Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Safeties Getting Toasted
The end of the Steelers game, where was the safeties. Yes there was what looked like an illegal pick that wasn't called. Still, why no safeties helping out with Antonio Brown. For 40 yards, nobody between Antonio Brown and the end zone. In Chiefs game Williams and Bates got lit up all night. Plays happen, they just aren't there. Williams was just awful. We can blame Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard and all the linebackers including Burfict for bad play lately, but they are suppose to be getting help from the safeties and our safeties are never there to help.

Bengals lost Nelson and never ever replaced him. Then they cut IIoka who Zimmer with Vikings grabbed pretty fast. It could be coaches have the new Bengals safeties out of position. In all fairness to Bates, he is very young and green and team is accepting the rookie mistakes as he learns on the field. There isn't much excuse for Williams who just looks pretty bad. I think any NFL teams linebackers and cornerbacks are going to get burned if they don't have safeties on the field in a 9 man defense. That is how bad the Bengals safeties are because it looks like a 9 man defense with them never giving cover support.

I hope we beat Tampa, but they have a tight end and receivers that will kill us if we are in a 9 man defense if these safeties are lousy all game. Bengals need to get back end support on plays because you can't win with a 9 man defense.

( I typed and posted this once, yet it is on here twice. Site will not let me delete the duplicate. If the Moderators can remove one, because this sites edit and delete system always says error and will not allow a member to delete. It can only be done by Moderators now. )
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The end of the Steelers game, where was the safeties. Yes there was what looked like an illegal pick that wasn't called. Still, why no safeties helping out with Antonio Brown. For 40 yards, nobody between Antonio Brown and the end zone. In Chiefs game Williams and Bates got lit up all night. Plays happen, they just aren't there. Chiefs receivers in end zone with no Bengal in the TV picture near them. Williams was just awful. We can blame Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard and all the linebackers including Burfict for bad play lately, but they are suppose to be getting help from the safeties and our safeties are never there to help.

Bengals lost Nelson and never ever replaced him. Then they cut IIoka who Zimmer with Vikings grabbed pretty fast. It could be coaches have the new Bengals safeties out of position. In all fairness to Bates, he is very young and green and team is accepting the rookie mistakes as he learns on the field. There isn't much excuse for Williams who just looks pretty bad. I think any NFL teams linebackers and cornerbacks are going to get burned if they don't have safeties on the field in a 9 man defense. That is how bad the Bengals safeties are because it looks like a 9 man defense with them never giving cover support.

I hope we beat Tampa, but they have a tight end and receivers that will kill us if we are in a 9 man defense if these safeties are lousy all game. Bengals need to get back end support on plays because you can't win with a 9 man defense.

( For some reason I typed and posted this once and it has it on here twice. This site will not let me delete the duplicate as it should ).
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
In the Steelers game Williams looked to be covering the tight end while Fedj was sent on a blitz. Bates wasn't even on the field. Blame the play call not the players on that last play.

Bates has actually graded out pretty well this year. This defense has problems but he isn't one of them.

You want to know the biggest problem with the coverage? The linebackers. They have been nonexistent in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:37 PM)MentalRage Wrote: In the Steelers game Williams looked to be covering the tight end while Fedj was sent on a blitz. Bates wasn't even on the field. Blame the play call not the players on that last play.

Bates has actually graded out pretty well this year. This defense has problems but he isn't one of them.

You want to know the biggest problem with the coverage? The linebackers. They have been nonexistent in coverage.

Damn rights MentalRage, Bates has been fantastic for us at Safety, especially for a rookie.

The Linebackers cannot cover or tackle right now. Been beyond sad.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights MentalRage, Bates has been fantastic for us at Safety, especially for a rookie.

The Linebackers cannot cover or tackle right now. Been beyond sad.

The line backing corps and the right side of the Oline are the twin achilles heels of this team right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The line backing corps and the right side of the Oline are the twin achilles heels of this team right now.

You know it.
Reply/Quote
No safties on Brown's TD because they were in cover 0
Reply/Quote
Safties have their own responsibilities in coverage. Sometimes they help with with double team, but often they have their own man to cover.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Safties have their own responsibilities in coverage.  Sometimes they help with with double team, but often they have their own man to cover.

Well, that depends on the scheme then. Man coverage against Brown isn't the brightest idea, nor is leaving the middle of the field open. I didn't blame the safeties for that, but the defensive play call, but I'm also not that football smart and just want to throw it out there regardless.
Reply/Quote
As far as the Brown TD...We all out blitzed...Both safeties blitzed.....4 receivers and 4 CBs, one on one
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 11:37 PM)spazz70 Wrote: As far as the Brown TD...We all out blitzed...Both safeties blitzed.....4 receivers and 4 CBs, one on one

Plus Ben hard counted and got our guys to tip the blitz which he then audibled to AB for the winning play.
Reply/Quote
For whatever reason these safeties are never in position to make plays. Not an 11 man defense but a 9 man defense because the Bengals safeties are never near the football. Even Tampa will beat us if our safeties are so non existent that it is like a 9 man defense.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Still, our safeties are never near the football. This makes it not an 11 man defense but a 9 man defense. Even Tampa will beat us if Bengals look like a 9 man defense with safeties never near the ball.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:27 PM)kevin Wrote: The end of the Steelers game, where was the safeties. Yes there was what looked like an illegal pick that wasn't called. Still, why no safeties helping out with Antonio Brown.  For 40 yards, nobody between Antonio Brown and the end zone. In Chiefs game Williams and Bates got lit up all night.  Plays happen, they just aren't there. Williams was just awful.  We can blame Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard and all the linebackers including Burfict for bad play lately, but they are suppose to be getting help from the safeties and our safeties are never there to help.  

Bengals lost Nelson and never ever replaced him. Then they cut IIoka who Zimmer with Vikings grabbed pretty fast. It could be coaches have the new Bengals safeties out of position.  In all fairness to Bates, he is very young and green and team is accepting the rookie mistakes as he learns on the field.  There isn't much excuse for Williams who just looks pretty bad. I think any NFL teams linebackers and cornerbacks are going to get burned if they don't have safeties on the field in a 9 man defense.  That is how bad the Bengals safeties are because it looks like a 9 man defense with them never giving cover support.

I hope we beat Tampa, but they have a tight end and receivers that will kill us if we are in a 9 man defense if these safeties are lousy all game.  Bengals need to get back end support on plays because you can't win with a 9 man defense.

( I typed and posted this once, yet it is on here twice.  Site will not let me delete the duplicate. If the Moderators can remove one, because this sites edit and delete system always says error and will not allow a member to delete. It can only be done by Moderators now. )

They are going to struggle to beat the bucs,but SHOULD win just because they are at home.If this was an away game they go down in a cloud of dust.This team is just not that good and the people picking the talent are horrible and a lot of these players would never make a roster on a pro team.a lot of them would never have been drafted and these coaches are average and it shows by the talent on the field.To come out in prime time and not play nfl football falls on these goofy coaches and the lack of talent on the field and all of this is on Marvin Lewis.He has the final say and he is awlful.Until new leadership is running things and that means the front office as well,I mean the injuries this place has year after year after year,should tell all of us we need a brand new conditioning coach plus many more.People been here in key positions way too long and are not getting it done.I give up.I see an 8 AND 8 season,Marvin Lewis gets outcoached every game,He needs to retire.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2018, 07:09 AM)kevin Wrote: Still, our safeties are never near the football. This makes it not an 11 man defense but a 9 man defense.  Even Tampa will beat us if Bengals look like a 9 man defense with safeties never near the ball.

Williams, Bates and Fejedelem have 4 ints and 2 forced Fumbles.
Reply/Quote
Time to bring Kevin K and Crocker out of retirement again.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 02:27 PM)kevin Wrote: The end of the Steelers game, where was the safeties. Yes there was what looked like an illegal pick that wasn't called. Still, why no safeties helping out with Antonio Brown.  For 40 yards, nobody between Antonio Brown and the end zone. In Chiefs game Williams and Bates got lit up all night.  Plays happen, they just aren't there. Williams was just awful.  We can blame Kirkpatrick, Jackson, Dennard and all the linebackers including Burfict for bad play lately, but they are suppose to be getting help from the safeties and our safeties are never there to help.  

Bengals lost Nelson and never ever replaced him. Then they cut IIoka who Zimmer with Vikings grabbed pretty fast. It could be coaches have the new Bengals safeties out of position.  In all fairness to Bates, he is very young and green and team is accepting the rookie mistakes as he learns on the field.  There isn't much excuse for Williams who just looks pretty bad. I think any NFL teams linebackers and cornerbacks are going to get burned if they don't have safeties on the field in a 9 man defense.  That is how bad the Bengals safeties are because it looks like a 9 man defense with them never giving cover support.

I hope we beat Tampa, but they have a tight end and receivers that will kill us if we are in a 9 man defense if these safeties are lousy all game.  Bengals need to get back end support on plays because you can't win with a 9 man defense.

( I typed and posted this once, yet it is on here twice.  Site will not let me delete the duplicate. If the Moderators can remove one, because this sites edit and delete system always says error and will not allow a member to delete. It can only be done by Moderators now. )

it was a cover zero blitz.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 11:38 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: it was a cover zero blitz.

I thought this was obvious. Teryl Austin even came out and said he took the gamble and it just didn't work out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall, the Steelers were on the edge of FG range. Austin likely wanted to be aggressive to either get the sack to force the Steelers out of FG range or at least try to force an errant throw such that Boswell had to go for a 50+ yarder. He didn't want to give up like 5 yards to allow the Steelers a shorter FG because it likely would have resulted in the Steelers still taking the lead but less time on the clock for the Bengals to try to come back on a final drive. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 11:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought this was obvious. Teryl Austin even came out and said he took the gamble and it just didn't work out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I recall, the Steelers were on the edge of FG range. Austin likely wanted to be aggressive to either get the sack to force the Steelers out of FG range or at least try to force an errant throw such that Boswell had to go for a 50+ yarder. He didn't want to give up like 5 yards to allow the Steelers a shorter FG because it likely would have resulted in the Steelers still taking the lead but less time on the clock for the Bengals to try to come back on a final drive. 

You're exactly right.  That was precisely the reasoning behind the call.  While watching the game, and being caught up in the moment, I was like....WTF?  After reading the presser, it made perfect sense to gamble the way he did.  Live by the sword, die by the sword, but it was the right call with time being an obvious factor.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote