Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Sign OT/G Bobby Hart
(02-19-2018, 11:50 AM)Shouldamapads Wrote: It's always amazing to me how the Steelers and other clubs are able to manipulate and make things work, but we are always "up against the cap", yet never use it and have a pile sitting there every season.

Bengals actually spent more than the league cap in both '15 and '16.  They were able to do that because Mike rolled over the cap space to use instead of pocketing the money.
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with the Hart signing, but Hobson's propaganda article about how this signing somehow having Frank Pollack's handprints on it is a joke. Sign some real free agent OL and grab a few high round OL in the draft, and I'll believe changes are coming.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 04:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Harts contract will tell you all you need to know about how much of a role the invision him in.  Lets see what that is I'm guessing Vet Min

That's the problem right there you instantly assume this guy will be starting...  This guy if he wins a spot sure let him play  Most likely is here to see if he can beat out aging vets like Winston for a backup role... OR add competition to the young guys like Redmon Westerman Hopkins(trey)  

I see him competiting for OG being an emergency OT.  if he makes the squad....  At the very least he can play multiple spots on the OL during camp.  which we need bodies at with Fisher still an unknown. and Winston pushing 40

Now if at the end of free agency (which again hasn't started yet)  this is our only OL move.... Then yeah color me concerned.  But this signing means little to nothing right now.

This was my post that you replied to:

Quote:Marvin saying "The offensive line is a focus area for us and this is one of various steps we are taking to improve our performance." implies that Hart will have a role. One does not "improve performance" by sitting on the bench. Hobspin suggesting that this proves the Bengals are serious about fixing the line also makes it seem like Hart will have a serious shot at starting, at the very least. Sure, we might sign someone good in FA (color me pessimistic on that, based on our past), but that doesn't mean people can't be less than thrilled at the prospect of this guy starting.

Where did I assume anything? 

I have only said that - based on Marvin and Hobson's comments - that it looks like he has a good chance of making the roster and competing for a starting role. It doesn't seem like we're far off on that opinion. Even if this guy is being looked at as an Anthony Collins type, I'm not sure this is the guy I want as the #1 guy off the bench...based on his PFF numbers, which - lets face it - are all we have to form an opinion around right now. 

I'm less upset about that than I am at the possibility that THIS is the Bengals big FA move to address the line. Sure, it's way early and they could still do something, but would it surprise any of us if this is it? As for how much Hart makes, I'm not sure it matters. We are talking about the team that spent the least amount of money on it's line last year, right?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Didn't waste my time with the Hobson article. I assume he made this signing out to be a game-changer for the Bengals, with Bobby Hart becoming a perennial Pro Bowler.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals actually spent more than the league cap in both '15 and '16.  They were able to do that because Mike rolled over the cap space to use instead of pocketing the money.

AS I understand it's use it or lose it.  My point is that other teams find a way to get deals done for needed players.  

I am a bit surprised to hear we used the reserves, but glad in some ways.

SOme personnel changes probably are in order for this team to maximize free agency- question is does the team have the balls to part with Jones, Johnson, etc to make that happen.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote