Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Re-sign Boyd
(07-23-2019, 11:52 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Glad to hear it! Now get AJ signed. If they dick around like they did with Whit, I'm going to be pissed.

They won’t. See the comment from Mike Brown posted above.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Good on Boyd and the Bengals for getting it done. He earned many fans last year with his grit and tenacity. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the man has a little bit of that Wes Welker-esque mindf**k route running to his game. I'm looking forward to seeing how he evolves as a player. 
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 12:17 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Good on Boyd and the Bengals for getting it done. He earned many fans last year with his grit and tenacity. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the man has a little bit of that Wes Welker-esque mindf**k route running to his game. I'm looking forward to seeing how he evolves as a player. 

And clutch on third down and money on fourth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Finally some good news. It's been a tough past few weeks and this hopefully first of a couple resignings
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They won’t. See the comment from Mike Brown posted above.

What comment?

Are you saying they will not dick around, or are you saying they will not re-sign Green?
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What comment?

Are you saying they will not dick around, or are you saying they will not re-sign Green?

Mike on Green at age 31: The great ones tend to go longer and I think AJ is that kind of guy. He's got plenty left

I’m saying I think we’ll re-sign him soon.

Reply/Quote
And there’s this:

Tobin: I expect no drop off from AJ (because of age) All see when I look at AJ is his talent.

Reply/Quote
I think no drop off, but AJ is definitely getting injured more now than earlier in his career.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think no drop off, but AJ is definitely getting injured more now than earlier in his career.

Is what it is. Other top WRs like Julio and OBJ got injured a lot more in their early years. We were really lucky with AJ health-wise for a number of years.

I’m not really worried about something like turf toe though. It’s not like he has chronic back or knee problems.

Reply/Quote
Well done Bengals!

Tyler Boyd is the man!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think no drop off, but AJ is definitely getting injured more now than earlier in his career.

The injury thing may be a little overstated, I think. On the surface it looks like AJ has had 3 season-ending injuries recently, but remember - he definitely wanted to come back and play in 2016 (he was very outspoken about that), and I got the impression he probably could've played in 2017. The Bengals shut him down both years because they were realistically out of contention and wanted to avoid putting more wear and tear on his body.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If Ross doesn't do much again this year I don't see the team exercising its 5th year option and we'll be looking for someone else for that role in the next draft, if one of the other young guys doesn't step up. I also don't see the team cutting him if he pays poorly either. They'll put him on the pine like they did Ogbuehi.

WJ III will command top dollar. Billings could be an economical re-sign, IMO.

Is Vigil worth keeping at a higher salary or are we better off drafting more LBers? I vote to draft young faster LBers.

My point is that with a new coach and and new team mindset, John Ross might as well have just been traded to a new team.  Anything is still possible with him, it's a great time for him to approach the game with renewed enthusiasm.  Seeing a fellow, younger teammate land a lucritive deal might motivate Ross in ways that Marvin could not, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that..  The Tyler Boyd contract only goes to reinforce the notion, as Tyler went through a bit of a "Sophomore Slump", before rebounding in a very big way last season.  Several around here were ready to dismiss Boyd as "likely not going to be a star";  Many folks were wrong about Tyler Boyd, I'm just hoping that myself and others have been wrong about John Ross.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They won’t. See the comment from Mike Brown posted above.

(07-24-2019, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What comment?

(07-24-2019, 02:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mike on Green at age 31: The great ones tend to go longer and I think AJ is that kind of guy. He's got plenty left

I’m saying I think we’ll re-sign him soon.

I think that sarcasm was lost on Fred Nicomo...
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My point is that with a new coach and and new team mindset, John Ross might as well have just been traded to a new team.  Anything is still possible with him, it's a great time for him to approach the game with renewed enthusiasm.  Seeing a fellow, younger teammate land a lucritive deal might motivate Ross in ways that Marvin could not, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that..  The Tyler Boyd contract only goes to reinforce the notion, as Tyler went through a bit of a "Sophomore Slump", before rebounding in a very big way last season.  Several around here were ready to dismiss Boyd as "likely not going to be a star";  Many folks were wrong about Tyler Boyd, I'm just hoping that myself and others have been wrong about John Ross.

Oh, I agree with you on that. Ross should be very motivated. I hope Ross comes alive this season. I keep saying that all the time. I'm just not willing to hold my breath waiting for him and I don't think the team should either.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:28 PM)McC Wrote: Just add to what you already have.  

This year you see what you have and, consequently, what you need, adopt a new way of doing things. 

This season could start out rough and if it does, a lot of people will get pissed and write Zac Taylor off.  But even if it starts out shaky, it will end well and by next year, we will be formidable.  Could even happen by the end of this year. 

That can't happen if you go for an unnecessary rebuild.

Obviously, this season we will get a good look at what the new staff can do with Marvin's crew. I think they will be better than last year. The problem that I have is that we have already seen the best of guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap and it wasn't enough to get us past the first round of the playoffs. We have less talent around them now and I don't see enough talent coming in via the draft and FA quickly enough to build a contender before those guys will need to be replaced. Had this coaching change happened after the 2015 disaster, I would feel a little better about the approach that you describe but at this point I fear that it is too late and that building around our declining stars will only yield a few more years of mediocrity before the bottom falls out and the rebuild becomes necessary.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Some fans forget that the Bengals were the youngest roster in the NFL going into 2018...when they say rebuild they only think of the QB.

Not true in my case. I don't like the idea of being led into a "New Dey" by declining veterans who stink of the Marvin Lewis era, and yes that includes the QB. I don't necessarily think that you have to purge them all but in my opinion the sooner the on field leadership of this team shifts to Zac's guys the better.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If Ross doesn't do much again this year I don't see the team exercising its 5th year option 

Way to really go out on a limb there..lol
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote