Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Slide
The Cincinnati Bengals have not won a game against a team with a winning record since Nov. 1st 2015 vs the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field. Their only win streak (in what amounts to a full season, last half of last year/first half of this season) 2 wins or more in a row was against the Rams (7-9) and Browns (3-13) happened on Nov. 29th and Dec. 6th of last season. Since then they're 5-6-1. Their overall record over the 16 games is 7-8-1. Add in playoff meltdown 7-9-1

In the 9 games they've lost or tied, all against winning teams, they've averaged scoring 18.3 points and have only scored more than 20 twice. 31 against the Cardinals last season and 27 against the Redskins this season.

They've averaged giving up 26.6 points and have had 28 or more hung on them 5 times. They're on pace right now to give up the most points in a long time, maybe forever, I forget. Point is things aren't looking good.

Can we stop this slide back into mediocrity ? The back half of this season is no joke. The Giants are 5-3 and playing very competitive, they beat the Cowboys. The Bills are on their bye week and even though they're 4-5 they're no slouch either. They've beat the Patriots this season and have been very much in every one of their losses.

Then of course we've got the Ravens twice, the Eagles, the Texans, and Steelers. We have 3 PT games and we all know about that. This team has to win 6 games in 2nd half to have any chance IMHO. Which means stringing 3 together and against good/winning teams.

I just don't think it's in em.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thought this meant a cool new ride had opened at King's Island Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:32 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Thought this meant a cool new ride had opened at King's Island  Sad

They did but it already got shut down because Tez got his fat ass stuck in it.

[Image: th?id=OIP.Mb060c2449aecf5e8035368d5e4f62...=227&h=171]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals have not won a game against a team with a winning record since Nov. 1st 2015 vs the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field. Their only win streak (in what amounts to a full season, last half of last year/first half of this season) 2 wins or more in a row was against the Rams (7-9) and Browns (3-13) happened on Nov. 29th and Dec. 6th of last season. Since then they're 5-6-1. Their overall record over the 16 games is 7-8-1. Add in playoff meltdown 7-9-1

In the 9 games they've lost or tied, all against winning teams, they've averaged scoring 18.3 points and have only scored more than 20 twice. 31 against the Cardinals last season and 27 against the Redskins this season.

They've averaged giving up 26.6 points and have had 28 or more hung on them 5 times. They're on pace right now to give up the most points in a long time, maybe forever, I forget. Point is things aren't looking good.

Can we stop this slide back into mediocrity ? The back half of this season is no joke. The Giants are 5-3 and playing very competitive, they beat the Cowboys. The Bills are on their bye week and even though they're 4-5 they're no slouch either. They've beat the Patriots this season and have been very much in every one of their losses.

Then of course we've got the Ravens twice, the Eagles, the Texans, and Steelers. We have 3 PT games and we all know about that. This team has to win 6 games in 2nd half to have any chance IMHO. Which means stringing 3 together and against good/winning teams.

If memory serves, didn't this slide begin with that game against Houston at PBS? The one where the offense managed only 6 points?

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:32 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Thought this meant a cool new ride had opened at King's Island  Sad

There was, Guenther opened it up but then Marvin shut it down.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If memory serves, didn't this slide begin with that game against Houston at PBS? The one where the offense managed only 6 points?

Pretty much, they scored 31 against the Cardinals the following week in a losing effort. But yes since then we've basically stunk against any kind of competition.
Reply/Quote
The Browns might get their only win this year against the Bengals.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:32 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Browns might get their only win this year against the Bengals.

Oh God, would that suck. If that happens the fork will be put in us. All done for the year. Take January off. Go to Hawaii as a spectator, not a player.

Reply/Quote
Am usually the optimist

but no doubt it is going to be tough to make the playoffs from this self dug hole.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bengals offense will be fine. We have been playing a lot better the last few weeks IMO. I'm just worried about the defense. I'm hoping it improves, but I don't think that it will be anywhere as dominant as last year's. We still have a good chance to beat most of the teams the rest of the season. The division is really weak so we still have a good chance to win the division. I doubt we win in the playoffs unless we get a weak opponent.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 01:57 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Bengals offense will be fine. We have been playing a lot better the last few weeks IMO. I'm just worried about the defense. I'm hoping it improves, but I don't think that it will be anywhere as dominant as last year's. We still have a good chance to beat most of the teams the rest of the season. The division is really weak so we still have a good chance to win the division. I doubt we win in the playoffs unless we get a weak opponent.

I applaud your optimism Brownshoe and I really hope they do turn it around. But it's going to have to be a total 180 from where they've been for the last 16 games.

I believe this team is in the midst of a bad downward spiral. I think it's more than just the RT, more than just the DC or OC. More than just stinking in the redzone, and on and on.

Maualuga and Burfict are 25 lbs. overweight, A. Jones is throwing hissy fits on the field. Peko is in on the total lack of discipline game. Marvin is undercutting Guenther in public. We have no ability according to some (I call BS) to coach up a very not NFL ready RT in season. The list goes on and on.

I think this team needs major coaching changes and mid level player swap outs to get the edge back. Of course we know MB will not do that, sadly.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I applaud your optimism Brownshoe and I really hope they do turn it around. But it's going to have to be a total 180 from where they've been for the last 16 games.

I believe this team is in the midst of a bad downward spiral. I think it's more than just the RT, more than just the DC or OC. More than just stinking in the redzone, and on and on.

Maualuga and Burfict are 25 lbs. overweight, A. Jones is throwing hissy fits on the field. Peko is in on the total lack of discipline game. Marvin is undercutting Guenther in public. We have no ability according to some (I call BS) to coach up a very not NFL ready RT in season. The list goes on and on.

I think this team needs major coaching changes and mid level player swap outs to get the edge back. Of course we know MB will not do that, sadly.

But that is how we got this point.

Since the current incarnation of the Bengals in 2011, we've stayed very continuous in our coaching staff until this past off season.  Our changes prior were at coordinator, with promotions from within and a single position or quality coach to replace the promotion.

This season we changed all 3 levels of defensive position coaches, and no surprise our defense has been the biggest disappointment.  This is why all 3 levels of the defense have stunk, they are still adjusting to the new coaches.  Having it happen it can be overcome, as the other two can take some of the pressure off of the level in flux.  Change at each level and you have 11 guys working on tweaked techniques and communication.  It's a tall task.  It can be overcome, but it isn't wasy.

This is why consistency brings the best results...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 11:07 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: But that is how we got this point.

Since the current incarnation of the Bengals in 2011, we've stayed very continuous in our coaching staff until this past off season.  Our changes prior were at coordinator, with promotions from within and a single position or quality coach to replace the promotion.

This season we changed all 3 levels of defensive position coaches, and no surprise our defense has been the biggest disappointment.  This is why all 3 levels of the defense have stunk, they are still adjusting to the new coaches.  Having it happen it can be overcome, as the other two can take some of the pressure off of the level in flux.  Change at each level and you have 11 guys working on tweaked techniques and communication.  It's a tall task.  It can be overcome, but it isn't wasy.

This is why consistency brings the best results...

I'm not talking about changing a few position coaches right now. Or releasing Peko, Maualuga, and Adam Jones today. I'm talking about after we finish 7-8-1 this season bring in new HC and let him pick his own staff ! No more P. Alexander, it's time for a new direction on O-line. 

I could go on and on but you get the picture. Very seriously doubt it happens anyways. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 10:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I applaud your optimism Brownshoe and I really hope they do turn it around. But it's going to have to be a total 180 from where they've been for the last 16 games.

I really wouldn't count the last 4 games of the season last year. It's not really fair to do it since we had our backup QB in there. No team, no matter how good the other players or how good the HC is will do nearly as good with a backup QB.

The RT position is defiantly a concern, and I think the coaches never expected it to be that bad. After the first few games they have started to game plan a lot more to help Ced. Our OL will still be kind of shaky, but I think it will improve as time goes on. Hell, it's been improving already. I don't think that Guenther is that big of a problem. I think it's mostly Marvin. You seen how Guenther was wanting to hold our vets accountable and Marvin smacked that idea down in front of everyone. I give Zampese a hard time too, but he's still a first year OC. He's never really been a OC other than one year in college. Once he gets more comfortable he will get better. I don't think he will be as good as what everyone wants him to be, but we still have Dalton to audible out of the horrible plays. Plus we have been a lot better in the red zone the last few weeks. I think we will continue to play well in the red zone with Eifert back.

Most of the problems you listed there (overweight, hissy fits, ect) can all be pointed out on Marvin. I think that the front office is starting to notice how poorly he's been. I don't think he will last much longer in this organization, and I'm one of the people who used to say that Marvin will be here forever. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year here even if we make the playoffs. The only way I see him keeping his job at this point is if we win in the playoffs. The reason I'm saying this is because if the public sees that there's something bad going on in the locker room (Marvin vs Guenther) then the front office has been seeing it for probably the whole year. I don't think that they will allow a dysfunctional locker room + dysfunctional on the field play.

I still have a lot of hope in our offense. I don't have a lot of hope in our defense, but there's a chance we can start playing decent (not great, just decent). If we do that we have a very good chance to go to the playoffs, and we have a alright chance to win in the playoffs. That's how good I think our offense is.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 06:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I really wouldn't count the last 4 games of the season last year. It's not really fair to do it since we had our backup QB in there. No team, no matter how good the other players or how good the HC is will do nearly as good with a backup QB.

The RT position is defiantly a concern, and I think the coaches never expected it to be that bad. After the first few games they have started to game plan a lot more to help Ced. Our OL will still be kind of shaky, but I think it will improve as time goes on. Hell, it's been improving already. I don't think that Guenther is that big of a problem. I think it's mostly Marvin. You seen how Guenther was wanting to hold our vets accountable and Marvin smacked that idea down in front of everyone. I give Zampese a hard time too, but he's still a first year OC. He's never really been a OC other than one year in college. Once he gets more comfortable he will get better. I don't think he will be as good as what everyone wants him to be, but we still have Dalton to audible out of the horrible plays. Plus we have been a lot better in the red zone the last few weeks. I think we will continue to play well in the red zone with Eifert back.

Most of the problems you listed there (overweight, hissy fits, ect) can all be pointed out on Marvin. I think that the front office is starting to notice how poorly he's been. I don't think he will last much longer in this organization, and I'm one of the people who used to say that Marvin will be here forever. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year here even if we make the playoffs. The only way I see him keeping his job at this point is if we win in the playoffs. The reason I'm saying this is because if the public sees that there's something bad going on in the locker room (Marvin vs Guenther) then the front office has been seeing it for probably the whole year. I don't think that they will allow a dysfunctional locker room + dysfunctional on the field play.

I still have a lot of hope in our offense. I don't have a lot of hope in our defense, but there's a chance we can start playing decent (not great, just decent). If we do that we have a very good chance to go to the playoffs, and we have a alright chance to win in the playoffs. That's how good I think our offense is.
 I really don't like to read long posts. However, Brownshoe makes cogent points throughout.

Marvin stepped in it by publically outing his DC. Maybe he is right, but something has to be done with this defense STAT. A former "defensive guru" Ha-ha) should have recognized that many weeks ago. He didn't but the fans and DC did. The FO allowed dysfunction galore throughout the i90's, why not now?

Decent D. will not get it done against the better teams a/o those with winning records, only a  Great defense will prevail. Sadly I don't see that happening with this bunch. But we can hope....
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 08:39 PM)Derrick Wrote:  I really don't like to read long posts.

A.D.D. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 06:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I really wouldn't count the last 4 games of the season last year. It's not really fair to do it since we had our backup QB in there. No team, no matter how good the other players or how good the HC is will do nearly as good with a backup QB.

Over the last 16 games, the games we had with and without Dalton have resulted in the same record except for the tie. Basically .500 for both.

Reply/Quote
Little known fact: Marv and Mikey's favorite movie is The Number 23. Marv doesn't like scoring anything over 23 because it might hurt the feelings of his buddy coach on the other sideline (every coach is Marvy's buddy). Mikey has a crippling fear of drafting anywhere after the number 23.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 10:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals have not won a game against a team with a winning record since Nov. 1st 2015 vs the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field. Their only win streak (in what amounts to a full season, last half of last year/first half of this season) 2 wins or more in a row was against the Rams (7-9) and Browns (3-13) happened on Nov. 29th and Dec. 6th of last season. Since then they're 5-6-1. Their overall record over the 16 games is 7-8-1. Add in playoff meltdown 7-9-1

You also forgot that for six of those games last year, their starting QB was out injured.  For the first six games this season, their starting TE was out.  For the first three games of this season, their starting WILL backer was out.  These will seem like excuses and that is exactly what they are.  I don't understand for the life of me what happened to this team's energy.  I haven't seen it in a long while.  They look lazy and disinterested.  

I blame some on the coaches, and some on the players.  They have a championship-capable squad and they are playing soft defense on all three levels.  It is just so puzzling.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:32 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Browns might get their only win this year against the Bengals.

Because they've been so close the last 4 times they've played? Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote