Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Starting Defense ranked 2nd Oldest in NFL
(01-15-2017, 06:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll be YOUNGER...but will we be BETTER. That's the big question.

For instance, they may replace Zeitler with Westerman. We get younger...but not necessarily better.

I definately think we will be better at DT with Billings in there instead of Peko.

But you are right about Westerman, i loved the pick but letting Zeitler go would be a mistake i am sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 02:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is a perception among fans that the Bengals have a young team on the rise...but that isn't reality any more. After 5 years of playoffs...our core has aged.

Peko, MJ, Dansby, Maualuga, and Jones are all guys getting up there in age and declining.

It's a lot of starters to replace in 1 year.

The boys got old fast. The good thing is we have alot of draft picks this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: The boys got old fast. The good thing is we have alot of draft picks this year.

I'm hoping we can land a couple guys that can come in and start from Game 1. Should be realistic with a top 10 draft pick.

I think William Jackson is a big key to our future. If he can come in and play at a decent level...our defense is so much better.
Reply/Quote
It's funny reading over Model Model from 2012:

"With the Bengals heading into free agency using two of their nemesis as models, look for them to try to bolster one of the NFL's two youngest playoff teams via the draft, keeping their own, and signing solid players after the market peaks."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Model-model/3efe5744-e768-4721-a66d-c2395cfe6f2d
Reply/Quote
We're seeing a difference in opinion play out with Pauly and Marvin on letting young guys play, and not for the first time...if you remember Marvin walking back PGS comments on letting the young guys on December get playing time. PG gets it, Marvin just refuses to see the light.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 11:10 AM)TGISunday Wrote: We're seeing a difference in opinion play out with Pauly and Marvin on letting young guys play, and not for the first time...if you remember Marvin walking back PGS comments on letting the young guys on December get playing time.  PG gets it, Marvin just refuses to see the light.

I think PG isn't married to the vets as much as Marvin is because they don't have such a history together.

You see playing vets over young guys in a lot of sports. For some reason the coaches think that they can't win and play young guys.

And for all we know, if Billings, Hardison, Jackson, Vigil, etc all play heavy snaps next year...the defense may take a step back due to inexperience.
Reply/Quote
No doubt about it..being 30 is the worse thing that could ever happen to anyone. On the other hand you have two options with regards to aging .. A. You can get old or B. You can die. There are no other options available at this time. I should have been dead 27 years ago, but through the miracle of modern medicine I'm still kicking. 
Yeah, I know..disappointing isn't it?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sadly, the window for a championship with much of the current roster has closed. Our next playoff appearance will probably be with 7-8 starters that aren't starting for us now.

How we use 1st Round picks and don't land guys that start Year 1...I don't know. The team has holes and aging guys everywhere.

I seem to recall quite a few of us....you included....opining for top tier FA help to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group.  Of course, the pro-Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv crowd told us we were all nuts.  I sure wish some of that bunch was on here now....... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I seem to recall quite a few of us....you included....opining for top tier FA help to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group.  Of course, the pro-Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv crowd told us we were all nuts.  I sure wish some of that bunch was on here now....... Smirk

Absolutely! I agree that you have to draft well and a team like say the Browns can't go from terrible to a playoff team in free agency...

But when you have a good roster...which we did last year and the year before...that's when you get those 1 or 2 veterans. Instead we leave holes like Center and have fatal flaws that undo us.

And playoff teams absolutely do bring in veterans in free agency. The Packers brought in Charles Woodson and Peppers. The Patriots brought in Revis and some other guys.

We bring in washed up veterans who will sign cheap.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Absolutely! I agree that you have to draft well and a team like say the Browns can't go from terrible to a playoff team in free agency...

But when you have a good roster...which we did last year and the year before...that's when you get those 1 or 2 veterans. Instead we leave holes like Center and have fatal flaws that undo us.

And playoff teams absolutely do bring in veterans in free agency. The Packers brought in Charles Woodson and Peppers. The Patriots brought in Revis and some other guys.

We bring in washed up veterans who will sign cheap.

Which is exactly what we were all saying back then.... :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 02:23 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Dunlap & Geno are pushing 30 as well. A youth movement is needed on D, and this is why they will probably draft defense first, most likely d-line.

Thought this last season when we were primed to make a deep playoff run.

But we draft two project players for the future who may not even pan out. 

Who knows what the heck we will do anymore. 

But the window is damn near closed now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I definately think we will be better at DT with Billings in there instead of Peko.

But you are right about Westerman, i loved the pick but letting Zeitler go would be a mistake i am sure.

Hope so but they said he was getting manhandled by second team players in camp.

Hopefully it was him being injured. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 01:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which is exactly what we were all saying back then.... :andy:

The sad reality is the Bengals are living off of the reputation of drafting Dalton, Green, Dunlap, and Atkins. The recent drafts haven't been that good.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 12:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I seem to recall quite a few of us....you included....opining for top tier FA help to get us over the hump before the window closed on this group.  Of course, the pro-Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv crowd told us we were all nuts.  I sure wish some of that bunch was on here now....... Smirk

I've learned that if you want the Bengals to be aggressive in free agency and try to get a guy or two, then you automatically want them to be the like the Browns, Bucs, or Redskins.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 02:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is a perception among fans that the Bengals have a young team on the rise...but that isn't reality any more. After 5 years of playoffs...our core has aged.

Peko, MJ, Dansby, Maualuga, and Jones are all guys getting up there in age and declining.

It's a lot of starters to replace in 1 year.

This is what happens when draft picks like Hunt, Clarke, Thompson, Still, Hardison, Dawson, Dennard, etc. haven't panned out (yet at least).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 02:27 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I hope we go for some youth in the draft, but I really want Mike Williams. I think this year showed that without AJ our offense doesn't move much. We need some help, for sure.
I get what you're saying, and I like Williams myself. But didn't the offense hit on all cylinders against Philly, and the 2nd Baltimore game? I'm not one of the guys who thinks the team is better without Green, I was kinda puzzled at how they really gelled those two games though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 02:45 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hope so but they said he was getting manhandled by second team players in camp.

Hopefully it was him being injured. 

I heard conflicting reports. Also heard Billings was "immovable".

I doubt Billings was being manhandled. I bet he was just off on his technique and relying too much on his strength.
Reply/Quote