Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Team Needs
Figured it'd be good to start a thread for team needs that are immediate and also some other positions that may not be quite immediate but could use an upgrade if one presents itself.

Immediate needs that I see for 2018 (in order):
Left tackle
Center
Right Guard
Right Tackle (if Smith not re-signed)

Other potential needs/upgrades:
DT with pass rush ability (need someone next to Atkins on passing downs and/or replace if he leaves in FA after next year or goes down to injury)
DE (if Dunlap leaves in FA next year)
K (Bullock is short-term and room for improvement)
FS (Iloka is solid and Williams is decent, but a true ball hawk roaming safety might make this DB group elite again)
QB (Dalton is solid, but not elite)
LB? (Burfict is good, VRey is solid, Vigil has gotten worse, but Evans shows promise)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Offensive line- they suck everyone should be on the chopping list except for Boling
S- we need a play maker at safety like we had with Nelson. Iloka isn't that guy he is more of the QB of the secondary but he is asked to play out of his comfort zone way to much this season.
Outside WR- I like Malone but he hasn't done enough yet to warrant a starter position for next season. Ross will be good but reminds me more of a Cobb then a true outside WR. Erickson and Boyd are excellent options in the slot and core is a good special teamer but anything other than that you're pushing it.
TE-Kroft is ok to good, Eifert is great but injury prone, and Uzmanza is an athletic player at this point with not much else to show. Carter and Hewitt are just blockers and special teamer at this point.
inside pass rusher- Chris Smith is s free agent and Geno will be 30 next year.
Edge Rusher- you can never have too many pass rushers
DE- Michael Johnson should be cut and Dunlap will be a free agent after next offseason. Might not be a popular opinion but after Willis we really do not have any traditional Defensive Ends on the roster.
LB- vigil is a disappointment, Vontaz has his issues, V Rey should get cut, and Evans is a future star if given the opportunity.
All in All the Bengals are going to have to address some of these issues in free agency if they want to be contenders next year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that rookies aren’t necessarily going to be playing next year, so some positions of biggest need should be filled via FA.

I mostly agree with the OP:
Oline
DT
Safety
LB
TE

I’m still hoping for a coaching change, so that could affect Dalton’s status and the need to draft a QB early.
Reply/Quote
Agree with everything. Wr needs to be in future needs area.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 06:24 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Agree with everything. Wr needs to be in future needs area.

WR may be a need to address in the 2019 or 2020 draft, but I really hope the Bengals don't draft another WR (especially early) in the 2018 draft.
I know there's skepticism of John Ross because he hasn't really played yet, but this Bengals team has used a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder on WR in the past two years and those players need to get a chance to get some significant snaps before the Bengals look for another replacement. And I hope that comes next year via cutting Brandon LaFell.

And I know you're high on Cortland Sutton, but maybe the 2019 draft will have better WRs than him. Equanimeous St. Brown from ND might be a potential early-mid first rounder with the size, speed, route tree, and hands that would go well with AJ Green (or groom as his replacement). I'm assuming ESB returns to school for 2018 rather than declare for the draft because he's had a down year this year in terms of numbers, but he could declare for 2018 draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Start with the O-Line and make it rock-solid.
Then move on to the D-Line and make it a penetrating unit.
Win in the trenches and everything else will fall into place.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
To me, the first and most important priority is finding a good center. That alone would vault the running game.

I realize that Ced sucks, but there are things you can do to help him out in pass pro to at least get him by. I also get the feeling that we are looking at fixing things solely through the draft (as usual).

The interior needs to be fixed ASAP.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 01:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: To me, the first and most important priority is finding a good center.  That alone would vault the running game.

I realize that Ced sucks, but there are things you can do to help him out in pass pro to at least get him by.  I also get the feeling that we are looking at fixing things solely through the draft (as usual).

The interior needs to be fixed ASAP.

This is a better draft for interior OL compared to OT anyway, but 2019 doesn't look like a great OT class either (except maybe Trey Adams, will have to see his continued development).
But I can definitely see that if RG and C can get solidified, Boling can help LT more.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: WR may be a need to address in the 2019 or 2020 draft, but I really hope the Bengals don't draft another WR (especially early) in the 2018 draft.
I know there's skepticism of John Ross because he hasn't really played yet, but this Bengals team has used a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder on WR in the past two years and those players need to get a chance to get some significant snaps before the Bengals look for another replacement. And I hope that comes next year via cutting Brandon LaFell.

And I know you're high on Cortland Sutton, but maybe the 2019 draft will have better WRs than him. Equanimeous St. Brown from ND might be a potential early-mid first rounder with the size, speed, route tree, and hands that would go well with AJ Green (or groom as his replacement). I'm assuming ESB returns to school for 2018 rather than declare for the draft because he's had a down year this year in terms of numbers, but he could declare for 2018 draft.

The reason I say wr is a need even if it's a cute need is simple. Our number 2 should be cut. Malone looks as advertised(bigger faster Marvin Jones) so we're solid there. But out slot is worry some. Boyd is struggling with what all draft pundits thought he would struggle with getting separation. His inability to create separation against slot cbs is very worrysome, approaching bust status.hell even Erickson is getting more separation than Boyd. Ross we have no idea. Esb is a high first to low first round pick and I believe he will come out this year. And yes ik I am extremely high on Sutton(best wr since aj green draft) but it's warranted. That said we have much bigger needs and only way I would be okay taking Sutton is if we get 2 extra high second rounders in a trade down.
Reply/Quote
I agree with OP. I think the first two drafted players should be O-Line. I am just not sold on LT from ND is the right choice but Quentin Nelson may be a good pick in round 1. A center in round two would be nice but Bengals usually do not pick non-skilled players high in the draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It needs to be build up interior oline in this draft. I'd Derwin James is gone, then trade back and grab Billy price in the early-mid20s. In second take Hernandez guard 1 in this draft. And honestly look for a lg if a premium one falls in the draft.
Reply/Quote
Probably a good draft to trade down in unless there's a big time player who falls to us.

Seems like most of the value is going to be late 1st round and 2nd round in this draft. Ultimately, you have to hit on some picks on the offensive line because rarely do any of top offensive linemen get to free agency, so this is the best way to find them.

Tight End is a sneaky need, but Kroft has played well enough where I don't think it'd super dire anymore.

I think if you can find a do it all Linebacker in this one, you have to take a shot.

Also, seems like there's a ton of depth in the secondary in this draft, so you can find safety help in the mid and late rounds.

Above all, we just need contributors from this draft class, especially on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Bengal team needs?

This team needs to be able to run the ball.

This team needs to be able to stop the run.

So, I'm going to say that focusing on selecting better blockers and tacklers should improve the quality of this team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 08:34 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Probably a good draft to trade down in unless there's a big time player who falls to us.

Seems like most of the value is going to be late 1st round and 2nd round in this draft. Ultimately, you have to hit on some picks on the offensive line because rarely do any of top offensive linemen get to free agency, so this is the best way to find them.

Tight End is a sneaky need, but Kroft has played well enough where I don't think it'd super dire anymore.

I think if you can find a do it all Linebacker in this one, you have to take a shot.

Also, seems like there's a ton of depth in the secondary in this draft, so you can find safety help in the mid and late rounds.

Above all, we just need contributors from this draft class, especially on the offensive line.
Roquon smith linebacker from Georgia looks like a top 5 talent
Reply/Quote
Tackle- Orlando Brown
Center
Guard- Will Hernandez
Quarterback- Baker Mayfield
Wide Receiver
Defensive End
Safety
Reply/Quote
A coach that doesn't cripple its own players by constantly ingraining them with stupid shit that doesn't work day-in and day-out..
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 11:51 PM)Interceptor Wrote: A coach that doesn't cripple its own players by constantly ingraining them with stupid shit that doesn't work day-in and day-out..

And an owner/GM that pinches pennies, only to waste dollars.  I.e.  failing to go a little extra to sign better quality talent, only to keep tired old veterans around to play out their contracts.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 11:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And an owner/GM that pinches pennies, only to waste dollars.  I.e.  failing to go a little extra to sign better quality talent, only to keep tired old veterans around to play out their contracts.

I think once we gut this part of the organization, we will be better. Yes, there will be growing pains, but it cannot be worse than what it is right now.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 12:12 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I think once we gut this part of the organization, we will be better. Yes, there will be growing pains, but it cannot be worse than what it is right now.

They say that you have to break a few eggs, in order to make an omelet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 12:12 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I think once we gut this part of the organization, we will be better. Yes, there will be growing pains, but it cannot be worse than what it is right now.

Yes it can... they can find a Rex Ryan, Joe Philbin, or a Chip Kelly to take a good team and run it right into the ground. There are more Rex Ryans than their are Andy Reid or Sean Payton.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote