unchallenged where he didn't even have to make any moves.  

Even his 74-yarder against the Browns wasn't real special because he just ran through the hole untouched.  His 40-yard run against them was a nice run, but still didn't make up for a season of mostly shitty runs.
(07-12-2017, 10:30 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: I just hope Marv gives Mixon a chance and doesn't just rely on Hill and Gio....

I think he might split the carries early between Mixon and Hill, but hopefully Mixon just starts dominating and Marvin has no choice but to give Mixon the bulk of the carries.

That's assuming that Hill isn't cut.  I'd love to see him cut and use his money to sign a center that hopefully comes available after final cuts.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:35 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Same boat as us. Rookie and a guy coming off an ACL as backups to an average RB. Steelers at least have a top 5 RB as the starter.
Right I tend to agree Rookies are unknown but I do put a little bit more weight in the round that you do pick running backs so we do have an edge there rookie vs rookie as for Gio yes he had an injury but I'm not going to zero him out in the depth category at all he's way better than any Steeler has even not at 100% as a backup I'm also not ranking the Bengals with the Steelers but the point was the Steelers definitely lack in depth behind Bell we are much better when you look at what Gio has done plus when you look at the rookie comparison of US versus them.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yes, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don' remember seeing any spectacular plays or him running over anyone Jerome Bettis style to score.  It always seemed to be more just one-yard running into the endzone untouched and unchallenged where he didn't even have to make any moves.  

Even his 74-yarder against the Browns wasn't real special because he just ran through the hole untouched.  His 40-yard run against them was a nice run, but still didn't make up for a season of mostly shitty runs.

I think he might split the carries early between Mixon and Hill, but hopefully Mixon just starts dominating and Marvin has no choice but to give Mixon the bulk of the carries.

That's assuming that Hill isn't cut.  I'd love to see him cut and use his money to sign a center that hopefully comes available after final cuts.

Hill's TD run against the Jets was a nice run.

Considering that Perine was used as the short-yardage/goal-line back at OU, it would probably be a good idea to find a power back to fill that hole until we find out if Mixon can do that. Hopefully, Hill can do that, but they need to keep an eye on that situation.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Gio will most likely be on PUP do to his injury and that leaves it as Hill vs Mixon. They will probably split carries like Hill and Gio did, but at some point if Mixon is just out performing him, he's going to start. This is a 2nd round pick vs a 2nd round pick. No reason to hold back.

Even though it is true they are both 2nd round selections.

Believe Mixon to be more of a 1st round talent on the field. Just off field issues cost him a round imo. 

Agree with you he will get his carries and hopefully emerge as the stud back Bengals need as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 10:41 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Gio will most likely be on PUP do to his injury and that leaves it as Hill vs Mixon. They will probably split carries like Hill and Gio did, but at some point if Mixon is just out performing him, he's going to start. This is a 2nd round pick vs a 2nd round pick. No reason to hold back.

Agreed on Gio to PUP.

As for Hill, even if he keeps sucking, he's going to vulture all of the short TDs from Mixon. So even if the OL isn't a hair-and-tire-filled dumpster fire and Mixon is good, he still won't have the TD numbers of the good RBs.

Look forward to Hill getting another 150-200 carries at 3-3.5 per.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 12:59 AM)blt4584 Wrote: Hill's TD run against the Jets was a nice run.

Considering that Perine was used as the short-yardage/goal-line back at OU, it would probably be a good idea to find a power back to fill that hole until we find out if Mixon can do that. Hopefully, Hill can do that, but they need to keep an eye on that situation.
I forgot about that one, but, yes, it was a very nice run.

That's how he ran his first two years in the league all the time but then, ever since the fumble, he's seemed hesitant most of the time.
(07-13-2017, 01:02 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Even though it is true they are both 2nd round selections.

Believe Mixon to be more of a 1st round talent on the field. Just off field issues cost him a round imo. 

Agree with you he will get his carries and hopefully emerge as the stud back Bengals need as well. 
Nixon's the best back from this class and only fell to the second round because of the off-field things.  It was an absolute steal to get him where we did.  He's also only 20, meaning that his body and mind aren't finished products, which means he could get a hell of a lot better, and he's already a stud.

If this line can produce even decently, Mixon will be incredible.
(07-13-2017, 01:05 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Agreed on Gio to PUP.

As for Hill, even if he keeps sucking, he's going to vulture all of the short TDs from Mixon. So even if the OL isn't a hair-and-tire-filled dumpster fire and Mixon is good, he still won't have the TD numbers of the good RBs.

Look forward to Hill getting another 150-200 carries at 3-3.5 per.

If Mixon proves early that he can handle the load and pound it in himself, then I think he could just take some of the goal line carries.

If Gio goes on PUP, that most likely saves Hill's job.
Reply/Quote
Atlanta isn't ranked #1?

This article is so far off.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 09:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He kind of is though. Between the 20's he's been a disappointment for sure...but he does produce TDs at the goal line.

For whatever reason, my mind still sees a play get stopped at the one yard line, and I think:  warm up kicker.  
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 03:37 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I forgot about that one, but, yes, it was a very nice run.

That's how he ran his first two years in the league all the time but then, ever since the fumble, he's seemed hesitant most of the time.

Yep. Hill being in his own head+poor blocking+laughably predictable play calling=bad run game. Hopefully Mixon can at least fix the RB part of that equation.
Reply/Quote
I think Hill ran every carry last year with a focus on NOT fumbling, which hurt his overall YPC. Running scared, perhaps; but he has to find that balance somewhere, or he will continue to be a mediocre back. It's a confidence thing, and really hard to fix. Perhaps Mixon will light a fire under him, and we'll see the best of both of them.
Reply/Quote