Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Season Broken into Four Quarters
First Quarter we went 1-3. The bengals scored 12.25 pts for, and let up 23.5 against. We averaged 236 yards in offense and gave up 364 yards on defense.

The opposing teams we played have averaged 22 pts and 332 yards on offense. The opposing teams allowed 302 yards and 19.5 pts on defense.

This means we gave up 1.475 points and 32 yards more on defense over the teams (to date) opponents. This also means we underperformed on offense and fell short on offense by 66 yards and 7.25 points.

We have our last game of the second quarter and are currently 3-0. The bengals have scored 27.3 points per game, giving up 16.7. We have averaged 331 yards on offense, and allowed 379 on defense. We are scoring over double, and limiting opponents to under 17 a game. On offense we are averaging almost 100 yards more per game.

This means held our opponents to 6.7 points less than their average while allowing them 37 yards more on defense over the teams (to date) opponents. This also means we underperformed on offense from a yardage standpoint by only 2.3 yards but scored 6.1 more than their season average.

If we can look past the first abysmal first quarter with the injury and projected our second quarter pts/yards over 7 games (not fair, but it is what it is).

Our rankings are as follows:
Yards O - 13th
Pts O - 5th (tied with SF)

Yards D - 28th
Pts D - 3rd

Long story short, we have greatly improved in some areas and are still objectively bad in others. Some garbage time yards in the two bigger wins (Arizona and San Fran) have really skewed the defense yards, but it needs to get cleaned up.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 12:01 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: First Quarter we went 1-3. The bengals scored 12.25 pts for, and let up 23.5 against. We averaged 236 yards in offense and gave up 364 yards on defense.

The opposing teams we played have averaged 22 pts and 332 yards on offense. The opposing teams allowed 302 yards and 19.5 pts on defense.

This means we gave up 1.475 points and 32 yards more on defense over the teams (to date) opponents. This also means we underperformed on offense and fell short on offense by 66 yards and 7.25 points.

We have our last game of the second quarter and are currently 3-0. The bengals have scored 27.3 points per game, giving up 16.7. We have averaged 331 yards on offense, and allowed 379 on defense. We are scoring over double, and limiting opponents to under 17 a game. On offense we are averaging almost 100 yards more per game.

This means held our opponents to 6.7 points less than their average while allowing them 37 yards more on defense over the teams (to date) opponents. This also means we underperformed on offense from a yardage standpoint by only 2.3 yards but scored 6.1 more than their season average.

If we can look past the first abysmal first quarter with the injury and projected our second quarter pts/yards over 7 games (not fair, but it is what it is).

Our rankings are as follows:
Yards O - 13th
Pts O - 5th (tied with SF)

Yards D - 28th
Pts D - 3rd

Long story short, we have greatly improved in some areas and are still objectively bad in others. Some garbage time yards in the two bigger wins (Arizona and San Fran) have really skewed the defense yards, but it needs to get cleaned up.

Good stuff, thanks, Bug.

I think the team and the coaches themselves are ok with the garbage time yards, probably to ensure no injuries and to drain clock: almost like a necessary evil.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Although it won't make sene arithmatically, I think we are in the third quarter already.

First quarter was hobbled Burrow. 1-3.

Second quarter was hurting Burrow. 2-0 + the bye.

Third quarter is almost healthy/healthy Burrow. 1-0 so far. I'd put this quarter thru the post bye guantlet: at SF, Buffalo, Houston, at Baltimore, Steelers, at Jaguars.

I'd peg the 4th quarter as the last 5. Hopefully a touch of a breather with home games to the QB hurting Colts & Vikes, followed by the tough final three: at Pitt, at KC, hosting Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
Cool thread Bengalbug. Cool

Love those points rankings on both sides of the ball. Also, I might add that Burrow wasn't completely healthy until
this last 49ers game either. The 2 games before he clearly was still hobbled, we saw it in the 2nd half against the
Squawks where his inaccuracy showed up again. The bye week was greatly needed.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, a lot of those yards are garbage time (105 just from SF).
Reply/Quote
gotta find a way to avoid the yearly slow start
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 09:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta find a way to avoid the yearly slow start

I would suggest having Joe Burrow healthy would be a good place to start...

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 09:26 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I would suggest having Joe Burrow healthy would be a good place to start...

Yes, pretty hard to avoid the slow start this year with what happened...

Hindsight is 20/20, but still think the coaches should of went into more of a running Offense and maybe we would of 
pulled out a game, but who knows?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 09:26 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I would suggest having Joe Burrow healthy would be a good place to start...

Yes but the rest of the team was also playing Bad.. WRs OL etc they were healthy all preseason
Reply/Quote
1-3 in the first quarter
4-0 in the second quarter, and maybe the hardest quarter of the season (Seattle, SF, Buff)

Q3 on deck.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:39 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 1-3 in the first quarter
4-0 in the second quarter, and maybe the hardest quarter of the season (Seattle, SF, Buff)

Q3 on deck.

Gonna be fun.  Smirk
Reply/Quote