Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
5 Games in and We're Leading the Tankathon!
I'm expecting the Bengals to get a Top 3 pick.
And with that pick, I'm expecting the selection to be one of Tua Tagovailoa, Andrew Thomas, Justin Herbert, or Chase Young.
If a non-QB is selected, I'd fully expect a QB selected at the top of Round 2 or even a trade up into the end of Rd 1 to get that 5th year option.
If a QB is selected, Tua is the safe pick that should be able to start right away whereas I think Herbert has a higher ceiling but lower floor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 09:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I mean... didn't we learn that in 2017 when the Bengals had already visibly quit playing on the field the weeks prior, only to win back-to-back games and kill the Lions and Ravens postseason hopes?

That sucking at sucking made us have to suffer through a 2018 with Marvin Lewis STILL as HC. It also ended up moving our pick in the 2018 draft from around 5 to around 12, which is why they then traded down to get Glenn (who sucked) and used that lower pick to draft Price (who became a backup one year after being drafted in the 1st).

That should have been all the evidence you needed. Lol

The dead cat bounce is a staple around here.

And sadly all the excuse the GM needs to "see" it as a sign we're close and bargain shop in the offseason again.

We'll be 1-11 going into the final four and win 3 of them.  Cry Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 02:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Add the Browns to the possible victory list. They don't play the Bengals until the second Sunday in December. Who knows what that team will look like in two months. They'll probably inflict more damage on themselves than the opponents.

I want them to trade down and pick up more quality help on the lines and LB than just a first round and second round pick. If there is anything like Quenton Nelson in next years draft, I want him in Cincinnati.

Anybody thinking that an early first round QB next year is going to fix this mess is lost. 2021 is when you go for your guy and make him sit at least until they are out of the playoffs. Build up the core of this team before you draft "the savior" or you'll wind up with the next Akili.

I agree with your thinking. Regardless of what some posters think, the talent level on this roster is, in general, pathetic. And a 1st round QB won't fix that. It may mask it but it won't fix it.

On offense, what studs do we have? AJ and Mixon. What could start somewhere else guys do we have? Boyd, Gio and possibly Dalton depending on the team. And I'm not mentioning Eiffert in either category because he's injured more often than not. So, on offense , 5/11 of the roster are NFL-quality starters.

On defense, same question. Stud ... Geno. Starters elsewhere? Probably Dunlap, WJ III, and Bates. So 4/11 of the defense are NFL-quality starters.

There's also been a lot of talk on this board about making trades to get draft picks. But who do you trade and what do you get in return? You probably can get a #1 for AJ. The Dalton-haters may want him gone, but you probably only get a 3rd rounder in return. Since Geno and Carlos are getting long-in-the-tooth, their ceilings are probably 2nd round and 4th round. So trading our 4 best older players gets an extra pick in the first 4 rounds. With the 8 picks we'd then have, we ought to be able to draft 3 OL starters and 3 LB starters in the 2020 draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:40 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: On offense, what studs do we have? AJ and Mixon.

Is he, though?

Until I see another great season or two out of Mixon, he's not out of 1-year-wonder territory, which is seriously a thing for RBs.

LeGarrette Blount in 2010
Peyton Hillis in 2010
Jeremy Hill in 2014
Thomas Rawls in 2015
Steve Slaton in 2008
Ickey Woods in 1988
Doug Martin had two in 2012 and 2015

Those are some off the top of my head, I am sure there's more. The point is, RB is a spot where a player can look unstoppable for a year, sometimes two, and do nothing of note for the rest of their career. Until Mixon proves otherwise, he has 1 bad year, 1 good year and 1 year that is bad so far.

My 2 main concerns about Mixon are...
1. Durability: He missed games each of his first two seasons, and he was hurt this season but didn't miss any full games.
2. Lack of Explosiveness: He simply doesn't have the ability to take a play to the house. He has scored 14 TDs so far in his career and 0 of them have been for 20+ yards. Only 2 of them have been for 10+ yards. It is hard to call a RB a stud when he's not a threat to score a touchdown any time he touches the ball.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 01:28 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Winners make those few things go their way, while losers figure out how make enough mistakes so they don't.

Man that is the Bengals in a nutshell.

And I struggle to be excited about the top pick in the draft. Putting all your hopes on that one player (likely QB) who has as much chance of flaming out as becoming an average NFL player or bust just doesn't work out for us normally. And given our coaching situation I believe our odds of that pick becoming a bust are pretty high.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:40 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: I agree with your thinking. Regardless of what some posters think, the talent level on this roster is, in general, pathetic. And a 1st round QB won't fix that. It may mask it but it won't fix it.

On offense, what studs do we have? AJ and Mixon. What could start somewhere else guys do we have? Boyd, Gio and possibly Dalton depending on the team. And I'm not mentioning Eiffert in either category because he's injured more often than not. So, on offense , 5/11 of the roster are NFL-quality starters.

On defense, same question. Stud ... Geno. Starters elsewhere? Probably Dunlap, WJ III, and Bates. So 4/11 of the defense are NFL-quality starters.

There's also been a lot of talk on this board about making trades to get draft picks. But who do you trade and what do you get in return? You probably can get a #1 for AJ. The Dalton-haters may want him gone, but you probably only get a 3rd rounder in return. Since Geno and Carlos are getting long-in-the-tooth, their ceilings are probably 2nd round and 4th round. So trading our 4 best older players gets an extra pick in the first 4 rounds. With the 8 picks we'd then have, we ought to be able to draft 3 OL starters and 3 LB starters in the 2020 draft.

Gio would not start on any NFL team. He's strictly a change of pace, rotational back.

Sam Hubbard is a quality starter and, it pains me to say it, but Kirkpatrick could start on many teams.

Reply/Quote
Miami is acquiring draft picks on their race to #1. This is Mike and Pumpkin trying to win.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Cool, we can expect a good player to produce 3 years from now..
Reply/Quote