Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Team Needs 2016 Draft
Hello,

I am new to your board so hopefully, one or two of you posters may be willing to help me. I am a member of a Dallas Cowboys Board and one of the many events we do is a team draft. This year, I have drawn the Bengals and would like to get a better idea of what team needs are. Fans usually know their team and they also know their cap situations and age of players etc.

I look at the Bengals and really, there do not seem to be a lot of needs but again, I don't see them a lot. Any help would appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

ABQCOWBOY
Reply/Quote
DT
LB
WR
S
C
Reply/Quote
You can't really go wrong with BPA in terms of defense.

We need a great 1-technique/NT, a designated pass rusher, our only good LB is Vontaze Burfict, we'll need a safety if we lose George Iloka, and CB since Dre Kirk is nothing special.

As for offense, I'd look at WR if we lose Marvin Jones.

How many rounds are you drafting?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:17 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: DT
LB
WR
S
C

Hello Royle,

Thank you for helping me out.  Would you say that DT and LB are close, in terms of importance or is one clearly more of a need?  Do the Bengals draft more towards need or do they use a Highest Rated Player on their board type approach?

Thank you,

ABQ
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:22 PM)ABQCOWBOY Wrote: Hello Royle,

Thank you for helping me out.  Would you say that DT and LB are close, in terms of importance or is one clearly more of a need?  Do the Bengals draft more towards need or do they use a Highest Rated Player on their board type approach?

Thank you,

ABQ

We almost always "trust the board" 
DT is the biggest need by a good amount. In theory, a NT is the need. But really any impact DL is a need. 

As for LB we need an athlete. No more big thumpers. We have those. Athletes are the need. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: You can't really go wrong with BPA in terms of defense.

We need a great 1-technique/NT, a designated pass rusher, our only good LB is Vontaze Burfict, we'll need a safety if we lose George Iloka, and CB since Dre Kirk is nothing special.

As for offense, I'd look at WR if we lose Marvin Jones.

How many rounds are you drafting?

Hello BD,

The first go round, we do 4 rounds.   Later, closer to the Draft and after the Combine, we do a full 7 round draft as well.

Thank you for your insight on your team, as well.

ABQ
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the board ABQCOWBOY.

A lot will depend on free agency of course, as far as who is retained and who is not. Depending on what happens with MLJ and Sanu... WR could become a huge priority. The same is true with the secondary.

As it stands right now, not knowing what will happen in FA, I would also say that adding a quality DT is a must, at least IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:26 PM)ABQCOWBOY Wrote: Hello BD,

The first go round, we do 4 rounds.   Later, closer to the Draft and after the Combine, we do a full 7 round draft as well.

Thank you for your insight on your team, as well.

ABQ

If you're going a full 7 rounds, then definitely add a center in there. I believe, other than 1 year, we've always taken at least 1 WR in every draft under Marvin Lewis. We also always take an OL.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Welcome to the board ABQCOWBOY.

A lot will depend on free agency of course, as far as who is retained and who is not. Depending on what happens with MLJ and Sanu... WR could become a huge priority. The same is true with the secondary.

As it stands right now, not knowing what will happen in FA, I would also say that adding a quality DT is a must, at least IMO.

Hello Bengalholic,

Yes, FA is always tricky.  Because there is no way to understand the effect of FA, we usually base the draft on exactly what you outline above.  We try to plan for departures but that's really all you can do.  After the draft, each participant writes up justification around their picks and then each participant rates everybody draft, based on your picks and your write up.

It passes the time in the off season.  I'm sure you guys do something similar.

Thank you providing info Bengalholic,

ABQ
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If you're going a full 7 rounds, then definitely add a center in there. I believe, other than 1 year, we've always taken at least 1 WR in every draft under Marvin Lewis. We also always take an OL.

Yeah, even in a 4 round draft, it's good to understand all team needs.  You may find yourself in a position where you need a Tackle or LB but the value at your pick might be Center.  If you know that, then you can go ahead and take a good player.  Because we have trades, it can sometimes prevent you from making a deal you didn't need to.

Good info, thank you,

ABQ
Reply/Quote
We don't like to spend big in FA, so if Pacman and Leon Hall are not retained I can see CB somehow becoming "BPA". Dre Kirkpatrick is not very good and Dennard is coming off injury.

The CB from Clemson will be at the top of the list.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:13 PM)ABQCOWBOY Wrote: Hello,

I am new to your board so hopefully, one or two of you posters may be willing to help me.  I am a member of a Dallas Cowboys Board and one of the many events we do is a team draft.  This year, I have drawn the Bengals and would like to get a better idea of what team needs are.  Fans usually know their team and they also know their cap situations and age of players etc.

I look at the Bengals and really, there do not seem to be a lot of needs but again, I don't see them a lot.  Any help would appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

ABQCOWBOY

I think consensus would be dt/lb/wr with cb/s/c being right behind. 
Reply/Quote
DT, LB, WR.  If they lose Marvin Jones, WR becomes much more important.
Reply/Quote
An interior pass rusher, an edge rusher, two coverage Lbers, corner, safety, WR, and Backup interior lineman.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
ABQCowboy, welcome to the board. Seems as the other members have hammered the point home, about what we fans feel the team needs are. So, I won't bother restating them.

It'll be interesting to see how your board's mock turns out. Please be sure to revisit this thread, and share the results with us.
Also, feel free to stick around and banter with us in the Smack Forum. We have plenty of fans of other teams, that are regulars in there. However, I can't think of any Cowboys fans that frequent.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: ABQCowboy, welcome to the board.  Seems as the other members have hammered the point home, about what we fans feel the team needs are.  So, I won't bother restating them.

It'll be interesting to see how your board's mock turns out.  Please be sure to revisit this thread, and share the results with us.
Also, feel free to stick around and banter with us in the Smack Forum.  We have plenty of fans of other teams, that are regulars in there.  However, I can't think of any Cowboys fans that frequent.
As for draft as others have stated, I think FA and who we bring back will determine our draft. As of now, I see a tie between WR and DT. Next I see safety. We need a 3 down LB, but they are tough to find early in the draft so at #24 I doubt we find a LB. But, if J. Smith drops, I can see us grabbing him as we have no issue drafting players who are top 5 or 10 that only dropped due to injury.

Or if smack is not your thing, may I suggest our around the NFL forum.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The biggest thing missing from the entire Bengal's team is a pass rushing RDE. MJ is solid, but doesn't get much pressure....not a "sudden" player.

If the Bengals had a Von Miller-type on the opposite side of Carlos and Atkins in the middle, they would be unstoppable. I would prioritize as speed rusher that could attack the QBs blindside.

They have good depth at nearly every other spot, but I could see drafting DT, CB, LB, WR, and G outside of that position based on what falls to them in terms of BPA.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 06:13 PM)ABQCOWBOY Wrote: Hello,

I am new to your board so hopefully, one or two of you posters may be willing to help me.  I am a member of a Dallas Cowboys Board and one of the many events we do is a team draft.  This year, I have drawn the Bengals and would like to get a better idea of what team needs are.  Fans usually know their team and they also know their cap situations and age of players etc.

I look at the Bengals and really, there do not seem to be a lot of needs but again, I don't see them a lot.  Any help would appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

ABQCOWBOY

Really depends on which of the team's current free agents it gets resigned.

Holes from 2015 which need to be addressed regardless of who's leaving in free agency would be SAM LB (the team would look for someone who is athletic, fast, can cover and is a good tackler). Think J Smith (Notre Dame) or Darran Lee (Ohio State). And another weak spot is C, but don't expect the team to fill that spot in round 1 or 2. We haven't spent a 1st round pick on a C since the 80's.

Positions we likely won't draft would be QB, OT, RB or TE unless some spectacular talent drops to our second round selection.

The Bengals have a history of taking 1st round CBs and we have two of them hitting the open market, so a first round CB with good cover skills is not out of the question. If one of the top CBs fall to the Bengals selection you could see them pull the trigger, especially if Adam Jones doesn't resign.

NT is aging and no real replacement on the roster. But don't expect that to be a 1st round selection. More likely a 3rd or 4th round pick as the guy will have a year or two to learn behind Peko.

We have a need for a edge rusher to add depth and become an eventual starter. If Noah Spence is available in the second round the team would take him in a heartbeat. He was kicked off the Ohio State team two years ago, but has kept his nose clean since and could be one of those draft steals in the second round. Frankly, though, if he plays in the NFL like he did at the Senior Bowl, he'd be great value at the Bengals 1st round selection.

The Bengals have had two 2nd round and a 3rd round DL projects turn into failures over the past few years, so don't look for them to draft a project early.

We'll take a WR at some point and possibly two of them. One has to be a kick returner though. Coleman out of Baylor gets mentioned as does Fuller out of Notre Dame (Fuller would be 3rd or 4th round). I do see Braxton Miller's name come up some, but he's a project, so don't look for the Bengals to pick him in the early rounds, if at all. If Marvin Jones leaves in free agency we'll be looking for someone who can play right away, either from the draft or from another team.

That's just my 2 cents worth. The team tends to draft with a blend of need and BPA. A guy playing on the field is more valuable than a higher rated guy on the bench who's waiting behind 3 other guys.

And just to make it all interesting, both our starting safeties are free agents. We have a SS who can take over already on the roster, but if both leave we'll need to draft a safety. We have a CB (Shaw) who can play FS.

Reply/Quote
DT, LB, and WR will most likely be the top 3 needs.

The draft is full of DT depth, so they could get a quality NT in the 1st round, but still get a contributor in the 3rd.

WR is also pretty deep in the first 2 rounds. They may be looking for a tall, red zone weapon. Tyler Boyd or even Doctson could make their way into stripes.

LB is the most tricky one. While the Bengals have Dawson, they are without Burfict and could lose Vinny Rey and Lamur. If Jaylon Smith or Jack is then in the 1st, they take him. But I don't see them taking another LB in the 1st. Maybe Lee.

CB/S depends on free agency. I could see the Bengals re-signing some of their own and maybe even another player out there (they like former 1st rounders so Claiborne may be in the mix).

And, of course, center is a big need. It hasn't sounded like the Bengals are too happy with his production and may be hard pressed to draft a replacement if the value is there. But, those are rumors.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote