Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals TE not as good as last 2 years.
(12-01-2023, 07:34 AM)Synric Wrote: I hope people don't think Joe Burrow is out there going #1 Chase #2 Tee #3 Boyd.. because he's not. Tight End is apart of the primary read alot that's why they target the position with regularity.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me because I called the TE the 5th option?  If so it is kind of insulting to suggest that anyone, other than jj, doesnt know how this works.

I am NOT talking about option number in regards to pass progression during an offensive play.  That would be stupid to think we have the same order every single pass play and quite easy to defend.  Again, only jj would think this.

My reference to TE being the #5 option is in regards to Targets.

In 2021, Mixon and Perine had over 100 targets, that was more than the TEs, making the TE group the 5th most targeted.

In 2022 Hurst had the 5th most targets.

In 2023 Mixon has double the targets of Hudson and & Irv, three times the number of Sample, and almost 8 times the number of Wilcox.  This season the TE's are the 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th whatever most targeted receivers.  

The last 3 seasons the TE has the 5th most targets, thus they are referred to as the "5th option".   I would like to take credit for this reference term but it has been around for decades.

Other than jj, I am not sure how everyone doesnt know already know this?

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 02:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm not sure if this is directed at me because I called the TE the 5th option?  If so it is kind of insulting to suggest that anyone, other than jj, doesnt know how this works.

I am NOT talking about option number in regards to pass progression during an offensive play.  That would be stupid to think we have the same order every single pass play and quite easy to defend.  Again, only jj would think this.

My reference to TE being the #5 option is in regards to Targets.

In 2021, Mixon and Perine had over 100 targets, that was more than the TEs, making the TE group the 5th most targeted.

In 2022 Hurst had the 5th most targets.

In 2023 Mixon has double the targets of Hudson and & Irv, three times the number of Sample, and almost 8 times the number of Wilcox.  This season the TE's are the 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th whatever most targeted receivers.  

The last 3 seasons the TE has the 5th most targets, thus they are referred to as the "5th option".   I would like to take credit for this reference term but it has been around for decades.

Other than jj, I am not sure how everyone doesnt know already know this?

Not you just directed generally. I see alot of the whole TE isn't apart of the offense crap.

Targets are also a poor way to say the Bengals won't use a TE because that depends on the player. A better TE would get more targets.

As for # in the route progressions because the TE is the underneath receiver they are apart of alot of primary reads so the offense won't have to change. It's easy to see where a good TE can become a major apart of the offense especially of defenses continue to play Cover 2 against Burrow. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 02:24 PM)Synric Wrote: Not you just directed generally. I see alot of the whole TE isn't apart of the offense crap.

Targets are also a poor way to say the Bengals won't use a TE because that depends on the player. A better TE would get more targets.

As for # in the route progressions because the TE is the underneath receiver they are apart of alot of primary reads so the offense won't have to change. It's easy to see where a good TE can become a major apart of the offense especially of defenses continue to play Cover 2 against Burrow. 

I didnt say we do not use the TE.  My point was very clear, we have multiple positions, far more important positions, not playing well this season.  

I think the entire thread is silly by focusing in on the TE because they are not as good as last year. 

I think the multiple posts attempting to "educate" people, most of which are very knowledgeable, is quite comical.  It is like telling Joe Burrow how to handle a blitz.  He knows what a hot read is, it is a very odd look to try and educate him.  We all know about the TE, we all know about progressions.  You are not going to get through to guys like Kevin and jj, but the rest of us know this stuff.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 03:38 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think Hudson might be able to do what Uzomah/Hurst did for the offense.  This is never going to be a TE first offense with Chase on the team.  
The Bengals beat two of the teams you listed this season so maybe not the best examples.  Kelce is a HOF talent with an all time great QB.  Bengals are strong at WR (with healthy Higgins) so TE will only be the 4th or 5th option for them.

I agree Smith stinks but bad TE play is not at the top of the list for things holding this team back. O line is the #1 thing they need to fix.

What Clark here said. I like Hudson as a pass catcher, he is good against the Zone and knows how to find holes in the Defense.

Not as good against Man coverage, but teams play more Zone than Man anyways most of the time now a days. I would like for us 
to add a TE in the Draft while keeping Hudson and Sample around to replace Irv Smith who hasn't been good. If Hudson would of 
been playing all year he could be having just as much production has Uzo/Hurst. Sample is the best blocking TE in the NFL last I 
checked, keep him around.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 03:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Zach Ertz is being waived by Arizona. Maybe Bengals should think about it.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/11/cardinals-to-waive-te-zach-ertz

No chance the Bengals add anyone else to the payroll with Burrow out for the year.
The season is likely over when it comes to the playoffs, and the Bengals don't add players over the age of 30.

We're gonna have to deal with the TEs the Bengals have and see if any are worth potentially re-signing after the season.
I lean toward keeping Hudson, MAYBE Sample (just as a blocker), and drafting a guy to fill out the room.
Or sign Dalton Schultz, but that's probably a pipe dream Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 06:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: QB has not bee as good as last 2 years.
RB has not bee as good as last 2 years.
WR has not bee as good as last 2 years.
LB has not bee as good as last 2 years.
S has not bee as good as last 2 years.

But let's focus on the 5th option in our passing game.....

don't forget the Head coach too..  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Bengals should have figured out a way to keep Samaje Perine and Hayden Hurst.We don’t have that one two punch we had at running back last year.Hayden Hurst got us a lot of big plays in crucial situations.
This Offense is coming up short because of the absence of these two players more than you might think.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 11:05 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Bengals should have figured out a way to keep Samaje Perine and Hayden Hurst.We don’t have that one two punch we had at running back last year.Hayden Hurst got us a lot of big plays in crucial situations.
This Offense is coming up short because of the absence of these two players more than you might think.

Hurst was grossly overpaid.  We would have been crazy to give him a 3-year deal at over $7 million per.  He is 30 this year.

Perine was cheaper, but we are not really missing him.  He was not worth $3.5 million a year to us.  Perine is on his 4th team in 7 years.  He has been cut by multiple NFL teams.  He just is not very good.  He averaged 17.4 yards per game as a Bengals and is down to 15.7 with the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
I like what Hudson has done, but he is not the answer at TE.

I think a lot of people believe he is a rookie or a young player that will develop and get better. But he is 29 and this is his 5th year in the NFL. His receiving numbers are not bad for a "blocking TE", but he can't block very well.
Reply/Quote
They invested very minimally in the te position.
Reply/Quote