Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals SAM LB Baun in 2
If the Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun soon, why not Bengals ? With Brooks gone, lets look closer at Baun.

Baun is not a pure edge rusher. He has to play SAM LB and off the ball and is good at pure linebacker open field tackling. He can pass cover as good or better than Brooks. He can make plays in the backfield as well as Brooks. He can rush the QB as well as Brooks. He is a Tackling Machine against the best teams in college like Brooks.

In fact, Baun might be better than Brooks. Watch Highlight Film and Baun much like Brooks.

Seahawks want him because he can play 4-3 but makes 4-3 like a 3-4 also. Seahawks, Rams, Packers sites all have them locked and loaded to take Baun soon in 2. BUT BENGALS NEED A LINEBACKER

I'll add that Baun was nominated for Butkus Award and had a good Senior Bowl that Zac Taylor and staff were at. Plus Zac Taylor from Rams and both Rams and Seahawks are ready to grab Baun.

Maybe trade down a few spots, let some team move up to get one of the top safeties or running backs at 33. We add an extra pick and grab Baun not to far from 33. It can't be too far from 33 because Rams, Seahawks and Packers want him, and maybe some other teams.

We lost out on Brooks. Baun may be just as good or better. We can still get a Linebacker

As for Blocking, I like Outland Trophy nominee and Senior Bowl star Guard John Simpson of Clemson some pick after Round 2.

Before Covid, ZAC and Staff had a good look see at Senior Bowl Stars.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Baun's the #1 defensive player on the board for me this next round.

Josh Jones or Mims/Pittman are my top guys on offense.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:31 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Baun's the #1 defensive player on the board for me this next round.

Josh Jones  or Mims/Pittman are my top guys on offense.

If Bengals go finesse in 2 and 3, they blow the whole thing.  

Bengals are weak and can not put on the Big Boy Pants against good tough teams.  They need to MAN UP with picks like Baun and this guard Simpson maybe in 3.  

Bengals have had finesse players.  As Forrest Gregg said coming in, The Bengals are Weak and you can NOT be WEAK in the AFC North against Ravens, Steelers and Browns. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:17 PM)kevin Wrote: If the Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun soon, why not Bengals ? With Brooks gone, lets look closer at Baun.

Baun is not a pure edge rusher. He has to play SAM LB and off the ball and is good at pure linebacker open field tackling. He can pass cover as good or better than Brooks. He can make plays in the backfield as well as Brooks. He can rush the QB as well as Brooks. He is a Tackling Machine against the best teams in college like Brooks.

In fact, Baun might be better than Brooks. Watch Highlight Film and Baun much like Brooks.

Seahawks want him because he can play 4-3 but makes 4-3 like a 3-4 also. Seahawks, Rams, Packers sites all have them locked and loaded to take Baun soon in 2. BUT BENGALS NEED A LINEBACKER

I'll add that Baun was nominated for Butkus Award and had a good Senior Bowl that Zac Taylor and staff were at. Plus Zac Taylor from Rams and both Rams and Seahawks are ready to grab Baun.

Maybe trade down a few spots, let some team move up to get one of the top safeties or running backs at 33. We add an extra pick and grab Baun not to far from 33. It can't be too far from 33 because Rams, Seahawks and Packers want him, and maybe some other teams.

We lost out on Brooks. Baun may be just as good or better. We can still get a Linebacker

As for Blocking, I like Outland Trophy nominee and Senior Bowl star Guard John Simpson of Clemson some pick after Round 2.

This is beautiful. Give me Baun and then Simpson in the third... of course it would be nice to move down a few spots, get a pick, and still get Baun. I’m just not sure I gamble it...
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:17 PM)kevin Wrote: If the Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun soon, why not Bengals ?  With Brooks gone, lets look closer at Baun.  

Baun is not a pure edge rusher.  He has to play SAM LB and off the ball and is good at pure linebacker open field tackling.  He can pass cover as good or better than Brooks.  He can make plays in the backfield as well as Brooks. He can rush the QB as well as Brooks.  He is a Tackling Machine against the best teams in college like Brooks.  

In fact, Baun might be better than Brooks.  Watch Highlight Film and Baun much like Brooks.

Seahawks want him because he can play 4-3 but makes 4-3 like a 3-4 also.  Seahawks, Rams, Packers sites all have them locked and loaded to take Baun soon in 2.  BUT BENGALS NEED A LINEBACKER

I'll add that Baun was nominated for Butkus Award and had a good Senior Bowl that Zac Taylor and staff were at.  Plus Zac Taylor from Rams and both Rams and Seahawks are ready to grab Baun.  

Maybe trade down a few spots, let some team move up to get one of the top safeties or running backs at 33.  We add an extra pick and grab Baun not to far from 33.  It can't be too far from 33 because Rams, Seahawks and Packers want him, and maybe some other teams.

We lost out on Brooks.  Baun may be just as good or better.  We can still get a Linebacker

According to Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio, he was there all week and thought that Malik Harrison looked much better than Baun. So, according to scouts in the know, Baun shouldn't be the pick when you can get the same player in the 3rd Round.
Reply/Quote
If you want to "man up"

Then you go with both picks in the trenches. Epanesa would be a great fit on the line and could play multiple positions - DT, DE etc. We obviously need help on the O-line as well. There's no way I would go linebacker at 33, especially with a guy like Baun. We need a guy that can cover TEs and RBs on 3rd downs, there are better options than him for those things.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:43 PM)kevin Wrote: If Bengals go finesse in 2 and 3, they blow the whole thing.  

Bengals are weak and can not put on the Big Boy Pants against good tough teams.  They need to MAN UP with picks like Baun and this guard Simpson maybe in 3.  

Bengals have had finesse players.  As Forrest Gregg said coming in, The Bengals are Weak and you can NOT be WEAK in the AFC North against Ravens, Steelers and Browns. 

Good point. I've heard mixed things about Simpson though. I might be inclined to go Robert Hunt or Nick Harris if I wanted a guard in round 3. I know Harris played C for the Huskies, but he's good. I'm sure he could play the G spot. LOL

Jones or Baun for me in the 2nd. 

If Jones, then ADG in 3.
If Baun, then Prince WTFenoa or a guard in 3.

I know we'd miss out on the some good WRs, but I think the Oline is a higher priority for both Joes. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: According to Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio, he was there all week and thought that Malik Harrison looked much better than Baun. So, according to scouts in the know, Baun shouldn't be the pick when you can get the same player in the 3rd Round.
I'm OK on Harrison.  I would not go on just one week at Senior Bowl.  Brooks and Baun were in Butkus Award and came in behind Simmons.   So we lost Brooks but can get Baun who had a Butkus Award Season to go with a good Senior Bowl.

Again, Rams, Seahawks, Packers sites are all over Baun in 2.  Not Harrison, but Baun.  I say if Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun, then Bengals should also.  He would be our SAM LB the moment we draft him.  We get a dominate LB that we need. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: According to Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio, he was there all week and thought that Malik Harrison looked much better than Baun. So, according to scouts in the know, Baun shouldn't be the pick when you can get the same player in the 3rd Round.
I'm OK on Harrison.  I would not go on just one week at Senior Bowl.  Brooks and Baun were in Butkus Award and came in behind Simmons.   So we lost Brooks but can get Baun who had a Butkus Award Season to go with a good Senior Bowl.

Again, Rams, Seahawks, Packers sites are all over Baun in 2.  Not Harrison, but Baun.  I say if Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun, then Bengals should also.  He would be our SAM LB the moment we draft him.  We get a dominate LB that we need. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:11 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm OK on Harrison.  I would not go on just one week at Senior Bowl.  Brooks and Baun were in Butkus Award and came in behind Simmons.   So we lost Brooks but can get Baun who had a Butkus Award Season to go with a good Senior Bowl.

We use a true SAM LB less than 20% of the time.  Not sure I'm using a pick that high on a guy like that.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If you want to "man up"

Then you go with both picks in the trenches.  Epanesa would be a great fit on the line and could play multiple positions - DT, DE etc.  We obviously need help on the O-line as well.  There's no way I would go linebacker at 33, especially with a guy like Baun.  We need a guy that can cover TEs and RBs on 3rd downs, there are better options than him for those things.

We still have Atkins and Dunlap.  We don't need D Line or Edge Rusher as much as LB and O Line.   LB and O Line have really stunk up the place on Bengals in 2017, 2018, 2019.   If we don't get LB and O Line then changing QB will do us No Good at all.   Baun is NOT an edge rusher although he can do that.  He is a SAM LB that needs to play off the line more than on the line.  Seattle wants him to be their new Seahawks LB that makes their D both a 4-3 and a 3-4 with such a SAM LB.   The Rams and Packers looking at Baun same way.   The heck with them, WE NEED LINEBACKER. 

If you watch the Bengals every game last 3 years,  you know we need LB and O Line tonight in Rounds 2 and 3, because Bengals are just awful on LB TACKLING and O Line BLOCKING.  We don't improve on 2 wins without an upgrade. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:39 PM)kevin Wrote: We still have Atkins and Dunlap.  We don't need D Line or Edge Rusher as much as LB and O Line.   LB and O Line have really stunk up the place on Bengals in 2017, 2018, 2019.   If we don't get LB and O Line then changing QB will do us No Good at all.   Baun is NOT an edge rusher although he can do that.  He is a SAM LB that needs to play off the line more than on the line.  Seattle wants him to be their new Seahawks LB that makes their D both a 4-3 and a 3-4 with such a SAM LB.   The Rams and Packers looking at Baun same way.   The heck with them, WE NEED LINEBACKER. 

If you watch the Bengals every game last 3 years,  you know we need LB and O Line tonight in Rounds 2 and 3, because Bengals are just awful on LB TACKLING and O Line BLOCKING.  We don't improve on 2 wins without an upgrade. 

Yep - and that's why I'm taking a guy like Willie Gay who has a phenomenal coverage grade in his career at MSU.  We need LBs that can cover.  Period.  I'm sick of seeing RBs and TEs running around uncovered and moving the chains on 3rd downs.  Baun is a typical 3-4 outside LB.  We are in nickel roughly 80% of the time.  Give me a guy that can cover the middle of the field - that's not Baun.

You keep saying we get pushed around  That starts on the lines.  Reader will help immensely on that front.  Epenesa isn't really an edge guy, I think he can play anywhere along the line.  He would definitely make this team tougher up front.

As for the O-line....  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we drafted 2 OGs and a RT in the next 2 days.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: As for the O-line....  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we drafted 2 OGs and a RT in the next 2 days.

I dig it!

I like John Simpson for LG in the 3rd and Solomon Kindley for RG in the 5th.
Reply/Quote
what wins a Superbowl drafting a round 1 receiver in the 2nd round with unbelievable athletic upside or an athletically average tweener? spoiler alert if you said a linebacker your just wrong. There will be backers available in the 3rd round. That said Baun is better than Drew Sample so no complaints from me.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 01:17 PM)kevin Wrote: If the Rams, Seahawks, Packers want Baun soon, why not Bengals ?  With Brooks gone, lets look closer at Baun.  

Baun is not a pure edge rusher.  He has to play SAM LB and off the ball and is good at pure linebacker open field tackling.  He can pass cover as good or better than Brooks.  He can make plays in the backfield as well as Brooks. He can rush the QB as well as Brooks.  He is a Tackling Machine against the best teams in college like Brooks.  

In fact, Baun might be better than Brooks.  Watch Highlight Film and Baun much like Brooks.

Seahawks want him because he can play 4-3 but makes 4-3 like a 3-4 also.  Seahawks, Rams, Packers sites all have them locked and loaded to take Baun soon in 2.  BUT BENGALS NEED A LINEBACKER

I'll add that Baun was nominated for Butkus Award and had a good Senior Bowl that Zac Taylor and staff were at.  Plus Zac Taylor from Rams and both Rams and Seahawks are ready to grab Baun.  

Maybe trade down a few spots, let some team move up to get one of the top safeties or running backs at 33.  We add an extra pick and grab Baun not to far from 33.  It can't be too far from 33 because Rams, Seahawks and Packers want him, and maybe some other teams.

We lost out on Brooks.  Baun may be just as good or better.  We can still get a Linebacker

FWIW, Dave Lapham has said all the scouts he's talked with have Baun as a late 2nd to early 3rd round prospect.  Doesn't sound like the type of guy the Bengals would target at 33.
Reply/Quote