Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Recent Draft History at Center
I know we've all been looking for an upgrade at Center for the Bengals, but good lord have they had rotten luck drafting the position in recent years. Here's who they've drafted there since 1997:

1997 Round 3 76 Rod Payne
2005 Round 4 119 Eric Ghiaciuc
2009 Round 4 106 Jonathan Luigs
2010 Round 7 228 Reggie Stephens
2013 Round 7 251 T.J. Johnson
2014 Round 4 111 Russell Bodine

Eventually they have to hit one, right? Free agency is looking more and more welcome as a chance to grab a center than the draft is.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:30 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I know we've all been looking for an upgrade at Center for the Bengals, but good lord have they had rotten luck drafting the position in recent years. Here's who they've drafted there since 1997:

Eventually they have to hit one, right? Free agency is looking more and more welcome as a chance to grab a center than the draft is.
1. Payne had potential, as he was strong and moved well, but with Braham here, his career-ending injury (at least, that's why he never played after that one season) seemed apt.

2. Ghiaciuc needs nothing to be said about him.

3. Luigs I think would've been serviceable, but another career-ending injury

4. Stephens kicked around for a couple of years as an inactive or on PSs; think he maybe could've done something.

5. TJ has never been given a shot, despite sticking all of these years. He's strong, he's durable, why the hell not?

6. Bodine is Bodine.

Elflein (sp?), Pocic, Toth are who I'm looking at (he was the only olineman that could do ANYTHING against Florida).

Pocic might be a bit too tall, but maybe not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
How did they stumble upon Braham?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 09:35 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: How did they stumble upon Braham?

They picked him up after the Cardinals drafted him in the 3rd round. For whatever reason they put him on waivers and the Bengals scooped him up.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 09:30 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Payne had potential, as he was strong and moved well, but with Braham here, his career-ending injury (at least, that's why he never played after that one season) seemed apt.

2. Ghiaciuc needs nothing to be said about him.

3. Luigs I think would've been serviceable, but another career-ending injury

4. Stephens kicked around for a couple of years as an inactive or on PSs; think he maybe could've done something.

5. TJ has never been given a shot, despite sticking all of these years. He's strong, he's durable, why the hell not?

6. Bodine is Bodine.

Elflein (sp?), Pocic, Toth are who I'm looking at (he was the only olineman that could do ANYTHING against Florida).

Pocic might be a bit too tall, but maybe not.

You may want to add the Center from BGSU to your watch list.  He looks like he has some pro potential.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Right now i would say Elflein is the top center prospect. He is doing the smart thing, moving from guard, where he excelled, to get a year under his belt at center. I don't know if Indiana's Dan Feeney could covert to center but he is also worth following.
Reply/Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most centers in the NFL former college guards?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:30 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I know we've all been looking for an upgrade at Center for the Bengals, but good lord have they had rotten luck drafting the position in recent years. Here's who they've drafted there since 1997:

Something sticks out here. No center drafted by the Bengals came in the first two rounds. Now while that might show how they view the position, it may also show why they keep having crappy luck at finding at drafting a really good center.

IMO they should buck the trend and take a center within the first two rounds next year. There are a few good prospects worth the selection and could really boost the OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Something sticks out here. No center drafted by the Bengals came in the first two rounds. Now while that might show how they view the position, it may also show why they keep having crappy luck at finding at drafting a really good center.

IMO they should buck the trend and take a center within the first two rounds next year. There are a few good prospects worth the selection and could really boost the OL.

You're right about how they view the position.  It would be some work, but if you compared everyone's Offensive Tackles during the same span I'm sure the Bengals would be in the top 5 if not the highest.  In a way, I'd rather be complaining about center than tackle but sarcastic or not as the OP said they'll eventually have to hit on one...you'd think.  In the offseason, one of the few FA pickups I was hoping for was a cut vet that could play center if needed.  

The thing that could sway this trend of center being low priority could be Zeitler leaving.  Lets project that Ced and Fish do a descent job, Westerman never really plays, and Bodine continues to struggle.  You could slide Westerman inside, start Fish at guard and project that Whit loses a bit with age, and you're still going to need one big improvement to the line.  No matter what you project, there are a lot of variables that could line up this decision..... do finally pay market value for a top guard or use a big chip (FA cash or high pick) on a center? I hope Zeitler stays, but they have to plug that middle or what we saw last week will happen often.  

It's early, but mark me down for them losing Zeitler and hoping for another Bobbie Williams/Rich Braham type find as they sift thru the cut vet average young interior OL.  Even then, if Bodine flops then everyone can look forward to another 2 dollar scratch off center in the 4th round.   
Reply/Quote