Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Shouldn't Worry About Senior Bowl.
I know teams like to scout the Senior Bowl. It's not as talent filled as decades ago. The main thing is to get the Head Coach in and let him bring in the right coaches. That is far more important than Senior Bowl. There will be other years, other Senior Bowls. Bengals can send Tobin and what few scouts they have to this week of workouts. Getting coaches in. Coming up with a play book. Getting ready for Free Agency, Combine, looking at Bengals to keep or dump by new coaches. These things far above Senior Bowl.

It sounds pretty official that it is Zac Taylor, old rough and ready. All guess work on coaches he will want around him. If Rams beat Saints and go Super Bowl, Bengals have a wait coming. It's OK, just get the right coaches in. Since Taylor is only 35, I'm sure Bengals hoping he puts in a good system and is around a lifetime.

I now change last weeks of season mood of Doubtful as in Bleak to Hopeful since there are some changes coming, hopefully for the better. This team needed a shake-up. The players take too many plays off. You see it last few years as Bengals D players stand there and watch guys go by them, not even trying to make a play. Especially in the Secondary. Plays where CB's and Safeties all together stopped as if play over, watching opposing player with ball come at them and go right by them. Worst football I've ever seen. These so called stars need a huge Wake Up Call. We need quicker, faster players with high motor that don't take plays off.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
No...they need to scout the senior bowl. The coaches will be in place within a day or two of Taylor being officially named. They can talk on planes, over dinners, etc while down there about different things but they need to be at the Senior Bowl. This is actually one of the most talented rosters they have had down there in a while, especially at the QB position. For everyone who doesn't like Driskell as the back up this is really a big deal then.
Reply/Quote
https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

Out of the top 100 overall, 12 offensive lineman here on this board will be at the Senior Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:19 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board

Out of the top 100 overall, 12 offensive lineman here on this board will be at the Senior Bowl.

That's incentive to go right there!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah lets flip a coin or listen to other draft gurus to pick our players. Without a semblance of scouting department the Bengals ability to evaluate talent head to head is essential. Every scout, coach and executive need to have their nose to the ground during the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: No...they need to scout the senior bowl. The coaches will be in place within a day or two of Taylor being officially named. They can talk on planes, over dinners, etc while down there about different things but they need to be at the Senior Bowl. This is actually one of the most talented rosters they have had down there in a while, especially at the QB position. For everyone who doesn't like Driskell as the back up this is really a big deal then.

And they need to attend the practices.  That is where guys like Cooper Cupp out of a small school really stood out and earned a higher draft slot.  They see the linemen going against each other in practice and they can see how they match up as well as their work ethic. 

I love Senior Bowl week.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 10:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And they need to attend the practices.  That is where guys like Cooper Cupp out of a small school really stood out and earned a higher draft slot.  They see the linemen going against each other in practice and they can see how they match up as well as their work ethic. 

I love Senior Bowl week.  

I agree with the sentiment, but Cooper Kupp was a known commodity by most. No matter what, the staff and or scouts need to be there. You don't punt on one of the premier scouting events of the year. Skipping the combine is actually a better idea than the Senior Bowl.
Reply/Quote
They are already missing scouting the East/West Shrine Game (and this past week of practice).

Hopefully they'll catch some of the Seniorbowl. But it's not guaranteed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: They are already missing scouting the East/West Shrine Game (and this past week of practice).

I'm sure they must have somebody there.  This would seem to be what the scouts they do have are for.  And there's no reason why Duke wouldn't be there too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: They are already missing scouting the East/West Shrine Game (and this past week of practice).

I don't know who was at the East West Shrine but the Bengals did have one prospect meeting with Kentucky CB Derrick Baity.

Edit: The Senior Bowl is huge and they still have enough staff and consultants in place to scout.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 01:04 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't know who was at the East West Shrine but the Bengals did have one prospect meeting with Kentucky CB Derrick Baity.

Edit: The Senior Bowl is huge and they still have enough staff and consultants in place to scout.

Can he tackle, cover tight ends, or block?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 01:10 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Can he tackle, cover tight ends, or block?

I don't know much about him other than he's a tall 6'2 but on the leaner side. He had a decent week in practice being one of the couple corners that could defend against the better Wide Receiver talent they had at the East West Shrine.

Derrick Baity is #6 on the East Team. Emory Hunt (Football Gameplan) has youtube coverage of the practices that I posted in the draft section.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:24 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That's incentive to go right there!

It is...The collection is not really a watered down one.  Cajuste T, Risner T, Dillard T, McGary T, Lindstrom G, and Deiter G...I would think all could be on the Bengal's radar at some point amid others.
Reply/Quote
I have to believe every team including the Bengals will have someone to scout the new guys.. If not there in person they'll have plenty of film on them and so on not to mention consultants and so forth. I just don't believe that even the lowly Bengals would just shoot in the dark with nobody even vaguely aware of college players. College football is and always will be the future of every team and they all know that. And who knows..perhaps MB will pull his usual blind squirrel routine and find an acorn 10 miles from the nearest oak tree.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I would pay close attention to the offensive linemen. I swear, one draft "pundit" would have a guy rated as a first rounder and the next "pundit" rates him as a 6-7th rounder. Better to see for yourselves.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 08:29 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Yeah, I would pay close attention to the offensive linemen. I swear, one draft "pundit" would have a guy rated as a first rounder and the next "pundit" rates him as a 6-7th rounder. Better to see for yourselves.

Those extreme examples are quite rare, but yes, there does seem to be some disparity among ratings services.  Could be attributed to some sort of favoritism, maybe?  I don't know for sure, but when I see some service rating plater "out of line" with the majority of services, I start wondering where they are getting their money from.  

In this day and age of technology, where pretty much everyone has access to everyone's game footage, legal and personal records, etc., I find it odd if a particular service varies much from the pack.  Sure, you can go on old fashioned intuition, and find a hidden gem here or there, and the law of averages shows that typically approximately (X)% of highly projected guys just won't live up to expectations, etc., but when a particular service is typically different from the majority?  I call foul.  The guys that dedicate their careers to putting a value on a player's performance have a duty to be honest, and it shows by the bulk of them being in agreement.  If they aren't honest and objective, their careers will be short because of it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
According to some draft pundits, there is more talent in this years Shrine game than in any time in recent memory. The best from the Shrine game will get invited to the Senior Bowl. So they shouldn't miss it. And I doubt they will.  We still have Duke and Bill Tobin, Mike Potts, Andrew Johnson, and Christian Sarkisian in the scouting department. I'm sure there will be some scouts from Cincinnati even if there is no head coach.
Reply/Quote
If there's not as many big names or can't miss prospects there, then that's all the more reason that we need to scout it.

Everybody knows the big name prospects and there's lots of reports and coverage of them, but the best teams fine late-round sleepers or small school guys that don't get as much attention, and that's where you fill out your roster with quality players or get stars in the waiting.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 08:58 AM)kevin Wrote: I know teams like to scout the Senior Bowl. It's not as talent filled as decades ago.  The main thing is to get the Head Coach in and let him bring in the right coaches.  That is far more important than Senior Bowl.  There will be other years, other Senior Bowls.  Bengals can send  Tobin and what few scouts they have to this week of workouts.  Getting coaches in. Coming up with a play book. Getting ready for Free Agency, Combine, looking at Bengals to keep or dump by new coaches. These things far above Senior Bowl.

It sounds pretty official that it is Zac Taylor, old rough and ready. All guess work on coaches he will want around him. If Rams beat Saints and go Super Bowl, Bengals have a wait coming. It's OK, just get the right coaches in.  Since Taylor is only 35, I'm sure Bengals hoping he puts in a good system and is around a lifetime.

I now change last weeks of season mood of Doubtful as in Bleak to Hopeful since there are some changes coming, hopefully for the better. This team needed a shake-up.  The players take too many plays off.  You see it last few years as Bengals D players stand there and watch guys go by them, not even trying to make a play. Especially in the Secondary.  Plays where CB's and Safeties all together stopped as if play over, watching opposing player with ball come at them and go right by them. Worst football I've ever seen. These so called stars need a huge Wake Up Call. We need quicker, faster players with high motor that don't take plays off.

I cannot imagine the team not having people at the Senior Bowl this weekend and the East/West Shrine game next weekend. We've got 7 picks to make and the 11th overall. With clear and definite holes to fill it would be a mistake to not maximize the use of these picks. It would be a shame if the team wasted this year's pick by not being fully prepared.

There are very few players on this team that should consider their jobs completely safe.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 10:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: I agree with the sentiment, but Cooper Kupp was a known commodity by most. No matter what, the staff and or scouts need to be there. You don't punt on one of the premier scouting events of the year. Skipping the combine is actually a better idea than the Senior Bowl.

It would be really interesting to see if one team could be tracked for a decade with absolutely no combine information.  Only game film and private workouts.  The only thing they would be informed of is injuries and failed drug tests.  
Reply/Quote